View allAll Photos Tagged Canon5DMark2
Location: Holleweg, 8340 Sijsele [gps]
Accessibility: the domain is open to the public, the castle itself is not accesible
The Ryckevelde domain is situated at the border of the village of Sijsele, in the direction of Bruges. It is the largest wood on the territory of Damme. Here we are no longer in the polder area but in the sandy region. This region is by defenition much older than the rest of Damme. The area around Ryckevelde was already inhabited in prehistoric times.
The castle itself is fairly recent and is in a pretty good shape. The neogothic architecture already reveals the era in which it was built. Baron Gilles de Pélichy ordered its construction; the residence was erected between 1913 and 1929. Centrally the spiky tower catches the attention, a chapel is located in the left wing. At the back side there is a spacious garden with a big pond. from one of the numerous benches along the footpath you have a splendid view on the ensemble.
The oldest building of the domain is situated at the other side of the pond. The fortified farm dates back to the 17th century but is largely in a very bad condition except for the right side. This farm has a few remarkable characteristics you'd rather expect in a real castle. At the domain, friar Verleye founded the European Education centre in the 50's of the previous century.
'Het Speulderbos' is called ' the forest of the dancing trees'. The forest is not just mysterious, it is also very rare. It's a paradise for birds (of prey), deer, badgers and wild boars. So there is enough choice to have a good time!
On the west side of the village Vleuten is the ancient Ham-tower on an island in a canal. This seven-story donjon is the remnant of a water castle, knight-hof city of Ham. For the first time in a document from 1325 mentioned castle was initially built as a residential tower. It is suspected that it was built around 1260 which was strategically chosen for an inlet of the old Rhine river as it became more defensible. The castle was able to exercise the owner power of the surroundings. Several cases were Den Ham deployment of battle. In 1481 it was partially destroyed, then it was expanded to include a second tower. In 1536 the States of Utrecht recognized the castle as knight-hof city, the residents were then admitted to the Knighthood. In 1642 the gatehouse was rebuilt giving access to Den Ham. In 1857 the castle was owned by Willem Jan Royaards. One of the current owners is a descendant of him.
Around 1872 the castle wrong in dilapidated condition and was, at the western keep and part of the east wing after aborted. Between 1962 and 1975 the tower was restored. Today the tower is private property. The moated tower has five feet thick brick walls about 27 meters high. On top is applied include a bypass and the total height is approximately 35 meters. Inside, it has six floors and a basement with medieval girders are preserved.
When you have enough money € 1.900.000,-
Boxtel is a small town, but its big church shows that it was an important place once. Just outside the town you'll find a park in which lies this castle, Kasteel Stapelen. The entire complex was given a new look in early neo-Gothic style in 1857-1858, to fit the then popular ideas about what a medieval castle should look like. Towers were heightened, the facade of the chapel was renewed and countless battlements were added to places where there never had been any. Since 1915 the castle has been used as a monastery. In the Middle Ages a miracle occured here which is still celebrated each year with a big procession.
The area were now Gouda lies, was still covered with swamps and wet land around the year 1000. One of the most important rivers cutting through that area was the "Gouwe" river. Alongside its banks the first settlers came to live during the 11th and 12th centuries. Most people came to built a house around the fortified castle of the familyu "Van der Goude" (close to the present St. John's church). The small city began to grow and named itself Gouda" (after the "Van der Goude" family).
Around 1225 the Gouwe river was connected with the Old Rhine through a new canal. The estuary of the Gouwe in the IJsel river was transformed into a harbour, which attracted more and more traders (navigating between Flanders-France on the one hand, and Holland and the Baltic area on the other hand).
Gouda was chartered in 1272 and the counts brought their tollhouse right to the city. By then the Van der Goude family had disappeared and had been replaced by the lords of Beaumont, who built a new and imposing castle on the banks of the IJsel in 1361. Already around 1350 the city had expanded to its maximum and fortified walls were constructed. Although fires (1361) and the plague (1438) did not spare the city, Gouda continued to thrive.
The plague inspired the god-fearing people of Gouda to build numerous convents and chapels. In the 15th century Gouda was rich, ranked among the five most important cities of Holland and was as large as Amsterdam. One of the most famous sons of Gouda was the 16th century humanist Desiderius Erasmus. He was born here and received his education here. Gouda developed into a thriving trade centre during the 15th century, with the focus of its trade lying on beer and cloth production. During the 80 years war Gouda became politically and economically isolated, but recovered in the 17th century due to new industries and trades such as cheese-making, pipe-making and the production of wax candles.
Gouda had always remained an industrial beehive. Some of the most important products to come from here are : candles, soap, sirup, yarn, rope, machines, terra cotta pots, pipes, etc.....
A lonely tree
At a road where the road off
where lonesome is the road
at mid of no where
A lonely tree is standing there
waiting no one but the dust
dust of the passing time
tarnishing the color of this tree
this lonely tree to gray
praying in this lonely place
for the passing van
A gray lonely van
for the lonely bird
staying for a while
when the nights come
and days go
the lonely tree; praying there
when the war rages and peace,
walking shy
the lonely tree praying for the peace
no one is waiting there
but the lonely tree is waiting
the morning sun
waiting the rain in may
waiting winds from the north
waiting when no one is waiting there
and this lonely tree
gave a name for this nameless place
the land of the lonely tree.
sallam yassin
Rotterdam is unlike many other old Dutch cities, an extremely modern city. It is the only high-rise city in Netherlands with a real skyline. Rotterdam is along with Frankfurt, Paris, Warsaw and London in the European Summit of cities with high-rise buildings.There is still being built in the area around the river Maas. An example of this is the ' Kop van Zuid ' including the Wilhelmina pier. On this site the highest skyscrapers of Netherlands realized, the New Orleans (160 metres), Maas Tower (164 meters), the Baltimore (171 meters) and the Rotterdam (145 m). In the near future there will be still working to the Salmon Harbour Urban Tower (190 metres) and a tower in the Stationskwartier of 220 metres; the tallest building on Dutch soil.Not everything is so high; Other style icons are the cube houses and the pencil on Blaak, the Town Hall, Wholesale building, the Central Library, football stadium de Kuip and the building of the beehive.
Goudriaan is a village in the Dutch province of South Holland. It is a part of the municipality of Graafstroom, and lies about 25 km east of Rotterdam.
On 1 January 2006, the village of Goudriaan had 843 inhabitants. The built-up area of the village was 0.028 km², and contained 309 residences.
Goudriaan was a separate municipality until 1986, when it became part of Graafstroom
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Shooting Date/Time4-2-2012 12:41:14
Owner's Name
Tv( Shutter Speed )1/125
Av( Aperture Value )22
ISO Speed100
LensEF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length33.0 mm
'Once a landmark in the North Sea, for determining the position at sea and to warn the sailor for the dangerous sandbanks on the Zeeland coast '
Become obsolete by modern navigation equipment, now a museum ship in the port of Hellevoetsluis.
heath or heathland is a shrubland habitat found on mainly infertile acidic soils, characterised by open, low growing woody vegetation, often dominated by plants of the Ericaceae. It is similar to moorland, but is generally warmer and drier.
Heaths are widespread worldwide. They form extensive and highly diverse communities across Australia in humid and sub-humid areas. Fire regimes with recurring burning are required for the maintenance of the heathlands. Even more diverse though less widespread heath communities occur in Southern Africa. Extensive heath communities can also be found in California, New Caledonia, central Chile and along the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. In addition to these extensive heath areas, the vegetation type is also found in scattered locations across all continents, except Antarctica.
better view or press L
Due to the fact that the wind comes almost from West, the waves become the same direction, from W to E, and wash the sand away
To stop/make less this washout effect, to break the stronght of the waves - that's the reason of this pillars. In the northern part of Zeeland there are beaches , many km long, and there are this pillars, always two lines together, repeating so about 500m. Depending from tide/low tide you can see 2,0m or nothing from them.
Westkapelle (51°32′N, 3°26′E) is a village in the municipality of Veere on the island Walcheren, in the province Zeeland of the Netherlands. On 1 January 2005, it had a population of 2,671. Westkapelle is on the westernmost tip of Walcheren and is surrounded by the sea on three sides.
Westkapelle is mainly known because of its lighthouse, standing prominently at the entrance to the village. This tower is the remains of a church that burned down in the 18th century. In the 19th century, a light was added to the top so that it could serve as a lighthouse.
Westkapelle was a separate municipality from 1816 until 1997, when it was merged with Veere.
'Het Speulderbos' is called ' the forest of the dancing trees'. The forest is not just mysterious, it is also very rare. It's a paradise for birds (of prey), deer, badgers and wild boars. And in this time now you can see a lot of rays, with when you see it, a good composition. So there is enough choice to have a good time!
This wonderful medieval church is build right above the coast of the Gironde in France. The little village of Talmont-sur-Gironde is definitely worth a visit.
Originally cultivated in the Ottoman Empire (present-day Turkey), tulips were imported into Holland in the sixteenth century. When Carolus Clusius wrote the first major book on tulips in 1592, they became so popular that his garden was raided and bulbs stolen on a regular basis. As the Dutch Golden Age grew, so did this curvaceous and colorful flower. They became popular in paintings and festivals. In the mid-seventeenth century, tulips were so popular that they created the first economic bubble, known as "Tulip Mania" (tulipomania). As people bought up bulbs they became so expensive that they were used as money until the market in them crashed.
I took this on our way back from Durmheller about 5 minutes before the skys opened up and unleashed hell upon us. Rain, hail, and high winds pushed us all over the road on the way back to Calgary.
Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the picture on Explore!
heath or heathland is a shrubland habitat found on mainly infertile acidic soils, characterised by open, low growing woody vegetation, often dominated by plants of the Ericaceae. It is similar to moorland, but is generally warmer and drier.
Heaths are widespread worldwide. They form extensive and highly diverse communities across Australia in humid and sub-humid areas. Fire regimes with recurring burning are required for the maintenance of the heathlands. Even more diverse though less widespread heath communities occur in Southern Africa. Extensive heath communities can also be found in California, New Caledonia, central Chile and along the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. In addition to these extensive heath areas, the vegetation type is also found in scattered locations across all continents, except Antarctica.
The municipality of Schalkenmehren lies in the Vulkaneifel, a part of the Eifel known for its volcanic history, geographical and geological features, and even ongoing activity today, including gases that sometimes well up from the earth. It is roughly 4 km southsoutheast of Daun as the crow flies, at the northeast foot of the Hoher List, a stratovolcano which is home to an observatory. Several volcanic lakes, like the Schalkenmehren lake , the Weinfeld lake and the Gemünd laker, lie within the municipality’s limits.
The Schalkenmehrener lake is a popular bathing lake on which one may also windsurf.
The Zeedijk is a beautiful 17th-century dyke that walks like a ribbon through the Dordrecht polder landscape. In the last century, the dike was planted with trees, mostly poplars, but also ash trees. That happened after the Second War. The poplars on the Zeedijk are now more than 60 years old. It is a beautiful sight, as the trees line the dike. But there is a downside. The trees are increasingly causing problems due to branch breakage. The municipality of Dordrecht has now decided to saw off the beautiful trees on this dike and to change the appearance of this beautiful dike. Work has now begun on cutting it down. I think it is a shame and many with me. Most of us will only remember the old dyke from a photo.Most of the more than five hundred poplars have already been felled in the past two winters, so that a large part of the Zeedijk has changed from a green tunnel into a bare moonscape.
and wet land around the year 1000. One of the most important rivers cutting through that area was the "Gouwe" river. Alongside its banks the first settlers came to live during the 11th and 12th centuries. Most people came to built a house around the fortified castle of the familyu "Van der Goude" (close to the present St. John's church). The small city began to grow and named itself Gouda" (after the "Van der Goude" family).
Around 1225 the Gouwe river was connected with the Old Rhine through a new canal. The estuary of the Gouwe in the IJsel river was transformed into a harbour, which attracted more and more traders (navigating between Flanders-France on the one hand, and Holland and the Baltic area on the other hand).
Gouda was chartered in 1272 and the counts brought their tollhouse right to the city. By then the Van der Goude family had disappeared and had been replaced by the lords of Beaumont, who built a new and imposing castle on the banks of the IJsel in 1361. Already around 1350 the city had expanded to its maximum and fortified walls were constructed. Although fires (1361) and the plague (1438) did not spare the city, Gouda continued to thrive.
The plague inspired the god-fearing people of Gouda to build numerous convents and chapels. In the 15th century Gouda was rich, ranked among the five most important cities of Holland and was as large as Amsterdam. One of the most famous sons of Gouda was the 16th century humanist Desiderius Erasmus. He was born here and received his education here. Gouda developed into a thriving trade centre during the 15th century, with the focus of its trade lying on beer and cloth production. During the 80 years war Gouda became politically and economically isolated, but recovered in the 17th century due to new industries and trades such as cheese-making, pipe-making and the production of wax candles.
Gouda had always remained an industrial beehive. Some of the most important products to come from here are : candles, soap, sirup, yarn, rope, machines, terra cotta pots, pipes, etc.....
The city centre offers many possibilities for a real voyage of discovery. A city tour takes you along the harbours, the six highest mills in the world, and distilleries and malthouses. You can also follow the footsteps of Saint Liduina, one of the most famous Dutch saints, by admiring her beautiful relics, located in the Liduina Basiliek. The museums, galleries, workshops and specialty shops are definitely worth a visit.
Moreover, throughout the year, the city centre is the backdrop for a large number of public events and has wonderful parks to settle on. Schiedam can also be discovered from the water: from April till October you can take a tour on the Fluisterboot. There are also various mooring points for cruises in the city centre.
The story of the city
The museums of Schiedam tell the story of the city. Relive the olden days in the old grocer’s shop of the Nationaal Coöperatie Museum or in the Jenevermuseum Schiedam, where you can still have a sip of old genever or corn spirit. In the Windmill Museum De Nieuwe Palmboom you can see the miller at work and exhibitions showing the milling history of Schiedam.
In the Stedelijk Museum Schiedam you can enjoy Dutch modern and contemporary art, with Post War as the main exhibition theme. The museum is located in the restored Sint Jacobs Gasthuis and has a wonderful permanent collection of over 250 Cobra works.
The Wolwevershaven in the twenties
Dordrecht was one of the largest tug ports in our country. The river traffic to Antwerp and Rotterdam split for the Grand Master. At that time had no cargo on the Rhine own engines. Everything was towed or sailed. Almost all steam tugs disappeared in the sixties to the demolition.
Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.
By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop
By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.
In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.
The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.
Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.
Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.
.
The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,
Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.
In the name Oude Loo Castle, Oude translates to 'old' and Loo meant 'forest on sandy soil'. It is situated in the gardens behind the 17th century Royal Loo Palace.
Oude Loo Castle started out as a farm in the early 15th century, probably built by an Udo Taholt. Later that century it was owned by a Gerrit van Rijswijk who probably fortified the farm.
Later it came into the possession of the Bentinck family. Johan Bentinck rebuilt the castle around 1538-40 into the moated castle we see today. It was rebuilt in an U-shape when residential wings were built against the older front with the round corner towers. In those days it was used as a hunting lodge by Karel, Duke of Gelre.
In 1684 Prince William III, Stadtholder of Holland and Zeeland acquired the castle. He also used it as a hunting lodge. But because the castle soon became too small for his hunting parties he built Loo Palace at a short distance in 1686-88.
In 1795, when the French occupied Holland, the castle was used as a military hospital and the castle fell into neglect.
In 1806 Napoleon Bonaparte appointed his brother Louis Napoleon as King of The Netherlands. Louis resided in the castle during summers. He filled up the moat around the castle because in his youth it was predicted that he would die by drowning.
In 1904 Queen Wilhelmina of Orange ordered the restoration of the castle. This was done by the famous Dutch architect dr. PJH. Cuypers who also built the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and rebuilt De Haar Castle. Also in the 1950's and 1960's restoration works were carried out. The castle is now the private property of the Dutch Royal family who use it at a regular basis. The castle itself is not accessible but the grounds surrounding it are, during April and May. So when you want to take some shots you have six weeks to go.
regard jaap
Grass-topped dyke, located east of the Oranje dyke mill. Former entrance to Slijk harbour, codenamed Uncle Beach by the Allied forces during the landing at Vlissingen.
The first British troops to land on Walcheren did so on the fortified seafront at Vlissingen. Less heavily defended beaches outside the town and east of the harbor were rejected, the ground being flooded and the wrong side of the Walcheren Canal. The landing site, codenamed Uncle Beach by the Allied forces, was south-east of the town centre, near the Oranje dyke mill, in the Eastern or Dock harbour.
Around the Oranjemolen the town of Vlissingen is planning to realize a World War II memorial site. At this site information will be provided about Vlissingen and the Walcheren region during World War II, the Battle of the Scheldt and the consequences of World War II for the civilian population.