View allAll Photos Tagged towpath
Captured along the Wey Navigation between Weybridge and Guildford. The Wey Navigation is 15.3 miles long and has 12 locks.One helluva bike ride! July 2020.
C & O Canal Towpath near Georgetown
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, abbreviated as the C&O Canal, and occasionally referred to as the "Grand Old Ditch," operated from 1836 until 1924 parallel to the Potomac River in Maryland from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington, DC. The total length of the canal is about 184.5 miles (300 km). The elevation change of 605 ft (185 m) was accommodated with 74 canal locks. To enable the canal to cross relatively small streams, over 150 culverts were built. The crossing of major streams required the construction of 11 aqueducts (10 of which remain). The canal also extends through the 3120 ft (950 m) Paw Paw Tunnel. The principal cargo was coal from the Allegheny Mountains. The canal way is now maintained as a park, with a linear trail following the old towpath, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park.
The Coil (1997) by Frank Triggs
A dual level sculptured seat from timber in the form of a giant mooring capstan and coiled ropes.
Location: Adjacent to Prince William Henry Bridge.
The Coventry Canal dates from the early pioneering days of canal building in Britain and was promoted by a group of local business men with the chief aim in enabling the export of coal from their mines in north Warwickshire. In 1767 the Coventry Canal Company committee engaged James Brindley, the foremost canal engineer of the day, to survey a 38.5 mile route from Fradley to Coventry via Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth. The construction of the canal required an Act of Parliament, which received Royal Assent on the 29th January 1768. The canal company appointed Brindley as engineer and surveyor and work began in Foleshill Parish, probably at Longford, in May 1768. The work proceeded in both directions and within six months coal was being transported from Bedworth to Longford. The canal reached the Coventry Basin on the 10th August 1769 where according to the Coventry Mercury newspaper;
"two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with loud cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival".
James Brindley was also the engineer and surveyor of the Oxford Canal which was under construction at that time; Brindley anticipated that both canals would join together near Coventry to create a canal linking the Thames to the Mersey. The site of the junction was intended to be at Gosford Green to the east of Coventry City Centre, but the Oxford Canal Company decided that they wanted a junction at Bedworth instead. This would have saved the Coventry Canal Company the expense of building a branch to Gosford Green, but would also have deprived them of several miles of toll revenues. The dispute between the two companies dragged on and resulted in the Coventry Canal Company dismissing Brindley in September 1769 for his perceived clash of interests. A compromise was eventually agreed whereby the junction was built at Longford in 1777 with the canals running parallel alongside one another for a mile from Hawkesbury.
The Coventry Canal had reached Atherstone in 1772 but financial problems resulted in a lengthy break in construction and the final link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1790. The completion of the link enabled goods traffic to travel from northern England to the south through Longford and meant that the four and a half miles from Longford to Coventry effectively become a branch serving the city.
The walk along the Grand Union Canal in Hatton, Warwickshire.
This section from the Dark Lane Bridge (bridge no. 55) towards the Station Road canal bridge (bridge no. 56).
The towpath was quite muddy down here. Plenty of cyclists, walkers and dog walkers alike.
panoramic
Part of the rough muddy towpath is resurfaced alongside the Sankey Canal, Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire.
(Original photograph shot on film)
The footbridge connects Deansgate railway station with the Deansgate-Castlefield stop on the Metrolink tram system.
The canal system provides this intersection to Birmingham from the Kidderminster and Wolverhampton canal at Stourton.
Bridge 3.
Prince William Henry Bridge.
Foleshill Road.
Respect the Canal
The Coventry Canal dates from the early pioneering days of canal building in Britain and was promoted by a group of local business men with the chief aim in enabling the export of coal from their mines in north Warwickshire. In 1767 the Coventry Canal Company committee engaged James Brindley, the foremost canal engineer of the day, to survey a 38.5 mile route from Fradley to Coventry via Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth. The construction of the canal required an Act of Parliament, which received Royal Assent on the 29th January 1768. The canal company appointed Brindley as engineer and surveyor and work began in Foleshill Parish, probably at Longford, in May 1768. The work proceeded in both directions and within six months coal was being transported from Bedworth to Longford. The canal reached the Coventry Basin on the 10th August 1769 where according to the Coventry Mercury newspaper;
"two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with loud cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival".
James Brindley was also the engineer and surveyor of the Oxford Canal which was under construction at that time; Brindley anticipated that both canals would join together near Coventry to create a canal linking the Thames to the Mersey. The site of the junction was intended to be at Gosford Green to the east of Coventry City Centre, but the Oxford Canal Company decided that they wanted a junction at Bedworth instead. This would have saved the Coventry Canal Company the expense of building a branch to Gosford Green, but would also have deprived them of several miles of toll revenues. The dispute between the two companies dragged on and resulted in the Coventry Canal Company dismissing Brindley in September 1769 for his perceived clash of interests. A compromise was eventually agreed whereby the junction was built at Longford in 1777 with the canals running parallel alongside one another for a mile from Hawkesbury.
The Coventry Canal had reached Atherstone in 1772 but financial problems resulted in a lengthy break in construction and the final link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1790. The completion of the link enabled goods traffic to travel from northern England to the south through Longford and meant that the four and a half miles from Longford to Coventry effectively become a branch serving the city.
Leicester Causeway.
Towpath entrance
The Coventry Canal dates from the early pioneering days of canal building in Britain and was promoted by a group of local business men with the chief aim in enabling the export of coal from their mines in north Warwickshire. In 1767 the Coventry Canal Company committee engaged James Brindley, the foremost canal engineer of the day, to survey a 38.5 mile route from Fradley to Coventry via Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth. The construction of the canal required an Act of Parliament, which received Royal Assent on the 29th January 1768. The canal company appointed Brindley as engineer and surveyor and work began in Foleshill Parish, probably at Longford, in May 1768. The work proceeded in both directions and within six months coal was being transported from Bedworth to Longford. The canal reached the Coventry Basin on the 10th August 1769 where according to the Coventry Mercury newspaper;
"two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with loud cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival".
James Brindley was also the engineer and surveyor of the Oxford Canal which was under construction at that time; Brindley anticipated that both canals would join together near Coventry to create a canal linking the Thames to the Mersey. The site of the junction was intended to be at Gosford Green to the east of Coventry City Centre, but the Oxford Canal Company decided that they wanted a junction at Bedworth instead. This would have saved the Coventry Canal Company the expense of building a branch to Gosford Green, but would also have deprived them of several miles of toll revenues. The dispute between the two companies dragged on and resulted in the Coventry Canal Company dismissing Brindley in September 1769 for his perceived clash of interests. A compromise was eventually agreed whereby the junction was built at Longford in 1777 with the canals running parallel alongside one another for a mile from Hawkesbury.
The Coventry Canal had reached Atherstone in 1772 but financial problems resulted in a lengthy break in construction and the final link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1790. The completion of the link enabled goods traffic to travel from northern England to the south through Longford and meant that the four and a half miles from Longford to Coventry effectively become a branch serving the city.
A pretty pink flower quite regular along the canal. Regualr bistort also grows around here in the park and on the banks of the Lune.
From the Prince William Henry Bridge, the canal passes a winding hole and the site of the wharf.
The woodland along with the waterside vegetation on the tow path side frames the vista of the Courtaulds clock tower and gives the canal a tranquil character.
The Coventry Canal dates from the early pioneering days of canal building in Britain and was promoted by a group of local business men with the chief aim in enabling the export of coal from their mines in north Warwickshire. In 1767 the Coventry Canal Company committee engaged James Brindley, the foremost canal engineer of the day, to survey a 38.5 mile route from Fradley to Coventry via Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth. The construction of the canal required an Act of Parliament, which received Royal Assent on the 29th January 1768. The canal company appointed Brindley as engineer and surveyor and work began in Foleshill Parish, probably at Longford, in May 1768. The work proceeded in both directions and within six months coal was being transported from Bedworth to Longford. The canal reached the Coventry Basin on the 10th August 1769 where according to the Coventry Mercury newspaper;
"two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with loud cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival".
James Brindley was also the engineer and surveyor of the Oxford Canal which was under construction at that time; Brindley anticipated that both canals would join together near Coventry to create a canal linking the Thames to the Mersey. The site of the junction was intended to be at Gosford Green to the east of Coventry City Centre, but the Oxford Canal Company decided that they wanted a junction at Bedworth instead. This would have saved the Coventry Canal Company the expense of building a branch to Gosford Green, but would also have deprived them of several miles of toll revenues. The dispute between the two companies dragged on and resulted in the Coventry Canal Company dismissing Brindley in September 1769 for his perceived clash of interests. A compromise was eventually agreed whereby the junction was built at Longford in 1777 with the canals running parallel alongside one another for a mile from Hawkesbury.
The Coventry Canal had reached Atherstone in 1772 but financial problems resulted in a lengthy break in construction and the final link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1790. The completion of the link enabled goods traffic to travel from northern England to the south through Longford and meant that the four and a half miles from Longford to Coventry effectively become a branch serving the city.
The Coil (1997) by Frank Triggs
A dual level sculptured seat from timber in the form of a giant mooring capstan and coiled ropes.
Location: Adjacent to Prince William Henry Bridge.
The Coventry Canal dates from the early pioneering days of canal building in Britain and was promoted by a group of local business men with the chief aim in enabling the export of coal from their mines in north Warwickshire. In 1767 the Coventry Canal Company committee engaged James Brindley, the foremost canal engineer of the day, to survey a 38.5 mile route from Fradley to Coventry via Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth. The construction of the canal required an Act of Parliament, which received Royal Assent on the 29th January 1768. The canal company appointed Brindley as engineer and surveyor and work began in Foleshill Parish, probably at Longford, in May 1768. The work proceeded in both directions and within six months coal was being transported from Bedworth to Longford. The canal reached the Coventry Basin on the 10th August 1769 where according to the Coventry Mercury newspaper;
"two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with loud cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival".
James Brindley was also the engineer and surveyor of the Oxford Canal which was under construction at that time; Brindley anticipated that both canals would join together near Coventry to create a canal linking the Thames to the Mersey. The site of the junction was intended to be at Gosford Green to the east of Coventry City Centre, but the Oxford Canal Company decided that they wanted a junction at Bedworth instead. This would have saved the Coventry Canal Company the expense of building a branch to Gosford Green, but would also have deprived them of several miles of toll revenues. The dispute between the two companies dragged on and resulted in the Coventry Canal Company dismissing Brindley in September 1769 for his perceived clash of interests. A compromise was eventually agreed whereby the junction was built at Longford in 1777 with the canals running parallel alongside one another for a mile from Hawkesbury.
The Coventry Canal had reached Atherstone in 1772 but financial problems resulted in a lengthy break in construction and the final link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1790. The completion of the link enabled goods traffic to travel from northern England to the south through Longford and meant that the four and a half miles from Longford to Coventry effectively become a branch serving the city.
An underpass along the towpath at Great Falls. Incidentally, this was the first photo I printed out on paper.
The Delaware from the New York side, along the D&H Towpath Trail. This taken during a brief period of intense sunlight, hence the contrast.
Canon EOS 60D and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8.
Raw Conversion Adobe Camera Raw 8.1.
Post Processing Photoshop CS6
I rode down with Ben along the Leeds - Liverpool canal towpath on Saturday morning to his swimming lessons. We met up with Shar and Luke for breakfast afterwards. A great start to the weekend.
The Pernet family posing for a group portrait on a bridge that carried the towpath for the old Schuylkill Canal over Abrams Run (Crow Creek), between Port Kennedy and Bridgeport, Pennsylvania. Pictured from L-R: Al Pernet, Ada R. Pernet (nee Griffith), wife of Emile B. Pernet, with her son Donald, her son John "Jack" Pernet, Al's daughter Hazel, and Al's wife Nellie (nee Deem) holding their son Brower Pernet. In front of the railing is Eareckson Pernet, another child of Al and Nellie. Note the Pennsylvania Railroad's main line in the background, as well as the canopy of a small pleasure-craft that must be moored to the small bridge.
We are not too far from Hopewell Furnace, a historic, preserved village, where each building has a little speaker with a period actor telling you things. It was fun to hear all the different ways they pronounced "SKOO-kle."
At least, that's how I pronounce it…
View tons of historical maps of the Schuylkill Navigation.
Wikipedia on the Schuylkill Navigation, 1827-1947, 108 miles, Philadelphia to Reading.
We were doing a Civil War living history for the National Park Service at the C&O Canal when Anne discovered that the park's bike volunteers had free loaner bicycles available. She took off her hoops, pulled the back hem of her skirt up between her legs and tucked it into her waist to create makeshift bloomers and then proceeded to pedal her way around the camp and visitor's center. And to keep her costume historically correct, she wore her bonnet over her bike helmet, although it occasionally slid off the back. :-)
The Coventry Canal dates from the early pioneering days of canal building in Britain and was promoted by a group of local business men with the chief aim in enabling the export of coal from their mines in north Warwickshire. In 1767 the Coventry Canal Company committee engaged James Brindley, the foremost canal engineer of the day, to survey a 38.5 mile route from Fradley to Coventry via Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth. The construction of the canal required an Act of Parliament, which received Royal Assent on the 29th January 1768. The canal company appointed Brindley as engineer and surveyor and work began in Foleshill Parish, probably at Longford, in May 1768. The work proceeded in both directions and within six months coal was being transported from Bedworth to Longford. The canal reached the Coventry Basin on the 10th August 1769 where according to the Coventry Mercury newspaper;
"two boats laden with coal were brought to this city from this side of Bedworth. Being the first ones, they were received with loud cheers by a number of people who had assembled to witness their arrival".
James Brindley was also the engineer and surveyor of the Oxford Canal which was under construction at that time; Brindley anticipated that both canals would join together near Coventry to create a canal linking the Thames to the Mersey. The site of the junction was intended to be at Gosford Green to the east of Coventry City Centre, but the Oxford Canal Company decided that they wanted a junction at Bedworth instead. This would have saved the Coventry Canal Company the expense of building a branch to Gosford Green, but would also have deprived them of several miles of toll revenues. The dispute between the two companies dragged on and resulted in the Coventry Canal Company dismissing Brindley in September 1769 for his perceived clash of interests. A compromise was eventually agreed whereby the junction was built at Longford in 1777 with the canals running parallel alongside one another for a mile from Hawkesbury.
The Coventry Canal had reached Atherstone in 1772 but financial problems resulted in a lengthy break in construction and the final link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1790. The completion of the link enabled goods traffic to travel from northern England to the south through Longford and meant that the four and a half miles from Longford to Coventry effectively become a branch serving the city.