View allAll Photos Tagged stpatrick

St Patrick (RC)

 

A post-war church in the Early Christian style, designed by local architect Anthony J. Rossi. Several furnishings were sourced by the architect in Italy. The hall is the earliest surviving parish building and was built in c.1870 as a senior RC school. In 1841, the Derwent Iron Company (from 1864 Consett Iron Company) was founded whose ironworks and their subsidiaries were the major employer in the area until their closure in 1980. Many of the workers in the mid-nineteenth century came from Ireland, escaping the potato famine.

 

A Catholic mission was founded in Blackhill in 1854 (qv). By c.1870, senior and infant school buildings had been erected in Victoria Road. Mass was said in the school on Sundays by a priest from Blackhill. On 18 April 1926, the new parish of St Patrick’s was erected, with Canon John O’Donoghue as the first parish priest. Land was bought from the Consett Urban District Council for a new church (in Victoria Road) and for a new school (in Stanley Street). In 1927, new senior, junior and infant schools were opened in Stanley Street. The nineteenth-century senior school building then was converted for use as a temporary church, while the former junior school was used as a hall. By 1957, preparations were underway for the building of a new church. The architect was Anthony Joseph Rossi (1916-71), who had been born in Consett of Italian parents. He had trained as architect at Sheffield University, after which he worked for Durham County Council. In 1952, he opened his private practice in Consett. The church of St Pius X, Consett (now replaced with a new church) was built to his designs in 1954-55.

 

In January 1957, the hall (the former junior school) was demolished to make space for the new church. (Auxiliary) Bishop James Cunningham laid the foundation stone on 5 December 1957, the church and adjoining presbytery were completed by autumn 1959 and opened by Bishop Cunningham on 4 November 1959. The contractor was John Cummings of Sunderland. The church seated 505; the overall cost was around £60,000, with the marble high altar alone costing £3,000. ‘To ensure comfort in kneeling and sitting, a prototype of the specially designed pew was made by the pew manufacturers, Messrs Nixons (Shopfitters), of Newcastle’ (NCC, 112).

 

The former temporary church and school building to the rear of the site was converted to a hall. Post-Vatican II changes included the removal of the reredos, altar rails and pulpit. Inlaid Carrara marble panels from the pulpit were incorporated into a new lectern.

 

The church faces northeast. This description uses conventional liturgical orientation' The church is built in brown engineering bricks in garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings (from Baxter’s quarry near Otterburn) and Westmorland slate roofs.

 

The plan is longitudinal, comprising an aisled nave with side chapels. The gabled west elevation has a large semi-circular recess under a keyed arch. The west rose window has an engaged stone shaft, as well as stone bands to top, left and right, combining references to the monstrance and the cross. Below are the three main entrances. The aisles are shorter than the nave and do not extend to the west elevation. Both are terminated by taller bays under cross roofs. The bay at the northwest is another entrance porch. The east end of the south aisle is terminated in a similar way, while at the northeast the Lady Chapel projects transept-like. The straight-ended east end has a blind wall with a cross in bricks.

 

The narthex has the gallery stair to the northwest and the repository in the former baptistery to the southwest. Above the narthex is the organ gallery with the pipe organ. The west window features an IHS and a cross in coloured glass. The six-bay nave has a panelled ceiling, whose central portion is canted. The nave arcade rests on stone columns. Each bay has a pair of short round-headed clerestory windows, and a pair of longer round-headed aisle windows. The aisles have pitched ceilings (externally: lean-to roofs) with transverse arches. The Lady Chapel has a large five-light window to the north with coloured glass, lighting the seating area in front of the arch to the chapel proper. Beyond arcaded marble rails is another two-light window with modern coloured glass and the Sicilian marble altar and reredos with a statue of the Virgin Mary.

 

At the northeast corner of the nave is the baptismal font, of marble with mosaic and marble inserts, and an elaborate paschal candle stand (in memory of Michael and Elizabeth Donelly). The sanctuary has a marble-panelled dado below two pairs of windows with abstract coloured glass on each side. A crucifix hangs below the segmentally curved baldacchino (made in Italy) whose underside features the dove of the Holy Spirit. The altar of marble has a quatrefoil with the Agnus Dei in relief in front of a gold mosaic background. The tabernacle is placed on a plain shelf.

 

The south aisle has a shallow niche with a shrine to the Sacred Heart with a statue below a circular window with the Sacred Heart. Other statues in the church include St Patrick and St Augustine. The Stations are unframed timber reliefs, chosen by Rossi in a workshop in Florence, Italy.

 

taking-stock.org.uk/building/consett-st-patrick/

Out all night with Irish rainbow kitsch

dublin, st patrick's

Do what better, I wonder?!?!?

 

From tumblr

#smile #sun #montreal #stpatrick2017 #hapiness

Parade St-Patrick

The Foundation Stone for the first St Patrick’s Church was laid on St Patrick’s Day 1836 and was consecrated ‘with all the pomp and formality of the Romish Church’, on May 28th 1837. By 1854 the existing Church was in poor repair and Dean Coffey OFM commissioned a new Church the Foundation stone of which was laid on August 13th 1854. The tower and spire were not added until the 1880’s.

 

In 1936 a new church was built on the site to meet the needs of a growing congregation. The main body of the church was demolished leaving the tower and spire intact, the stone was cut in half, the windows, corbels and crosses were all reused and a new St Patrick’s emerged looking very similar to the old, but larger overall.

 

In 1986 St Patrick’s became the Cathedral Church in the new diocese of Parramatta, an area, which stretches in a wedge from Rydalmere to Blackheath. On 19th February 1996 this beautiful though small cathedral was destroyed by fire - only the stonewalls remained. Our Bishop at the time, Very Rev Bede Heather, said then ‘a new St, Patrick’s will rise from these ashes’ and it has.

 

On November 29th 2003 the new St Patrick’s Cathedral was dedicated. The old St Patrick’s Cathedral is now a Blessed Sacrament Chapel and adjoining it is a large contemporary Cathedral. The design of Mitchell, Giurgola and Thorp incorporates the dictums of Vatican 11 and is beautified with the work of Australian artists and craftsmen and women. As can be seen in its innovative architecture, St Patrick’s the first Australian Cathedral of the new millennium continues its tradition of breaking new ground.

Source: St Pat's website

St Patricks Cathedral Details in NYC

2026 St. Patrick's Day Rugby Tournament

Daffin Park, Savannah, Chatham County GA

[mmp_4615-7500]

© 2026 Mike McCall

© 2022 Mike McCall

_Burlington Vermont Ruggers_ [4326-2022Rugby]

Burlington Vermont RFC

Baltimore Chesapeake RFC

2022 St. Patrick's Day Rugby Tournament

Daffin Park, Savannah, GA

St-Patrick's Day Parade, Quebec City

Beautiful Guy at the St. Patrick's Day Parade in NYC

St Patrick's Day Parade,

March 13, 2016, Bloor Street, Toronto.

 

Only the street shots - thestreetzine.blogspot.com/

Titanic Belfast goes green for St Patricks Day - www.titanicbelfast.com

St. Paddy's day is a time for luck! By our very own Sarah Skinner

Titanic Belfast goes green for St Patricks Day - www.titanicbelfast.com

Ann Scott at St. Patrick's Day, London 2008.

Police survey the scene during the 2007 Brisbane Saint Patrick's Day Parade

Titanic Belfast goes green for St Patricks Day - www.titanicbelfast.com

Irish beef stew made with Guinness Stout. Irish bread, green beer (bottle)

1 2 3 5 7 ••• 79 80