View allAll Photos Tagged side
Side shot of the Eos 650 Mounted with the 28-135mm
Strobist:
Taken using 2 'Xmas light Striplights' (Located Above subject, and Cam Left. As well as a 'Xmas Light tissue box softbox' located on the right next to the subject. Set up shot here
Southside side 01 Denning - GM 6v92TTA Denning 'Landseer' body ex (342) TV 1640 Murrays, Adelaide, S.A.-ex (120) EBJ 076New Wrights Coaches, Cheltenham, Vic. seen here crossing currie st on the 23-9-2013
At the 7th photo set up for WGRF, we were treated to a tour of CN's Woodcrest Shops. We were asked not to post pictures taken inside the shops, but I did like how the sun was cross lighting this electrical conduit and control box
Homewood, IL
Photo by John Eagan
My first complete hairstyle set. I was hoping to get one of each eye color but somehow ended up with 2 blues and 2 aqua's. Might need to think about doing some trades;)
Side Ancient City
Side (Greek: Σίδη) is an ancient Greek city on the southern Mediterranean coast of Turkey, a resort town and one of the best-known classical sites in the country. It lies near Manavgat and the village of Selimiye, 78 km from Antalya in the province of Antalya.
It is located on the eastern part of the Pamphylian coast, which lies about 20 km east of the mouth of the Eurymedon River. Today, as in antiquity, the ancient city is situated on a small north-south peninsula about 1 km long and 400 m across
History[edit]
Strabo and Arrian both record that Side was founded by Greek settlers from Cyme in Aeolis, a region of western Anatolia. This most likely occurred in the 7th century BC. Its tutelary deity was Athena, whose head adorned its coinage.
Dating from the tenth century B.C., its coinage bore the head of Athena (Minerva), the patroness of the city, with a legend. Its people, a piratical horde, quickly forgot their own language to adopt that of the aborigines.
Possessing a good harbour for small-craft boats, Side's natural geography made it one of the most important places in Pamphylia and one of the most important trade centres in the region. According to Arrian, when settlers from Cyme came to Side, they could not understand the dialect. After a short while, the influence of this indigenous tongue was so great that the newcomers forgot their native Greek and started using the language of Side. Excavations have revealed several inscriptions written in this language. The inscriptions, dating from the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC, remain undeciphered, but testify that the local language was still in use several centuries after colonisation. Another object found in the excavations at Side, a basalt column base from the 7th century BC and attributable to the Neo-Hittites, provides further evidence of the site's early history. The name Side may be Anatolian in origin, meaning pomegranate.
Next to no information exists concerning Side under Lydian and Persian sovereignty.
Alexander the Great
Vespasian Gate
Temple of Apollo
Alexander the Great occupied Side without a struggle in 333 BC. Alexander left only a single garrison behind to occupy the city. This occupation, in turn, introduced the people of Side to Hellenistic culture, which flourished from the 4th to the 1st century BC. After Alexander's death, Side fell under the control of one of Alexander's generals, Ptolemy I Soter, who declared himself king of Egypt in 305 BC. The Ptolemaic dynasty controlled Side until it was captured by the Seleucid Empire in the 2nd century BC. Yet, despite these occupations, Side managed to preserve some autonomy, grew prosperous, and became an important cultural centre.
Walls of the ancient theatre of Side
In 190 BC a fleet from the Greek island city-state of Rhodes, supported by Rome and Pergamum, defeated the Seleucid King Antiochus the Great's fleet, which was under the command of the fugitive Carthaginian general Hannibal. The defeat of Hannibal and Antiochus the Great meant that Side freed itself from the overlord-ship of the Seleucid Empire. The Treaty of Apamea (188 BC) forced Antiochus to abandon all European territories and to cede all of Asia Minor north of the Taurus Mountains to Pergamum. However, the dominion of Pergamum only reached de facto as far as Perga, leaving Eastern Pamphylia in a state of uncertain freedom. This led Attalus II Philadelphus to construct a new harbour in the city of Attalia (the present Antalya), although Side already possessed an important harbour of its own. Between 188 and 36 BC Side minted its own money, tetradrachms showing Nike and a laurel wreath (the sign of victory).
In the 1st century BC, Side reached a peak when the Cilician pirates established their chief naval base and a centre for their slave-trade.
Romans
The consul Servilius Vatia defeated these brigands in 78 BC and later the Roman general Pompey in 67 BC, bringing Side under the control of Rome and beginning its second period of ascendancy, when it established and maintained a good working relationship with the Roman Empire.
Emperor Augustus reformed the state administration and placed Pamphylia and Side in the Roman province of Galatia in 25 BC, after the short reign of Amyntas of Galatia between 36 and 25 BC. Side began another prosperous period as a commercial centre in Asia Minor through its trade in olive oil. Its population grew to 60,000 inhabitants. This period would last well into the 3rd century AD. Side also established itself as a slave-trading centre in the Mediterranean. Its large commercial fleet engaged in acts of piracy, while wealthy merchants paid for such tributes as public works, monuments, and competitions as well as the games and gladiator fights. Most of the extant ruins at Side date from this period of prosperity.
One of the maps (portolani) of Piri Reis, taken from the Kitab-i Bahriye, which Piri produced in several editions, supplementing in 1520, but integrating it into subsequent editions.
Side was the home of Eustathius of Antioch, of the philosopher Troilus, of the fifth-century ecclesiastical writer Philip; of the famous lawyer Tribonian
This is a Team Associated TC4 with a 2G Mitsubishi Eclipse body, made by HPI, painted with an Eagle Talon scheme (black roof and spoiler). Everything in the car is stock except for the receiver (upgraded to a DSM Spektrum Micro Pro reciever) and I race it at the local track.
At Ongar station, Great Western Railway locomotives are seen passing each other. Large PRairie class, 4141 and Manor Class 7820 "Dinmore Manor" show their similarities.
Ongar
Epping Ongar Railway Steam Gala
6th June 2015
In the first half of the 14th century, the king and emperor Charles IV enlarged the Romanesque building and so a Gothic palace with a vaulted interior for state purposes and a band of arcades on its northern side came to be. During the reign of his son Wenceslas IV, two perpendicular wings were added and All Saints' Chapel was reconstructed.
The palace was deserted for entire eighty years of the stormy 15th century. After 1483, the king Vladislav Jagiello returned to Prague Castle and commenced the last large-scale reconstruction of the palace. The magnificent solemn Vladislav Hall was added to it and when designing it, the architect Benedikt Ried combined the art of the Late Gothic with elements of the newly arriving Renaissance style. The perpendicular palace wing named after Vladislav's son Ludvig is also the work of B. Ried. After the succession of the Habsburgs to the Bohemian throne, the interiors of the Old Royal Palace were used for coronation festivities and diets and as conference rooms, offices and depositories. New dwelling quarters were built to the west of the palace, in the southern part of the Castle complex. After the catastrophic fire which occurred in 1541, the Diet and All Saints' Church were rebuilt.
The Theresian Wing originated in the course of the reconstruction of the Castle in the 18th century. During the 20th century it has been subjected to several reconstructions. In 1993 it was adapted for exhibitions of creative art.
The Vladislav Hall
From the 16th century, the Vladislav Hall served particularly royal state purposes. It was the scene of coronation festivities and banquets, knights' tournaments and markets with artistic and luxurious goods. The Vladislav Hall still partly fulfils the state function: the elections of the president of the Czech Republic used to take place there and ceremonial gatherings connected with important days in the life of this country are held there still.
Neighbouring on the Vladislav Hall is the Diet, which through the furnishings of its interior affords an idea of the way in which the proceedings of the Diet took place after 1627, and also All Saints' Church. From the south-western corner of the Vladislav Hall a portal leads to the Ludwig Wing with the offices of the Czech Chancellery. In 1618, its second room witnessed the beginning of the uprising of the Czech Estates when two governors and a scribe were thrown into the Castle ditch from its window. The uprising of the Czech Estates was the first conflict of the Thirty Years' War (1618 - 1648).
The observation gallery on the southern wall of the Vladislav Hall affords a beautiful view of the Garden on the Ramparts and of Prague.
Nowadays, the exit from the Vladislav Hall is formed by the Riders' Staircase, built originally to enable knights to enter the hall on horseback in order to take part in the jousting competitions held in it. The staircase is vaulted with a complicated Late Gothic rib vault.
All Saints' Church
The All Saints' Church was built by Petr Parler on the site of the Romanesque palace chapel, also consecrated to All Saints. According to old sources, the church was magnificently decorated in the manner of Sainte Chapelle in Paris. However, after the great fire of 1541, only its peripheral walls remained.
In the course of its renewal, the church was extended as far as the facade of the Vladislav Hall and during later modifications it was connected with it by means of a portal.
From the new eastern span of the single deck San Francisco Bay Bridge between Yerba Buena Island and Oakland with the old double-decker bridge in demolition to the left.
•Maker: Herter Brothers (1864–1906)
•Date: 1879
•Geography: Made in New York, New York, United States
•Culture: American
•Medium: Rosewood, brass, mother-of-pearl, and reproduction upholstery
•Dimensions: 14½ × 19½ × 44 in. (36.8 × 49.5 × 111.8 cm)
•Classification: Furniture
•Credit Line: Gift of Barrie A. and Deedee Wigmore, 2014
•Accession Number: 2014.530.1.2
William H. Vanderbilt, son of Cornelius “Commodore” Vanderbilt, inherited a vast fortune and a lucrative transport business, which he expanded exponentially, becoming one of the wealthiest men in America. In 1879, to mark his elevated social and economic status, he built a mansion that spanned an entire city block on Fifth Avenue, between Fifty-First and Fifty-Second Streets. He commissioned Herter Brothers, one of the premier cabinetmaking firms in New York City, to decorate and furnish his home. In devising distinct decorative schemes for each room of the mansion, Herter Brothers drew inspiration from a wide range of historical styles and utilized expensive, exotic materials.
Vanderbilt’s library was conceived as a masculine, solemn, and quiet space to house antique works of art and bound volumes. The woodwork and furnishings were rosewood carved in a Renaissance style and inlaid with brass and mother-of-pearl swags utilizing a graduated pearl motif, recalling a similar leitmotif from the drawing room. The ceiling was embellished with gold and small pieces of mirror glass. The delicacy of this side chair, one of a pair, belied the heaviness and monumentality of the room, notably the large library table, also in the Museum’s collection. The design on the chair’s back is virtually identical to that adorning each corner of the tabletop. The sumptuous quality of the room was accentuated by its fabric wall covering and upholstery in a rich cut velvet design, a contemporary replication of which now covers the chair.
Signatures, Inscriptions, and Markings
Marking: One chair bears graphite inscription, “Mr Vanderbilt Libra[r]y” on inside of seat rail.
236
Provenance
William H. Vanderbilt (1821-1885), New York, New York; Josephine Clardy Fox of New York and El Paso, TX, until 1969; Centennial Museum at University of Texas, El Paso, until 2009; Sold by Charlton Hall, Columbia, South Carolina, December 5, 2009 to current owners and donors; Current owners, Barrie and Deedee Wigmore
Timeline of Art History (2000-Present)
Timelines
•The United States and Canada, 1800–1900 A.D.