View allAll Photos Tagged relocation,
Johnson City, NY. May 2024.
If you would like to use THIS picture in any sort of media (such as newspaper or article) please send me a Flickr mail or an e-mail at natehenderson6@gmail.com.
Image source: Queensland State Archives Item ID ITM1102501 Expo 88 opening day crowds outside the Australia Pavilion, Brisbane.
World Expositions (or Exhibitions) become increasingly popular after the 1851 Great Exhibition in London, but their frequency, and the standard of their facilities, was not regulated until after the 1928 Paris Convention on International Expositions. The Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) was established in 1931 to administer the Convention. Under BIE rules there are two types of international exposition: the Universal/Category A/General Exposition, and the International/Category B/Special Exposition. The former involves broad themes, and participants design their own pavilions from the ground up, based on the theme.
The International Exposition, which has a narrower theme, is much cheaper to host, and is usually limited to one branch of human endeavour. Participants rent prefabricated pavilions from the host country's committee. Brisbane's Expo 88 was an International Exposition, with the theme "Leisure in the Age of Technology". Most of the structures built on exposition sites are intended to be temporary, but some sites have become parks, incorporating surviving exposition elements, including the sites of Montreal 1967, Seville 1992, Taejon 1993, and Lisbon 1998. Some structures have gone on to become landmarks in their own right, such as the Royal Exhibition Building (Melbourne 1880), the Eiffel Tower (Paris 1889), and the Space Needle (Seattle 1962).
The first bid to bring an exposition to Brisbane in 1988 began with James Maccormick , the architect who had designed the Australian pavilions at Montreal 1967, Osaka 1970, and Spokane 1974. The Brisbane Chamber of Commerce was converted to the idea, and lobbied the Queensland State Government during 1977. However, the Queensland Government was worried about the cost of a Universal Exposition, and was preoccupied with its bid for the 1982 Commonwealth Games. A second Queensland bid was made in 1981. The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA), under John Reid, wanted an Universal Exposition in Australia as part of Bicentennial in 1988, and the Federal Government was prepared to fund half of the cost of an exposition in Melbourne or Sydney. However, when these states turned the offer down in January 1981, Reid approached the Queensland Government with a proposal for a cheaper International Exposition. In late 1981 the State Cabinet funded a study that identified South Brisbane as the preferred site. The State Cabinet approved the study on 5 November 1981, on the condition that the Federal Government share the capital costs, but Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser rejected this notion in December 1981.
Queensland made two more attempts in 1982 for an International Exposition. Frank Moore, Chairman of the Queensland Tourist and Travel Corporation (QTTC), believed that private enterprise could fund the exposition, and that it would benefit Queensland's tourism. Queensland's Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen asked Prime Minister Fraser to get the BIE to keep a slot open for Brisbane in 1988. Fraser was willing to support this proposal, so long as there was no Federal financial commitment. However, Queensland private enterprise was not forthcoming, and Bjelke-Petersen withdrew the proposal in April 1982. November of 1982 witnessed a renewed bid by the State Government. The State would lend money to a statutory authority, which would be tasked with buying and developing the land, and managing the exposition. Brisbane's application was sent to the December 1982 meeting of the BIE in Paris, and was approved in June 1983.
The Brisbane Exposition and South Bank Redevelopment Authority (BESBRA) was established in February 1984 by an Act of the Queensland Parliament. BESBRA was soon referred to in the media as the Expo 88 Authority, or the Expo Authority. Sir Llewellyn Edwards, the Deputy Premier, was appointed as Chairman. In April 1984 the Expo 88 Authority's general manager, Bob Minnikin, claimed that Expo 88 would require $180 million to produce, including resumptions and development, and $90 million to run. It was hoped that gate takings and sponsorship would cover the running costs, and that the development cost would be recouped through selling off the site after Expo 88. Only 13 hectares of the Expo 88 site was private land, with the remainder of the 40 hectares belonging to either the State Government or the Brisbane City Council. Nonetheless, the last resumption did not occur until October 1984, as the owner of the heritage-listed residence 'Collins Place' fought a running legal battle with the Expo 88 Authority.
Grey and Stanley Streets were closed to traffic in July 1985, and demolition work began. Construction of the pavilions started in January 1986. The concept of the Expo 88 architects, Bligh Maccormick 88, included eight large shade-canopies, to protect the public from the Queensland sun. Landscaping began in March 1987, and the Monorail, which would circle the site on a 2.3 kilometre long track, was commissioned in June of that year. By January 1988, $90 million of the $136.8 million construction budget had been spent, and 7.8 million visitors were expected.
During 1987 developers had been asked to present their proposals for Southbank's redevelopment after Expo 88. In February 1988 the State Government announced that the redevelopment plan of the River City 2000 Consortium had been accepted. The Consortium, headed by Sir Frank Moore of the QTTC, had visions of a World Trade Centre on an island, and a casino. However, by early 1988 there was a growing call in the media for more of the site to be turned into public parkland. During March and April 1988 the National Trust protested the River City 2000 Consortium's scheme to move Collins Place, the Plough Inn, and the Allgas Building, three heritage listed buildings, to a historic village. Premier Mike Ahern eventually gave reassurances that this would not happen.
Expo 88 ran for seven days a week, between the hours of 10am-10pm, for six months. Between its opening on 30 April, attended by Queen Elizabeth II, and 30 October 1988, the Expo attracted 15,760,447 visitors, the majority of these being Australians. Most of the international visitors were Japanese, but 100,000 came from the United Kingdom and Europe, with 150,000 visitors from the United States. A total of 36 nations, two international organisations, 14 state and regional governments, and 34 corporations had exhibits.
The pavilions were mostly plain, modular, and temporary. However, the Nepalese Peace Pagoda is a distinctive building, and was easily noticed as the public came through the Vulture Street entrance to Expo 88. The Association to Preserve Asian Culture (APAC) commissioned the Peace Pagoda, which was built by 160 craftsmen of the Kathmandu Valley over two years, before being assembled in Brisbane. It is one of only three such temples outside Nepal, the others being at Munich and Osaka. Nepal has a long history of intricate woodcarving on buildings, and the Peace Pagoda was an attempt to showcase this skill to the world. The two small timber pavilions in front of the Peace Pagoda sold yoghurt lati, samosas, orange juice and lemon tea. Artisans demonstrated their crafts inside the ground floor of the Pagoda, and people could drink their tea and watch the Expo crowds from the teahouse on the first floor. The nearby Nepalese pavilion showcased traditional costumes, climbing dress, photographs, and artefacts.
Expo 88 was a turning point for Queensland's culture and economy, especially in Brisbane. On 30 May 1983 Joh Bjelke-Petersen had noted that if Brisbane's bid were successful, it would focus the world's spotlight on Queensland. Sir Frank Moore believed that the key to developing a major tourist industry in Queensland was a series of hallmark events, including the 1982 Commonwealth Games, which would focus attention on Queensland far better than any advertising campaign. Expo 88 was also intended to start Brisbane on a modernisation process, and towards becoming a 'global' city. The urban renewal of South Brisbane was just one aspect. In April 1984 Sir Llew stated that Queensland would never be the same again after Expo 88, and Brisbane would develop an image as a centre of trade, culture and entertainment. In April 1988 the Courier Mail claimed that Expo 88 was "bridging the yawning gap from a hayseed State to an urbane, international future". Sir Llew also claimed in April 1988 that the aim was for Expo 88 to be a catalyst for a change in lifestyle. Queenslanders had experienced extended opening hours and outdoor café dining, and had liked it.
While the crowds enjoyed Expo 88, controversy continued regarding future plans for the site. There were calls for more public input on redevelopment plans. About 4.5 hectares of land between Stanley Street and the river belonged to the Brisbane City Council (BCC), as Clem Jones Park, and had been lent to the Expo 88 Authority. In June 1988 it was decided to restore this land as parkland, and the River City 2000 Consortium lost its Preferred Developer status.
Government plans for a South Bank Development Corporation were announced, and in July 1988 an interim committee, headed by Sir Llew, was formed to oversee redevelopment. Sir Llew noted in October 1988 that more public funding was necessary to increase the parkland component of the new Southbank, as the land had been earmarked for development to repay for the cost of Expo 88. The draft redevelopment plans released in November 1988 included 12 hectares of parkland. Public submissions on the plan suggested that people wanted to be able to return to the Expo 88 site, to a public facility that had a similar combination of food, art and nature.
At the end of Expo 88, the APAC had planned to sell the Nepalese Peace Pagoda, and it appeared likely that it would be moved to Japan. However, 90,000 people had signed a petition during Expo 88 to keep the Peace Pagoda in Brisbane, and in late 1988 the BCC offered to provide land for the Peace Pagoda, if the Federal Government would pay for its cost and maintenance. A "Save the Pagoda Campaign" was active by February 1989. Public donations eventually totalled $52,000, with $30,000 coming from one couple, who wanted to "give Brisbane something to remember from Expo 88". The BCC provided $50,000, and the Federal Government supplied $100,000. "The Friends of the Pagoda Committee" also raised funds to buy several items that had complemented the Peace Pagoda, including a brass statue of the deity of compassion, a bronze bell and carved stone frame, and a stone lingam.
The Southbank Development Corporation was set up February 1989, with Vic Pullar as the Chairman. Approximately $200 million had been spent on developing the Expo site, and this money had to be recouped. The South Bank Corporation Act was passed in May 1989, and the former Clem Jones Park area was transferred to the Southbank Corporation, which was tasked with managing a new parkland precinct. In June 1989 submissions were sought from five architectural firms, and in August the "Media Five" concept of a mixed residential, commercial, and parkland development was chosen. Under Media Five's plans, the Peace Pagoda would be moved to the northern part of the parklands. The Media Five Chairman, Desmond Brooks, also suggested that Collins Place, the Plough Inn and the Allgas Building be removed to a historic village, but Vic Pullar rejected this idea. However, when the Southbank Corporation's Draft Development Plan was released in November 1989, it proposed to only keep the facades of the historic buildings. After protests by the National Trust, the State Government overruled the Southbank Corporation.
The proposed redevelopment included a waterway through the park, and a large lagoon, which was later downsized. In March 1990 the Final Plan was presented, after public submissions, and site redevelopment started in July 1990. The official Southbank Parklands opening occurred on 20 June 1992. The Waterway was later filled in and replaced with the Energex Arbour, which was officially opened in March 2000.
The transfer of the Peace Pagoda to its current site started on 24 September 1991. The deity of compassion was moved from the first floor to a glass case on the ground floor, the sides of the ground floor were encased in glass, and a display case was added inside. Access to the first floor was sealed off. The two smaller pavilions were also transferred, but their service windows were locked up. Two lion statues and two elephant statues were also relocated. The building was originally designed to be demountable, but it is currently set in a ceramic tiled floor. The Peace Pagoda was one of the best-loved exhibits at Expo 88, as visitors were able to relax in it away from the bustle of the crowds. Today it is still popular, both with tourists, and those who go there to meditate and reflect.
Despite late entrants into the Exposition due to domestic political measures, World Expo 88 attracted some 100 pavilions, from 52 governments, of which 36 were from international-level, and numerous corporate participants. Major western and European nations were represented such as the United States, the Soviet Union (last representation at a World Exposition), France, West Germany (also last representation at a World Exposition), the United Kingdom, Canada, Spain and Greece, as well as major Asian countries such as Singapore, Thailand, Nepal, Pakistan, China, Japan, Sri Lanka, South Korea, Indonesia, and the Philippines, and amongst others. Close neighbouring countries, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea were also represented.
State-level and multi-lateral organisations included the six Australian states, the United Nations, the European Union, Vatican City, three American states (Hawaii, California and Alaska), one Japanese prefecture (sister state of Queensland, Saitama Prefecture), and one Japanese city (Brisbane's sister city Kobe City).
Corporate pavilions included IBM, Ford, Fujitsu, Queensland Newspapers, Australia Post, Cadbury Chocolate, Suncorp, and the Queensland Teachers Credit Union. NASA and Universal Studios hosted outdoor exhibits, with models of the space shuttle and Apollo program, as well as the car KITT from the TV series Knight Rider. Also having its own pavilion was the official Australian TV partner of the Expo, Network Ten, via its Queensland station TVQ, whose news studios were located there for public tours and during the Expo also switched channel frequencies in September (from channel 0 to channel 10) in line with the other state channels.
The most expensive pavilion was Japan (A$26 million), followed by the Queensland Pavilion (A$20 million) and the Australia Pavilion (A$18 million). The largest Pavilions were also Queensland,[6] followed by Australia then Japan.
High Definition TV received its Australian premiere at the Japan Pavilion, and the text-based Internet at the Swiss Pavilion. At the University pavilion the world's longest lab experiment was on display. The pitch drop experiment, which features tar pitch slowly dripping through a funnel at a rate of nine drops in 81 years, actually made an unseen drop while on display.
Belfast City Hall Has Lots Of Statues And Memorials
Statues and monuments on public view:
Korean Memorial
This granite memorial is for the 208 officers and men of the Royal Ulster Rifles killed or wounded at the Battle of Chaegunghyon on 3 January 1951 during the Korean War. It was relocated from St Patrick's Barracks in Ballymena to the Cenotaph at Belfast City Hall in May 2008. It was originally erected near the South Korean capital, Seoul, but was brought to Northern Ireland in 1962.
Titanic Memorial
Moved to its current location on 24 March 1960, this memorial was originally unveiled on 26 June 1920 in Donegall Square North. It is the last work of acclaimed sculptor Thomas Brock who died two months after its unveiling.
The Belfast-built RMS Titanic, part of the White Star Line, sank on 15 April 1912. In the memorial, the female figure of Thane looks down upon two sea nymphs as they rise from the waves with the body of a drowned seaman in their arms. The names of the dead include the ship's designer Thomas Andrews and doctor John Simpson.
Queen Victoria
Queen Victoria succeeded King William IV on 20 June 1837 and her coronation took place a year later. The memorial was erected to celebrate the monarch's jubilee and was paid for by public shilling subscription. It was built by Thomas Brock and unveiled by King Edward VII on 27 July 1903. The Sicilian marble statue is 11 feet high. On each side are two life-size bronze figures which represent spinning and shipbuilding respectively. At the back is a bronze figure of a child, thought to represent education.
Sir Edward Harland
A memorial to Sir Edward J Harland Bart MP, the former head of Harland and Wolff shipbuilding yard and Mayor of Belfast from 1885 to 1886, was unveiled on 23 June 1903 by the Earl of Glasgow. It was also sculpted by Thomas Brock.
Belfast War Memorial (Cenotaph)
The Belfast War Memorial is in the form of a cenotaph with the background of a colonnade. The memorial was unveiled by Field Marshall Viscount Allenby on Armistice Day, 11 November 1929. It was designed by Sir Alfred Brumwell Thomas and constructed by WJ Campbell between 1925 and 1927. The colonnade consists of a Greek order of columns on a stylobate with an enriched cornice and balustrade.
Statue of Sir James Horner Haslett. James Horner Haslett (January 1832 - 18 August 1905) was an Irish Conservative politician who sat in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom from 1885 to 1886. Haslett was the son of the Rev. Henry Haslett of Castlereagh, co. Down and his wife Mary Wilson daughter of John Wilson, linen merchant of Drumcroon, Coleraine. He was educated at Academical Institute Belfast and became a chemist and druggist. He was an alderman, and a J.P. of Belfast. At the 1885 general election Haslett was elected Member of Parliament for Belfast West. He held the seat until 1886. He was mayor of Belfast in 1887 and knighted in the same year. He was mayor again in 1888. Haslett died at the age of 73.
Monument to William James Pirrie, Lord Mayor of Belfast, Shipbuilder.
William James Pirrie, Viscount Pirrie, also called (1909–21) Baron Pirrie Of Belfast (born May 31, 1847, Quebec, Canada East [now Quebec province, Canada]—died June 7, 1924, at sea), Irish shipbuilder who controlled the largest ship-construction firm in the world and built the liner Titanic. In 1862 Pirrie became apprentice to the Belfast shipbuilding firm of Harland and Wolff. By the time he was 27 he had been made a partner and was soon left in almost exclusive control. He traveled widely to gain experience in ship design and to study practical shipping requirements. He contributed much to the burgeoning steel shipbuilding industry, and for many years the largest passenger liners in the world came from his yards, notably the Olympic, the Britannic, and the Titanic. Pirrie was also prominent in the development of the diesel engine for marine propulsion. Created a baron in 1906, Pirrie became a viscount in 1921. As comptroller general of merchant shipbuilding in 1918, he helped replace British shipping lost to submarine warfare. He was also mainly responsible for introducing the idea of standardizing ships, a principle that was adopted in Britain and the United States during World War II. Pirrie’s marriage was childless, and the peerage became extinct at his death.
Monument to Royal Irish Rifles.
Monument to Frederick Temple. 1826-1902; 1st Marquis of Dufferin and Ava; diplomat and author; born Florence, son of Helen Blackwood and descendent of R. B. Sheridan; wrote Narrative of a Journey from Oxford to Skibbereen in the Year of the Irish Famine (1847) while at Oxford student, his sole work which is not in the spirit of the comic essay and the aristocratic travels journal; also writings advocating emigration that drew nationalist fire; Letters from High Latitudes (1859), a journal of yachting voyage to Iceland; celebrated wit; became governor General of Canada, Viceroy of India, and British Ambassador to many countries; subscribing patron to the Abbey theatre at its foundation; wrote introduction the W. Fraser Rae’s Sheridan: A Biography (1870); Dufferin’s last days were clouded by financial difficulties; his eldest son was killed in South Africa (Boer War); his youngest died in an airplane accident; d. Clandeboye, Co. Antrim; monument at Belfast City Hall; his son and successor, Lord Basil Blackwood, was grievously wounded in the First World War and killed on returning to the Front; Lady Dufferin lived to an old age, and was the recipient of the ‘blessing’ of the women of India, put into verse by Rudyard Kipling ("Lady, lo, they know and love ..."); a grandson was killed near Ava in Burma (from whence the title) during the Second World War; the life of a great-grandson was blighted by heroine; The memorial on the west side of the City Hall in Belfast is a standing figure and elaborate plinth in memory of Frederick Temple, Ist Marquess Dufferin and Ava, KP, 1826-1902, Gov. Gen. of India, Viceroy; HM Lieutenant of Co. Down, raised to ‘a great Irishman’; there is a life of Lord Dufferin by Harold Nicholson (Helen’s Tower, 1937).
800 W Central Ave, Delaware, OH
A fixture in Delaware, Ohio, since 1969, the store relocated from a few blocks to the east back in 1986. The store's last day was February 13, 2016.
The parcel pick-up & the store's entrance
Nature never ceases to amaze me - how did the couple communicate this move. First he had a mouthful of grasses that he took to the old home - I assume to keep the babies busy eating while he moved them one by one. When he returned - his wife was following (not carrying a baby) and he had the first baby. She stayed on the new nest in the marsh while he retrieved the rest of their family. It was a lot of fun to watch and we were lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
2 1/2 hours later he had moved 5 babies and must have been exhausted - he went back to the old home, but hadn't returned within 45 minutes so we left. He was aware of me, even though I was at a respectable distance and he would swim by quickly - changed my camera body to the 7D for a faster shutter speed with the available evening light. Some babies were moved upside down, others with their bum toward me so it was nice that this one's head was facing my way. The marsh is surrounded by trees as you can see reflected in the water. He was moving them from one pond to another and had to dive under a culvert with the baby in his mouth - this is just as they are breaking the surface of the water.
Dropping in to say hello - I was hoping to be back on flickr more regularly but it hasn't worked out - hopefully I'll be back soon. Miss you all and want you to know that I check your images every chance I get. Will catch up on your latest tonight.
© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Copyright © 2012 Barb D'Arpino/naturethroughmyeyes.com
This image is protected under the Canadian and International Copyright laws. These images are presented here for viewing purposes only. They are NOT stock images or royalty free. They may not be used for commercial or private use. They are copyrighted by me. Any such use whatsoever of these images is strictly prohibited. They may not be copied, downloaded, manipulated, blogged, deep-linked, tweeted, pinned, Stumbled, tumbled or reproduced by any other means or sold without my prior written consent. Linking back to me does not substitute for written permission.
Built between 1906 and 1907, the Leongatha Post and Telegraph Office is located in the very bustling heart of the South Gippsland town of Leongatha at 4 McCartin Street. It is axially sited at the end of Blair Street in the town's commercial centre. It is sited on the most prominent intersection in town, with strong visual relationships to the courthouse to the north and Remembrance Building and old Shire Offices to the south, as well as the Mechanics’ Institute and McCartin Hotel, also very close by.
Designed by J. B. Cohen of the Victorian Public Works Department in 1906, the successful winner of the construction tender was local builder Neil Falconer, who quoted its erection of the post office for just over £1058.00. The building was completed and opened to the public in February 1907. The building originally included a residential quarters for the postmaster, but this was converted to house the local telephone exchange in the 1930s. The mailroom was extended in 1914, resulting in a projecting bay from the north elevation. The building remains in use today as a post office (owned and operated by Australia Post), although the telephone exchange has been relocated to a new building constructed to the rear of the site.
The Leongatha Post and Telegraph Office is a timber building constructed in Federation Queen Anne style architecture. It features a hipped, corrugated iron roof, oriented north and south, with half-hips to the sides. The front elevation features two projecting gables, both stepped and bracketed with roughcast infill, above the main office and the main entry. The original Art Nouveau lettering "Post & Telegraph Office" remains below the roughcast panel. The entry beneath the porch features red brick piers and square timber posts with neck moulds, standing on a low balustrade (originally tuck-pointed). It also has tessellated floor tiles and bluestone steps. The west side roof extends to form a side porch, featuring paired, turned timber posts. The front windows still retain their Art Nouveau stained glass upper panels, featuring stylised tulips in brilliant vermillion.
The Leongatha Post and Telegraph Office is one of a small group of post offices, along with those in Terang (1903), Sorrento (1904), Korumburra (1904) and Woodend (1905), to be constructed for the Commonwealth by the Victorian government in the early years after Federation. These buildings were all designed and constructed by the Victorian Public Works Department under the supervisor of its chief architect, J. H. Marsden, even though postal and telegraphic services were among the powers transferred to the Commonwealth from the states in 1901. After the early months of 1907, no further post offices were built in Victoria until 1909, when a concerted building campaign was commenced by the Commonwealth, which erected postal buildings at Canterbury, Hawthorn, Brunswick, and Beulah. Others followed in 1910, at Casterton, Birchip, Box Hill, Clifton Hill, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Rupanyup, Violet Town and Willaura. More than a dozen or so more had been completed prior to the outbreak of World War I.
Today the Leongatha Post and Telegraph Office is one of the oldest still functioning post offices built for the Commonwealth after Federation in 1901.
Leongatha is a town in the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, South Gippsland Shire, Victoria, Australia, located 135 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. The town is the civic, commercial, industrial, religious, educational and sporting centre of the region. The Murray Goulburn Co-operative Co. Limited, is a farmers' co-operative which trades in Australia under the Devondale label, and has a dairy processing plant just north of the town producing milk-based products for Australian and overseas markets. First settlement of the area by Europeans occurred in 1845. The Post Office opened as Koorooman on 1 October 1887 and renamed Leongatha in 1891 when a township was established on the arrival of the railway. The Daffodil Festival is held annually in September. Competitions are held and many daffodil varieties are on display. A garden competition is also held and there are many beautiful examples throughout the provincial town. The South Gippsland Railway runs historical diesel locomotives and railcars between the market and dairy towns of Nyora and Leongatha, passing through Korumburra.
Looking out from the roof of the Library of Birmingham, the Library was designed by Buro Happold and built at a cost of £188 million. In Centenary Square, Birmingham, West Midlands.
Birmingham City Council looked into relocating the library for many years. The original plan was to build a new library in the emerging Eastside district, which had been opened up to the city centre following the demolition of Masshouse Circus. A library was designed by Richard Rogers on a site in the area. However, for financial reasons and reservations about the location this plan was shelved. The Council suggested that the Library be split between a new building built between the Rep Theatre and Baskerville House at Centenary Square, which until 2009 was a public car park (to house the main lending library) and a building at Millennium Point in "Eastside" (to house the archives and special collections).
In August 2006, the Council confirmed the area between the Rep Theatre and Baskerville House as the future site for the library. Capita Symonds had been appointed as Project Managers for the Library of Birmingham. The council's intention was to create a "world class" landmark civic building in Centenary Square. Not long after this, the two-sites idea was scrapped and the archives and special collections will move to the site at Centenary Square.
Preparation of the ground for building, and archaeological work between Baskerville House and The Rep had begun before planning permission had been granted. Planning permission was finally granted and approved by Birmingham City Council in December 2009. Building work, which was undertaken by Carillion, commenced in January 2010, with a completion schedule for 3 September 2013. A topping out ceremony to mark the completion of the highest part of the building took place on 14 September 2011.
At the 2014 RIBA West Midlands Awards, the Library of Birmingham was named overall West Midlands building of the year Mecanoo architect Patrick Arends won emerging architect of the year and Birmingham City Council won client of the year. In the June 2014 birthday honours, the library's director, Brian Gambles, was made MBE "for services to libraries". On 17 July 2014 the Library of Birmingham was nominated as one of the six short-listed buildings for the 2014 Stirling Prize, awarded for excellence in architecture.
The library has a number of nationally and internationally significant collections, including the Boulton and Watt archives, the Bournville Village Trust Archive, the Charles Parker Archive, the Parker collection of children's books, the Sir Benjamin Stone photographic collection, the Wingate Bett transport ticket collection, the Warwickshire photographic survey, the British Institute of Organ Studies archive and the Railway and Canal Historical Society Library.
The specialist Shakespeare Memorial Room was designed in 1882 by John Henry Chamberlain for the first Central Library. When the old building was demolished in 1974 Chamberlain's room was dismantled and later fitted into the new concrete shell of the new library complex. When the Library of Birmingham was built, it was again moved, to the top floor. It houses Britain’s most important Shakespeare collection, and one of the two most important Shakespeare collections in the world; the other being held by the Folger Shakespeare Library. The collection contains 43,000 books including rare items such as a copy of the First Folio 1623; copies of the four earliest Folio editions; over 70 editions of separate plays printed before 1709 including three "Pavier" quartos published in 1619 but falsely dated. There are significant collections from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, a near complete collection of Collected Works, significant numbers of adaptations, anthologies and individual editions.
The Boulton and Watt Collection is the archive of the steam engine partnership of Matthew Boulton and James Watt, dating from its formation in 1774 until the firm's closure in the 1890s. The archive comprises about 550 volumes of letters, books, order books and account books, approximately 29,000 engine drawings and upwards of 20,000 letters received from customers. Boulton and Watt manufactured the screw engines for Brunel's SS Great Eastern and the archive includes a portfolio of 13 albumen prints by Robert Howlett documenting the construction of the Great Eastern, including a rare variant of the Brunel portrait of 1857.
(further information is available by clicking on the link at the end of page!)
On the history of theological studies in St. Pölten
The Diocese of St. Pölten was as Josephinian foundation by Papal Bull of 28 January 1785 erected. Until then, its territory - the quarters above the Vienna Woods (Wiener Wald) and above the Mannhartsberg of Lower Austria - belonged to the diocese of Passau (Bavaria today).
Before the elevation to diocese there were already in the monasteries theological house studies; the secular clergy received its education at the University of Vienna and since the 16th Century at the Vienna Jesuit College of St. Barbara. From the mid-18th Century the Jesuits more and more clergy education was deprived. So arose in 1758 in Vienna and in 1762 in Enns seminaries. For Lower Austria bought Auxiliary Bishop Anton Franz Marxer 1754 the demesne of Gutenbrunn (20 km to the North-East of St. Pölten) and had there built an Alumnat (residentIal school) with theological studies (1767/68). Although it initially (1783) fell victim to Josephine General seminaries, but was relocated in 1785 to St. Pölten.
In this monastery, the house Wiener Straße 38, there was heretofore a theological study house, which was also attended by the neighboring Chorherrn (Canons).
The OFM (Ordo Fratrum Minorum) monastery dates back to the work of St. John Capistrano and was founded soon after 1455. From this period stems still the Alumnatskapelle (chapel), former presbytery of the monastery church. On 26 November 1785 was opened there for the graduates of the General Seminary a kind of pastoral course. After the abolition of the General seminaries erected bishop Kerens for the diocese a philosophical-theological educational institution, on 14th October 1791 commencing its operations. First, it was purely a training institution, but gained from the mid-19th Century increasingly academic interest. Since 1st September 1971 it is called "Philosophical-Theological College of the Diocese of St. Pölten". Since the academic year 1971/72 in addition to the specific theological discipline of study also a study for religious pedagogy is administered. The studies correspond to the Church standards and the state legislature.
History of the City St. Pölten
In order to present concise history of the Lower Austrian capital is in the shop of the city museum a richly illustrated full version on CD-ROM.
Tip
On the occasion of the commemoration of the pogroms of November 1938, the Institute for Jewish History of Austria its virtual Memorbuch (Memory book) for the destroyed St. Pölten Jewish community since 10th November 2012 is putting online.
Prehistory
The time from which there is no written record is named after the main materials used for tools and weapons: Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age. Using the latest technologies, archaeologists from archaeological finds and aerial photographs can trace a fairly detailed picture of life at that time. Especially for the time from the settling down of the People (New Stone Age), now practicing agriculture and animal husbandry, in the territory of St. Pölten lively settlement activity can be proved. In particular, cemeteries are important for the research, because the dead were laid in the grave everyday objects and jewelry, the forms of burial changing over time - which in turn gives the archeology valuable clues for the temporal determination. At the same time, prehistory of Sankt Pölten would not be half as good documented without the construction of the expressway S33 and other large buildings, where millions of cubic meters of earth were moved - under the watchful eyes of the Federal Monuments Office!
A final primeval chapter characterized the Celts, who settled about 450 BC our area and in addition to a new culture and religion also brought with them the potter's wheel. The kingdom of Noricum influenced till the penetration of the Romans the development in our area.
Roman period, migrations
The Romans conquered in 15 BC the Celtic Empire and established hereinafter the Roman province of Noricum. Borders were protected by military camp (forts), in the hinterland emerged civilian cities, almost all systematically laid out according to the same plan. The civil and commercial city Aelium Cetium, as St. Pölten was called (city law 121/122), consisted in the 4th Century already of heated stone houses, trade and craft originated thriving urban life, before the Romans in the first third of the 5th Century retreated to Italy.
The subsequent period went down as the Migration Period in official historiography, for which the settlement of the Sankt Pöltner downtown can not be proved. Cemeteries witness the residence of the Lombards in our area, later it was the Avars, extending their empire to the Enns.
The recent archaeological excavations on the Cathedral Square 2010/2011, in fact, the previous knowledge of St.Pölten colonization not have turned upside down but enriched by many details, whose full analysis and publication are expected in the near future.
Middle Ages
With the submission of the Avars by Charlemagne around 800 AD Christianity was gaining a foothold, the Bavarian Benedictine monastery of Tegernsee establishing a daughter house here - as founder are mentioned the brothers Adalbert and Ottokar - equipped with the relics of St. Hippolytus. The name St. Ypolit over the centuries should turn into Sankt Pölten. After the Hungarian wars and the resettlement of the monastery as Canons Regular of St. Augustine under the influence of Passau St. Pölten received mid-11th Century market rights.
In the second half of the 20th century historians stated that records in which the rights of citizens were held were to be qualified as Town Charters. Vienna is indeed already in 1137 as a city ("civitas") mentioned in a document, but the oldest Viennese city charter dates only from the year 1221, while the Bishop of Passau, Konrad, already in 1159 the St. Pöltnern secured:
A St. Pöltner citizen who has to answer to the court, has the right to make use of an "advocate".
He must not be forced to rid himself of the accusation by a judgment of God.
A St. Pöltner citizen may be convicted only by statements of fellow citizens, not by strangers.
From the 13th Century exercised a city judge appointed by the lord of the city the high and low jurisdiction as chairman of the council meetings and the Municipal Court, Inner and Outer Council supported him during the finding of justice. Venue for the public verdict was the in the 13th Century created new marketplace, the "Broad Market", now the town hall square. Originally square-shaped, it was only later to a rectangle reduced. Around it arose the market district, which together with the monastery district, the wood district and the Ledererviertel (quarter of the leather goods manufacturer) was protected by a double city wall.
The dependence of St. Pölten of the bishop of Passau is shown in the municipal coat of arms and the city seal. Based on the emblem of the heraldic animal of the Lord of the city, so the Bishop of Passau, it shows an upright standing wolf holding a crosier in its paw.
Modern Times
In the course of the armed conflict between the Emperor Frederick III . and King Matthias of Hungary pledged the Bishop of Passau the town on the Hungarian king. From 1485 stood Lower Austria as a whole under Hungarian rule. The most important document of this period is the awarding of the city coat of arms by King Matthias Corvinus in the year 1487. After the death of the opponents 1490 and 1493 could Frederick's son Maximilian reconquer Lower Austria. He considered St. Pölten as spoils of war and had no intention of returning it to the diocese of Passau. The city government has often been leased subsequently, for instance, to the family Wellenstein, and later to the families Trautson and Auersperg.
That St. Pölten now was a princely city, found its expression in the coat of arms letter of the King Ferdinand I. from 1538: From now on, the wolf had no crosier anymore, and the from the viewer's point of view left half showed the reverse Austrian shield, so silver-red-silver.
To the 16th Century also goes back the construction of St. Pöltner City Hall. The 1503 by judge and council acquired house was subsequently expanded, rebuilt, extended and provided with a tower.
A for the urban history research important picture, painted in 1623, has captured scenes of the peasant uprising of 1597, but also allows a view to the city and lets the viewer read some of the details of the then state of construction. The economic inconveniences of that time were only exacerbated by the Thirty Years War, at the end of which a fifth of the houses were uninhabited and the citizenry was impoverished.
Baroque
After the successful defense against the Turks in 1683, the economy started to recover and a significant building boom began. Lower Austria turned into the land of the baroque abbeys and monasteries, as it is familiar to us today.
In St. Pölten, the change of the cityscape is closely connected to the Baroque architect Jakob Prandtauer. In addition to the Baroquisation of the interior of the cathedral, a number of buildings in St. Pölten go to his account, so the reconstruction of the castle Ochsenburg, the erection of the Schwaighof and of the core building of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Englische Fräuleins - English Maidens) - from 1706 the seat of the first school order of St.Pölten - as well as of several bourgeois houses.
Joseph Munggenast, nephew and co-worker of Prandtauer, completed the Baroquisation of the cathedral, he baroquised the facade of the town hall (1727) and numerous bourgeois houses and designed a bridge over the Traisen which existed until 1907. In the decoration of the church buildings were throughout Tyroleans collaborating, which Jakob Prandtauer had brought along from his homeland (Tyrol) to St. Pölten, for example, Paul Troger and Peter Widerin.
Maria Theresa and her son Joseph II: Their reforms in the city of the 18th Century also left a significant mark. School foundings as a result of compulsory education, the dissolution of the monasteries and hereinafter - from 1785 - the new role of St. Pölten as a bishop's seat are consequences of their policies.
1785 was also the year of a fundamental alteration of the old Council Constitution: The city judge was replaced by one magistrate consisting of five persons, at the head was a mayor. For the first mayor the painter Josef Hackl was chosen.
The 19th century
Despite the Napoleonic Wars - St. Pölten in 1805 and 1809 was occupied by the French - and despite the state bankruptcy of 1811, increased the number of businesses constantly, although the economic importance of the city for the time being did not go beyond the near vicinity.
Against the background of monitoring by the state secret police, which prevented any political commitment between the Congress of Vienna and the 1848 revolution, the citizens withdrew into private life. Sense of family, fostering of domestic music, prominent salon societies in which even a Franz Schubert socialized, or the construction of the city theater were visible signs of this attitude.
The economic upswing of the city did not begin until after the revolution of the year 1848. A prerequisite for this was the construction of the Empress Elisabeth Western Railway, moving Vienna, Linz, soon Salzburg, too, in a reachable distance. The city walls were pulled down, St. Pölten could unfold. The convenient traffic situation favored factory start-ups, and so arose a lace factory, a revolver factory, a soap factory or, for example, as a precursor of a future large-scale enterprise, the braid, ribbon and Strickgarnerzeugung (knitting yarn production) of Matthias Salcher in Harland.
In other areas, too, the Gründerzeit (years of rapid industrial expansion in Germany - and Austria) in Sankt Pölten was honouring its name: The city got schools, a hospital, gas lanterns, canalization, hot springs and summer bath.
The 20th century
At the beginning of the 20th Century the city experienced another burst of development, initiated by the construction of the power station in 1903, because electricity was the prerequisite for the settlement of large companies. In particular, the companies Voith and Glanzstoff and the main workshop of the Federal Railways attracted many workers. New Traisen bridge, tram, Mariazell Railway and other infrastructure buildings were erected; St. Pölten obtained a synagogue. The Art Nouveau made it repeatedly into the urban architecture - just think of the Olbrich House - and inspired also the painting, as exponents worth to be mentioned are Ernst Stöhr or Ferdinand Andri.
What the outbreak of the First World War in broad outlines meant for the monarchy, on a smaller scale also St. Pölten has felt. The city was heavily impacted by the deployment of army units, a POW camp, a military hospital and a sick bay. Industrial enterprises were partly converted into war production, partly closed. Unemployment, housing emergency and food shortages long after the war still were felt painfully.
The 1919 to mayor elected Social Democrat Hubert Schnofl after the war tried to raise the standard of living of the people by improving the social welfare and health care. The founding of a housing cooperative (Wohnungsgenossenschaft), the construction of the water line and the establishment of new factories were further attempts to stimulate the stiffening economy whose descent could not be stopped until 1932.
After the National Socialist regime had stirred false hopes and plunged the world into war, St. Pölten was no longer the city as it has been before. Not only the ten devastating bombings of the last year of the war had left its marks, also the restrictive persecution of Jews and political dissidents had torn holes in the structure of the population. Ten years of Russian occupation subsequently did the rest to traumatize the population, but at this time arose from the ruins a more modern St. Pölten, with the new Traisen bridge, district heating, schools.
This trend continued, an era of recovery and modernization made the economic miracle palpable. Already in 1972 was - even if largely as a result of incorporations - exceeded the 50.000-inhabitant-limit.
Elevation to capital status (capital of Lower Austria), 10 July 1986: No other event in this dimension could have become the booster detonation of an up to now ongoing development thrust. Since then in a big way new residential and commercial areas were opened up, built infrastructure constructions, schools and universities brought into being to enrich the educational landscape. East of the Old Town arose the governmental and cultural district, and the list of architects wears sonorous names such as Ernst Hoffmann (NÖ (Lower Austria) Landhaus; Klangturm), Klaus Kada (Festspielhaus), Hans Hollein (Shedhalle and Lower Austrian Provincial Museum), Karin Bily, Paul Katzberger and Michael Loudon ( NÖ State Library and NÖ State Archive).
European Diploma, European flag, badge of honor, Europe Price: Between 1996 and 2001, received St. Pölten numerous appreciations of its EU commitment - as a sort of recognition of the Council of Europe for the dissemination of the EU-idea through international town twinnings, a major Europe exhibition or, for example, the establishment and chair of the "Network of European medium-sized cities".
On the way into the 21st century
Just now happened and already history: What the St. Pöltnern as just experienced sticks in their minds, travelers and newcomers within a short time should be told. The theater and the hospital handing over to the province of Lower Austria, a new mayor always on the go, who was able to earn since 2004 already numerous laurels (Tags: polytechnic, downtown enhancement, building lease scheme, bus concept) - all the recent changes are just now condensed into spoken and written language in order to make, from now on, the history of the young provincial capital in the 3rd millennium nachlesbar (checkable).
www.pth-stpoelten.at/index.php?id=7
www.st-poelten.gv.at/Content.Node/freizeit-kultur/kultur/...
c/n 561.
Built 1959.
Served with the Empire Test Pilot’s School as ‘XT610’ between 1965 and 1975. Was later registered as ‘G-BCWF’ but has now reverted to her original registration.
Currently grounded for wing strut renewal and minus her outer wings, she is seen outside at ‘Coventry - Airbase’,
Coventry Airport, UK
11-10-2015
The following history info is from the Classic Air Force website:-
“If there's one aircraft on our fleet that inspires stronger emotion than all the others it's the Twin Pioneer, or "Twin-Pin" as we call it. To understand why you'd need to see it in action. It's a big, imposing beast of an aircraft - unlike its stablemates, referring to it as "she" would be quite out of place - with a muscular, hunched presence on the runway. Built to take on the roughest, shortest strips in jungles, on ice floes, or quite possibly on Mars, it looks as if it could head-butt the Alps and not come off second-best.
In flight, those high shoulders shrug off the laws of physics as if they apply only to lesser aircraft. On take-off with just a puff of headwind, the tailwheel rises before the aeroplane begins moving. Then it rolls about the length of a billiard table before lifting off and rising like a suspicious bubble in a bathtub. When it comes to landing it seems, to borrow Douglas Adams's phrase, to hang in the air in the same way that a brick doesn't.
Now you're getting the idea: the Twin-Pin is special.
Our Twin Pioneer was built by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick in 1959 as a Series 1 airframe. It had been ordered by Philippine Airlines but they never took delivery of the aircraft and its first registered owner was its manufacturer, Scottish Aviation Ltd.
The aircraft entered the British civil register as G-APRS and received its initial Certificate of Airworthiness on September 16 of that year. The following day G-APRS was delivered to Fisons-Airwork Ltd, to whom it had been leased. The aircraft was then sub-let on contract to Shell/BP in support of their oil exploration work in Nigeria until the middle of May 1960.
From May to September 1960, the aircraft was leased to Deutsche Taxiflug in Manheim, Germany but it then went into store over the winter of 1960/61. Still unable to find a new owner the aircraft was leased out once again in March 1961, this time to British United Airways (BUA), for operation by Sierra Leone Airways. It stayed in Sierra Leone until September.
From November 1961 until the following G-APRS was leased to the Kuwait Oil Company and at the end of the contract it returned to Scottish Aviation who then converted it to Series 3 standard. Its civil registration was cancelled on March 19, 1965 when the aircraft was transferred to the Ministry of Technology and delivered to the Empire Test Pilot's School (ETPS) at RAE Farnborough. It was allocated the serial XT610 and coded '22' during its service with ETPS. It subsequently transferred to Boscombe Down when ETPS relocated.
After nearly ten years of military service the aircraft was released for sale and on January 30, 1975 it was registered to Flight One Ltd as G -BCWF. Flight One based the aircraft at Staverton, Gloucestershire and flew it around the UK on various survey contracts, including photographic mapping and heat loss surveys. Thermal imaging test equipment was installed in the aircraft which identified buildings which were suffering significant heat loss through poor insulation. The aircraft only flew when there was contract work available and it was placed in store from time to time at both Staverton and Shobdon.
In the early 1990's, Flight One experienced financial difficulties and the aircraft was repossessed and placed into storage. It was purchased by the Air Atlantique Group on November 2, 1993 and on December 9 it reverted to its original registration as G-APRS. (She is also affectionately known as ‘Primrose’ amongst Air Atlantique staff, named after the last three letters of her registration!)
Since acquiring the aeroplane Air Atlantique has used it for passenger pleasure flying, airshow flights and air displays. In addition, it has returned to Boscombe Down from time to time for use by the ETPS where it continues to give trainee test pilots a very different piloting experience. This ETPS work resulted in it gaining a red, white and blue ‘Raspberry Ripple’ scheme as worn by many of the ETPS fleet.
In recent years the aircraft has been grounded due to the available fatigue ‘life’ on the wing attachments struts. The amount of service these items can see before replacement is limited and as the early days of the aircraft are fairly poorly documented the authorities have implied a ‘worst case scenario’ to that life. Replacement struts were purchased in Australia but did not fit G-APRS. Luckily Air Atlantique has a huge library of blueprints and technical drawings – but they are not indexed or archived. An intensive search has been made by members of the Ground Support Team in an attempt to find the drawings to create replacement brackets. As these words were written the chances of seeing Primrose return to the skies look very promising.”
Hillsdale regional shopping center, located on El Camino Real between Hillsdale Blvd and 31st Ave in San Mateo, was built in stages beginning in the 1950s. In 1955, "Farmers Lane" was built, featuring "Farmers Market". Farmers Lane was a collection of vendors in an indoor concourse; an early rendition of a food court. Farmers Market, which opened onto the Farmers Lane, was a supermarket. By the 1960s, Petrini's took over, and lasted until the 1980s. The space then sat vacant for a long time. In 1996, Cost Plus World Market relocated from their old basement location "Down the spiral staircase" to the former supermarket building, as well as the adjacent former Walgreens (former Barry's Super Rexall) which had just closed. While the Walgreen's portion was renovated with a new ceiling, the supermarket portion wasn't altered that much. Cost Plus closed in early 2014, around the time they opened a store at Bridgepointe. In 2016, the building was demolished to make way for Hillsdale's North Wing redevelopment.
An exterior photo of the supermarket can be seen here:
hillsdale.com/vintage-photo-gallery-1950s/
Farmers Market and Farmers Lane were featured in the 1957 "Shopping Can Be Fun" video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskBw1c_lrg
Return-air registers.
Despite all of the recent 'SHUT THE HELL UP' modding I've done to it the quicksilver is still a bit too loud to keep in my bedroom so have swapped it around with the iMac G3 which is completely silent. got a perky little G3 in my room looking pretty and this ridiculous powerhouse sat in the living room. It's a great party piece with full screen cover flow turned on. Almost finished maxxing the system out too.
PowerPC 7448 Dual G4 Processors @ 1.81GHz
1.5GB PC133 MHz SD-RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
802.11g Wifi + Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
6 USB 2.0 Ports (2 USB 1.0 ports)
DL DVD/RW Superdrive
Harman Kardon Soundstick II - 2.1 Stereo Speakers
Mirai 22" Widescreen TFT Monitor 1680x1050
There are a few more upgrades to do including a better graphics card (hard to get decent mac AGP graphics cards though) and possibly faster wifi... adding more storage (probably external) ... maybe a SATA pci card...
Picture taken 11/19/21
Former Burlington, which closed in 2018 and relocated two stores down to the old hhgregg (Circuit City).
Please contact me via FlickrMail
or on Gmail
if you'd like to use any of my photographs.
Gmail: gabegamesog@gmail.com
Vikas packers and movers noida is a reliable and trusted company for packing, transportation, relocation services at best price. Our team is in professional expert in mover’s service and we provide our services to many clients like BHEL, GAIL, HCL and more. We are best award winner in moving and packing services.
The empty Cumberland Pencil factory in Keswick. Pencil making became a local industry in Keswick, following the 16th century discovery of an almost unique deposit of graphite in nearby Borrowdale.
Improvements in manufacturing meant that the old Cumberland Pencil factory building was no longer suitable, so production was relocated in 2008 to a new factory in Workington, outside the Lake District national park.
Use the right size boxes
Put heavy items, like books, in small boxes; light items, like linens and pillows, in bigger ones. (Large boxes packed with heavy items are a common complaint of professional movers. They not only make the job harder but also have a better chance of breaking.)
Put heavier items on the bottoms of boxes, lighter items on top
And if you’re loading the truck yourself, pack heavier boxes first, toward the front of the truck, for balance.
Don’t leave empty spaces in the boxes
Fill in gaps with proper shipping supplies. Movers often won’t move boxes that feel loosely packed or unbalanced.
Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box
It will make your packing quicker and your unpacking a lot easier, too.
Label each box with the room it’s destined for and a description of its contents
This will help you and your movers know where every box belongs in your new place. Numbering each box and keeping an inventory list in a small notebook is a good way to keep track of what you’ve packed―and to make sure you still have everything when you unpack.
Tape boxes well
Use a couple of pieces of tape to close the bottom and top seams, then use one of the movers’ techniques―making a couple of wraps all the way around the box’s top and bottom edges, where stress is concentrated.
If you’re moving expensive art, ask your mover about special crating
Never wrap oil paintings in regular paper; it will stick. For pictures framed behind glass, make an X with masking tape across the glass to strengthen it and to hold it together if it shatters. Then wrap the pictures in paper or bubble wrap and put them in a frame box, with a piece of cardboard between each framed piece for protection.
Bundle breakables
As you pack your dishes, put packing paper around each one, then wrap bundles of five or six together with more paper. Pack dishes on their sides, never flat. And use plenty of bunched-up paper as padding above and below. Cups and bowls can be placed inside one another, with paper in between, and wrapped three or four in a bundle. Pack them all in dish-barrel boxes.
Consider other items that will need special treatment
Vansant says his movers treat TVs like any other piece of furniture, wrapping them in quilted furniture pads. He points out, however, that plasma TVs require special wooden crates for shipping if you don’t have the original box and can be ruined if you lay them flat. If you’re packing yourself, double-box your TV, setting the box containing the TV into another box that you’ve padded with packing paper.
The Washington Monument is an obelisk shaped building within the National Mall in Washington, D.C., built to commemorate George Washington, once commander-in-chief of the Continental Army (1775–1784) in the American Revolutionary War and the first President of the United States (1789–1797). Located almost due east of the Reflecting Pool and the Lincoln Memorial, the monument, made of marble, granite, and bluestone gneiss, is both the world's tallest predominantly stone structure and the world's tallest obelisk,[A] standing 554 feet 7+11⁄32 inches (169.046 m) tall according to the U.S. National Geodetic Survey (measured 2013–14) or 555 feet 5+1⁄8 inches (169.294 m) tall, according to the National Park Service (measured 1884). It is the tallest monumental column in the world if all are measured above their pedestrian entrances. Overtaking the Cologne Cathedral, it was the tallest structure in the world between 1884 and 1889, after which it was overtaken by the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Construction of the presidential memorial began in 1848 and was halted for a period of 23 years, from 1854 to 1877 due to a lack of funds, a struggle for control over the Washington National Monument Society, and the American Civil War. Although the stone structure was completed in 1884, internal ironwork, the knoll, and installation of memorial stones were not completed until 1888. A difference in shading of the marble, visible approximately 150 feet (46 m) or 27% up, shows where construction was halted and later resumed with marble from a different source. The original design was by Robert Mills (1781–1855) of South Carolina, but he did not include his proposed colonnade due to a lack of funds, proceeding only with a bare obelisk. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1848; the first stone was laid atop the unfinished stump on August 7, 1880; the capstone was set on December 6, 1884; the completed monument was dedicated on February 21, 1885; and officially opened October 9, 1888.
The Washington Monument is a hollow Egyptian style stone obelisk with a 500-foot (152.4 m) tall column surmounted by a 55-foot (16.8 m) tall pyramidion. Its walls are 15 feet (4.6 m) thick at its base and 1+1⁄2 feet (0.46 m) thick at their top. The marble pyramidion has thin walls only 7 inches (18 cm) thick supported by six arches, two between opposite walls that cross at the center of the pyramidion and four smaller corner arches. The top of the pyramidion is a large marble capstone with a small aluminum pyramid at its apex with inscriptions on all four sides. The lowest 150 feet (45.7 m) of the walls, constructed during the first phase 1848–1854, are composed of a pile of bluestone gneiss rubble stones (not finished stones) held together by a large amount of mortar with a facade of semi-finished marble stones about 1+1⁄4 feet (0.4 m) thick. The upper 350 feet (106.7 m) of the walls, constructed during the second phase 1880–1884, are composed of finished marble surface stones, half of which project into the walls, partially backed by finished granite stones.
The interior is occupied by iron stairs that spiral up the walls, with an elevator in the center, each supported by four iron columns, which do not support the stone structure. The stairs contain fifty sections, most on the north and south walls, with many long landings stretching between them along the east and west walls. These landings allowed many inscribed memorial stones of various materials and sizes to be easily viewed while the stairs were accessible (until 1976), plus one memorial stone between stairs that is difficult to view. The pyramidion has eight observation windows, two per side, and eight red aircraft warning lights, two per side. Two aluminum lightning rods, connected via the elevator support columns to ground water, protect the monument. The monument's present foundation is 37 feet (11.3 m) thick, consisting of half of its original bluestone gneiss rubble encased in concrete. At the northeast corner of the foundation, 21 feet (6.4 m) below ground, is the marble cornerstone, including a zinc case filled with memorabilia. Fifty American flags fly on a large circle of poles centered on the monument. In 2001, a temporary screening facility was added to the entrance to prevent a terrorist attack. An earthquake in 2011 slightly damaged the monument, and it was closed until 2014. It was closed again for elevator system repairs, security upgrades, and mitigation of soil contamination from August 2016 to September 2019.
The National Mall is a landscaped park near the downtown area of Washington, D.C., the capital city of the United States. It contains and borders a number of museums of the Smithsonian Institution, art galleries, cultural institutions, and various memorials, sculptures, and statues. It is administered by the National Park Service (NPS) of the United States Department of the Interior as part of the National Mall and Memorial Parks unit of the National Park System. The park receives approximately 24 million visitors each year.
The core area of the National Mall extends between the United States Capitol grounds to the east and the Washington Monument to the west and is lined to the north and south by several museums and a federal office building. The term National Mall may also include areas that are also officially part of neighboring West Potomac Park to the south and west and Constitution Gardens to the north, extending to the Lincoln Memorial on the west and Jefferson Memorial to the south.
Washington, D.C., formally the District of Columbia and commonly called Washington or D.C., is the capital city and federal district of the United States. The city is on the Potomac River, across from Virginia, and shares land borders with Maryland to its north and east. Washington, D.C., was named for George Washington, a Founding Father and first president of the United States. The district is named for Columbia, the female personification of the nation.
Washington, D.C., anchors the southern end of the Northeast megalopolis, one of the nation's largest and most influential cultural, political, and economic regions. As the seat of the U.S. federal government and several international organizations, the city is an important world political capital. The city had 20.7 million domestic visitors and 1.2 million international visitors, ranking seventh among U.S. cities as of 2022.
The U.S. Constitution in 1789 called for the creation of a federal district under the exclusive jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress. As such, Washington, D.C., is not part of any state, and is not one itself. The Residence Act, adopted on July 16, 1790, approved the creation of the capital district along the Potomac River. The city was founded in 1791, and the 6th Congress held the first session in the unfinished Capitol Building in 1800 after the capital moved from Philadelphia. In 1801, the District of Columbia, formerly part of Maryland and Virginia and including the existing settlements of Georgetown and Alexandria, was officially recognized as the federal district; initially, the city was a separate settlement within the larger federal district. In 1846, Congress returned the land originally ceded by Virginia, including the city of Alexandria. In 1871, it created a single municipality for the remaining portion of the district, although its locally elected government only lasted three years and elective city-government did not return for over a century. There have been several unsuccessful efforts to make the district into a state since the 1880s; a statehood bill passed the House of Representatives in 2021 but was not adopted by the U.S. Senate. Designed in 1791 by Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the city is divided into quadrants, which are centered around the Capitol Building and include 131 neighborhoods. As of the 2020 census, the city had a population of 689,545, making it the 23rd-most populous city in the U.S., third-most populous city in the Southeast after Jacksonville and Charlotte, and third-most populous city in the Mid-Atlantic after New York City and Philadelphia. Commuters from the city's Maryland and Virginia suburbs raise the city's daytime population to more than one million during the workweek. The Washington metropolitan area, which includes parts of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia, is the country's seventh-largest metropolitan area, with a 2023 population of 6.3 million residents.
The city hosts the U.S. federal government and the buildings that house government headquarters, including the White House, the Capitol, the Supreme Court Building, and multiple federal departments and agencies. The city is home to many national monuments and museums, located most prominently on or around the National Mall, including the Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument. It hosts 177 foreign embassies and serves as the headquarters for the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the Organization of American States, and other international organizations. Many of the nation's largest industry associations, non-profit organizations, and think tanks are based in the city, including AARP, American Red Cross, Atlantic Council, Brookings Institution, National Geographic Society, The Heritage Foundation, Wilson Center, and others.
A locally elected mayor and 13-member council have governed the district since 1973, though Congress retains the power to overturn local laws. Washington, D.C., residents are, on the federal level, politically disenfranchised since the city's residents do not have voting representation in Congress; the city's residents elect a single at-large congressional delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives who has no voting authority. The city's voters choose three presidential electors in accordance with the Twenty-third Amendment.
The District of Columbia was created in 1801 as the federal district of the United States, with territory previously held by the states of Maryland and Virginia ceded to the federal government of the United States for the purpose of creating its federal district, which would encompass the new national capital of the United States, the City of Washington. The district came into existence, with its own judges and marshals, through the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801; previously it was the Territory of Columbia. According to specific language in the U.S. Constitution, it was 100 square miles (259 km2).
The district encompassed three small cities: Alexandria, formerly in Virginia, Georgetown, formerly Maryland, and the deliberately planned central core, the City of Washington. Both the White House and the United States Capitol were already completed and in use by 1800 as called for by the 1791 L'Enfant Plan for the City of Washington, although the city was not formally chartered until 1802. Beyond those cities, the remainder of the district was farmland organized by the 1801 Act into two counties, Washington County, D.C., on the Maryland side, and Alexandria County, D.C., on the Virginia side, encompassing today's Arlington County, Virginia, and the independent city of Alexandria.
The district was governed directly by the U.S. Congress from the beginning. Alexandria City and County were ceded back from the federal government to the commonwealth of Virginia in 1846, in a process known as retrocession, anticipating the 1850 ban on slave trading (but not slavery) in the district.
Washington and Georgetown retained their separate charters for seventy years, until the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871. That act cancelled the charters of the towns and brought the entire area within the district borders under one district government, ending any distinction between "the District of Columbia" and "Washington", making the two terms effectively synonymous.
Main article: History of Washington, D.C. § Establishment
Congress determined, in the Residence Act of 1790, that the nation's capital be on the Potomac, between the Anacostia River and today's Williamsport, Maryland, and in a federal district up to 10 miles square. The exact location was to be determined by President George Washington, familiar with the area from his nearby home and properties at Mt. Vernon, Virginia.
Its trans-state location reflected a compromise between the Southern and Northern states. Virginia lobbied for the selection, an idea opposed by New York and Pennsylvania, both of which had previously housed the nation's capital. Maryland, whose State House was older than that of Virginia, and like Virginia a slave state, was chosen as a compromise. At Washington's request the City of Alexandria was included in the district, though with the provision that no federal buildings could be built there. The new capital district was at about the center of the country.
About 2/3 of the original district was in Maryland and 1/3 in Virginia, and the wide Potomac in the middle. The future district was surveyed in 1791–92; 24 of its surviving stone markers are in Maryland, 12 in Virginia. (See Boundary Markers of the original District of Columbia.) Washington decided that the capital's location would be located between the mouth of the Anacostia River and Georgetown, which sits at the Potomac's head of navigation.
As specified by Article One of the United States Constitution, in fact as one of the enumerated powers of section 8, Congress assumed direct administrative control of the federal district upon its creation by the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801. There was no district governor or executive body. The U.S. House created a permanent Committee on the District of Columbia in January 1808, and the U.S. Senate established its counterpart in December 1816. These committees remained active until 1946. Thus the U.S. Congress managed the detailed day-to-day governmental needs of the district through acts of Congress—an act authorizing the purchase of fire engines and construction of a firehouse, for instance, or an act to commission three new city streets and closing two others in Georgetown.
The five component parts of the district operated their own governments at the lower level. The three cities within the district (Georgetown, the City of Washington, and Alexandria) operated their own municipal governments, each with a continuous history of mayors. Robert Brent, the first mayor of the City of Washington, was appointed directly by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 after the city's organization that year.
The remaining rural territory within the district belonged either to Alexandria County D.C., (district land west of the Potomac outside the City of Alexandria, formerly in Virginia) or to Washington County, D.C., (the unincorporated east side, formerly in Maryland, plus islands and riverbed). Both counties operated with boards of commissioners for county-level government functions. Both counties were governed by levy courts made of presidentially appointed Justices of the Peace. Prior to 1812, the levy courts had a number of members defined by the president, but after that Washington County had 7 members. In 1848, the Washington County levy court was expanded to 11 members, and in 1863 that was reduced by two to nine members.
The language of the establishing act of 1801 omitted any provision for district residents to vote for local, state-equivalent, or federal representatives.
This omission was not related to any constitutional restriction or, apparently, any rationale at all. Legal scholars in 2004 called the omission of voting rights a simple "historical accident", pointing out that the preceding Residence Act of July 16, 1790, exercising the same constitutional authority over the same territory around the Potomac, had protected the votes of the district's citizens in federal and state elections. Those citizens had indeed continued to cast ballots, from 1790 through 1800, for their U.S. House representatives and for their Maryland and Virginia state legislators. James Madison had written in the Federalist No. 43 that the citizens of the federal district should "of course" have their will represented, "derived from their own suffrages." The necessary language simply did not appear in the 1801 legislation.
The prospect of disenfranchisement caused immediate concern. One voice from a public meeting in January 1801, before the bill's passage, compared their situation to those who fought against British taxation without representation in the Revolutionary War—20 years prior. Despite these complaints the bill went into effect as written. Given exclusive and absolute political control, Congress did not act to restore any of these rights until the 1960s. The district still has no voting representation in Congress, and the decisions of its long-sought local government established in 1973 are still subject to close congressional review, annulment, and budget control.
Residents of Alexandria saw no economic advantage from being in the District. No federal buildings could be built on the south side of the Potomac, nor did they have representation in Congress. Some resistance was expressed immediately. One leading figure in the fight to retrocede through the 1820s was Thomson Francis Mason, who was elected mayor of Alexandria, D.C., four times between 1827 and 1830. Also Alexandria was a center of the profitable slave trade – the largest slave-trading company in the country, Franklin and Armfield, was located there – and Alexandria residents were afraid that if the District banned the slave trade, as seemed likely, this industry would leave the city.
To prevent this, Arlington held a referendum, through which voters petitioned Congress and the state of Virginia to return the portion of the District of Columbia south of the Potomac River (Alexandria County) to Virginia. On July 9, 1846, Congress retroceded Alexandria County to Virginia, after which the district's slave traders relocated to Alexandria. The district's slave trade was outlawed in the Compromise of 1850. The penalty for bringing a slave into the district for sale, was freedom for the slave. Southern senators and congressmen resisted banning slavery altogether in the District, to avoid setting a precedent. The practice remained legal in the district until after secession, with the District of Columbia Compensated Emancipation Act signed by Lincoln on April 16, 1862, which established the annual observance of Emancipation Day.
The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871 created a single new district corporation governing the entire federal territory, called the District of Columbia, thus dissolving the three major political subdivisions of the district (Port of Georgetown, the City of Washington, and Washington County) and their governments. By this time the county also contained other small settlements and nascent suburbs of Washington outside its bounded limits, such as Anacostia, which had been incorporated in 1854 as Uniontown; Fort Totten, dating at least to the Civil War; and Barry Farm, a large tract bought by the Freedmen's Bureau and granted to formerly enslaved and free-born African Americans in 1867.
The newly restructured district government provided for a governor appointed by the president for a 4-year term, with an 11-member council also appointed by the president, a locally elected 22-member assembly, and a five-man Board of Public Works charged with modernizing the city. The first vice-chair of that Board of Public Works was real-estate developer Alexander Robey Shepherd, the architect and proponent of the consolidating legislation. From September 1873 to June 1874, Shepherd would serve as the second, and final, governor of the District.
The Seal of the District of Columbia features the date 1871, recognizing the year the district's government was incorporated.
Fresh Drinking Water tanks are scattered across the desert, while Peabody Coal company drains the land of natural water sources. Many must drive several miles to the tanks to fill and haul water back to their homes.
Living room. With colors like this, you expect this house to have been the scene of a number of unsolved and grisly murders.
Here it is - Stagecoach Inn at new location, freshly built concrete block foundation visible. News Chronicle Collection, 04-26-1970_1, CTO_495, photographer Leathem Field.
We're happy to share this digital image on Flickr. Please note that this is a copyrighted image. For information regarding obtaining a reproduction of this image, please contact the Special Collections Librarian of the Thousand Oaks Library at specoll@tolibrary.org
Title: Washington Park: Rehabilitation and Relocation
Creator: Boston Redevelopment Authority
Date: 1965 October 14
Source: Boston Redevelopment Authority photographs, Collection #4010.001
File name: 4010_001_A274_012
Rights: In Copyright - Non commercial use permitted
Citation: Boston Redevelopment Authority photographs, Collection #4010.001, City of Boston Archives, Boston
Originally Weston's; Former Kmart & Hobby Lobby. Ulta Beauty and Old Navy both relocated here from the Shops at Ithaca Mall.
Ithaca, NY. June 2024.
If you would like to use THIS picture in any sort of media (such as newspaper or article) please send me a Flickr mail or an e-mail at natehenderson6@gmail.com.
Construction crews working for WSDOT relocate a noise wall in the Talbot Hill neighborhood in Renton during July 2017 as part of the I-405/SR 167 Interchange Direct Connector project.
Mussel relocation in the Portage River at the Elmore Bridge. Districts 1,3, and 10 participating
photo by Nick Buchanan, ODOT.
Image Courtesy: FaceMePLS (www.flickr.com/photos/faceme/1517562228), Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic | Flickr
In the months following the 1955 flood a number of houses were relocated to a new subdivision at Telarah, enabling people to be free from the recurring fear of floods.
This relocation effort was made possible by the work and generosity The Lions Club of Maitland and with the assistance of other Lions Club nearby.
Image courtesy of John Fraser
This image can be used for study and personal research purposes. Please observe copyright and acknowledge source of all photos. If you wish to reproduce this image for any other purpose you must obtain permission by contacting Maitland City Library
If you have any further information about the image, please contact us or leave a comment in the box below.
The 19th century log cabin was relocated to Heritage Corner. The cabin is representative of the housing built by yeoman farmers who moved into the area during the first half of the 19th century.
Cardboard, also referred to as corrugated cardboard, is a recyclable material that i recycled by small and large scale businesses to save money on waste disposal costs. Cardboard recycling is the reprocessing and reuse of thick sheets or stiff multilayered papers that have been used, discarded or regarded as waste. Cardboard boxes are usually heavy-duty or thick-sheets of paper known for their durability and hardness. Examples of cardboard include packaging boxes, egg cartoons, shoe boxes, and cereal boxes.
Recycling is good for us as it not only saves our environment from deterioration by reducing pollution but also conserves valuable resources and creates jobs. Cardboard recycling is done as a way of keeping the environment clean and green. The steps below provide an explanation of the cardboard recycling system.
Step-by-Step Process of Cardboard Recycling
1. Collection
Collection is the first step of recycling cardboard. Recyclers and businesses collect the waste cardboard at designated cardboard collection points. Majority of the collection points include trash bins, stores, scrap yards, and commercial outlets that generate cardboard waste. After collection, they are then measured and hauled to recycling facilities, mostly paper mills.
At this point, there are certain types of cardboard that are accepted while some are not depending on how they were used or manufactured. For instance, cardboard that are waxed and coated or used for food packaging are not accepted in most cases as they undergo different specialized recycling process.
2. Sorting
Once the corrugated boxes arrive at the recycling facility, they are sorted according to the materials they are made of. In most cases, they are classified into corrugated cardboard and boxboard. Boxboards are the ones that are thin such as those used for cardboard drink containers or cereals boxes while corrugated cardboard boxes are bigger and stiffer commonly used for packaging transport goods. Sorting is important since paper mills manufacture different grades of materials based on the materials being recovered.
3. Shredding and Pulping
After sorting is done, the next step is shredding then pulping follows. Shredding is done to break down the cardboard paper fibers into minute pieces. Once the material is finely shredded into pieces, it is mixed with water and chemicals to breakdown the paper fibers that turn it into a slurry substance.
This process is what is termed as pulping. The pulped material is then blended with new pulp, generally from wood chips that ultimately help the resulting substance to solidify and become firmer.
4. Filtering, conterminal removal and De-Inking
The pulpy material is then taken through a comprehensive filtering process to get rid of all the foreign materials present as well as impurities such as strings, tape or glue. The pulp further goes into a chamber where contaminants like plastics and metals staples are removed through a centrifuge-like process. Plastics float on top while the heavy metal staples fall to the bottom after which they are eliminated.
The next process, de-inking, involves putting the pulp in a floatation device made up of chemicals that takes away any form of dyes or ink via a series of filtering and screening. This step is also called the cleaning process as it cleans the pulp thoroughly to ensure it is ready for the final processing stage.
5. Finishing for reuse
At this stage, the cleaned pulp is blended with new production materials after which, it is put to dry on a flat conveyor belt and heated cylindrical surfaces. As the pulp dries, it is passed through an automated machine that press out excess water and facilitates the formation of a long rolls of solid sheet from the fibers called linerboards and mediums. The linerboards are glued together, layer by layer to make a new piece of cardboard.
In other cases, the medium is used as the corrugated sheet which is taken through two huge metal rolls with teeth to give it the ridges. Linerboards are then glued to the medium as the thin outer covering. Alternatively, the linerboards and mediums are ferried to boxboard manufacturers where the manufacturing process is completed by use of machines that shape and create crease along pattern folds to make the boxes used for packaging or transporting products.
The Morley Galleria Water Compensation Basin Relocation plan. A giant 'screw you!' to anyone who uses the bus to do their shopping...
Relocation day. Today we spend the sunday by moving out of the old studio and moving into the new one, just next door.
I’m looking forward to use more daylight in my future portrait session, but we still have some construction days before we are ready to welcome our customers.
[ website | instagram | istock | getty images ]
model: Selfportrait
location: Pixi Studio, Dronninglund, Denmark
Fotos Nuevas Mayo 2013
© Álbum 0158
By Catedrales e Iglesias
By Cathedrals and Churches
Arquidiócesis Primada de México
Ex Convento Regina Coeli (Natividad de María Santísima)
Párroco Señor Presbítero José Cenobio Ramírez Chávez
Calle de Bolivar No 92
Colonia Centro
C.P. 6080
Delegación Cuauhtémoc
Tel. 5709-2640
Tel.
Fax. 5709-6272
En 1573 la administración virreinal cedió amplios terrenos a las religiosas concepcionistas en el viejo calpulli prehispánico de Moyotlán (más tarde barrio de San Juan) para que establecieran un convento.
La fundación, dedicada a la Reina del Cielo traducción de la expresión latina Regina Coeli y a la Natividad de la Virgen María, fue aprobada por el Papa Gregorio XIII en 1578.
El templo del monasterio se edificó en el ángulo que forman las actuales calles de Bolívar y Regina, frente a un espacio libre que ya en el siglo XVII se conocía con el nombre de Plaza Chiquita de Regina. Su forma irregular se origino en el trazo de una de las acequias que atravesaban ese baldío. El convento y el templo primitivos fueron muy pobres, con cimentación deficiente.
La reestructuración de estos edificios se realizó en 1656 a expensas de Melchor de Terreros. El templo se reformo después y se abrió el 13 de septiembre de 1731. La obra la proyectó el arquitecto Miguel Custodio Durán y la financió el arzobispo José Lanciego y Eguilaz.
Como todas las plazas y calles de la ciudad colonial anteriores a la gestión del virrey Revillagigedo, la Plaza de Regina no escapó a la suciedad y abandono en que se encontraban los espacios exteriores de la metrópoli: falta de drenaje conveniente, encharcamientos constantes, ausencia de empedrados y banquetas y carencia de iluminación nocturna, que la convertían en un lugar peligroso durante las noches. Además, en ella frecuentemente se asentaban tianguis y tablados de toda índole, habiendo sido utilizada, incluso, para matanza de animales, mezclándose a todas esas incomodidades el espectáculo de mendigos y menesterosos que se aposentaban en ella durante las funciones religiosas.
Transformación radical sufrió la plaza al ser exclaustradas las monjas concepcionistas, conjuntamente con las de otras órdenes religiosas, el 8 de marzo de 1863, y aunque estas volvieron al convento durante el imperio de Maximiliano de Habsburgo, el 14 de noviembre de 1867 se entregó el convento a la Secretaría de Guerra, sirviendo de cuartel hasta el 15 de junio de 1871, cuando el gobierno de la República lo dió, en pago de adeudos, al acaudalado Ramón Obregón.
El templo, por su parte, permaneció abierto al culto. Un informe rendido por el regidor del ramo en 1868, hace mención de las obras realizadas para que desaparecieran la insalubridad y los muladares acumulados en la plaza, donde ya existía una fuente pública que cuidaban las autoridades de la ciudad, insistiendo en que debía barrerse y regarse todos los días "por los aguadores que concurren a la fuente de Regina a sacar agua", así como para que los areneros, carboneros, zacateros o cualquier otro tratante de este género, asearan el lugar que ocupasen con sus mercaderías. Además, en febrero de ese mismo año, se instalaron faroles de hojalata con aparatos de gas líquido, de trementina, de veinte luces, sustituyendo al alumbrado de aceite instalado por la administración colonial.
Gracias a la generosidad y filantropía de la señorita María Concepción Máxima Béistegui y García, quien a su muerte, ocurrida en 1873, cedió sus bienes para la fundación de un hospital en lo que fuera el Convento de Regina, se pudieron salvar de la destrucción, que se había iniciado poco antes, el claustro principal y las crujías adyacentes al mismo. Así, el denominado Hospital Concepción Béistegui, después de laboriosa adaptación, fue inaugurado por el Gral. Porfirio Díaz el 21 de marzo de 1886.
El resto del convento fue dividido en lotes, construyéndose en su lugar varias casas y locales sin ningún valor arquitectónico. En 1967, las autoridades del Departamento del Distrito Federal, ante la necesidad de contar con amplios espacios abiertos en esta zona de la ciudad, eligieron la Plaza de Regina como una de las primeras en la restauración de los centros cívicos capitalinos.
Entonces la plaza fue cerrada al tránsito vehicular en el tramo de la calle de Regina que corría frente al templo, dejándolo fluir únicamente por la calle lateral ubicada al norte de la plaza, y llevando el pavimento pétreo, en adoquín de San Luis Potosí, hasta la fachada misma del templo. Los árboles existentes fueron reubicados al norte de la plaza para permitir mayor visibilidad al edificio.
Informacion tomada de
www.ciudadanosenred.org.mx/node/16488
Ex Convent Regina Coeli (Nativity of Mary)
Mr. Priest Pastor Jose Ramirez Chavez Cenobio
Bolivar Street No 92
Cologne Center
C.P. 6080
Cuauhtemoc
Mexico City
Phone 5709-2640
Phone
Fax. 5709-6272
In 1573 the colonial administration gave the spacious grounds of the old religious Conceptionists calpulli prehispanic Moyotlan (later district of San Juan) to establish a convent.
The foundation, dedicated to the Queen of Heaven translation of the Latin Regina Coeli and the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, was approved by Pope Gregory XIII in 1578.
The temple of the monastery was built in the angle formed by the present streets of Bolívar and Regina, compared to free space in the seventeenth century and was known by the name of Piazza Regina Chiquita. Its irregular shape originated in the stroke of one of the canals running through this wasteland. The convent and the primitive church were very poor, poor foundation.
The restructuring of these buildings was performed in 1656 at the expense of Melchor de Terreros. The temple was later reformed and opened on September 13, 1731. The work was designed by the architect Miguel Custodio Durán and funded the Archbishop Jose Lanciego and Eguilaz.
Like all the squares and streets of the colonial city prior to the management of Viceroy Revillagigedo, Plaza Regina did not escape the dirt and neglect that were outside spaces of the metropolis: lack of appropriate drainage, ponding constant, no paving and sidewalks and lack of night lighting, which became a dangerous place at night. Moreover, she often settled swap meets and tablados of all kinds, having been used, even to killing animals, mixing all these discomforts the spectacle of beggars and needy that aposentaban there for religious functions.
Square underwent radical transformation when exclaustradas the Franciscan nuns, together with those of other religious orders, the March 8, 1863, and although these returned to the monastery during the reign of Maximilian of Hapsburg, 14 November 1867 gave the convent to the Secretary of War, serving as headquarters until June 15, 1871, when the government of the Republic gave it in payment of debts, the wealthy Ramón Obregón.
The church, meanwhile, remained open for worship. A report issued by the ruler of the sector in 1868, makes mention of the work undertaken to disappear unhealthiness and middens accumulated in the square, where there was already a public source guarded the city authorities, insisting he swept and watered every day "by the watermen who attend Regina source to draw water" as well as for litter boxes, coal, or any other dealer zacateros of this kind, asearan occupy the place with their merchandise. Moreover, in February of that year, tin lanterns were installed with liquid gas appliances, turpentine, twenty lights, replacing oil lamps installed by the colonial administration.
Thanks to the generosity and philanthropy of Miss Maria Conception High Beistegui and Garcia, who at his death in 1873, transferred its assets to the foundation of a hospital in what was once the Convent of Regina, were saved from destruction, that had begun shortly before, the main cloister and the bays adjacent to it. So-called Beistegui Conception Hospital, after laborious adaptation, was inaugurated by General Porfirio Diaz on March 21, 1886.
The rest of the convent was divided into lots, built several houses in place and local architectural worthless. In 1967, the authorities of the Federal District, to the need for open spaces in this area of the city, chose Regina Square as one of the first in the restoration of civic centers in the capital.
Then the square was closed to traffic on the stretch of Regina Street that ran opposite the temple, just letting it flow down the side street just north of the square, carrying the stone pavement in San Luis Potosi cobble up the facade of the temple itself. Existing trees were relocated to the north of the square to allow greater visibility to the building.
The burr arch truss covered bridge was built in 1847 over Chickies Creek. It was rebuilt in 1855. In 1971, the bridge was relocated to Manheim Veteran Memorial Park where its spans Big Chiques Creek. The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The bronze statue that once stood atop the Pitt County Confederate Soldiers Monument is secured for transport as the sun begins to rise on Monday, June 22. Crews worked throughout the night to disassemble the monument while hampered by equipment issues; the remainder of the monument was removed on Tuesday evening. Work was performed at night to prevent interfering with traffic, court proceedings, and businesses in the Uptown area.
On Monday, June 15, the Pitt County Board of Commissioners voted to relocate the memorial due to threat of vandalism and concern for public safety after property damage occurred during rioting in the Uptown area two weeks earlier. Following the vote to relocate the monument, County Commissioners created a committee to select a new location for the statue, which has not been determined at this time.
The monument was formally dedicated in November 1914; various groups have called for its removal from the courthouse grounds since at least the 1990’s.
“NOW THEREFORE, be it resolved that the City Council of the City of Greenville is committed to a community where all are welcome and should be treated equally with the same compassion in every interaction with a commitment to fairness, equality, kindness, justice, peace, and understanding.” — excerpt from Resolution For Equality, adopted by Greenville City Council on June 15, 2020.
Alisal Recycler is a premier office mover, committed to help making your business move as simple as possible. Our services include the moving/relocation of:
Offices
Laboratories
Factories / Warehouses
Store fixtures
Corporate Suites
Hotel Furniture
Trade show equipment
Also,our relocation specialists can assist in setting your priorities, developing a relocation plan and helping with all aspects of your move.
Running a business is a lot of work. Let us take care of your relocation, so you can focus on what’s most important to you.
By the time this location was built in 1987, McDonald's had done away with basements and were building "double-wides" like this one all over the area instead, something that would have been impossible to do at the Southaven location without completely relocating to a larger piece of property. At least three other double-wide locations remain un-eyebrowed in the Memphis area: Getwell Rd. and Mendenhall in Memphis, and the Senatobia Mississippi location, which is a rebuild of a smaller store. All of those locations I already have photos of on flickr.
____________________________________
McDonald's, 1987-built, Ridgeway Rd. at Primacy Pkwy., Memphis