View allAll Photos Tagged monastery

Flowers in the Ghighiu monastery, Prahova near Ploiesti

Outside a monastery in the stupa complex

Prahova Valley, Wallachia, Romania

The beautiful St. Catherine's Monastery in Arequipa, Peru.

 

City of Arequipa page at the UNESCO World Heritage website

Rumtek monastery, Sikkim

leaving at the sunset

Unique antique table from Austria near the border of Northern Italy. The table was being used in a monastery as a desk. It has unique corners and the top slides open for storage. Very beautiful.

For more details, visit: roundtripimports.net/austrian-antique-table

The Cistercian monastery of Vyšší Brod is located about 30 km to the south of Český Krumlov, on the right bank of the Vltava river. The monastery church with its adjacent buildings was constructed step-by-step from the mid 13th century and it was finished in the later half of the 14th century. The oldest part is the one floor sacristy dated about 1270.

The Holy Stavropegiac and Patriarchal Preveli Monastery of St. John the Theologian, known as the Monastery of Preveli, comprises two main building complexes, the ruined Lower Monastery of St. John the Baptist, and the currently operational Upper Monastery of St. John the Theologian.

 

Crete is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, the 88th largest island in the world and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, after Sicily, Sardinia, Cyprus, and Corsica.

The Sinaia Monastery, located in Sinaia, in Prahova County, Romania, was founded by Prince Mihail Cantacuzino in 1695 and named after the great Saint Catherine's Monastery on Mount Sinai in Egypt.

As of 2005, it is inhabited by 13 Christian Orthodox monks led by hegumen Macarie Boguș.

It is part of the Bucharest archdiocese.

 

Its architectural style is Byzantine

 

The monastery gave its name to the town of Sinaia.

The monastery consists of two courtyards surrounded by low buildings.

In the centre of each courtyard there is a small church built in the Byzantine style.

One of them —"Biserica Veche" (The Old Church)— dates from 1695, while the more recent "Biserica Mare" (The Great Church) was built in 1846.

 

The monks possess a library that is a repository for valuable jewels belonging to the Cantacuzino family, as well as the earliest Romanian translation of the Bible, dated 1668.

 

Prince (Spătarul) Mihail Cantacuzino founded the monastery upon his return from a pilgrimage to Mount Sinai.

The first buildings were completed between 1690 and 1695.

It was designed to serve as a monastery as well as a fortified stronghold on the route from Brasov to Bucharest.

The initial plan was for the monastery to hold 12 monks, to imitate the Twelve Apostles, but in time the number of monks grew.

 

In the midst of the Russo-Turkish War, 1735–1739, before deserting the monastery, monks hid the valuables by burying them inside a bell.

During a battle, the Turks defeated troops stationed within the walls of the monastery.

The Ottomans burned the area and broke through the wall in two places.

 

Until 1850, Sinaia consisted of little more than the monastery and a group of huts.

In 1864, however, the monastic estate was assigned to the Board of Civil Hospitals (Eforia Spitalelor Civile), which opened a hospital and several baths, and helped develop mineral springs in Sinaia.

 

In 1948, the monastery was put under the patronage of the Archdiocese of Bucharest from the Board of Civil Hospitals.

The Romanian Patriarch, Justinian Marina, restored the buildings between the years 1951 and 1957 with money from the Archdiocese.

During this period, the whole monastery was fitted with running water, electricity, and natural gas.

Thanks to the efforts of King Carol I, the Great Church of the monastery became the first church to use electric lights inside.

 

Under the leadership of Hegumens Ioasaf and Paisie, construction of The Great Church began in 1842 using funds allocated by the monastery and was completed in 1846.

This smaller structure was enlarged by the Board of Civil Hospitals during a period from 1897 to 1903.

All these efforts gave the building the appearance it has today.

 

Created by architect George Mandrea, the structure utilizes the Moldavian style and the Brâncovenesc style from Walachia.

It is said that the belt of three green enamel lines that encircle the building represent the unity of the Holy Trinity in one God and the unity of the Three Romanian Kingdoms in one country.

 

The gold mosaic paintings inside were created by Danish artist Aage Exner in a typical neo-Byzantine style.

The main illustrations show five persons:

Iosif Gheorghian mitropolit primat – he re-opened the building in 1903

Carol I of Romania – shown dressed as an officer, with his right hand upon a rock pillar with a missing piece.

This symbolizes the missing Romanian territories at that time

Elisabeth of Wied – Queen consort of Romania, known in the literary world as Carmen Sylva

Princess Maria of Romania – Queen Elisabeta's only child, who died at an early age

Mihail Cantacuzino – builder of the Old Church

 

The furniture was made of wood (sycamore, maple, and oak) by Constantin Babic and his students at the Bucharest Art School (Ṣcoala de Arte si Meserii).

The King's throne displays the royal emblem and the motto Nihil sine Deo (Nothing without God).

The Queen's throne is embossed with the letters E.D. Both thrones are gold-plated.

 

The two Russian icons, of Saint Serghei and Saint Nicholas, were a gift from Tsar Nicholas II of Russia in 1903.

They were presented to the Hegumen Nifon Arhimandritul for the baptism of Prince Nicholae, son of King Ferdinand.

 

A remarkable piece adorning the monastery is the epitaphios by Anna Roth, made of silk and gold on a cotton base.

It took three years (from 1897 to 1900) to finish.

 

During the leadership of Hegumen Nifon Popescu (1888–1909), a large bell tower was added to the monastery walls.

It was completed in 1892.

The 1,700-kilogram bell was brought from the Colţea Tower in Bucharest.

 

To the left of the bell tower at the entrance lies the Museum.

In 1895 the museum of the monastery was opened, the first exhibition of religious objects in Romania.

It holds collections of icons and crosses from the 17th century, the very first Bible in Romanian (Bucharest, 1688), and many other precious objects.

 

The New Church dates back to 1846, but was renovated and enlarged in the following decades at the initiative of King Carol the 1st who used the monastery as a summer residence until the inauguration of the nearby Peles Castle.

Given the constant presence of its royal guests, the Great Church was adorned with the large-scale painted portraits of Queen Elisabeta and King Carol the 1st and two royal seats close to the altar.

 

The large proportions of the New Church and combination of typical elements of the ‘Brancovenesc’ style — the small porch with carved stone columns and ornated portal — and the Moldavian church style — high and solid walls similar to a fortress — create a one of a kind church in Southern Romania, a symbol of the cultural unity of the Romanian provinces.

The new chapel at the monastery at Rohia, near Dej, Romania

The Monastery of the Cross (Georgian: ჯვრის მონასტერი) is an Orthodox monastery near the Nayot neighborhood of Jerusalem, Israel. It is located in the Valley of the Cross, below the Israel Museum and the Knesset.

The monastery was built in the 11th century, during the reign of King Bagrat IV by the Georgian Giorgi-Prokhore of Shavsheti. It is believed that the site was originally consecrated in the 4th century under the instruction of the Roman emperor Constantine the Great, who later gave the site to the Georgian King Mirian III of Iberia after the conversion of his country to Christianity in 327 A.D.

By the 14th century, the monastery had become the center of the Georgian community in Jerusalem. By 1685, however, the monastery had been taken over by the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate

Phuktal Monastery or Phuktal Gompa (often transliterated as Phugtal) is a Buddhist monastery located in the remote Lungnak Valley in south-eastern Zanskar, in the Himalayan region of Ladakh, in Northern India. It is one of the only Buddhist monasteries in Ladakh that can still be reached only by foot. Supplies to the monastery are brought on horses, donkeys, and mules in the warmer months, and in the frozen winters, they are transported through the frozen Zanskar River. A road is expected to be built up to the monastery, however, for now, it is a day's walk from Village Cha or Village Khangsaar, the end of the road leading from Padum.

an not very old monastery, app. 100 years, now abandoned

扎什伦布寺 日喀则

 

Tashibunpo Monastery, Shigatse 3860M

monastery of st. amrina in andros,greece

Monastery of Santa Maria la Real in Nájera.

rousanou monastery and agios nikolaos monastery

1 2 ••• 62 63 65 67 68 ••• 79 80