View allAll Photos Tagged monastery
San Simon Monastery is a Greek-Orthodox complex built in the 19th century in Jeruslaem. By mediavel tradition it is the burial site of “Saing Simon”, A jewish elder who met and blessed Jesus when he was an infant (Luke 2).
Today the monastery is maintained by a single monk (Theodoritus) and is opened only for Christian pilgrims.
VORONETZ Monastery, the, so called, "Sistine Chapel of the East"
The Skelligs are two jagged rocky islands jutting out of the Atlantic ocean of the west coast of Kerry in the south west of Ireland.
The rocks have drawn men for centuries - you just have to see them from the mainland to want to go there, they look like something that Hollywood dreamt up.
The larger of the two rocks, Skellig Michael hosts an early Christian monastery which is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has been remarkably preserved since it was abandoned in the 13th Century due to the island's inaccessibility and the simple solidity of the stone buildings.
Haghpat Monastery, also known as Haghpatavank (Armenian: Հաղպատավանք), is a medieval monastery complex in Haghpat, Armenia.
The monastery was founded by Queen Khosrovanuysh, wife of the Bagratid king Ashot III, probably in 976. The nearby monastery at Sanahin was built around the same time.
The location of Haghpat Monastery was chosen so that it overlooks the Debed River in northern Armenia's Lori region. It was built, not on a peak, but halfway up a hillside on a site chosen to afford protection and concealment from prying eyes and also in response to a kind of monastic humility. It is built on a verdant promontory located in the middle of a mountain cirque, which is often wreathed in clouds. A peak on the opposite side of the river is over 2,500 meters high. The monasteries of northern Armenia are not isolated, unlike their counterparts in the country's arid regions. They were built in a village environment and Haghpat is surrounded by many hamlets.
The largest church in the complex, the Cathedral of Surb Nishan, probably begun in 976, was completed in 991 by king Smbat. It is a typical example of tenth century Armenian architecture, its central dome rests on the four imposing pillars of the lateral walls. The outside walls are dotted with triangular recesses. A fresco in the apse depicts Christ Pantocrator. Its donor, the Armenian Prince Khutulukhaga, is depicted in the south transept (a transversal nave intersecting the main nave). The sons of the church's founder, Princes Smbat and Kurike, are shown with Queen Khosravanuysh in a bas-relief on the east gable. Apart from one or two minor restorations carried out in the eleventh and twelfth centuries, the church has retained its original character.
There are several other structures at the site as well. There is the small domed Church of Sourb Grigor (St. Gregory ) from 1005. Two side chapels were added to the original church; the larger one built in the beginning of the 13th century and the smaller, known as "Hamazasp House", built in 1257. In 1245, a three-story tall free-standing belltower was constructed. Other 13th century additions include the chapel of Sourb Astvatsatsin, the scriptorium, and a large refectory which is outside the monastery limits.
There are also a number of splendid khachkars (cross-stones) of the 11th-13th centuries standing on the territory of the monastery, the best known among them is the "Amenaprkich" (All-Savior) khachkar which has been standing since 1273.
The monastery has been damaged many times. Sometime around 1130, an earthquake destroyed parts of Haghpat Monastery and it was not restored until fifty years later. It also suffered numerous attacks by armed forces in the many centuries of its existence and from a major earthquake in 1988. Nevertheless, much of the complex is still intact and stands today without substantial alterations.
the Cartusian convent of Benifassà was founded as a Cistercian monastery in the Middle Ages.
The area of 'La Tinença de Benifassà' was the property of the monastery.
New monastery foundation stone 11 Nov 1928 by Archbishop Robert Spence, opened 22 Sep 1929, extensions foundation stone 5 Nov 2000 by Archbishop Leonard Faulkner. A new wing for laymen’s retreats foundation stone 19 May 1957 by Norman Thomas Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney. First Passionist Monastery opened 1896 in “The Glen”, home built 1849 by Joseph Barrow Montefiore at Glen Osmond, extensions 1900, demolished 1929 when new monastery built.
[Photo of original building: Advertiser 5 Aug 1927, page 14]
“His Grace the Archbishop performed a double ceremony at Glen Osmond . . . blessed and opened the new church recently completed for the Passionist Fathers, and blessed and laid the foundation-stone of the new Monastery, which is so badly needed on account of the dilapidated state of the old building.” [Southern Cross 16 Nov 1928]
“The old place had long since outlived its usefulness, the structure having become positively dangerous as a residence. . . The architectural design is after the Spanish example of such homes, the outer, walls being roughly coated with plaster.” [Southern Cross 27 Sep 1929]
“the Passionist Order . . . to establish a house in this colony. With that end in view the well-known property, ‘The Glen’, situated at Glen Osmond, the residence of the late Mr. Justice Boothby, has been purchased. The block consists of twelve acres, and is beautifully situated.” [Adelaide Observer 9 Nov 1895]
“at this time a beautiful property, known as ‘The Glen’, Glen Osmond, the residence of Judge Boothby, was offered for sale, the price asked being £2,500. As both the Archbishop and the Fathers considered the site most suitable in every way for a Passionist Retreat, it was purchased. His Grace contributing out of his slender means the princely sum of £1,000 towards the required amount. On January 10, 1896, the Passionists took possession of their new home.” [Southern Cross 19 Oct 1934]
“Rev. Father Hillary, on behalf of the order of Passionists, will take possession of ‘The Glen’, the residence of the late Mr. Justice Boothby at Glen Osmond, which will in future be used as the community's monastery. In a few days the lay brothers of the order will arrive, and the cultivation of the grounds will be immediately proceeded with.” [Advertiser 11 Jan 1896]
“One of the principal rooms of the monastery serves as a temporary chapel . . . the blessing of a large oilpainting representing St. Paul of the Cross, the founder of the Passionist Order. The picture is the gift of the Father-General of the Order in Rome, and it was brought out by Fathers John and Frederick, who arrived from England recently.” [Express & Telegraph 19 Jan 1897]
“The buildings were generally in a dilapidated condition and although some repairs were undertaken shortly after occupation, in order that the place might be habitable.” [Advertiser 1 Oct 1900]
“Monastery . . . having been built probably three or four decades, is not up to modern requirements, and was in a state of disrepair when the fathers first entered. The additions have been made sooner than anticipated, as the rear portion of the edifice had become so unsafe that its demolition was urgently advised. . . The additions consist of a staircase, hall, and corridors on the ground floor, with refectory 30 x 18 x 14 ft. high, lit with large triple windows. . . A spacious open promenade partially protected with verandah is provided for the private use of the inhabitants of the monastery for study or recreation purposes.” [Southern Cross 5 Oct 1900]
“St. Paul's Retreat, Glen Osmond, better known as the old Monastery. . . In 1840 the locality was under cultivation. It was owned by the late Mr. Arthur Hardy, who many years cultivated vines. . . In 1847 Mr. Joseph Barrow Montefiore bought 16 acres of land from Mr. Hardy and named this estate The Glen. The new owner built the house in Oriental design, and planted the grounds with trees and plants. . . In 1853 Mr. John Stephen Boldero, a retired Indian judge, bought and occupied the house. The new owner added to the beauty of the mansion, and lived there until 1855, when the late Mr. Justice Boothby, one of South Australia's earliest judges, took over the estate. . . In 1896 the Passionist Fathers took possession of The Glen from Miss Boothby, a sister of the late judge. From that day the mansion has been a monastery, and is known as St. Paul's Retreat, named after the founder of the Order. . . The judge's bedroom and a drawing room were converted into a little chapel. . . The building is now dilapidated. . . as soon as sufficient accommodation is available in the new building the old monastery will be demolished. The new building will take the form of a church and monastery adjoined, and will form three sides of a square.” [The Mail 26 Aug 1926]
THE ORIGINAL HOUSE
“the beautiful parks of Glen Osmond. . . Among other Park residences nearer that which is the Glen, we observed an elegant mansion nearly completed, the property of J. B. Montefiore, Esq.” [Adelaide Observer 18 Aug 1849]
“To be Let or Sold, that splendid Property situate at Glen Osmond, well-known as THE GLEN, late in the occupation of J. B. Montefiore, Esq. The mansion contains in all twenty-four rooms fitted up in the best style with every convenience, and has a beautiful Garden and excellent out-buildings attached. The extent of first-rate land comprises about thirty-four acres, on which there is also a separate and smaller House. The whole Estate commands a view of the Gulf, is most desirable for the healthiness and convenience of the locality.” [Register 18 Jun 1852]
“instructions from J. S. Boldero, Esq., to sell, at his residence. THE GLEN, All his magnificent Drawing-Room, Dining Room, and Bed-Room Furniture and Effects.” [Register 11 Jul 1854]
“instructed by Miss Boothby, the Executrix of the late George Boothby, to sell by auction . . . The Glen, being the former and well-known residence of the late Mr. Justice Boothby, acquired by him in 1855. This is a beautiful Property, comprising about 31 Acres of rich land, and an excellent House of about Twenty Rooms, with very broad Verandah and Balcony on three sides. There is a good Garden and Orchard, including orange and lemon trees and cultivation paddock. Stabling, Coachhouse, Gardener's residence.” [Register 21 Feb 1895]
An important building in the history of Belem, Lisbon, Portugal.
"In the 14th century, the small Lisbon chapel, Santa Maria de Belém, was presided over by monks of the military-religious Order of Christ. Originally built by Prince Henry the Navigator, the duty of the monks there was to assist Portuguese sailors and ships leaving port for long journeys. Seamen and crew would spend their last night in Portugal within the church, often praying for safe travel and confessing their sins to the monks there in case they did not return to land.
Of the most famous was the great Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama, who was the first European to reach the Far East by sea and who credited the night of prayer in the church with his success. Upon the triumphant return of de Gama and the new found riches, King Manuel I began construction of a new monastery on the location, one to showcase the glorious wealth that the age of exploration brought to the Portuguese empire.
The monastery and church were built over the next 100 years with taxes from imported goods from Africa and the far east. Unsurprisingly, several architects and numerous sculptors worked on the building, together achieving a level of cohesive realization in creating one of the most majestic examples of Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture.
The King donated the construction to the monks of the Hieronymite order, who were tasked with praying for the soul of the King and his family— likely no small task when considering the atrocities of Portuguese explorers and traders among plundered lands all in the name and with approval of their King. Regardless, for the next several hundred years the monks continued in their duties until the order was dissolved and the monastery abandoned in 1833. For a time it was a children’s school, but it gradually fell from its grandeur into disrepair thanks to earthquakes and neglect.
It has seen several restoration projects and cleanings since the mid-1800s, where it once again became the pride of the capital city. In 2007, the Treaty of Lisbon was signed at Jerónimos. Today, the monastery is a UNESCO world heritage site. Inside are the tombs of the royal family, Vasco de Gama, and Luís de Camões among other notable Portuguese notables from the age of its construction."
October 2019
St Barnabas' Monastery and Museum, Famagusta, Cyprus
Saint Barnabas Monastery & Museum
The Monastery of St. Barnabas is at the opposite side of the Salamis-Famagusta road, by the Royal Tombs. You can easily tell it by its two fairly large domes. It was built to commemorate the foremost saint of Cyprus, whose life was so intertwined with the spread of the Christian message in the years immediately following the death of Christ.
Barnabas was a native of the ancient city Salamis, and was a Jew, though his family had been settled for some time in Cyprus. His real name was in fact Joses, or Joseph; Barnabas was the name given to him by the early Christian apostles because he was recognised as `a son of Prophecy', or as Luke puts it `a son of consolation'. There is no contradiction here. Luke is merely emphasising that one of the great historic functions of prophecy was to console the believer and keep him in the faith.
He was reputed to be an inspired teacher of Christianity, but more than that he played a very great role in the development of early Christianity. He was also the man to acknowledge that Paul's conversion to Christianity was absolutely sincere, and above all he recognised the genius of Paul, whom he introduced to the Christian fellowship in Jerusalem. When Barnabas was later sent to Antioch to supervise the work of the early Church there, he had Paul as his assistant. Later still, of course, he undertook his great missionary journey with Paul, visiting among other places, his own country of Cyprus.
Finally, of course, we know certainly that Paul and Barnabas had a strong diffrence of opinion about Barnabas' nephew, John Mark, and the two friends parted company. Paul wrote later that the rift was healed but by that time Barnabas was probably already back in Cyprus.
The monastery which bears Barnabas' name was originally built in the last part of the fifth century, to commemorate the discovery of his body, and the dignity and the seniority it brought to the early Christian Church of Cyprus. Parts of the early building have been preserved in the more recent churh which was built by Archbishop Philotheos in 1756. The money for the purchase of the land on which the monastery was built, is supposed to have been provided by the Byzantine Emperor at the time Barnabas' body was found.
When you look carefully at the church you will notice the traces of the original fifth century building and also places it seems to have been enlarged and changed, probably in the very late mediaeval period. But in the main it is fairly conventional Greek Orthodox architecture of the eighteen century.
On one of the walls, the story of how Barnabas' body was shown to the Archbishop in a dream, is rendered in small pictures. These were done in the present century, but some of the icons and statues are a good deal older.
On another wall, somewhat incongruously, hang wax replicas of limbs in a gesture of gratitude for the ailing limbs which the Apostle Barnabas is supposed to have miraculously cured. Close by, the image of st. Heraklion stares at you from every angle you choose. All these items, ancient and modern have been very well looked after and are shown with great oride by the curator of the church.
The marble columns supporting the domes are conspicuous and rather spectacular. It is impossible to be certain, but these may well have come from Salamis. In one sense, the little rock tomb in which Barnabas is supposed to have been found gives the authentic flavour of the Christian evangelist and martyr much more effectively.
The church of St Barnabas is exactly as it was when its last three monks left it in 1976. The church apparatus ; pulpits, wooden lectern, and pews are still in place. It houses a rich collection of painted and gilt icons mostly dating from the 18th century.
The carved blocks and capital blocks in the garden and cloister courtyard come from Salamis. The black basalt grinding mill come from Enkomi.
The cloister of the monastery have recently been restored and at present serve as the archaeological museum. This section houses an exquisite collection of ancient pottery displayed chronologically, representing the changes in morphology and decoration of pottery in Cyprus from the Neolithic to the Roman times. The rest of the collection covers bronze and marble art objects.
Capriana Monastery - Moldova
Căpriana monastery is a monastery in Căpriana, Moldova, located 40 km north-west of Chişinău.
One of the oldest monasteries of Moldova, Căpriana is located 40 km (25 mi) to the north-west of the country's capital Chișinău in a picturesque forested area once called Codrii Lăpușnei.
The first significant reference dates from a document issued in 1429 that gave Căpriana the status of royal monastery on behalf of Alexander the Good. In this deed the holy abode was referred to as "mănăstirea de la Vâșnovăț unde este egumen Chiprian" (the monastery of Vâșnovăț where the hegumen is Chiprian) and was given in the possession of Alexander's wife - princess Marena.
This monastery was built in the 17th century, and is home to monks who sell wine and olive oil, presumably to generate money for the church. The olive oil they sell here is pretty famous, so these guys know what they are doing.
Tidligere var klosteret både landets kirkelige og administrative centrum. Dengang omfattede Montenegro næppe mere end højsletten omkring Cetinje.
Earlier the monastery was both the ecclesiastical and administrative centre of the country. At that time Montenegro hardly comprised more than the plateau around Cetinje.
Agapia Monastery
The history of this monastery starts with the old settlement - Agapia din Deal (Agapia from the hill) - founded probably, by Petru Rares and his wife Elena, between 1527-1538 or 1541-1546. The high place, hardly accessible, were Agapia din Deal is located, makes that at the beginning of the 17th century all the annexes to be moved on the place that it is today at Agapia din Vale (from the valley). Ruined and again built, burned and remade again, Agapia din Deal become a very charming hermitage. On the place of the church, built at the begining of the 17th century, hetman Gavriil, the brother of Vasile Lupu (Moldavian ruler), and his wife Liliana, raise at Agapia din Vale, in 1642, the Agapia Monastery.
Agapia, attacked and robed many times, was restored radically during 1858-1862. Is a period in which the great painter Nicolae Grigorescu makes here some masterpieces. The painting of the great maestro, that had not suffer much in the fire from 1903, are an important treasure of the monastery.
The monastery has a museum with an important collection of objects having great historical and artistic value. There old icons from XVI-XVII and XVIII centuries or signed by N. Grigorescu, textures and embroideries, crosses, other religious objects etc. There are also old manuscripts, carpets in Moldavian style made in the monastery workshops.
text from www.csvd.ro/panoblog/360-romania/monasteries-of-moldavia/...
This monastery was built in the 17th century, and is home to monks who sell wine and olive oil, presumably to generate money for the church. The olive oil they sell here is pretty famous, so these guys know what they are doing.
This is a monastery in downtown Arequipa, Peru that was closed off to the public until the 70s. A photographer's dream with varying pastel colors and intermittent views of Andean peaks in the distance.
Capriana Monastery - Moldova
Căpriana monastery is a monastery in Căpriana, Moldova, located 40 km north-west of Chişinău.
One of the oldest monasteries of Moldova, Căpriana is located 40 km (25 mi) to the north-west of the country's capital Chișinău in a picturesque forested area once called Codrii Lăpușnei.
The first significant reference dates from a document issued in 1429 that gave Căpriana the status of royal monastery on behalf of Alexander the Good. In this deed the holy abode was referred to as "mănăstirea de la Vâșnovăț unde este egumen Chiprian" (the monastery of Vâșnovăț where the hegumen is Chiprian) and was given in the possession of Alexander's wife - princess Marena.
The Shio-Mgvime Monastery is a medieval monastic complex in Georgia, near the town of Mtskheta. It is located in a narrow limestone canyon on the northern bank of the river Mtkvari (Kura), some 30 km from Tbilisi, Georgia’s capital.
The Shio-Mgvime complex
According to a historic tradition, the first monastic community at this place was founded by the 6th-century monk Shio, one of the Thirteen Assyrian Fathers who came to Georgia as Christian missionaries. St. Shio is said to have spent his last years as a hermit in a deep cave near Mtskheta subsequently named Shiomghvime ("the Cave of Shio") after him. The earliest building – the Monastery of St. John the Baptist – a cruciform church, very plain and strict in its design, indeed dates to that time, c. 560s-580s, and the caves curved by monks are still visible around the monastery and along the road leading to the complex. The church has an octagonal dome covered with a conic floor and once housed a masterfully ornate stone iconostasis which is now on display at the Art Museum of Georgia in Tbilisi. The monastery was somewhat altered in the 11th and 18th centuries, but has largely retained its original architecture.
The Upper Church (zemo eklesia) named after the Theotokos is a central part of the Shio-Mgvime complex constructed at the verge of the 12th century at the behest of King David IV of Georgia. Initially a domed church, it was subsequently destroyed by a foreign invasion and restored, in 1678, as a basilica. A refectory was built between the 12th and 17th centuries and directly communicates with the Cave of St. Shio. A 12th-century small chapel adorned with medieval murals stands separately on a nearby hill.
An archaeological expedition revealed, in 1937, a 2 km long aqueduct supplying the monastic communities from the nearby village of Skhaltba, and chronicled in 1202 as being constructed by Bishop Anton of Chkondidi, a minister at Queen Thamar’s court.
History
St. Shio, an eponymous founder of the monastery, as depicted on a 19th-century mural.
Shio-Mgvime quickly turned into the largest monastic community in Georgia and by the end of the 6th century it was populated by as many as 2,000 monks. It became a vibrant center of cultural and religious activities and remained under the personal patronage of Catholicoi of Georgia. David IV "the Builder" (1089-1125) made it a royal domain and dictated regulations (typicon) for the monastery (1123). The downfall of the medieval Georgian kingdom and incessant foreign invasions resulted in the decline of the monastery. It saw a relative revival when the Georgian king George VIII (r. 1446-1465) granted Shio-Mgvime and its lands to the noble family of Zevdginidze-Amilakhvari to whom the monastery served as a familial burial ground up to the 1810s.
The monastery was ravaged by the invading Persian troops sent by Shah Abbas I of Safavid in 1614-6. Prince Givi Amilakhvari reconstructed it in 1678, but the 1720s Ottoman occupation of Georgia brought about another devastation and depopulation of Shio-Mgvime. Restored by the Amilakhvari family again in 1733, the monastery was raided and the monks massacred by the Persians less than two years later. Subsequently, Shio-Mgvime was restored and its interior renovated in the 19th century, but it never regained its past importance and role in the spiritual life of Georgia. Under the Bolshevik rule, the monastery was closed, but it is now functional and attracts many pilgrims and tourists.
October 2019
St Barnabas' Monastery and Museum, Famagusta, Cyprus
Saint Barnabas Monastery & Museum
The Monastery of St. Barnabas is at the opposite side of the Salamis-Famagusta road, by the Royal Tombs. You can easily tell it by its two fairly large domes. It was built to commemorate the foremost saint of Cyprus, whose life was so intertwined with the spread of the Christian message in the years immediately following the death of Christ.
Barnabas was a native of the ancient city Salamis, and was a Jew, though his family had been settled for some time in Cyprus. His real name was in fact Joses, or Joseph; Barnabas was the name given to him by the early Christian apostles because he was recognised as `a son of Prophecy', or as Luke puts it `a son of consolation'. There is no contradiction here. Luke is merely emphasising that one of the great historic functions of prophecy was to console the believer and keep him in the faith.
He was reputed to be an inspired teacher of Christianity, but more than that he played a very great role in the development of early Christianity. He was also the man to acknowledge that Paul's conversion to Christianity was absolutely sincere, and above all he recognised the genius of Paul, whom he introduced to the Christian fellowship in Jerusalem. When Barnabas was later sent to Antioch to supervise the work of the early Church there, he had Paul as his assistant. Later still, of course, he undertook his great missionary journey with Paul, visiting among other places, his own country of Cyprus.
Finally, of course, we know certainly that Paul and Barnabas had a strong diffrence of opinion about Barnabas' nephew, John Mark, and the two friends parted company. Paul wrote later that the rift was healed but by that time Barnabas was probably already back in Cyprus.
The monastery which bears Barnabas' name was originally built in the last part of the fifth century, to commemorate the discovery of his body, and the dignity and the seniority it brought to the early Christian Church of Cyprus. Parts of the early building have been preserved in the more recent churh which was built by Archbishop Philotheos in 1756. The money for the purchase of the land on which the monastery was built, is supposed to have been provided by the Byzantine Emperor at the time Barnabas' body was found.
When you look carefully at the church you will notice the traces of the original fifth century building and also places it seems to have been enlarged and changed, probably in the very late mediaeval period. But in the main it is fairly conventional Greek Orthodox architecture of the eighteen century.
On one of the walls, the story of how Barnabas' body was shown to the Archbishop in a dream, is rendered in small pictures. These were done in the present century, but some of the icons and statues are a good deal older.
On another wall, somewhat incongruously, hang wax replicas of limbs in a gesture of gratitude for the ailing limbs which the Apostle Barnabas is supposed to have miraculously cured. Close by, the image of st. Heraklion stares at you from every angle you choose. All these items, ancient and modern have been very well looked after and are shown with great oride by the curator of the church.
The marble columns supporting the domes are conspicuous and rather spectacular. It is impossible to be certain, but these may well have come from Salamis. In one sense, the little rock tomb in which Barnabas is supposed to have been found gives the authentic flavour of the Christian evangelist and martyr much more effectively.
The church of St Barnabas is exactly as it was when its last three monks left it in 1976. The church apparatus ; pulpits, wooden lectern, and pews are still in place. It houses a rich collection of painted and gilt icons mostly dating from the 18th century.
The carved blocks and capital blocks in the garden and cloister courtyard come from Salamis. The black basalt grinding mill come from Enkomi.
The cloister of the monastery have recently been restored and at present serve as the archaeological museum. This section houses an exquisite collection of ancient pottery displayed chronologically, representing the changes in morphology and decoration of pottery in Cyprus from the Neolithic to the Roman times. The rest of the collection covers bronze and marble art objects.
Arankele Monastery’s sylvan environment and ruins of bathing ponds gives the impression it was once a pleasure park. Arankele, on the contrary, was a 6th century cave hermitage up a forested hillside. The densely wooded terrain crowded with huge hardwood trees are interspersed by the openings and clearings created by the on-going process of clearing scattered debris to unearth the ruins and re erecting the fallen ruins.
This small monastery was built by the family Schollaert. It was inherited by the Sisters in 1916 and used to house the less fortunate people of the community.
In 2007 the Sisters left and it never got a new destination.
A rather empty monastery unfortunately. Visited this location in December 2011.
Lhasa - Tibet Autonomous Region - Tibetan Plateau - China - Tibet
Drepung Monastery - Gelukpa
Drepung is the largest of all Tibetan monasteries and is located on the Gambo Utse mountain, five kilometers from the western suburb of Lhasa.
Holy Trinity-Saint Seraphim-Diveyevo Monastery ( is a monastery of nuns (convent) near Sarov (12 km), and near the city of Nizhny Novgorod (185 km), in the Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Russia Guide to Diveyevo . It is situated in a region considered to have immense spiritual significance. Within its immediate vicinity are situated two other cloisters: those of Sarov and Sanaxar.
Sanahin, together with the nearby Haghpat Monastery, were founded around the 10th century and was the centre of learning in the region. A number of detailed and sophisticated manuscripts were produced in Sanahin and had survived in different museums.
Sanahin, Lori Province, northern Armenia.
Saw this painting on the walls of the Tibetian Monastery near Kushalnagar, Coorg.
Tantric Buddhism is heavily influenced by Hinduism. This painting is very similar to the ones depicted Hindu deities.
Capriana Monastery - Moldova
Evangelist Luke
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Evangelists
Căpriana monastery is a monastery in Căpriana, Moldova, located 40 km north-west of Chişinău.
One of the oldest monasteries of Moldova, Căpriana is located 40 km (25 mi) to the north-west of the country's capital Chișinău in a picturesque forested area once called Codrii Lăpușnei.
The first significant reference dates from a document issued in 1429 that gave Căpriana the status of royal monastery on behalf of Alexander the Good. In this deed the holy abode was referred to as "mănăstirea de la Vâșnovăț unde este egumen Chiprian" (the monastery of Vâșnovăț where the hegumen is Chiprian) and was given in the possession of Alexander's wife - princess Marena.
The church was built in 1694. The monastery is situated near the Berca village, above the road, on the left bank of the river Buzau, at the confluence of the river Saratel. Berca Hermitage became Fortress Monastery in the eighteenth century, when it was reinforced with wall. From the old Berka Fortress we can find today only a few walls and cellars.
The Holy Stavropegiac and Patriarchal Preveli Monastery of Saint John the Theologian (Evangelist), known as the Monastery of Preveli is located at the south of Prefecture of Rethymnon and it is the most sacred part of the Holy Diocese of Lambis and Sfakion, in whose the spiritual jurisdiction belongs. The monastery is consisted of two main building complexes, the Lower (Kato) Monastery of Saint John the Baptist and the Rear (Pisso) Monastery of Saint John the Theologian which is in operation today.