View allAll Photos Tagged execution

Execution wall in Auschwitz concentration camp.

The Registan (Uzbek: Регистон, Registon) was the heart of the city of Samarkand of the Timurid Empire, now in Uzbekistan. The name Rēgistan (ریگستان) means "sandy place" or "desert" in Persian.

 

The Registan was a public square, where people gathered to hear royal proclamations, heralded by blasts on enormous copper pipes called dzharchis — and a place of public executions. It is framed by three madrasahs (Islamic schools) of distinctive Persian architecture. The square was regarded as the hub of the Timurid Renaissance.

 

The three madrasahs of the Registan are the Ulugh Beg Madrasah (1417–1420), the Sher-Dor Madrasah (1619–1636), and the Tilya-Kori Madrasah (1646–1660). Madrasah is an Arabic term meaning school.

 

Ulugh Beg Madrasah (1417–1420)

The Ulugh Beg Madrasah, built by Ulugh Beg during the Timurid Empire era of Timur, has an imposing iwan with a lancet-arch pishtaq or portal facing the square. The corners are flanked by high minarets. The mosaic panel over the iwan's entrance arch is decorated by geometrical stylized ornaments. The square courtyard includes a mosque and lecture rooms, and is fringed by the dormitory cells in which students lived. There are deep galleries along the axes. Originally the Ulugh Beg Madrasah was a two-storied building with four domed darskhonas (lecture rooms) at the corners.

 

The Ulugh Beg Madrasah (Persian: مدرسه الغ بیگ) was one of the best clergy universities of the Muslim Orient in the 15th century CE. Abdul-Rahman Jami, the great Persian poet, scholar, mystic, scientist and philosopher studied at the madrasah. Ulugh Beg himself gave lectures there. During Ulugh Beg's government the madrasah was a centre of learning.

 

Sher-Dor Madrasah (1619–1636)

In the 17th century Uzbek ruler of Samarkand, Yalangtoʻsh Bakhodir, ordered the construction of the Sher-Dor (Persian: شیردار) and Tillya-Kori (Persian: طلاکاری) madrasahs. The tiger mosaics with a rising sun on their back are especially interesting for their depiction of living beings and use of Turko-Persian motifs. The name of the madrasah comes from the patterns on the portal of the building as the word "Sher" means tiger.

 

Tilya-Kori Madrasah (1646–1660)

Ten years later the Tilya-Kori (Persian: طلاکاری, meaning "Gilded") Madrasah was built. It was not only a residential college for students, but also played the role of grand masjid (mosque). It has a two-storied main facade and a vast courtyard fringed by dormitory cells, with four galleries along the axes. The mosque building (see picture) is situated in the western section of the courtyard. The main hall of the mosque is abundantly gilded.

 

Mausoleum of Shaybanids

To the east of the Tilya-Kori Madrasah, the mausoleum of Shaybanids (16th century) is located (see picture). The real founder of Shaybanid power was Muhammad Shaybani—grandson of Abu'l-Khayr Khan. In 1500, with the backing of the Chaghataite Khanate, then based in Tashkent, Muhammad Shaybani conquered Samarkand and Bukhara from their last Timurid rulers. The founder of the dynasty then turned on his benefactors and in 1503 took old Tashkent. He captured Khiva in 1506 and in 1507 he swooped down on Merv (Turkmenistan), eastern Persia, and western Afghanistan. The Shaybanids stopped the advance of the Safavids, who in 1502 had defeated the Akkoyunlu (Azerbaijan). Muhammad Shaybani was a leader of nomadic Uzbek tribes. During the ensuing years they substantially settled down in oases of the Central Asia, Caspian shore, Tian Shan valleys, Russian steeps and Indostan . The one of the last and vast Uzbek invasion of the 15th century CE was the large component of today's Uzbek nation ethnogeny.

 

Chorsu trading dome

The trading dome Chorsu (1785) is situated right behind the Sher-Dor. Chorsu located at southeast of the Registan at the intersection of the cross-roads connecting Samarkand, Tashkent, Bukhara, and Shahrisabz. Chorsu is a word of Persian origin meaning "crossing roads," referring to this famous intersection of busy roadways. The building is old. It has a rather rich centuries-old history. At the moment, it is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List along with the rest of the historical part of the glorious city.

 

Chorsu was originally a bazaar constructed in the 15th century but was rebuilt in the 18th century, becoming a hat market. The current building was built during the reign of Amir Shahmurad, in 1785. Today, the bazaar which was previously located at Chorsu is nowadays the Siyob Bazaar near the Bibi-Khanym Mosque.

 

In 2005, ownership of Chorsu was transferred to the Academy of Arts of Uzbekistan. While renovating the building, three meters of dirt were removed from the building revealing the original base construction. Chorsu now serves as an art gallery which offers the work of artists both contemporary and historical. The art of in the Chorsu gallery displays the arts, culture, history, and diversity of the multi-national Uzbek people.

Execution Rocks Lighthouse in Long Island Sound in New York - © 2016 David Oppenheimer - Performance Impressions photography archives - ww.performanceimpressions.com

The gladiator kills his queen!

Van Nelle Factory, Rotterdam The Netherlands – Architects: Brinkman and Van der Vlugt – masterplan 1914 – 1923; design 1923 – 1925; execution 1925 - 1931

The Van Nelle Factory is one of the highlights of the Modern Movement in the Netherlands. The impressive glass building is not only an example of functionalism and rational production, but also improved working conditions for workers in the twentieth century. The restored building is now one of the most important monuments of Rotterdam

The Firm Van Nelle was selling coffee, tea, tobacco and snuff in Rotterdam since 1782. The entirely new complex consists of the actual factory building, an office building, a warehouse, expedition and storage depots along the canal, a boiler house and several workshops. A cafeteria and sports fields were also to be found in the area. The factory building consists of three elongated in height sloping parts separated by stairwells. Tobacco has eight, coffee five and tea factory three floors. The staircases house the washing and changing facilities, toilets and lifts, separated for men and women. This allowed for continues factory floors and easily adjustable layouts. By using a concrete frame the non-load bearing facades could be made almost entirely of glass with only thin steel frames. Light and air could penetrate deep into the building. The expedition and storage strip along the water is connected to the main building by overhead conveyor bridges. Another sky bridge connects the plant to the office at the entrance of the complex. The office consists of a strip with two layers of offices and a large open space with glass walls and glass meeting rooms. The office follows the curve in the road. During construction, a tea room on the roof of the tobacco factory was added.

In 1942, low-rise warehouses designed by Brinkman and Van den Broek were realized. In 1974 at the back of the building, a new distribution centre was built. In 1951 other products such as pudding and chewing gum made their entrance. After a takeover by the American Standard Brands in 1989, Van Nelle competitor Sara Lee / Douwe Egberts, sold the complex in 1995, so it could finally get the status of national monument. Using the name Van Nelle Design Factory, the complex started a new life. The factory complex was restored by Wessel de Jonge and Claessens Erdmann. The transparency of the factory floor was maintained as much as possible by the new climate walls on the inside. The new inner facades are made of aluminium and therefore clearly identifiable as new elements. On the floors office spaces of various sizes have been realized for the creative sector. The ground floor is used for exhibitions and conferences. The adjacent buildings have been restored and are used by a number of architectural firms.

 

Il nuovo logo di Proficy Batch Execution

The Lord Marshal considers his next execution...

Many of those incarcerated within the Tower of London over the centuries would be executed, the majority in public spectacles held outside the Tower’s walls, on nearby Tower Hill.

 

However, as a privilege of rank, two Queens consort and five other nobles were executed in private within the Tower itself: William, Lord Hastings in 1483; Anne Boleyn in 1536; Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury in 1541; Catherine Howard and her lady-in-waiting Jane, Viscountess Rochford, in 1542; Lady Jane Grey in 1554; and Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex in 1601.

 

Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of the many ghosts reputed to haunt the Tower of London are of individuals who were “untopped” here, on Tower Green.

 

In 2006 the sculpture of a glass pillow, indented as if an invisible head rests upon it, was placed on the site in commemoration.

 

For further details, see my Haunted London (The History Press, 2007).

 

*best viewed large.

An exotic invasive from Europe called a balsam woolly adelgid has destroyed 95% of the Fraser firs in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. The sadness in the sight of this ghost forest brought these lyrics to mind....

 

"Oh god come quickly, the execution of all things.

Let's start with the bears and the air and mountains, rivers, and streams.

Then we'll murder what matters to you and move on to your neighbors and kids.

Crush all hopes of happiness with disease cause of what you did.

 

And lastly, you're all alone with nothing left but sleep.

But sleep never comes to you, it's just the guilt and forever wakefulness of

the weak.

It's just you and me.

The execution of all things."- Rilo Kiley

The automated solutions are high in demand today. When you are going to adopt such solutions, it is better to go with warehouse execution software and warehouse robots to drive better efficiency, productivity, and safety in the centers.

 

@ CCM John Lennon - Limoges - Déc.2012

Illustration to Princess Anna [fiction story by I. Krasnogorskaya/ Paper, Indian ink, brush, steel pen/ 11x17,5 cm]

The door showing this tiny execution slowly swings shut.

 

Photo taken at the Musee Mechanique Antique Coin Operated Arcade on Pier 45 in San Francisco,

on 1 July 2011.

Executioner's point of view

Elfia / Elf Fantasy Fair, kasteeltuinen Arcen 2012

[Sign:] The infamous "Hanging Judge Jeffries" was a local and a regular patron here.

 

It is said that he would enjoy his lunch on this balcony whilst watching the hangings at the place known as Execution Dock.

 

It was at Execution Dock that the famous pirate Captain Kidd met his end in 1701.

 

The noose below this point reminds us of this gruesome man who later died in the Tower of London.

Please do not use this image for anything without my permission

35 Brewer St. Soho London W1

Krisiun | Aniversário de São Bernardo | Parque da Juventude

Cobertura Rock Express

 

Foto: Pri Secco Fotografia

www.facebook.com/PriSeccoFoto

 

© Todos os direitos reservados / © All rights reserved

Kurdish political prisoners Farzad Kamangar, Ali Haydarian, Farhad Vakili, Shirin Alam Hooli and Mehdi Eslamian were executed by Iranian Islamic regime on May 9th 2010.

 

Kurdish people and Iranian opposition groups demonstrated to condemn execution of political prisoners.

 

The Kurds and Iranians living in Finland arranged several demonstrations as well.

 

These photos were taken on demonstration held on May 15th 2010.

Execution Dock was near the shoreline at Wapping and was used for over 400 years to execute pirates, smugglers and mutineers. Captain William Kidd is probably the most famous pirate to meet his death there in 1701. His corpse was put into a gibbet, a metal framed cage, and was left hanging at Tilbury Docks for 3 years. With the last execution in 1830, the exact location of Execution Dock is not known today but it’s claimed to be in the area where two pubs stand, the Prospect of Whitby and the Town of Ramsgate with the latter being the most likely. Round the back of the Prospect of Whitby there is a gallows with a noose hanging from it commemorating the location of Execution Dock.

 

Execution Dock was near the shoreline at Wapping and was used for over 400 years to execute pirates, smugglers and mutineers. Captain William Kidd is probably the most famous pirate to meet his death there in 1701. His corpse was put into a gibbet, a metal framed cage, and was left hanging at Tilbury Docks for 3 years. With the last execution in 1830, the exact location of Execution Dock is not known today but it’s claimed to be in the area where two pubs stand, the Prospect of Whitby and the Town of Ramsgate with the latter being the most likely. Round the back of the Prospect of Whitby there is a gallows with a noose hanging from it commemorating the location of Execution Dock.

 

In light of the delay: David Motley, the city's PR-rep, made some last-second rescues before the excavator arrived. Many artifacts donated to the Historical Society include signage, hangars, garmet bags, copper panels from the turret, and Stacey Adams shoes that were still on the shelves.

The execution room at Seodaemun Prison. The preferred method of execution by the Japanese during the occupation: hanging.

 

Seodaemun Prison was built during the Japanese occupation (1910-1945) to keep Korean "dissidents" -- Koreans who rather valued national independence -- in line. The conditions were pretty barbarous, to say the least, and included torture along with other inhumane treatment.

 

Seoul, South Korea.

0327-562-21

 

Summers & Koontz Executions

 

On 22 May 1865, after the Civil War ended. Capt. George W. Summers, Sgt. I. Newton Koontz, and two other armed veterans of Co. D, 7th Virginia Cavalry, robbed six Federal

cavalrymen of their horses near Woodstock. The horses were returned the next day to the 192d Ohio Volunteer Infantry at Rude’s Hill. Despite assurances that all was forgiven, Lt. Col. Cyrus Hussy, temporarily commanding the 192nd, later ordered the men arrested. The others escaped, but Summers and Koontz were shot without trial here on 27 June. Thirty years later, Capt. Thomas J. Adams and friends erected the nearby monument to commemorate their deaths.

Concept, Design, Execution.

1 2 ••• 40 41 43 45 46 ••• 79 80