View allAll Photos Tagged dwelling

All rights reserved ©

View of two people standing across the street from the Governor's Mansion in Raleigh,

North Carolina.

 

Digital Collection:

North Carolina Postcards

 

Publisher:

Paul C. Koeber Co., New York, N.Y.;

 

Location:

Raleigh (N.C.); Wake County (N.C.);

 

Collection in Repository

Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077); collection guide available

online at www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/pcoll/77barbour/77barbour.html

 

Usage Statement

The Lake Dwellings of the Stone and Bronze Age (4.000 to 850 BC) are reawakening at Lake Constance (Bodensee) in Unteruhldingen, Germany.

i had so much fun making this cake. the tree stump is made of an 8 and 12" carved. the big mushroom is rice crispie treats.

Cherryville School

Cherryville, MO

 

This is a sprawling complex of interconnected buildings of several vintages; the oldest part is completely hollowed out and roofless, while newer and more-intact segments appear to have housed a perpetual rummage sale and a dwelling.

 

See photos from nine years earlier:

michaelminn.net/america/structures/cherryville_school/

 

Real photo view of a large home showing the landscaping, the porch, and balconies.

Handwritten notation on front of card reads, "The Tyson Home -"

 

Digital Collection:

North Carolina Postcards

 

Creator:

Eddy, E. C. (Ellsworth Curtis), 1882-1969.;

 

Date:

1917

 

Location:

Carthage (N.C.); Moore County (N.C.);

 

Collection in Repository

Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077); collection guide available

online at www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/pcoll/77barbour/77barbour.html

 

Usage Statement

These particular dwellings are right beneath the Sun Temple. View from Sun Point View at Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado.

Kannapolis (NC) Fire Department Engine 41 on the scene of a dwelling fire.

Lustron houses were a line of prefabricated homes made almost entirely of steel, produced by the Lustron Corporation from 1948 to 1950.

 

The exterior walls, roof and interior were made of porcelain enameled steel panels. Parts for the kit style houses were produced by assembly line at a factory in Columbus, Ohio and shipped by truck to the buyer's site (around 2,500 homes were erected in 36 states).

 

Construction took two weeks and the houses cost from $7,000 to $10,000. Around 20,000 orders were received, but most were never delivered before the company went bankrupt in 1950.

 

Four models were available, including the "Westchester Deluxe" seen here (the deluxe model can be identified by the presence of a bay window in the living room area). This well preserved example located in Minnesota City, MN appears original on the outside with a couple of exceptions: the open porch area around the front door has been enclosed with windows and stonework, and the original tripartite windows have been replaced with a more modern single pane design.

 

10/12/14

 

Definitely worth a google image search. Or better yet, a passport and plane ticket. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia

The rear of Sudley House,Mossley Hill

Cliff Dwellings at Bandelier, NM

 

Title: [Residence]

Creator: Unknown

Date: ca. 1910s

Part of: Collection of photographs of Mexico

Place: Mexico

Description: Image of a home and thatched awning, surrounded by a barbed wire fence.

Physical Description: 1 photographic print: gelatin silver; 20 x 27 cm

File: ag1998_1231_03_08_r_casa_opt.jpg

Rights: DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University

For more information, see: digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/mex/id/3524

View the Mexico: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints: sites.smu.edu/cdm/cul/mex/

 

34750 Clayburn Road, Abbotsford, BC.

 

The residence located at 34750 Clayburn Road (built before 1911). Some of the

special features of this building are:

- wood frame construction;

- elongated double-hung wood windows; and

- front porch.

It should be noted this dwelling was renovated between 1991 and 1994.

 

More about historic Clayburn Village:

 

Clayburn Village was the first company town to be established in British Columbia. The settlement dates from 1905, when the Vancouver Fireclay Company - later to become the Clayburn Company - built a brick-making plant just to the west of Sumas Mountain, convenient to deposits of high-grade fireclay in the Straiton area on the southwest slopes of the mountain. A small townsite was laid out to the south of the brick plant where the company built homes for its managers and workers. The brick-faced houses of Clayburn Village, built between 1906 and 1909, are of special historical and architectural importance for a number of reasons:

 

• They are believed to have been designed by the renowned British Columbia architect, Samuel Maclure;

• Mr. Maclure’s conception of the physical form of the village and the design of the houses and their visual relationship to Sumas Mountain are a noted example of the City Beautiful Movement that became important in North America following the World Columbian Exposition held in Chicago in 1893;

• They represent one of the largest concentrations of brick buildings of the first decade of the twentieth century in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley;

• As a group, they reflect a unity of design in the use of brickwork, shingles, woodwork, and windows; and

• The exterior use of brick in their foundations and first-storey walls was unique in British Columbia.

 

There are other buildings in the village that are of historical importance. The village’s wooden school house was built in 1908 on the west side of Wright Street. A Presbyterian church was constructed in 1912 opposite the school house with bricks donated by the Clayburn Company. These buildings were officially designated heritage structures by the former District of Matsqui in 1978. They are now owned by the Clayburn Village Community Society and are used for community activities and events. In 1912, a two-storey general store was opened on the corner of Wright Street and Clayburn Road and soon became the village’s social focal point. In recent years, the store has been renovated and restocked, as much as possible to represent the commerce and lifestyle of the early decades of the twentieth century. It serves as a convenient meeting place for village residents and attracts visitors from all over the Province. The general store is also used as a convenient starting point for those who wish to tour the village and enjoy its atmosphere, stroll its streets, and view its buildings of architectural note.

 

Finally, the Clayburn Brick Plant site is important to both Clayburn Village and British Columbia. By 1909 the plant was the largest brick producer in the Province, and the claim was made that it was the largest in Canada. Such was the originality and quality of Clayburn bricks - in particular, distinctively coloured specialty bricks that architects ordered for some of the most distinguished buildings in British Columbia, including the World Building (1911), St. Paul’s Hospital (1912), the second Hotel Vancouver (1913, demolished in 1948), and the Marine Building (1929-30) all of Vancouver, and the Empress Hotel (1904-08) and Armouries (1914) of Victoria. The plant lay unused after 1930 when production operations were merged with the brick plant in Kilgard. By 1940, most of the brick plant buildings had disappeared. In 1993, the District of Matsqui purchased this property with a view towards the eventual excavation of the old kilns and brick plant site, and establishing an interpretative centre on it.

 

City of Abbotsford

Bandelier National Monument

The foghorn, which was steam and then diesel.

 

Buildings at the light station included the tower and dwelling, fog signal building, boat house, barn, three oil houses, two privy's and a Diaphone fog signal. The fog signal building fell into the lake due to erosion in 1943.

 

The site is the subject of constant erosion, so that keeping the foundation in place and the water away from undermining it has been a recurrent and expensive battle.

 

Listed as Big Sable Point Light Station in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 as reference #83004296. It is also on the state inventory list.

Philadelphia Fire Department working on a dwelling fire on 77th Avenue.

Towering three stories and sporting stone walls 18 inches thick, the great house at Pedro Point dwarfed the surrounding single-level "wattle-and-daub" dwellings that were its neighbors in 1780. It's massive size was accentuated by sweeping verandahs, large shuttered windows, and slate imported from England to fashion the roof and floors.

 

The elaborate construction made this great house the Caymanian equivalent of a European castle, and the term Pedro "Castle" is used by the local residents to this day.

 

But in the late 18th century, the population of the Cayman Islands was approximately 500 people and Grand Cayman was little more than an undeveloped fishing village. With the use of slave labor, it was an Englishman named William Eden who built the expansive Great House and farmed the adjoining land as a plantation.

 

Since its construction more than two centuries ago, Pedro St. James has been put to a variety of uses, including a courthouse, jail, Government Assembly building, and restaurant. Surviving hurricanes, fires, vandalism, and rumors of being jinxed, it stands today, in its restored state, as a dynamic piece of Caymanian heritage.

 

Perhaps best known as the "Birthplace of Democracy in the Cayman Islands", Pedro St. James was the venue for a meeting on December 5th 1831, where the decision was made to form the first elected parliament. Later, on May 3rd 1835, Robert Thompson, sent from the Governor of Jamaica, held court at Pedro St. James to issue the proclamation ending slavery in the Brittish Empire.

 

Over the ensuing years, the building has been buffeted by hurricanes, struck by lightning, and engulfed by fire. The "Castle" was abandoned by the Eden family in 1877 after lightening struck the main building killing the daughter of the house, Mary Jane. Unused, it ultimately fell into decay, and by 1910 it was reported that only the original stone walls remained. The building was renovated by the Hurlston family in 1914, but was then abandoned again in 1920.

 

In 1959, a portion of the property was purchased by Thomas Hubbell who renovated the "Castle" and lived there until 1963. It was operated as a restaurant and hotel from 1967 until it fell victim to a severe fire in 1970. It was repaired and again operated as a restaurant until the late 1980's when it was damaged by a hurricane and another fire. In 1989, the restaurant operation went bankrupt and the "Castle" again sat vacant.

 

Finally, in 1991, the property was purchased by the Cayman Islands Government for development as an historic site, and the Canadian firm of Commonwealth Historic Resource Management Limited was retained to develop a restoration and interpretation plan for the site. The work concluded in 1996 at a cost of approximately $8 million and it produced the historic site that exists today.

  

View of Thomas Wolfe Memorial, showing the front porch and sidewalk.

 

Digital Collection:

North Carolina Postcards

 

Creator:

Morton, Hugh M.

 

Publisher:

Hugh Morton;

 

Date:

1940; 1941; 1942; 1943; 1944; 1945; 1946; 1947; 1948; 1949; 1950; 1951; 1952; 1953;

1954; 1955; 1956; 1957; 1958; 1959; 1960

 

Location:

Asheville (N.C.); Buncombe County (N.C.);

 

Collection in Repository

Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077); collection guide available

online at www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/pcoll/77barbour/77barbour.html

 

Usage Statement

View of a several people standing in front of a house with a large porch with two

large pots near a fire pit. The card also reads, "Copyright 1914 by E.C. Eddy, Southern

Pines, N.C.," and "Hand-colored."

 

Digital Collection:

North Carolina Postcards

 

Publisher:

E. C. Eddy, Southern Pines, N.C.;

 

Date:

1914

 

Location:

Southern Pines (N.C.); Moore County (N.C.);

 

Collection in Repository

Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077); collection guide available

online at www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/pcoll/77barbour/77barbour.html

 

Usage Statement

This abandoned desert dwelling was found near Marfa, Texas in the Big Bend Ranch State Park. Its in a secluded area surrounded by immense boulders. Would have taken a hardy soul to live here.

Being that it still stands is testament to the persons industriousness and skill, to withstand nature as long as it has. Today sunlight streams through the open window spaces and roof

Miami est. 1896, pop. 2.6MM • Coral Gables est. 1925, pop. 50K

 

• aka Coral Gables Merrick House, Merrick Manor • home of the Reverend Solomon Greasley Merrick (1858-1911), Althea Corilla Fink Merrick (1859-1937) & their 6 children • previously the 160-acre Gregory homestead, acquired in 1898 by William H. & Sarah Gregory under the Homestead Act of 1862, after fulfilling the Act's requirements of building a dwelling, cultivating the land & living on the land for 5 yrs.

 

• in 1899 the Merricks, then living in Duxbury, MA, purchased the "backwoods Miami" property sight unseen for $1,100 • later that year, Solomon & eldest son George E. Merrick (1886-1942) removed to Miami to prepare the homestead

 

• the Merrick family arrived in Miami, 1900 [photo] • planted okra, beans, eggplants & other fruits & vegetables, which George sold from a mule-cart • Solomon became minister of Union Chapel in Coconut Grove, 1903

 

• in 1906, Althea designed a coral rock expansion for the dwelling • construction began in 1907, using oolitic limestone from a nearby quarry, which later became the Venetian Pool • the Merrick House was completed in 1910 • the family named it Coral Gables • remnants of the original Gregory cottage are visible at the rear of the house

 

• after Solomon's death in 1911, George managed the groves • by 1913, Coral Gables Plantation was the largest agricultural enterprise in S. FL • George completed law school & went into real estate, his long term goal to eventually transform the plantation into a landmark subdivision

 

• Merrick's vision of Coral Gables as a "Riviera of the Tropics" was influenced by the City Beautiful Movement • ~$100MM spent on development • one of the 1st planned communities in US • the unifying theme was "castles in Spain made real," expressed in "Mediterranean Revival" architecture, a term said to have been coined by Merrick cousin, architect H. George Fink (1891-1975) • the French/Italian inspired architecture was, “a combination of what seemed best in each, with an added touch of gaiety to suit the Florida mood.” -George Merrick

 

• Merrick's team: architects, landscape planner, artistic advisor, real estate officer, engineers • Supervisor of Color Phineas Paist (1873-1937) became supervising architect, responsible for ensuring aethetic consistency through codes, established Board of Architects Review Panel that still functions • Paist bioPhineas Paist & the Architecture of Coral Gables (pdf)

 

• the development opened with strong sales, Merrick invested profits in expansion, founded U. of Miami • 1926 Florida Land Bust broke Merrick, removed from Coral Gables commission, moved to Matacumbe Key, to run wife's resort • returned to Gables to be county postmaster 2 yrs. before death

 

• Althea & her daughter Ethel remained in the house until 1935, when it became Merrick Manor, a boarding house which Ethel ran until her death in 1961 • acquired by the City of Coral Gables,1976 • restored to its 1925 appearance • now open to the public, exhibiting Merrick family art, books, photographs, furniture etc. —Merrick House Brochure

 

• National Register # 73000573, 1973

Image taken at Mesa Verde National Park

for the generations of ghosts of olde Philadelphians

Can Tho, Mekong Delta, Vietnam

 

(pity that Flickr displays the picture a bit too "exposed" ...)

Best viewed on black background. Click zoom tool to enlarge.

 

From my old film vault…

 

This image was originally shot on 35mm transparency film with a Nikon FG camera (as in old). It was recently scanned and digitally processed. Taken at the historic Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico, also known as Sky City. Acoma is a Native American pueblo built on top of a 367-foot sandstone mesa. Settled around 1100 AD, it is one of the oldest continuously inhabited communities in the United States.

 

The pueblo is located 60 miles west of Albuquerque on Interstate 40 and 12 miles south on Indian Route 23. It is open to the public only by guided tour. Photography of the pueblo and surrounding lands is restricted.

 

*************************************************************************************************************

© Copyright notice:

© Renee M. Besta, All Rights Reserved

All my photographs are protected under copyright laws. No photograph shall be copied, saved, reproduced, republished, downloaded, displayed, modified, transmitted, licensed, transferred, sold or distributed or used in any way by any means, without prior written permission from me. No exceptions. This also means that attempting to skirt forbidden downloading of my images by taking screenshots is not allowed.

*************************************************************************************************************

Three views of buildings in the town of Dunn, including a bank storefront, a large

home, and a school with a bell tower.

 

Digital Collection:

North Carolina Postcards

 

Date:

1908

 

Location:

Dunn (N.C.); Harnett County (N.C.);

 

Collection in Repository

Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077); collection guide available

online at www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/pcoll/77barbour/77barbour.html

 

Usage Statement

Olango, San Fernando, Sibuyan Island

Title: Panorama de Guadalajara.

 

Creator: J. Ibarra

 

Date: ca. 1864-1879

 

Part Of: Stereographs of Mexico

 

Place: Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico

 

Physical Description: 1 photographic print: albumen, on stereograph card mount; 9 x 18 cm

 

File: ag2000_1369_096_panorama_c.jpg

 

Rights: Please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University when using this file. A high-resolution version of this file may be obtained for a fee. For details see the sites.smu.edu/cul/degolyer/research/permissions/ web page. For other information, contact degolyer@smu.edu.

 

For more information and to view in high resolution, see: digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/mex/id/2945

 

View the Mexico: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints Collection

 

Upper Orwell Street 22-28 Rears of properties from junction with Upper Barclay St, Union Street in its very short length is visible with possibly the last remaining dwelling of the potteries area in the very centre of the image.

Taken from Cox Lane car park 1970s?

Pueblo cliff dwelling - Spruce Tree House at Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado. Constructed between 1211 and 1278 AD by the ancestors of the Pueblo people. There are 130 rooms and perhaps 60-80 people once lived here. This is the third largest of the dwellings in the Park. The book, House of Rain by Craig Childs, is a fascinating read about the civilizations that lived in the southwest, including at Mesa Verde.

 

Browsing through the archives.

Like the paint and trim scheme on this house.

1 2 ••• 11 12 14 16 17 ••• 79 80