View allAll Photos Tagged coldwar
NON-NUCLEAR COMPONENT STORES BUILDING 61 –
Building 61 (Drg No. 1245/53) is a Non-Nuclear Component Stores with attached concrete gantry on four columns projecting over the road to the front (west). Reasons for Designation Building 61 is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
▪︎RARITY – A rare building on a unique site designed to accommodate and service Britain's first nuclear weapon, the ''Blue Danube''. It is the only such surviving facility in the country.
▪︎HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION – The building has outstanding national and international interest for its historical associations with the development of the earliest British nuclear weapons technology during the Cold War, which helped shape Britain's post-war history.
▪︎GROUP VALUE – The building has strong group value with other buildings at RAF Barnham, and was part of the national deployment of nuclear weapons.
▪︎INTACTNESS – Building 61 is largely intact.
Non-nuclear component stores buildings 60 and 61, held the high explosive part of the bomb and its outer casing. The central section of the casing held the high explosive lenses assembled into a large ball with forward sections containing electronics and radars. Owing to the weight and size of ''Blue Danube'', the gantry at the entrance was required to manoeuvre the bomb onto a trolley for storage. Building 61 is currently used as small work units and has blockwork partitioning which is reversible.
▪︎MATERIALS – A reinforced concrete frame and blockwork walls, and a flat concrete roof. ▪︎PLAN – Rectangular, aligned approximately east-west.
▪︎EXTERIOR – Building 61 is surrounded by substantial earth bunds. It has a central recessed entrance flanked by two projecting two storey, flat roofed plant and switch rooms which originally contained plant to maintain a stable environment. The original steel doors remain. The rear elevation has a central door and there are crittall windows to the rear and sides.
▪︎INTERIOR – Originally sub-divided internally into compartments of 11ft x 3ft bays allowing the storage of up to 66 bombs, Building 61 has been partitioned internally to create smaller work units.
Although the site was in use for storage of Mustard Gas and explosives during World War II, it was not until after the end of hostilities that the depot was constructed in its current form. In the early 1950's, the Air Ministry had a continuing need for high explosive bombs and storage facilities for them and was looking ahead to a ''future war in which atomic and thermo-nuclear weapons would be used by both sides''. It is within this historic context that the Special Storage Unit at RAF Barnham was constructed following the issuing of ''Blue Danube'', Britain's first nuclear bomb, to the RAF in November 1953.
The bombs were held in clutches in V-bomber airfields such as RAF Scampton and RAF Wittering and the purpose of the store at RAF Barnham, and the almost identical site at RAF Faldingwoth in Lincolnshire, was to provide maintenance and refurbishment to support the airfields and hold spare warheads. The Air Ministry plan for the Store is dated May 1953, although planning for the facility almost certainly had started before this, and it was fully operational by July 1954. In the first phase of works, the fences, earthworks, fissile core storage hutches, inspection buildings and gantries were built by August 1955.
The small arms and pyrotechnics store, barrack accommodation, gymnasium, telephone exchange, meat preparation store and dog compound were erected shortly after to strengthen security. By mid 1955 the double fence was in place, later augmented by the current observation towers erected in early 1959 replacing smaller structures. The Special Storage Unit remained the main holding place for the Mk. 1 Atomic Bomb, under control of Bomber Command until November 1956 when an independent Unit (95 Commanding Maintenance Unit) was formed. During the operational life of the site, second and third generation British nuclear weapons such as ''Red Beard'' and ''Yellow Sun'' were introduced on the site.
By 1962, the site was in decline and the maintenance unit ceased to exist on 31st July 1963. The closure of the station is probably linked to the operational deployment of ''Blue Steel'' from late 1962. The site was sold to the current owners in 1966 and let out for light industrial use. Some of the buildings have been altered and most significantly, one of the non-nuclear stores burnt down in the 1980’s, but there has been an on-going maintenance and repair programme agreed with English Heritage resulting in the preservation of the site.
NON-NUCLEAR COMPONENT STORES BUILDING 61 –
Building 61 (Drg No. 1245/53) is a Non-Nuclear Component Stores with attached concrete gantry on four columns projecting over the road to the front (west). Reasons for Designation Building 61 is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
▪︎RARITY – A rare building on a unique site designed to accommodate and service Britain's first nuclear weapon, the ''Blue Danube''. It is the only such surviving facility in the country.
▪︎HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION – The building has outstanding national and international interest for its historical associations with the development of the earliest British nuclear weapons technology during the Cold War, which helped shape Britain's post-war history.
▪︎GROUP VALUE – The building has strong group value with other buildings at RAF Barnham, and was part of the national deployment of nuclear weapons.
▪︎INTACTNESS – Building 61 is largely intact.
Non-nuclear component stores buildings 60 and 61, held the high explosive part of the bomb and its outer casing. The central section of the casing held the high explosive lenses assembled into a large ball with forward sections containing electronics and radars. Owing to the weight and size of ''Blue Danube'', the gantry at the entrance was required to manoeuvre the bomb onto a trolley for storage. Building 61 is currently used as small work units and has blockwork partitioning which is reversible.
▪︎MATERIALS – A reinforced concrete frame and blockwork walls, and a flat concrete roof. ▪︎PLAN – Rectangular, aligned approximately east-west.
▪︎EXTERIOR – Building 61 is surrounded by substantial earth bunds. It has a central recessed entrance flanked by two projecting two storey, flat roofed plant and switch rooms which originally contained plant to maintain a stable environment. The original steel doors remain. The rear elevation has a central door and there are crittall windows to the rear and sides.
▪︎INTERIOR – Originally sub-divided internally into compartments of 11ft x 3ft bays allowing the storage of up to 66 bombs, Building 61 has been partitioned internally to create smaller work units.
Although the site was in use for storage of Mustard Gas and explosives during World War II, it was not until after the end of hostilities that the depot was constructed in its current form. In the early 1950's, the Air Ministry had a continuing need for high explosive bombs and storage facilities for them and was looking ahead to a ''future war in which atomic and thermo-nuclear weapons would be used by both sides''. It is within this historic context that the Special Storage Unit at RAF Barnham was constructed following the issuing of ''Blue Danube'', Britain's first nuclear bomb, to the RAF in November 1953.
The bombs were held in clutches in V-bomber airfields such as RAF Scampton and RAF Wittering and the purpose of the store at RAF Barnham, and the almost identical site at RAF Faldingwoth in Lincolnshire, was to provide maintenance and refurbishment to support the airfields and hold spare warheads. The Air Ministry plan for the Store is dated May 1953, although planning for the facility almost certainly had started before this, and it was fully operational by July 1954. In the first phase of works, the fences, earthworks, fissile core storage hutches, inspection buildings and gantries were built by August 1955.
The small arms and pyrotechnics store, barrack accommodation, gymnasium, telephone exchange, meat preparation store and dog compound were erected shortly after to strengthen security. By mid 1955 the double fence was in place, later augmented by the current observation towers erected in early 1959 replacing smaller structures. The Special Storage Unit remained the main holding place for the Mk. 1 Atomic Bomb, under control of Bomber Command until November 1956 when an independent Unit (95 Commanding Maintenance Unit) was formed. During the operational life of the site, second and third generation British nuclear weapons such as ''Red Beard'' and ''Yellow Sun'' were introduced on the site.
By 1962, the site was in decline and the maintenance unit ceased to exist on 31st July 1963. The closure of the station is probably linked to the operational deployment of ''Blue Steel'' from late 1962. The site was sold to the current owners in 1966 and let out for light industrial use. Some of the buildings have been altered and most significantly, one of the non-nuclear stores burnt down in the 1980’s, but there has been an on-going maintenance and repair programme agreed with English Heritage resulting in the preservation of the site.
Zuprosten beim Jahreswechsel 1968/1969, das war ein Spitzenerlebnis. Essen und Krimsekt - alles kostenlos!
Nun doch kurze Erklärung: Vorne zwei CSSR-Vorzeige-Jugendliche ("besonders gut in den MINT-Fächern" gewesen), hinten DJ Michael aus dem Club Okay Bottrop.
Unser Reisebus mit Kennzeichen "E". Ich glaube Andrea-Beate drückt sich die Nase platt, bin mir aber nicht sicher, ob sie es tatsächlich ist. Nein, sie ist es nicht, sagte sie heute.
United States Air Force Museum, Dayton (2005)
United States - East-Coast Tour 2005
Helio U-10D Courier (L-28), N42022 as '66-14374'.
Former USAF 66-14360
Photo selection
The United States Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is one
of the largest Aviation Musems of the World.
The collection was displayed in 3 museum buildings, an outside display in front of the entrance and a seperate building on the airbase.
Visiting the restoration area was on special appointment.
(I never made it sofar)
The photos are equally tagged to the display area's.
In front of the museum are the outside displays and the Experimental and Presidental aircraft are in the remote hangar.
The main museum is divided in various periodes of aviation.
1st building World-War I and World-War II
2nd building Korean War and South-East Asia
3rd building Coldwar Period and Recent Aircraft
In 2016 a fourth building opened containing most aircraft that were previously on display at the airbase.
United States Air Force Museum, Dayton (2005)
United States - East-Coast Tour 2005
Northrop YF-5A Freedom Fighter, 59-4989 as USAF '13332'
Photo selection
The United States Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is one
of the largest Aviation Musems of the World.
The collection was displayed in 3 museum buildings, an outside display in front of the entrance and a seperate building on the airbase.
Visiting the restoration area was on special appointment.
(I never made it sofar)
The photos are equally tagged to the display area's.
In front of the museum are the outside displays and the Experimental and Presidental aircraft are in the remote hangar.
The main museum is divided in various periodes of aviation.
1st building World-War I and World-War II
2nd building Korean War and South-East Asia
3rd building Coldwar Period and Recent Aircraft
In 2016 a fourth building opened containing most aircraft that were previously on display at the airbase.
Tonkas & Jags at Night, photoshoot with Timeline events at RAF Cosford January 16th 2017. Was great to see the aircraft in such a different light, and was made to feel very welcome by the staff of RAF Cosford and a big thank you to the catering staff for fantastic grub.
The Jaguars and Tornados are now in retirement and will no longer be run at Cosford. A shame, but would be nice to see them take to air again at some stage.
United States Air Force Museum, Dayton (2005)
United States - East-Coast Tour 2005
Lockheed F-94C Starfire, 50-0980 as USAF '01054 \FA-054'
Photo selection
The United States Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is one
of the largest Aviation Musems of the World.
The collection was displayed in 3 museum buildings, an outside display in front of the entrance and a seperate building on the airbase.
Visiting the restoration area was on special appointment.
(I never made it sofar)
The photos are equally tagged to the display area's.
In front of the museum are the outside displays and the Experimental and Presidental aircraft are in the remote hangar.
The main museum is divided in various periodes of aviation.
1st building World-War I and World-War II
2nd building Korean War and South-East Asia
3rd building Coldwar Period and Recent Aircraft
In 2016 a fourth building opened containing most aircraft that were previously on display at the airbase.
The Spadeadam Rocket Establishment, opened in the late 1950s as a test area for the British Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM).
The first rocket firing took place in August 1959, but by this time the Fixed Site Ballistic Missile (FSBM) was being phased out. The British program was cancelled in 1958 after the deployment of American THOR missile sites in eastern England.
United States Air Force Museum, Dayton (2005)
United States - East-Coast Tour 2005
North American T-28B Trojan, Bu140048 as South Vietnam AF '38365'
Photo selection
North American - T-28 Trojan and Fennec
The United States Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is one
of the largest Aviation Musems of the World.
The collection was displayed in 3 museum buildings, an outside display in front of the entrance and a seperate building on the airbase.
Visiting the restoration area was on special appointment.
(I never made it sofar)
The photos are equally tagged to the display area's.
In front of the museum are the outside displays and the Experimental and Presidental aircraft are in the remote hangar.
The main museum is divided in various periodes of aviation.
1st building World-War I and World-War II
2nd building Korean War and South-East Asia
3rd building Coldwar Period and Recent Aircraft
In 2016 a fourth building opened containing most aircraft that were previously on display at the airbase.
This ROC post was in use from March 1962 until September 1991. For some time it was overgrown but the site has since been cleared and kept free of vegetation. The fence surrounding the compound has been removed and only one concrete post is still standing (beside the former entrance gate).
The Royal Observer Corps was a uniformed volunteer organisation, which has enjoyed a long association with the Royal Air Force. The motto of the Royal Observer Corps is ''Forewarned is Forearmed'' and it would appear that the earliest system for the detection and reporting of aircraft was started late in 1914. Police constables were instructed to telephone reports of any aircraft including Zeppelins, seen or heard within 60 miles of London to the Admiralty, who were in charge of the defences at that time. In 1915, it was decided to extend the area covered by this arrangement, to East Anglia, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
In September 1941, due to the increased call-up of manpower, women were admitted to the Corps. In addition to reporting all aircraft flying over land, or the sea belt adjoining the coastline, ROC personnel on duty by then also assisted aircraft that were lost or in distress. On Saturday 10 May 1941, ROC posts in the Durham, Galashiels and Glasgow Groups were responsible for tracking and reporting what transpired to be the arrival of Rudolph Hess.
High quality Navy binoculars were issued and the observation posts were at first nothing more than a wooden shed located next to a telegraph pole, which connected them to the local telephone exchange. These were eventually replaced by more substantial brick-built structures, protected by sandbags, sited in playing fields, on hilltops or rooftops of public buildings and factories. The posts were manned continuously from 3rd September 1939 to 12th May 1945.
In 1955, the Corps was given the nuclear reporting role by the Home Office and in the early 1960s, Nuclear Reporting Cells (NRCs), were set up at Air Defence Operations Centres and subsequently at other key military establishments in the UK. A series of posts for the observation of aircraft was built for the new organisation. These were substantial structures that offered some level of protection from the elements or attack. Many were made of pre-cast concrete panelled structures known as ''Orlit'' posts, after Orlit Ltd the manufacturers. These structures were split into two sections: the entrance door led into the smaller roofed section which was used as a shelter and store; a sliding door led to the open section, which housed the post instrument and chart on top of a wooden mounting. There were two varieties: the ''Orlit A'' was at ground level and the "Orlit B" was raised on four 6ft legs with a ladder for access. Between 1952 and 1955, more than 400 Orlits were constructed.
Between 1958-1968, a countrywide building programme resulted in a network of 1,563 underground monitoring posts, located approximately 8 miles apart and distributed throughout Britain at an estimated cost of almost £5,000 each. The posts were 25ft deep and built of reinforced concrete, waterproofed with bitumen. The whole structure was then covered by a compacted soil mound. Entry was via a steel ladder in a vertical shaft leading to a single room, providing accommodation for three observers to live and work, with a separate compartment with a chemical toilet. Air was circulated from grilled ventilators at both ends of the post and electricity was provided by a 12 volt battery, charged occasionally by an electric generator. Instruments detected the size of any nuclear burst, together with the location and levels of radiation. Conditions were cramped, cold and in some cases damp.
Following the 1990 defence spending review, the ROC post and control personnel were stood down on 30th September 1991. Many of the ROC posts have since been dismantled or sold and sadly, quite a number have been trashed by vandals.
– HAWKER SIDDELEY HARRIER T.4N XW268 –
Originally built as a Harrier T2 by Hawker Siddeley, XW268 had its first flight on the 5th November 1970, and delivered to Harrier Conversion Unit (Later, 233 Operational Conversion Unit), at RAF Wittering in January 1971.
In May 1977 it was modified to T.4 standard and delivered back to RAF Wittering to No. 1 Squadron. July 1979 saw the aircraft upgrade to a T.4a standard with the Pegasus 103 engine, and saw it returned back to 233 OCU at RAF Wittering.
In 1990, XW268 was modified to a T.4n standard and transferred to Fleet Air Arm and taken on strength by 899 Naval Air Squadron (NAS), RNAS Yeovilton. The aircraft now had overall dark sea grey colour scheme, 899 NAS makings, and sported the codes 720/VL.
On the 27th June 1994, XW268's service life ended abruptly when it was involved in a misjudged and heavy landing at RNAS Yeovilton, causing unrepairable damage.
Following an in-service spares recovery task in 1995, what was left of XW268 was disposed of to a private company, until the derelict airframe was discovered by its current owner. Following talks, arrangements were made to acquire the aircraft, and XW268 was lifted out of an undergrowth and grassy habitat and transported and transported to the City of Norwich Aviation Museum in May.
XW268 is a work in progress, and significant restoration work has already been carried out by the owner, who is on the lookout for spare parts. Follow the history and restoration in more detail at www.xw268.net or search Facebook for XW268.
Information from the City of Norwich Aviation Museum.
Operational history –
▪︎Build No.212007, was built as a T.2 by Hawker Siddeley at their Kingston & Dunsfold Factories.
▪︎5th November 1970 - First Flight.
▪︎7th January 1971 - Delivered to the Harrier Conversion Unit, RAF Wittering, initially coded '68' The Harrier Conversion Unit later became 233 Operational Conversion Unit (OCU).
▪︎December 1973 - Recorded as '54' and continued to stay with 233 OCU.
▪︎May 1977 - Modified to T.4 standard and delivered back to RAF Wittering, this time to No. 1 Squadron and coded 'Red 12' (This is unconfirmed).
▪︎July 1979 - One of four T.4's converted to T.4a standard (upgrade to the Pegasus 103 engine) and returned to 233 OCU, RAF Wittering, this time coded 'U'.
▪︎February 1983 to March 1983 - Loaned to the Indian Navy Training Unit at RNAS Yeovilton to help train the Indian Navy Sea Harrier Pilots. Having had a brief taste of things to come, she was returned to 233 OCU with whom she stayed until being transferred to the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) in 1990.
▪︎March 1989 - Having been modified to T.4N standard, XW268 was delivered to 899 Naval Air Squadron (NAS) RNAS Yeovilton in 1990. She now wore an overall Dark Sea Grey scheme, 899 NAS markings and sporting the codes 720/VL.
▪︎She stayed with 899 NAS for the rest of her service life, although she was painted in anniversary markings for 899 NAS' 50th Anniversary in 1992.
▪︎27th June 1994 - It is on this day that XW268's service life came to an abrupt end when she was involved in a landing accident at RNAS Yeovilton, causing significant damage.
▪︎1995 - With surplus RAF T.4's available, XW268 was placed in spares recovery.
▪︎January 1997 - Following spares recovery, the subsequent remains were disposed of, eventually ending up at Park Aviation Supply, Faygate. XW268 remained at Faygate, forlorn and looking very sorry for itself until 'discovered' by its current owner, Daniel Lander. After suitable talks, arrangements were made and XW268 was lifted out of the undergrowth and grassy habitat and transported to the City of Norwich Aviation Museum.
▪︎8th May 2008 - Arrival at City of Norwich Aviation Museum....….the long process of restoration began.
PREFABRICATED SECO BUILDINGS –
The is small prefabricated Seco bulding (W.A.Drg) is a prefabricated building system first devised by Utii-Seco Structures Limited in 1942. Buildings were formed from pre-fabricated hollow plywood beams, columns, and eave pieces. Wall and roof units were formed of timber frames covered with flat asbestos sheets, the cavity between the facing sheets filled with a mixture of cement and wood wool. Door and window units, in this case a Crittall type, were also supplied. (English Heritage).
RAF Barnham (also known as Barnham Camp) is a Royal Air Force station situated in Suffolk two miles south of Thetford, it is located to the north of the village of Barnham on Thetford Heaths, the camp is a satellite station of RAF Honington. During the 1950's and 1960's a part of RAF Barnham Station was set aside as high-security storage facility for Nuclear Weapons, this area of the site is now a scheduled monument. Earlier than that, RAF Barnham had been used as a Chemical Weapons Store and Filling Station from the 22nd August 1939. In the early 1960's, the Nuclear Weapons Storage facility was put up for sale, and now forms the privately owned Gorse Industrial Estate.
The Chemical Weapon Store and former Chemical Weapon Filling Station are situated down the dead-end Station Road. The present main gate of RAF Barnham can be found directly off the Bury Road A134 between Barnham village and Thetford, the entrance to the former Nuclear Weapons Store (now Gorse Industrial Estate) can be found on the Elveden Road between Barnham village and the old A11.
Military facilities have existed at Barnham since the First World War, and during the Second World War Barnham had been a Chemical Weapons Storage and Filling Station for Mustard Gas. During 1953 and 1954 construction began on a high-security RAF Bomb Store on the Thetford Heath. The site was to become known as RAF Barnham and construction was completed in 1955 with the site operational from September 1956. RAF Barnham was constructed as a sister-site to a similar facility constructed a few years before at RAF Faldingworth. Both sites were built to store and maintain Free-Fall Nuclear Bombs and RAF Barnham was able to supply the Bomber Squadrons at RAF Honington, RAF Marham, RAF Watton, RAF Wyton, RAF Upwood and RAF Bassingbourn, RAF Barnham came under the control of the RAF's No. 94 Maintenance Unit.
The operational life of RAF Barnham was relatively short, by the early 1960's this type of Storage Facility became obsolete as Free-Fall Nuclear Bombs were superseded as the weapon of choice, for the British Nuclear Deterrent, by the Blue Steel Stand-Off Missile. The storage and maintenance of Nuclear Weapons moved to the V Bomber Airfields. The last Nuclear Weapons were probably removed from the site by April 1963, the site was sold in 1966, and since that date it has been used as a light industrial estate.
The site was built specifically to store and maintain Free-Fall Nuclear Bombs, such as 'Blue Danube' this specific purpose was reflected in the facility's layout, the site was roughly pentagonal in shape, it consisted of three large Non-Nuclear Component Stores, surrounded by earthwork banking and a number of smaller Storage Buildings to hold the Fissile Cores, the Cores were held in Stainless Steel Containers sunk into the ground, with the larger buildings stored the Bomb Casings and the High-Explosive elements of the weapons.
The smaller Stores known as ''Hutches'' were constructed to hold the Fissile Core of the weapons, these Hutches were further divided into type 'A' and 'B'. The 'A' Type hutches having a single borehole for the storage of Plutonium Cores and the 'B' Type Hutches having a double borehole for storing the Cobalt cores. In total, there were 55 Hutches giving enough capacity to store 64 Fissile Cores. RAF Barnham had sufficient storage capacity for 132 Fissile Cores although it's likely that only a small number were ever stored there as only 25 Blue Danube Bombs were ever built at a cost of £1M per bomb !
In addition to the storage buildings, the site consisted of a number of other buildings including a Fire Station, RAF Police Flight, Administration Block, Mess block, Mechanical Transport Section, Kennels and Workshops. The Perimeter of the Site was protected by a double system of Chain Link Fencing and an Inner Concrete Panel Wall, all of which were topped with Barbed Wire. In 1959 security was enhanced by the building of Watch Towers around the Perimeter.
The former Nuclear Bomb Storage facilities are designated as a scheduled monument by English Heritage with several buildings on the site having listed building status. RAF Barnham is a Satellite Station for RAF Honington and is used by the RAF Regiment for training, It is used as an accommodation and training venue for the Potential Gunners Acquaintance Course (PGAC) The adjacent MoD Training Area remains the property of the Ministry of Defence and is still used by the RAF Regiment, as well as the Air Training Corps and Combined Cadet Force for training.
In January 2016, it was announced that RAF Barnham would close, A 'Better Defence Estate' published in November 2016, indicates that the Ministry of Defence will dispose of the site by 2020, domestic accommodation will be relocated to RAF Honington, with access to Barnham Training Area maintained, this was later extended to 2022.
Information sourced from – en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Barnham
Blick auf eine der alten drei Start- und Landebahnen des Einsatzhafens. Deutlich sind die zubetonierten Bombenkrater zu erkennen. Auch nach 70 Jahren ist zumindest eine Startbahn in einem sehr guten Zustand erhalten.
United States Air Force Museum, Dayton (2005)
United States - East-Coast Tour 2005
Bell X-1B, 48-1385 in USAF markings
under the wings of the B-70
Photo selection
North American - B-70 Valkyrie
The United States Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is one
of the largest Aviation Musems of the World.
The collection was displayed in 3 museum buildings, an outside display in front of the entrance and a seperate building on the airbase.
Visiting the restoration area was on special appointment.
(I never made it sofar)
The photos are equally tagged to the display area's.
In front of the museum are the outside displays and the Experimental and Presidental aircraft are in the remote hangar.
The main museum is divided in various periodes of aviation.
1st building World-War I and World-War II
2nd building Korean War and South-East Asia
3rd building Coldwar Period and Recent Aircraft
In 2016 a fourth building opened containing most aircraft that were previously on display at the airbase.
The F-15 Eagle has been the U.S. Air Force’s Primary Jet Fighter Aircraft and Interceptor for decades, it's Air Superiority is achieved through a mixture of unprecedented maneuverability and acceleration, range, weapons and avionics. It can penetrate Enemy Defence and outperform and outfight any current Enemy Aircraft. The F-15 has electronic systems and weaponry to detect, acquire, track and attack Enemy Aircraft while operating in friendly or Enemy-Controlled Airspace. The Weapons and Flight Fontrol Systems are designed so one person can safely and effectively perform Air-to-Air Combat.
The F-15's superior maneuverability and acceleration are achieved through high engine thrust-to-weight ratio and low wing loading. Low wing-loading (the ratio of aircraft weight to its wing area) is a vital factor in maneuverability and, combined with the high thrust-to-weight ratio, enables the Aircraft to turn tightly without losing airspeed. A 'Multimission Avionics System' sets the F-15 apart from other Fighter Aircraft, it includes a Head-Up Display, Advanced Radar, Inertial Navigation System, Flight Instruments, Ultrahigh Frequency Communications, Tactical Navigation System and Instrument Landing System. It also has an internally mounted, Tactical Electronic-Warfare System, ''Identification Friend or Foe'' System, Electronic Countermeasures Set and a Central Digital Computer.
The Pilot's Head-Up Display projects on the windscreen all essential flight information gathered by the Integrated Avionics System. This display, is visible in any light condition, provides information necessary to track and destroy an Enemy Aircraft without having to look down at cockpit instruments. The F-15's versatile Pulse-Doppler Radar System can look up at high-flying targets and down at low-flying targets without being confused by ground clutter. It can detect and track Aircraft and small high-speed targets at distances beyond visual range down to close range, and at altitudes down to treetop level. The Radar feeds target information into the Central Computer for effective Weapons delivery. For Close-in Dogfights, the Radar automatically acquires Enemy Aircraft, and this information is projected on the Head-Up Display. The F-15's Electronic Warfare System provides both Threat Warning and Automatic Countermeasures against selected threats.
A variety of Air-to-Air Weaponry can be carried by the F-15, an Automated Weapon System enables the Pilot to perform Aerial Combat safely and effectively, using the Head-Up Display and the Avionics and Weapons Controls located on the engine throttles or control stick. When the Pilot changes from one Weapon System to another, Visual Guidance for the required Weapon automatically appears on the Head-Up Display. The F-15 can be armed with combinations of different Air-to-Air Weapons, such as the AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles on its lower fuselage corners, AIM-9L/M Sidewinder or AIM-120 Missiles on two pylons under the wings, and an internal 20mm Gatling Gun in the right wing root.
The F-15E is a Two-Seat, Dual-Role, totally Integrated Fighter for All-Weather, Air-to-Air and Deep Interdiction Missions. The rear Cockpit is upgraded to include four Multi-Purpose CRT Displays for Aircraft Systems and Weapons Management. The digital, Triple-Redundant Lear Siegler Flight Control System permits coupled Automatic Terrain following, enhanced by a Ring-Laser Gyro Inertial Navigation System. For Low-Altitude, High-Speed Penetration and Precision Attack on Tactical Targets at night or in adverse weather, the F-15E carries a High-Resolution APG-70 Radar and Low-Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night Pods.
The first F-15A flight was made in July 1972, and the first flight of the two-seat F-15B (formerly TF-15A) Trainer was made in July 1973, the first Eagle (F-15B) was delivered in November 1974 and in January 1976, the first Eagle destined for a Combat Squadron was delivered. The Single-Seat F-15C and Two-Seat F-15D models entered the Air Force inventory beginning in 1979. These new models have Production Eagle Package (PEP 2000) improvements, including 2,000lb of additional internal fuel, provision for carrying exterior conformal fuel tanks and increased maximum takeoff weight of up to 68,000lb.
The F-15 Multistage Improvement Program was initiated in February 1983, with the first production MSIP F-15C produced in 1985, the improvements included an Upgraded Central Computer, a Programmable Armament Control Set, allowing for advanced versions of the AIM-7, AIM-9, and AIM-120A Missiles, and an expanded Tactical Electronic Warfare System that provides improvements to the ALR-56C Radar Warning Receiver and ALQ-135 Countermeasure Set, the final 43 included a Hughes APG-70 Radar.
F-15C, D and E models were deployed to the Persian Gulf in 1991 in support of ''Operation Desert Storm'' where they proved their superior Combat capability. F-15C Fighters accounted for 34 of the 37 Air Force Air-to-Air victories. F-15E's were operated mainly at night, hunting SCUD Missile Launchers and Artillery Sites using the LANTIRN system. They have since been deployed for Air Expeditionary Force deployments and operations ''Southern Watch'' (no-fly zone in Southern Iraq) Provide Comfort in Turkey, Allied Force in Bosnia, Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Iraqi Freedom in Iraq.
▪︎Manufacturer: McDonnell Douglas Corporation
▪︎Service: United States Air Force
▪︎Armament: M-61A1 Cannon / 4x AIM-9 Sidewinder / 4x AIM-120 AMRAAMs; 8x AIM-120 AMRAAM
▪︎Power plant: Two Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-100, 220 or 229 Turbofan Engines with Afterburners
▪︎Speed: 1,875 mph (Mach 2)
▪︎Range: 3,450 miles.
United States Air Force Museum, Dayton (2005)
United States - East-Coast Tour 2005
Douglas O-38F, 33-0324 in USAAC markings
Photo selection
The United States Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio is one
of the largest Aviation Musems of the World.
The collection was displayed in 3 museum buildings, an outside display in front of the entrance and a seperate building on the airbase.
Visiting the restoration area was on special appointment.
(I never made it sofar)
The photos are equally tagged to the display area's.
In front of the museum are the outside displays and the Experimental and Presidental aircraft are in the remote hangar.
The main museum is divided in various periodes of aviation.
1st building World-War I and World-War II
2nd building Korean War and South-East Asia
3rd building Coldwar Period and Recent Aircraft
In 2016 a fourth building opened containing most aircraft that were previously on display at the airbase.
STERILE AREA –
RAF Barnham Nuclear Weapons Storage Facility was heavily secured and at the time was probably one of the most secure locations in the United Kingdom. The security element was the responsibility of the RAF Police (RAFP). Personnel from differing operating periods at RAF Barnham have stated that there were up to three varieties of RAF Police specialisations working at the site: 'Provost' 'Station' and 'Qualified Police Dog' (dog handlers).
As well as a standard outer fence and main gate picket post, the facility included an inner perimeter fence and within that an inner concrete wall with another picket post. The area between these two latter perimeters was classed as ''sterile'', with trip wires and flares in the gap between them and atop the wall, to alert the guard force to intruders. Pole-mounted lighting was positioned at regular intervals within the sterile area and halfway between the towers was a V-shaped bulge in the fence to allow patrolling guards the ability to look up and down the fence line from a small path that ran within the area. A telephone post was located at these bulges.
Two electric sliding gates at the outer and inner fence and a traditional style split middle wire gate acted as ''vehicle traps'' for any vehicle driving in or out. At the front sliding gate was a personnel turnstile controlled by the RAFP guardroom. At the rear sliding gate was personnel access to the inner picket where flammables and other contraband (matches, cigarettes, lighters etc) were surrendered before entering the ''Danger Area''.
RAFP Dog Handlers patrolled the site and the RAFP station staff manned the watch towers and pickets. The area between the outer and middle fence was patrolled by the Dog Handlers, with elements of the outer perimeter reportedly just spools of barbed wire.
Five Watch Towers, one at each point of the pentagonal fence, were located on the inside of the middle fencing when the site was decommissioned. These were accessible along the path within the sterile area near the fence line, some elements of which are still visible under the moss and foliage. A 6th vantage point was located on the maintenance building towards the centre of the compound. Each tower could see the others at the time of operational use (trees get in the way now) and were fitted with searchlights at a third of the way up and right at the top, possibly similar to those used on ships. It has been reported that the angle of the lights had to be limited as the Officer Commanding RAF Lakenheath had made complaints that his pilots were getting dazzled by RAF Barnham's watch towers.
The existing tall metal towers were believed to have been installed in late 1959/early 1960. Prior to this there were wooden ones, described as being pretty basic and about 15ft high, with a base around 6ft square with a large searchlight mounted in the centre which could be swung almost 360° in either direction. Access was reportedly by a wooden ladder and there was a single railing round about waist height. There was a field telephone at the top of the ladder and ''special'' binoculars were issued. The platforms were in roughly the same positions of the new towers but on the inside of the concrete path. It has been reported by another source that when the new towers were built, the fences had to be modified to accommodate them, via a U-shaped cut-out, visible on the site today.
A former RAFP Dog Handler stated that before being posted to Barnham, you and more importantly your dog had to gain at least 90% in exams/tests, meaning they had some of the best personnel and animals in the trade. In comparison, the RAFP Station staff stated that they received no special training as such for the role. They did get sent on a special security course, but that it was of little relevance or use to RAF Barnham. They simply classed it as another security related job. Some have stated that they spent a lot of time on the range, with many of the Police being marksmen. It has been reported that the RAFP were issued automatic 9mm pistols towards the end of the site's operational period, replacing the Smith and Wesson .38 that had been in common use.
The shift pattern recalled by most RAFP personnel spoken to consisted of 9 consecutive shifts comprising 3 evenings (1500-2300), 3 midnights (2300-0700) and 3 days (0700-1500) which would then be followed by 2 days off. Approximately 14 Station staff were on shift, comprising of one Sergeant shift controller, one Corporal deputy shift controller and 12 others, some made up of National Service personnel. Therefore, with an off duty shift, this meant a guard force of around 56, plus all of the ''X'' flight staff (the term used for those involved with the weapon convoys), which had around 14 personnel. It was usually an hour on and an hour off on the old wooden watch towers. The Dog Handler shift patterns were (1800-0000) and (0000-0600), with no day patrols, around 8 dogs were on site at a time.
This and other RAFP sources have said that the security personnel knew very little about the goings on inside, even with the vantage points of the towers. It is reported that all movements were specially screened to be hidden from view, with even the large bombs themselves sheeted. One RAFP officer had even reported as quipping to a convoy commander about ''another glider'' coming in, making reference to the similarity between the ''Blue Danube'' pantechnicon and a glider trailer.
Information sourced from – rafbarnham-nss.weebly.com/security.html
Here are the personal details of a Gerhard Hempel, whose DTSB mitgliedbuch I very nearly didn't buy two years ago. The DTSB (Deutscher Turn-Und Sportbund or German Gymnastics and Sports Association) was the last major mass organisation to be created by the East German Government in 1957 and I can't see anything about membership being compulsory but I'm guessing that it was.
Once the so-called German Democratic Republic (because there was nothing fucking democratic about it!) was dissolved and Germany was reunified, the DTSB was disbanded and either the individual sports associations continued to exist independently or they joined their Western counterparts.
As for Helga Treickel (whose photo you can see), well, he joined the DTSB when he was 23 (he was born on 9 March 1930) but as you can see hismitgliedbuch is dated 31 March 1970 at the Locomotive Sports Association in his home town of Malchin, so maybe he worked on the railways and his book is WELL fucking filled, with membership stamps going right up to 1988.
The British Bristol Bloodhound is a Ramjet Powered Surface-to-Air Missile developed in the 1950's during the Cold War Era, it was designed to Defend the RAF ''V-Bomber Bases'' of the United Kingdom's 'Airborne Nuclear Deterrent' which included the 'Vickers Valiant' 'Handley Page Victor' and the 'Avro Vulcan' Long-Range Bomber Aircraft. The Bloodhound served as the United Kingdom's main Air Defence Weapon into the 1990's and was in large-scale service with the Royal Air Force and the Forces of four other countries.
From 1958 several RAF Fighter Squadrons were re-equipped with Bloodhound Mk.I Missiles and Air Defence relied on a combination of manned Aircraft and Missiles. If an Enemy were to launch an attack, the Squadrons own Radar System would track the attackers, launching the Bloodhound Missiles and guiding them to their target when in range. This equipment was sited in buildings around V-Bomber Bases when using the Mk.I system, but the Mk.II system was designed to use fully Air Transportable vehicles.
Although it never had to be used, the Bloodhound Missile proved in tests to be very good at the job it was designed for, it was retained for Airfield Defence by the RAF until the 1990's, the system was also exported to Sweden, Switzerland and Australia.
In the Air Defence environment, if the Fighters failed to shoot down the enemy, the last line of protection against air attacks is by Ground-to-Air Missiles. Developed in the late 1950's to protect key Airfields against High Level Attack by Soviet Bombers, the Bloodhound Mk.I Missile entered service in 1958, with the upgraded Bloodhound Mk.II entering service in 1964.
Originally operated just in the United Kingdom, the initial Mk.I deployment consisted of eight Missile Sites, RAF Dunholme Lodge, RAF Watton, RAF Marham, RAF Rattlesden, RAF Woolfox Lodge, RAF Carnaby, RAF Warboys, and RAF Breighton with a trial site at RAF North Coates. The Bloodhound was also deployed by the RAF in Countries such as Germany, Cyprus, Singapore and Malaysia, Switzerland also bought the Bloodhound.
At the time, the British Nuclear Deterrent was carried by the Vulcans, Victor's and Valiant Long-Range Bombers. The primary reason for these particular sites in the United Kingdom being chosen was for the Defence of the V-Bomber Bases across East Anglia and Lincolnshire. After the Nuclear Deterrent role passed to the Royal Navy Polaris Submarines in 1970, all Bloodhound Missiles within the United Kingdom were withdrawn, they were stored or transferred to RAF Germany as Airfield Defences.
As time went on, the possibility of Low-Level Attack by Soviet Bombers or Cruise Missiles led to a reappraisal of the United Kingdom's Air Defences, this new threat resulted in the first Bloodhound's arriving back in the United Kingdom at RAF West Raynham in Norfolk in late 1975. With deployment of the new British 'Rapier Ground-to-Air Missile System' to Germany, all the Bloodhound's were returned to the United Kingdom by 1983 and were placed in operation at four more sites in East Anglia, RAF Bawdsey, RAF Barkston Heath, RAF Wyton and RAF Wattisham.
By now the Bloodhound Force was directly under the Operational Control of the RAF Neatishead 'Cold War' Operations Room (which is now the excellent ''RAF Air Defence Radar Museum'') each Missile Flight could also act independently if needed. The Bloodhound System used both the 'Fixed' Type 87 and the 'Mobile' Type 86 Radar System for Target Detection and for Semi-Active Guidance to the target. In 1990 as the Cold War wound down the remaining Bloodhound Missiles were re-located at RAF Raynham and RAF Wattisham with plans to operate them until 1995 but they were retired from service in 1991.
The Missile could engage targets flying up to 65,000ft out to a range of over 50 miles, it was extremely fast exceeding the speed of sound 760mph, almost as soon as its left the Launcher and at height reaching twice that speed.
Specifications:
▪︎Type: Surface-to-Air Missile
▪︎Place of origin: United Kingdom
▪︎In Service: 1958 (Mk.I) / 1964 (Mk.II) to 1991
▪︎Designed: 1950's
▪︎Manufacturer: Bristol Aeroplane Company
▪︎Number Built: 783
▪︎Variants: Mk.I / Mk.II / Mk.III / Mk.IV
▪︎Mass Overall: 5,000lb
▪︎Length Overall: 27ft 9in
▪︎Diameter: Main Body 1ft 9.5in
▪︎Warhead: Continuous-Rod Warhead
▪︎Detonation Mechanism: Proximity Fuze
▪︎Engine: 2 x Ramjets / 4 x Solid Fuel Boosters
▪︎Wingspan Overall: (9ft 3in
▪︎Operational Range: Mk.I 32 miles / Mk.II 118 miles
▪︎Maximum Speed: Mach 2.7 (2,072mph)
▪︎Guidance System: Semi-Active Radar Homing
▪︎Steering System: Control Surfaces
▪︎Launch Platform: Fixed Installation.
Sourced from - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodhound_(missile)
This ROC post was in use from March 1962 until September 1991. For some time it was overgrown but the site has since been cleared and kept free of vegetation. The fence surrounding the compound has been removed and only one concrete post is still standing (beside the former entrance gate).
The Royal Observer Corps was a uniformed volunteer organisation, which has enjoyed a long association with the Royal Air Force. The motto of the Royal Observer Corps is ''Forewarned is Forearmed'' and it would appear that the earliest system for the detection and reporting of aircraft was started late in 1914. Police constables were instructed to telephone reports of any aircraft including Zeppelins, seen or heard within 60 miles of London to the Admiralty, who were in charge of the defences at that time. In 1915, it was decided to extend the area covered by this arrangement, to East Anglia, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
In September 1941, due to the increased call-up of manpower, women were admitted to the Corps. In addition to reporting all aircraft flying over land, or the sea belt adjoining the coastline, ROC personnel on duty by then also assisted aircraft that were lost or in distress. On Saturday 10 May 1941, ROC posts in the Durham, Galashiels and Glasgow Groups were responsible for tracking and reporting what transpired to be the arrival of Rudolph Hess.
High quality Navy binoculars were issued and the observation posts were at first nothing more than a wooden shed located next to a telegraph pole, which connected them to the local telephone exchange. These were eventually replaced by more substantial brick-built structures, protected by sandbags, sited in playing fields, on hilltops or rooftops of public buildings and factories. The posts were manned continuously from 3rd September 1939 to 12th May 1945.
In 1955, the Corps was given the nuclear reporting role by the Home Office and in the early 1960s, Nuclear Reporting Cells (NRCs), were set up at Air Defence Operations Centres and subsequently at other key military establishments in the UK. A series of posts for the observation of aircraft was built for the new organisation. These were substantial structures that offered some level of protection from the elements or attack. Many were made of pre-cast concrete panelled structures known as ''Orlit'' posts, after Orlit Ltd the manufacturers. These structures were split into two sections: the entrance door led into the smaller roofed section which was used as a shelter and store; a sliding door led to the open section, which housed the post instrument and chart on top of a wooden mounting. There were two varieties: the ''Orlit A'' was at ground level and the "Orlit B" was raised on four 6ft legs with a ladder for access. Between 1952 and 1955, more than 400 Orlits were constructed.
Between 1958-1968, a countrywide building programme resulted in a network of 1,563 underground monitoring posts, located approximately 8 miles apart and distributed throughout Britain at an estimated cost of almost £5,000 each. The posts were 25ft deep and built of reinforced concrete, waterproofed with bitumen. The whole structure was then covered by a compacted soil mound. Entry was via a steel ladder in a vertical shaft leading to a single room, providing accommodation for three observers to live and work, with a separate compartment with a chemical toilet. Air was circulated from grilled ventilators at both ends of the post and electricity was provided by a 12 volt battery, charged occasionally by an electric generator. Instruments detected the size of any nuclear burst, together with the location and levels of radiation. Conditions were cramped, cold and in some cases damp.
Following the 1990 defence spending review, the ROC post and control personnel were stood down on 30th September 1991. Many of the ROC posts have since been dismantled or sold and sadly, quite a number have been trashed by vandals.
The Post War, Cold War era Yarnold Sanger Guard Post is reminiscent of the World War Two Norcon Pillbox, it's made of cast concrete sections rather than sections of pipe previously used. It's named after it's inventor Flt Yarnold Sangar whom came up with the idea in 1986. It's manufactured by the Amey Roadstone Corporation (ARC) the standard design consists of five sections:
▪︎Floor Section - solid concrete base (same as roof section)
▪︎Blank Section - two of these
▪︎Loophole Section - four equally spaced loopholes
▪︎Roof Section - solid concrete roof
▪︎Additional Sections - added to suit position.
Extra sections can be added for extra height or added loophole sizes, half wall sections can be added to provide a protective screen around the entrance, banking up earth to loophole level with an access trench gave further protection, this example flic.kr/p/2jBHwCK at RAF Neatishead is a great example of how the Yarnold Sanger Guard Post can be adapted to its purpose. Normally a free standing sentry or guard post sited near gateways, they were often painted white, green or camouflage colours. They were used by all three forces, found in RAF stations, barracks and military instilations, and are used as sentry posts at the gateways, those who regularly stood on guard never complained of their vulnerability, but how cold they were inside !
Sourced from:
www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/advanced-pillbox-designs/p...
– THE BLUE DANUBE ATOMIC BOMB –
The ''Blue Danube'' was a very large weapon, 24ft in length and weighing 10,000 lb. For storage it was broken down into three main sections, the nose, the central section containing a 5ft diameter sphere of explosives, weighing nearly 2½ tons, and the tail section. For safety reasons the Plutonium Fissile Cores were kept separately. The sites pentagonal structure consists of three giant stores for storing the bomb and four plantations of small sheds in which Fissile Cores were stored.
One of the giant stores was destroyed by a fire. To assemble the bomb the core would be picked up on a hand trolley and taken to a central assembly building to be matched with its body. Whenever a fission trigger was moved, a klaxon would sound, and everyone on the site would have to freeze motionless. The storage of Nuclear Weapons probably ceased at RAF Barnham in spring 1963. In 1965 the site was offered for Public sale. (taken from site information board).
The first Blue Danube was delivered to RAF Wittering in November 1953 although there were no aircraft equipped to carry it until the following year. No. 1321 Flight RAF was established at RAF Wittering in April 1954 as a Vickers Valiant unit to introduce the Blue Danube nuclear weapon into RAF service. Declassified archives show that 58 were produced, before production shifted in 1958 to the smaller and more capable ''Red Beard'' weapon, which could accept the Blue Danube core and be carried by smaller aircraft than the V-bomber fleet. Blue Danube was retired from service in 1962.
Blue Danube was the first operational British nuclear weapon, the RAF V-bomber Force was meant to use Blue Danube at a time when the first hydrogen bomb had not yet been detonated, and the British military planners still believed that an atomic war could be fought and won using atomic bombs of a similar yield to the Hiroshima bomb dropped by the U.S. to end the Second World War. For that reason the stockpile originally planned was for up to 800 bombs with yields of approximately 10-12 kilotons.
V-bomber bomb bays were sized to carry Blue Danube, the smallest-size nuclear bomb that was possible to be designed given the technology of the day (1947) when their plans were formulated. Initial designs for the Blue Danube warhead were based on research derived from ''Hurricane'', the first British fission device (which was not designed nor employed as a weapon) tested in 1952. The actual Blue Danube warhead was proof-tested at the Marcoo (surface) and Kite (air-drop) nuclear trials sites in Maralinga, Australia, by a team of Australian, British and Canadian scientists in late 1956.
Blue Danube added a ballistically shaped casing to the existing Hurricane physics package, with four flip-fins to ensure a stable ballistic trajectory from the planned release height of 50,000ft. The flip fins were needed to allow it to fit in the carrying aircraft's bomb bay. It initially used a plutonium core, but all service versions were modified to use a composite plutonium/ U-235 core. A version was also tested with a uranium-only core. The service chiefs insisted on a yield of between 10-12 kT for 2 reasons. Firstly to minimise usage of scarce and expensive fissile material; and secondly to minimise the risk of predetonation, a phenomenon then little understood and the primary reason for using a composite core of concentric shells of plutonium and U-235.
Major deficiencies with Blue Danube included the use of unreliable lead-acid accumulators to supply power to the firing circuits and radar altimeters. Later weapons used the more reliable ram-air turbine-generators or thermal batteries. Blue Danube was not engineered as a weapon equipped to withstand the rigours of service life. It was really a scientific experiment on a gigantic scale, which needed to be re-engineered to meet service requirements. That re-engineered weapon became Red Beard. A similar account could be written of the first U.S. atomic bomb, ''Fat Man'', which was quickly re-engineered after World War II.
Information sourced from – rafbarnham-nss.weebly.com/blue-danube.html
Tidligere tysk Luftwaffe bunker ved Thors Mølle i Marselisborgskoven. Efter krigen anvendt af Hærens vestre Landsdelskommand som krigshovedkvarter. Tjener åbenlyst stadig et militært formål. Selv bunkerindgang er skjult.
Former German Luftwaffe bunker ved Thors Mølle in Århus. After the war used by the danish army as regional wartime command. Obviously still serves at military purpose. The main entrance to the bunker i hidden out of sight
The Thornycroft Mighty Antar was designed in the late 1940's as the Mk.I and first entered service in 1951, the name 'Antar' was intended as a flattering gesture to the primary customer for the vehicle, the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. “Antar Ibn Shadded” was a pre-Islamic poet-warrior. The Mighty Antar was the standard Tank Transporter for the British Army for decades, It had 10 wheels on 3 axles, 2 drive axles at the rear each with 2 pairs of wheels, the front axle, doing the steering was un-driven, the vehicle was designed from the beginning as an off-road, heavy haulage vehicle.
The Mk.I was only built as a Ballast Tractor for the Dyson FV3601 Tank Transporting Trailer, they can be identified by having a Steel Ballast Body. Eight Mk.I's were also supplied to the Airfield Construction Branch of the RAF for towing Dyson 50 ton Plant Transporting Trailer. Seven of the RAF Mk.I's later transferred to the Army for Tank-Transporting duties and were re-registered with a ZB registration. The Mk.I had a large Turner built winch for loading Tanks onto the trailer. When an updated model with a Wooden Ballast Body and Darlinglon Winch was introduced this was initially also referred to as a Mk.I, but latter contracts of the same Wooden Ballast Bodied Tractor were referred to as the Mk.II. The Mk.I Mighty Antar was powered by a V8 Meteorite engine built under licence by the Rover Car Company, the Meteorite was a cut-down version of the Rolls Royce V12 Meteor used in the Centurion Tank family which was itself a version of the Merlin aero engine. The first Antar's entered British Army service as FV12001, Tractor 30 ton GS 6X4 and were paired with the Dyson FV3601 Trailer used to carry the new, heavy, Centurion Tank.
The Mk.II Antar was basically a refined Mk.I moving of the two 100 gallon fuel tanks to the side of the chassis, the ballast body was made demountable and a fifth wheel fitted for towing the new 16-wheeled FV3001 Semi-Trailer of 60 tons capacity, with a 20 ton winch being added behind the cab to assist in loading the trailer. The Antar Mk.III entered service in the early 1960's to cope with the increasing weight of the Centurion Tanks and the projected Chieftain models. These were the last Antars in service and were used up until the mid-1980's. The Mk.III replaced the Meteorite engine with a Rolls Royce C8SFL, 16.2 litre, inline 8 cylinder, supercharged diesel power unit developing 333 bhp, this allowed for a much narrower bonnet making the Mk.III easily distinguished from its predecessors. Whilst still being able to tow the 50 ton Dyson Trailer, by removing the demountable ballast box it could tow the 60 ton Semi-Trailer. The maximum speed was 35 mph and with a Chieftain Tank on board the all up weight was 112 tons, but they were road tested up to 126 tons.
By the late 1960's, it was clear that the Mighty Antar, even when re-engined, was an old design and replacement would be needed, there was also concern over the spares situation, as they were out of production and Thornycroft had been absorbed, via AEC, into the vast mass of Leyland, so the Thornycroft Mighty Antar was replaced by the Scammell Commander in 1986.
▪︎Type: Heavy Duty Tractor
▪︎Place of Origin: United Kingdom
▪︎In Service: 1951 to 1984
▪︎Designer: Thornycroft
▪︎Manufacturer: Thornycroft
▪︎Produced: 1951 to 1964
▪︎Variants: Mk.I / Mk.II / Mk.III / Model C6T (RAF colours)
▪︎Mass: 44,220lb
▪︎Length: 27ft 8in / Width: 9ft 3in / Height: 10ft 3in
▪︎Powerplant: Rover / Rolls-Royce Meteorite Mk.204 V8 18.0 litre 260hp
▪︎Suspension: wheel 6x4
▪︎Maximum Speed: 28mph.
Sourced from:
At a right angle bend in the hedgerow between two fields, 150 yards North of Furze Lane, There is some compound fencing remaining in place. All surface features remain intact, the ventilation louvres are mostly rotten. The hatch is open. Internally the post is strewn with rubbish and has been completely stripped. The internal door to the monitoring room is hanging off its hinges. An Orlit B stand in bushes within the compound. It is in fair condition but al the doors, shelves etc have been removed. Opened in 1958 and closed in 1968.
The McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II was retired from Luftwaffe service during an airshow at Wittmund AFB in summer 2013. Depicted here is 37+01, the first airframe delivered in 1973. 40 years later it received a special celebratory paint scheme. #PhantomPharewell #F-4Phantom
Categories:
McDonnell Douglas - F-4 Phantom - Cold War Aircraft - Luftwaffe - Bundeswehr - Wittmund 2013
Ex-French Air Force. Polish Aviation Museum (Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie), Kraków, Poland.
FISSILE CORE STORAGE –
The fissile cores were stored in small buildings arranged around the large non-nuclear component stores. In total there are 57 of these buildings, which are divided into 48 Type 'A' and 9 Type 'B' stores. The fissile core stores are organised in four uneven groups around the non-nuclear stores. The two southerly groups of stores are arranged symmetrically to the south of the large non-nuclear stores, each group having sixteen small store buildings. The north-eastern group contains eleven stores and the north-west group fourteen. All but the south-east group contained a mixture of Type 'A' and Type 'B' stores.
The store buildings are linked together by pedestrian width walkways, fenced by tubular steel pipes 37in tall with strands of white between the horizontal members. The area was lit by pre-cast concrete lamp-posts, each of which had a red panic button at chest height. The Type 'A' storage buildings 1-48 are small kiosk-like structures. In plan they measure 8ft 4in by 7ft 10in and stand 9ft above ground level. The foundations of the building are constructed of 3ft thick mass concrete. The walls are of cavity wall construction and are formed of solid concrete blocks, while the roof is a flat over-hanging reinforced concrete slab with a drip mould, and is covered with bituminous felt. The design drawing (Drg. No. 3563B/52) shows a variety of irregular roof plans designed to disguise the structures from the air. These were never built, all the roofs being rectangular in plan.
Fittings on the walls indicate that they were all originally protected by copper earthing straps. On the front of many of the stores a stencilled notice records ''Date of last lightning conductor test April - 63''. Internally the walls are finished in unpainted, smooth gritless plaster. The side and rear walls are ventilated by four small controllable ventilators, two at the base of the wall and two at the top. In the floor of each of the Type 'A' stores is a single keyhole shaped cavity. Each hole is 1ft 5in in diameter and 1ft 9in deep. The shaft of the hole measures 10in wide and is 8in long and is shallower than the main hole at 3½in. A scar around the hole suggests it originally contained a vessel with the asphalt brought up around its lip. This is confirmed by the survival of the surrounding lip in similar stores at RAF Faldingworth, Lincolnshire, and by the rare survival of a number of stainless steel vessels at the bomb store at RAF Gaydon, Warwickshire.
The electrical system of each store was contained within small bore metal pipes; circular junction boxes led to other electrical fittings, which have in most cases been removed. In a number of the stores 'Walsall' Type 1174X flameproof switch boxes remained. On their covers is cast ''5 Amp 250 Volt Flameproof switchbox type Walsall 1174BX Group 2 FLP 302 Group 3 Test P60 Isolate supply elsewhere before removing this cover''. A small formica sign confirmed that ''The electrical installation in this building is standard 'A' in accordance with AP 2608A''. All the stores originally had external fuse boxes to the left of their doors.
The doors are wooden and open outwards, their outer faces being protected by a steel sheet. They are secured by a combination lock and internal vertical locking bar operated by an external handle. A metal fitting in the path allowed the door to be secured half ajar. Above the door, and attached to its frame, is a spring-loaded electrical contact, which probably recorded on the control board in building 63 whether or not the door was open or closed. Externally and internally the doors are painted light blue. On the door of building No. 1 is a 1ft diameter radiation symbol in yellow and out-lined in black, below it is a 11½in yellow square with a black star at its centre.
The Type 'B' store buildings 49-57 are slightly larger than the Type 'A' measuring 9ft 7in by 7ft 10n. Otherwise the details of the stores are identical to the smaller stores. The principle difference between the two types of structures is that the Type 'B ' had two storage holes in their floors. Each of these buildings was also equipped with a small wooden counter adjacent to the doors; the counters measure 2ft 6in by 1ft 6in and standing 4ft tall. They have been removed from stores 53 and 55. At some point during the operational life of the station the holes in the floors of all the Type 'B' stores were filled and covered by gritless asphalt. The asphalt surfaces in the stores are continuous, often with a slight depression marking the position of the holes, which implies that the original floor was lifted and new floors laid. The holes in store 52 have been reopened, as indicated by fragments of the asphalt surface thrown back into the holes. This is in contrast to RAF Faldingworth where the holes have been left open.
In total there were enough holes to store 66 fissile cores. One source states that the single hole stores contained plutonium cores, while the double-hole stores were, used for cobalt cores. Currently available documentation does not reveal if one fissile core may be equated with one bomb, or if a bomb contained more than one fissile core. Recent research has shown that Britain probably produced no more than twenty Blue Danube warheads, with this number on the active stockpile between 1957 and 1961. It is therefore likely that no more than a handful of weapons were stored at RAF Barnham at anyone time.
The significance of the filling of the holes in the Type 'B' stores is also unclear. It may coincide with the withdrawal of the first generation nuclear weapon, ''Blue Danube'', and the deployment second generation atomic bomb, ''Red Beard'' (from 1961), or it may be related to the introduction of first British hydrogen bomb, ''Yellow Sun'' (from 1958). Given the number of available nuclear warheads in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, it is unlikely that the RAF Barnham store was ever full. Part of RAF Barnham's function, along with other bomb stores, was to convince the Soviet Union that Britain had more nuclear weapons at her disposal than was in fact the case.
Information sourced from English Heritage.