View allAll Photos Tagged built

CAPSTONE spacecraft, built by Terran Orbital and owned and operated by Advanced Space, being prepared for payload integration at Rocket Lab Launch Complex 1

Built by the then Bristol Aeroplane Company.

 

2 litre straight six.

 

Design heavily influenced by BMW 326/327/328.

 

Just 487 examples produced.

Built for the LUG Brasil expo in the Anime Friends convention.

Kubuswoningen / Cubic houses

 

De kubuswoningen in Rotterdam zijn 38 kubusvormige paalwoningen en 13 bedrijfskubussen bij de Blaak nabij de Oude Haven. Ze zijn gebouwd tussen 1982 en 1984, na een eerste presentatie van de plannen in 1978. Het ontwerp van Piet Blom is een variant op de Helmondse kubuswoning in een iets groter maatraster. Het viaduct op één hoog heet officieel de Overblaak, maar het hele complex staat bekend als het Blaakse Bos. De kubuswoningen zijn gebouwd in de vorm van een gekantelde kubus op een paal, en worden ook wel paalwoning of boomwoning genoemd.

 

The cube houses in Rotterdam are 38 cube-shaped stilt houses and 13 commercial cubes at Blaak near the Oude Haven (Old Harbour). They were built between 1982 and 1984, following an initial presentation of the plans in 1978. Piet Blom's design is a variation on the Helmond cube house, with a slightly larger grid. The viaduct on the first floor is officially called Overblaak, but the entire complex is known as the Blaakse Bos (Blaak Forest). The cube houses are built in the shape of a tilted cube on a stilt and are also known as stilt houses or tree houses.

 

Built in 1890 as part of Bucharest's fortifications belt, it later housed those opposed to the communist ideology (1921-1964) "On arrival in Jilava prison, detainees were forced to go through a "tunnel" formed by guards seated in two rows and armed with bats, tails axes and spades, brooms, comes ox and batons" As with most prisons, like Doftana it has a very horrific history. If you would like to read a detailed history, you can find it here:

anp.gov.ro/web/penitenciarul-bucuresti-jilava/fortul-13-j...

Built in 1935-1939, this Modern house, an example of Organic Architecture, was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the family of department store owner Edgar J. Kaufmann, Sr. to serve as a weekend retreat. The house was a catalyst for the revitalization of Frank Lloyd Wright’s career, who was in his mid-60s at the time, along with two other commissions around the same time, the Johnson Wax Headquarters and the Jacobs House I, which were critically acclaimed and explored a bold new direction of organic architecture that was heavily inspired from their natural surroundings, and were streamlined, dropping most of the ornamental pretenses of his earlier work. The house was built for department store owner Edgar J. Kaufmann, Sr., his wife, Liliane Kaufmann, and their only son, Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., to serve as the family’s weekend retreat, with room to accommodate a small staff and guests alongside the family. The Kaufmann family became acquainted with the work of Wright through Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., who read Frank Lloyd Wright’s autobiography in 1934, and was so impressed that he decided to intern at the Taliesin Fellowship, where Edgar, Sr. and Liliane first met Wright while visiting Edgar, Jr. The family, at the time, resided in a traditional-style mansion in Fox Chapel, near Pittsburgh, and had a small rustic cabin overlooking the waterfall at the Fallingwater site. The cabins were falling into disrepair in the mid-1930s, which prompted the Kaufmann family to contact Wright to design a replacement structure. Wright visited and surveyed the area around Bear Run in 1934, but shelved the project while pursuing other work for the next few months, thinking through the design, before being surprised by a visit from Edgar J. Kaufmann, Sr. in September 1935, which prompted Wright to quickly draw a concept for a house at Bear Run, producing the initial design drawings in two hours. Edgar, Sr., upon seeing the plans, was surprised to see the house soaring above the waterfall, as he had expected it to sit below the falls in order to view them from a distance, but Wright’s charisma convinced a skeptical Kaufmann to buy into the concept.

 

The house was designed by Wright with input from structural engineers Mendel Glickman and William Wesley Peters to feature large cantilevers, which allowed it to embrace the waterfall and topography below, while providing ample outdoor space and the desired number of bedrooms and living spaces within. A second wing was constructed above the main house, linked to it via a covered breezeway, which houses a carport, servants quarters, and a guest suite. The stone utilized in the house’s construction was quarried on the site, and it utilized reinforced concrete in its construction, a building technique with which Wright was inexperienced, but which the design would be impossible to implement without utilizing. Kaufmann was skeptical of Wright’s experience with the technique, as well as the cantilevered forms of the structure, and commissioned an engineering report, compiled by an engineering firm, which caused Wright to threaten to walk away from the incomplete project. Kaufmann relented in the face of Wright’s ultimatum, and had the documents buried. However, the contractor, feeling uneasy about the strength of Wright’s design, added extra reinforcement in secret, which was revealed during the building’s restoration. Other changes were made due to skepticism of the cantilevered design, but many of these were reversed, which proved the resiliency and strength of the design. The house came in far over budget, but despite these cost overruns and complications with the design, the Kaufmann family enjoyed it as a weekend retreat between 1937 and 1963. Liliane Kaufmann died in 1952, and Edgar Kaufmann, Sr. died in 1955, leaving the house to their son, Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., who continued to utilize the house as a weekend retreat, with his life partner, Paul Mayén, becoming a regular visitor to the house as well. In 1963, Edgar, Jr. donated the property to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, along with the surrounding property, which was converted into a nature reserve, and the house was opened for public tours.

 

The house features multiple reinforced concrete cantilevers, wrap-around windows facing the falls and Bear Run, open, transparent corners on the side of the building facing the creek, stone cladding on the more opaque portions of the facade, large terraces on the cantilevered portions of the building, open tread staircases inside and outside the building, red metal trim, a suspended concrete canopy over the breezeway connecting the guest wing and carport with the main house, a swimming pool on the terrace outside the guest wing, rocks embedded into the floors of the interior of the house, a staircase from the living room down to Bear Run below, and red concrete floors inside. A driveway, following Bear Run, crosses a bridge next to the main wing of the house before following a narrow corridor between the main wing and an adjacent stone outcropping, before turning and arriving at the upper wing, which originally housed a four-bay carport on the lower floor. The interior of the house is very open to the exterior, with low furnishings that allow for maximization of the views out of the windows, and is home to art that was collected by Liliane, books collected by Edgar, Jr. and Paul, and furnishings collected by Edgar, Sr. The house’s kitchen features yellow-painted metal cabinets and appliances, and chrome handles, the living room features a fireplace with a spherical beverage warmer that is designed to swing over to the fireplace from its storage location next to the fireplace and coffered ceilings, and horizontal bands of trim, and various portions of the house feature built-in desks, cabinets, wooden slat screens, and bookshelves, simple beds featuring wooden headboards and nightstands in the bedrooms, and bathrooms with cork tiles, sunken bathtubs, ceiling-mounted shower heads, and toilets with wall-embedded tanks. The upper wing of the house has a carport and guest suite on the lower floor, with servants quarters above, and the main house features a living room, dining room, kitchen, terraces and lounge on the first floor, a primary suite and secondary bedroom and bathroom with large terraces on the second floor, and a suite intended for Edgar, Jr. on the third floor, which was later partially converted into an office. The house is very broad in the direction parallel to Bear Run and has a living room that cantilevers over the creek, but it is very thin, being rather thin, with primary interior spaces featuring windows that look out onto Bear Run below. The house, despite its size appearing massive due to its spatial arrangement, has only a small interior square footage, but the space is efficiently designed to offer maximum utility to the occupants, and allow a close connection with nature.

 

The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It was designated as part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, in 2019. A visitor center was constructed on the property in 1977-1979, designed by Paul Mayen. The most visible modification to the house since it was opened to the public were the enclosure of three carport bays to house a museum and presentation space for visitors. The house underwent major alterations to its structural systems in 1995-2002, involving analyzing the performance of the cantilevers over time since the house’s construction, as the bold cantilevered forms had insufficient reinforcement and had deflected substantially, nearing their failure points. Additional steel supports and post-tensioning in the form of steel cables were added to the building to support the cantilevers, which has halted the progression of the deflection of the structure, though it is monitored by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy in order to detect any further movement of the structure. The house today sees over one-hundred thousand visitors annually, and is one of the most well-known works of Wright, as well as being one of the best-known houses in the United States.

Built 1906 for Alex Harris and Company. DCC Archives, Planning Series, Red Negative Folder, 33

Built from the top down.

Built up with a mixed Dura Ace/Miche group, eeBrakes and Compass Chinook Pass Extralights in 28mm, the bike weighs 17lbs.

Thomas Built Minotour E450 Ford

Seats 24C 16A

Former Pine Bush (New to Wallkill Summer 2013)

One of ???? (550, 552, 554, 555, 556 and 557 have all been seen)

Built in 1904 this building originally provided the offices of an Insurance company. It now houses the "Ludwig" coffee bar and a fitness centre, complete with sauna, sunbeds and boxing ring.

 

The thing about converging verticals is that if you can't avoid them then make them so obvious that they could not be accidental.

 

I backed up as far as I could but even with a 16mm lens I had to tilt the camera to get the whole building in and had no room to modify the converging verticals in post-processing. But that was on an APS-H camera, which makes it a 21mm equivalent. This really needs to be revisited with the same focal length on a "Full Frame" camera or, if that does not do the job, with a Tilt-Shift lens.

Built 2008

IMO 9333175

Tonnage 116017

Flag Bermuda

Owner P&O Cruises

County Road 794 will be built by S Blue Angel Pkwy 32506 with newer Roads & Places on May 18, 2019 is:

 

2 Places for S Blue Angel Pkwy 32506:

Jim C. Bailey State College.

Krusty Wings.

 

2 Places for County Road 794:

Joshua Dufurrena Middle School & High School.

Joshua Dufurrena Preschool & Elementary School.

 

2 Places for Paul Drive:

Krusty Burger.

The Krusty Krab.

 

Newer Roads:

PJ Adams Pkwy.

SpongeBob Squidward & Patrick Blvd.

Teacher Blvd.

Jim C. Bailey Blvd.

Papaw Duffman Blvd.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Blvd.

VeggieTales Blvd.

SpongeBob Blvd.

Bushwell Plaza Blvd.

Collapsible Grabber Blvd.

Brochure Blvd.

Premiere Blvd.

Sesame Street Blvd.

Follow That Bird Blvd.

2041-2086 Blvd.

2013-2030 Blvd.

Puppy Blvd.

Paul Blvd.

October Blvd.

Walton Blvd.

Paul Drive.

Holms Blvd.

 

Note:

Joshua Dufurrena Preschool & Elementary School will be a school for only 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 and 12 year old students being Pre K for only 5 and 6 year old students & being Kindergarten 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th Grade for only 7 8 9 10 11 and 12 year old students.

Joshua Dufurrena Middle School & High School will be a school for only 13 14 15 16 17 18 and 19 year old students being in 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th and 12th Grade.

 

Note:

County Road 794 was supposed to be built by S Blue Angel Pkwy 32506 with newer Roads & Places on January 9, 2000 & be finished & open on January 15, 2001 but when nothing happened it got delayed & moved forward to May 18, 2019.

 

Note:

Joshua Dufurrena Preschool & Elementary School & Joshua Dufurrena Middle School & High School & Jim C. Bailey State College will have 114 Women Teachers & 238 Men Teachers & all women P.E. Teachers & it will have a P.E. Room having a swimming pool, climbing walls, changing room in boys room and girls room for students to put on swimsuits, workout clothes, & back into their regular clothes after P.E. and also have swings, bounce house, slides, & beach chairs, & other P.E. Stuff & in the lunchroom the restaurants will be in for free without money is: KFC, Ryan's Buffet, Barnhill's Buffet, The Krusty Krab, Krusty Wings, Krusty Burger, Waffle House, Jack In The Box, Hungry Howie's Pizza, Pizza Hut, & all restaurants in the lunchroom and you won't need money to pay lunch in them schools cause they will be free to eat and drink all the time everyday and every year & also it will have a reading room where they can do SuccessMaker, Fast Forward, Spelling City, & BrainPop on the computer, & it will have a Math room where they can do Fastt Math, Cool Math, & all other math websites on the computer & it will have a room with places filled with Waterslides having places like Waterville USA, Big Kahuna's Water & Adventure Park, Enchanted Forest Water Safari, & all other Water Parks & it will have a room filled with places Fast Eddies Fun Center, Funk E Fester's, Five Flags Speedway, Pensacola Pelicans, Chuck E Cheese's, Blue Wahoo's, & other places & it will have a science room watching Bill Nye The Science Guy & other science movies and in them 3 schools it will have upstairs and elevators for everyone and also Joshua Dufurrena Preschool & Elementary School & Joshua Dufurrena Middle School & High School & Jim C. Bailey State College will start at 6:08am-3:05pm every monday through friday every year and also it will have a playground room filled with swings slides and other stuff and also it will have restrooms in the hall saying teachers room and boys room and girls room and also it will have a gym room for students having the gym similar to them from Jim C. Bailey Middle School & Escambia High School where the students will play basketball and volleyball and also it will have a clinic room for students if they get hurt or sick and it will have 74 Men Principals & 57 Women Principals and also if all students act up or cause more problems in Joshua Dufurrena Preschool & Elementary School & Joshua Dufurrena Middle School & High School then all students will have to repeat 3rd Grade 1 time & 11th Grade 4 times & if students fail also in Jim C. Bailey State College then they will go take college again for 3 years and also in Joshua Dufurrena Preschool & Elementary School & Joshua Dufurrena Middle School & High School & Jim C. Bailey State College it will have a bowling room filled with Bowling Places like De Luna Lanes, Circle Lanes, & other bowling places & it will have a music room where the students will sing songs & watch Disney's Sing Along Songs on Television & if the students want to do Special Olympics Day with their P.E. Teacher then they can sign up for it in P.E. Class and also it will have a track outside for students to walk and run on and also it will have a cousin adoption room where students can adopt their friends to be like their new cousins and it will have papaw room where students can get their men teacher to be like their papaw & also if teachers put students in time out corner and chair then their teacher will go to prison for 6 years.

Built in 1939 to train anti aircraft gunners. Occupied in 1943 by the US Army Corps of Engineers as part of the build up to the D-Day Landings. Currently a training camp.

Lehde Open-air Museum: Farm buildings from the periphery of the Spreewald. At the left edge you see a farmhouse from Kittlitz, built in 1775, and in the centre a house from Suschow, built for the old parents of a farmer's family.

 

Am Rande des Spreewalds besaßen die Bauern Anbauflächen von etwa 7 bis 15 Hektar, abhängig von der Qualität des Bodens. Damit hatten sie bessere Voraussetzung für die Landwirtschaft als im inneren Spreewald, wo alle Generationen sich ein Haus oder sogar eine Stube teilen mussten. Daher konnte man sich leisten, für die ältere Generation auf dem Hof ein eigenes Haus zu errichten, das sogenannte Auszugshaus.

 

At the periphery of the Spreewald the farmers owned cultivated areas of about 7 to 15 hectares, depending on the quality of the soil. This gave them better conditions for agriculture than in the inner Spreewald, where all generations had to share a house or even a living room. Therefore they could afford to build a separate house on the farm for the older generation.

 

Lehde (Lědy in the local Sorbian language) is a village situated near Lübbenau and meawhile integrated into that town. While Lehde had 298 inhabitants in 1929, only 150 people still live here (as of 2017). The place is a village consisting of many small islands. For centuries, until the early 1950s, Lehde could only be reached by water. Even today, practically all plots of land have their own access to one of the many canals between 0.8 and 1 meter deep, which largely have the function of roads. Postal deliveries and waste collection still take place by water. During the winter months, however, mail is delivered to mailboxes set up by the residents on the landside, by mail bike or car.

Due to the unusual location of Lehde and some preserved historical Spreewald houses, Lehde, which is completely under monumental protection, is a popular destination for tourists. Lehde can also be reached on foot, by bicycle or by car, however, the beauty and special features of the place can be experienced above all from the water side. (Wikpedia.de)

 

The Spreewald (German for 'Spree Forest'; in Lower Sorbian: Błota, i.e. 'the Swamps') is a section of the German state of Brandenburg located about 100 km sou It is known for its traditional irrigation system, consisting of more than 200 small canals (called Fließe; total length: 1,300 kilometres or 810 miles) within the 484-square-kilometre (187 sq mi) area. The landscape was shaped during the last Ice Age. About 50,000 people live in the biosphere reserve (1998). Many of them are descendants of the first settlers in the Spreewald region, the Slavic tribes of the Sorbs and Wends. They have preserved their traditional language, customs and clothing to this day.

Most inhabitants depend on tourism. Many tourists explore the Spreewald in punts. Agriculture, forestry and fishery are other important sources of income. The principal town of the area is Lübbenau. Alder forests on wetlands and pine forests on sandy dry areas are characteristic of the Spreewald region. Grasslands and fields can be found as well. About 18,000 species of flora and fauna have been identified. In 1991, the Spreewald was protected by the UNESCO under its Man and Biosphere Reserve Programme.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreewald

Built to be a pleasure palace for the royal family in 1799, Jal Mahal Palace (translated as Water Palace) of Jaipur is an extremely romantic place with its red sandstone intricate architecture casting beautiful reflections in the calm waters of the Man Sagar Lake, full of hyacinths. Surrounded by Nahargarh Hills, Jal Mahal is known for its majestic architecture and sophisticated design.

Built this when I play with my son

 

bricks from LEGO#5512: XXL Box

RIPTIDE was built in 1927 by Frank E and William J Schertzer. They owned Schertzer Brothers Boat and Machine Company, which was then located at 1115 Northlake Avenue on the north end of Lake Union near the foot of Stone Way in Seattle.

 

RIPTIDE is 47 feet 1-inch long with a beam of 11 feet 10-inches and a draft of four feet. She is planked in port orford cedar riveted to white oak frames over an apitong backbone with western red cedar houses. She displaces about 10 tons, relatively light for a boat this size.

 

RIPTIDE is a Coast Guard documented vessel. She carries documentation number 226242 carved into the interior face of both port and starboard bilge stringers.

 

RIPTIDE is powered by a remanufactured Cummins B210 5.9 liter turbo-charged diesel of 210hp. While her top speed is over 14 knots at 2400 rpm, her cruising speed is a much more sedate 9 knots at 1500 rpm. She carries 300 gallons of diesel fuel.

 

She was overhauled by the Port Townsend Shipwright's Co-Op in Port Townsend WA between April 8th and September 16th, 2015. RIPTIDE was completely recaulked by John Zimmer of Palouse Boatworks, and painted and varnished by Diane Salguero of Salguero Marine Services.

 

RIPTIDE's hailing port is Port Ludlow WA. She is usually moored in Port Madison, on Bainbridge Island, WA.

 

Port Townsend Shipwright's Co-Op:

 

www.ptshipwrights.com/wp/

www.facebook.com/PortTownsendShipwrightsCoOp?fref=ts

 

Salguero Marine:

 

a href="http://salgueromarine.com/" rel="nofollow">salgueromarine.com/

www.facebook.com/marinefinishes

 

Built by Alexander Calder around 1973 and located in the Federal Plaza.

Built the little guy right off of Poker Chips

Built for the seed part challenge at Forbidden Cove

 

History of Fort Travis Seashore Park

 

The Bolivar Peninsula has a long history of fortifications. Many of them were built on the site of the present Fort Travis Seashore Park. In 1816, Frances Xavier Mina, while on an expedition for Spain, constructed an earthen levee to protect himself and his men from the Karankawa Indians.

 

In 1818, Dr. James Long, his wife, Jane (a beautiful former debutante from Natchez, Mississippi) and 300 troops came to Texas to free Texas from Spain. Dr Long established his base of operations at Port Bolivar in 1820. He wished to secure the services of Jean Lafitte who occupied Galveston Island. Lafitte would not help. He had given verbal allegiance to Spain, Mexico, and the United States, but carefully remained aloof from entanglements that might curtail his privateering enterprises. Finally, without aid from any source, Dr. Long and his men set out to capture Presidio La Bahia.

 

Long left Jane, their daughter, and a maid at the rude fort with a few men to protect them. The winter of 1821 was bitterly cold: the "protection" left. Jane Long fired a cannon every morning to let Galveston know the fort was still defended. But who was the enemy? Was it the Spaniards, Mexicans, Lafitte's pirates or the Karankawa Indians?

 

The Karankawas had a bad reputation that survives to this day. They were a tall, nomadic people who refused to be tamed. They kept mosquitos (and the rest of society) at a distance by smearing their bodies with alligator grease and fish oil. The stories of the Karankawas being cannibals are not entirely accurate. They did, at times, consume human flesh during special ceremonies, but not as a regular practice.

 

During the time she was defending the fort. Jane, age 20, was expecting the birth of her third child, In December, during a raging storm, the food ran out, the slave girl became delirious from an illness and Jane delivered her own child. The baby was named Mary and was the first baby of English descent to be born in Texas.

 

Because of her heroism, Jane Long is often called "The Mother of Texas". Jane refused to leave until the following July when she received word that her husband had been killed. She later ran a rooming house in Richmond. During the Civil War the fortification on Bolivar Point was Fort Green -- for the Confederate soldiers.

 

In 1898, along with federal development of the Port of Galveston, construction on the present Fort Travis was begun. The fort was completed in 1899. The fort was heavily damaged during the 1900 storm. Repairs included the present 15 foot sea wall around the fort. During World War I Fort Travis garrisoned troops defending the Port of Galveston and its approaches.

 

In 1942, the fort was enlarged and 2,500 troops were stationed there. Several sizes of guns were installed, from anti-aircraft up to 16 inch long range rifles. When the war ended, Fort Travis was declared surplus property, dismantled, and in 1949 sold to private interests. The 60 acre park was acquired through a Moody Foundation grant in 1976 and is operated by the Galveston County Beach and Parks Department.

 

Today, the park includes the seawall, broad grassy areas, oleanders, winding roads, well equipped play grounds, picnic tables and bar-b-que grills. Cabanas and campsites are available for rental.

 

.1937 RHD British built Chrysler Convertible.In the USA They were sold as Plymouths,Chassis/ Drivetrains for Export were badged as Chryslers.

Built for Bio-Cup 2025 Preliminary Round

 

Theme: Dream

 

White Chapell built by Senusret I - 1971 BCE to 1926 BCE, Open Air Museum Karnak;

Pillar 1. Scene 4 - (KIU 1098) Detail

Built in 1906-1917, this Beaux Arts-style Capitol Building was designed by George B. Post to house the state house of representatives, state senate, and offices for the Wisconsin State Government. The fourth state capitol to house the state government since the state’s establishment in 1848, the building is the third building to sit on the present site, and replaced the previous state capitol, built in 1857-1869 and expanded in 1882, which burned down in February of 1904. The capitol houses both the Wisconsin State Assembly and the Wisconsin State Senate, as well as the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the Office of the Governor of Wisconsin. The first capitol of Wisconsin upon the formation of Wisconsin Territory in 1836 was in the village of Belmont, Wisconsin, with the legislature meeting in a hastily constructed wood-frame building, before deciding to designate the future site of Madison as the state capitol, and holding further sessions of the legislature in the much better-developed Mississippi River port town of Burlington (now in Iowa) until a capitol building could be completed in Madison. Upon Burlington becoming part of the new Iowa Territory, the state legislature moved to a log and stone building on the present site of the state capitol, a relatively humble Greek Revival-style building constructed in 1837, which looked much like older capitol buildings in the eastern United States, with doric columns and a rusticated fieldstone exterior. It was most similar to the Old State House in North Carolina, built only four years prior, and the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois, built in the same year, though these two similar buildings were built almost entirely of stone blocks rather than fieldstone. The small second capitol building was the first state capitol of Wisconsin upon its ascension to statehood in 1848, but had become inadequate for the growing population and government by the 1850s. The original building was demolished and replaced with a larger, Classical Revival-style structure with Romanesque Revival elements constructed in stages between 1857 and 1869, which featured a dome inspired by the United Capitol Building, semi-circular porticoes with corinthian columns, and two short side wings with octagonal towers at the corners, which were modified and extended in 1882 with new wings that increased the Classical Revival aspects of the building and helped to downplay the Romanesque Revival elements that originally were very prominent on the structure. This building was oriented with the semi-circular original porticoes aligned with State Street and King Street, with the wings being oriented towards both sections of Hamilton Street, though the building appeared rather small within the large parklike expanse of Capitol Square. By the turn of the 20th Century, the old Capitol had become inadequate for the growing needs of Wisconsin, which had become wealthy, industrialized, and heavily populated by that point, so study of a replacement capitol building began in 1903. In February 1904, the old State Capitol burned to the ground when a gas jet ignited a newly varnished ceiling inside the building, which spread quickly despite the building featuring a then-advanced sprinkler system, as the reservoir of the nearby University of Wisconsin was empty, which allowed the fire to spread out of control. The north wing of the building, built in 1882, was the only portion that survived, with many relics, records, and important historical items being lost in the fire, though the state law library was saved thanks to efforts by University of Wisconsin students. The fire also happened just after the state legislature had voted to cancel the fire insurance policy on the building, thinking it was a costly and unnecessary folly.

 

The present building was built on the site of the previous building, with the construction process focusing on completing each wing one at a time to provide space to the state government with as much fiscal efficiency as possible due to financial limitations. Due to this, the north wing was built last to allow the remaining portion of the previous capitol to serve as space for the state government during the construction period, with the central rotunda and dome also being built after the other three wings had been completed, as they serve a more symbolic and less utilitarian purpose than the rest of the building. The building stands 284 feet (86 meters) tall to the top of the statue on the dome, which was sculpted in 1920 by Daniel Chester French, and is a personification of the state of Wisconsin, with the outstretched arm of the statue representing the state motto, “Forward”. The exterior of the building is clad in Bethel white granite, sourced from Vermont, with an additional 42 types of stone from a total of eight states and six countries being utilized on the interior of the building. The dome is the largest in the world to be entirely clad in granite, and is the tallest building in Madison, with a state law passed in 1990 stipulating that any building within a one-mile radius of the capitol is limited in height to the base of the columns of the dome, which stand at 187 feet, which preserves the visibility of the building from the surrounding landscape. The building has a greek cross footprint with four five-story wings that are aligned with the compass directions and radial streets following the compass directions that slice through the surrounding street grid, which is at a 45-degree angle to compass directions, instead roughly paralleling the shorelines of nearby Lake Mendota and Lake Monona, with Downtown Madison sitting on an isthmus between the two lakes. This places the building at a unique 45-degree angle orientation relative to the edges of Capitol Square and most buildings on adjacent streets. The building was one of the last works of the prolific architect George B. Post, whom died before the building was completed. The building underwent a major renovation in the 1970s that added modern features to the interior and covered up many original features, with later projects between 1988 and 2002 restoring the building while updating the building’s systems and functions for the modern needs of the state government.

 

The exterior of the building’s wings feature porticoes on the ends with corinthian columns, arched windows on the third floor, rusticated bases with entrance doors and decorative keystones, decorative reliefs featuring festoons over the windows on the porticoes, cornices with modillions and dentils, and pediments with sculptural reliefs, which were created by several sculptors, and have different symbolism embodied by their design. On the east wing, which is home to the Wisconsin Supreme Court, the sculpture known as Law, created by Karl Bitter, is located on the portico pediment, on the west wing, which houses the chamber of the Wisconsin Assembly, is a sculpture known as Agriculture, also created by Karl Bitter, on the north wing, which is home to a hearing chamber, is the sculpture known as Virtues and Traits of Character, created by Adolph Alexander Weinman, and on the south wing, which houses the chamber of the Wisconsin Senate, is a sculpture known as Wisdom and Learning of the World, created by Attilio Piccirilli. The sides of the wings feature simpler cornices with dentils, pilasters and recessed window openings with arched openings at the ground floor, windows with decorative pedimented headers on the second floor, arched windows on the third floor, two small two-over-two windows on the fourth floor, and a recessed fifth floor features small paired windows, hidden behind a balustrade that runs around the entirety of the building minus the ends of the wings, concealing a low-slope roof at the setbacks on the sides of the wings and above the corner porticoes. The upper roofs of the wings are low-slope with front gabled portions in the middle punctured by skylights, with the roof being almost entirely enclosed by a parapet. At the center of the building in the inside corners of the greek cross are semi-circular portions of the facade with semi-circular two-story ionic porticos with large terraces and grand staircases featuring decorative copper lampposts, decorative stone balustrades, concealed entrances to the ground floor underneath the terraces, and three doorways on the upper level, with drums surrounded by buttresses featuring small windows and domed roofs above the balustrade on the fifth floor. In the center of the building is the rotunda, which is topped with a large dome that rises from a tall base that terminates in a balustrade, with a low-slope roof at the base of the drum of the dome, which features a level with small windows at the base, with projected pavilions at the corners above the semi-circular porticoes below, which were originally to support four smaller domes, but ended up supporting sculptures by Karl Bitter, symbolizing strength, faith, prosperity, and abundance and knowledge. The drum of the dome is surrounded by a corinthian colonnade with corinthian pilasters on the exterior wall of the dome behind the colonnade, arched windows, and recessed decorative panels at the top of the colonnade below the architrave. Above the architrave is a cornice with modillions and dentils, above which is another balustrade, accessed via doors from the interior space above the inner dome of the rotunda, and ringed by six-over-six windows, pilasters, and a cornice with egg and dart motif at the top. Above this last cornice is the dome, which is ribbed, with the ribs terminating in voluted upside down brackets at the base, and clad in granite, terminating at the top at a balustrade around the base of the lantern. The cylindrical landern features corinthian columns, arched windows, festoons, with a concavely sloped roof featuring rubs terminating in volutes, above which is the base of the Wisconsin statue, which is coated in gold leaf.

 

The interior of the building is richly decorated with Beaux Arts detailing, utilizing plaster, a diverse array of stone and woodwork, engaged columns and pilasters, murals, vaulted ceilings, decorative balustrades, grand staircases, and modern oak furniture. The interior dome features a mural by Edwin Howland Blashfield, known as Resources of Wisconsin, which sits in the middle of the dome’s coffered ceiling, above the upper balcony at the base of the drum. The rotunda features green and white marble corinthian columns with gold leaf on the capitals, vaulted alcoves on the sides with coffered ceilings, a stone floor, and features marble from Tennessee, Missouri, Vermont, Georgia, New York, and Maryland, granite from Wisconsin and Minnesota, limestone from Minnesota and Illinois, marble from France, Italy, Greece, Algeria and Germany, and syenite from Norway. A large circular opening in the floor of the center of the rotunda allows light into the lower level of the building, and is supported by a ring of square columns underneath. The light fixtures in the space are a combination of lampposts and sconces. The pendentives below the drum of the dome in the rotunda are decorated with glass mosaics by artist Kenyon Cox. The interior’s decoration denotes hierarchy of space, with the level of detail varying throughout the building’s interior from simple offices and service areas to the grand public spaces, such as the rotunda and government meeting chambers. The two-story senate chamber is circular with marble cladding, corinthian columns, and pilasters on the walls, a decorative ceiling with a central shallow domed decorative glass skylight, and coffers with rosettes, with murals above the main podium, and balconies inside the alcoves behind the columns for spectators and observers. The two-story assembly chamber features a similar shallow domed decorative glass skylight on the ceiling, but is square in shape with decorative pendentives and arches on the perimeter of the space opening into alcoves with vaulted ceilings, with wood paneling and a large mural behind the main podium, and balconies in the upper level of the alcoves. The supreme court chamber is square with a square decorative glass skylight in the room’s coffered ceiling, white marble pilasters, paneling, and murals on the walls, and arched niches housing candelabra-type lamppost light fixtures. The north wing hearing chamber features a massive cove ceiling with decorative trim and murals, with a large square decorative glass skylight in the middle, and walls lined with ionic pilasters and stone panels. The Governor’s Conference Room, located in the east wing, features a heavily decorated ceiling with multiple coffers housing murals, decorative stained woodwork, a fireplace with a decorative marble surround flanked by two corinthian columns, and gold leaf on some of the trim. The interior of the building is even more richly detailed than the exterior.

 

The building, which has been fully modernized and restored to some semblance of its original appearance, remains the seat of the government of Wisconsin, presently the 25th largest by land area and 20th largest by population in the United States. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, owing to its historical and architectural significance, and was listed as a National Historic Landmark in 2001. The building visually dominates the isthmus that makes up Downtown Madison, and sits in the city’s central square, one of the most visually impressive and stunning sitings of any capitol building in the United States.

Built in 1901/2 -architect William Lethaby - a marriage between the Arts and Crafts movement and Neo-Gothic.

Built in approximately 1870, Eli Hawkins from Missouri constructed this greenhouse within his California estate. Heritage Park, Santa Fe Springs, California.

Built in North America

This tram was built in 1928 and originally operated in Porto, Portugal. Where it stayed in operation untill 1995.

It represents a style of tramcar common in regions with warm weather, which necessitated designs that allowed for better air circulation.

Home built by Eugen Kutscher from Germany. The three-wheeler microcar was equipped with a 4-cylinder 1131cc Volkswagen engine in the back, of which two cylinders were disabled. It was considered a 565cc 2-cylinder engine. Two Solex downdraught carburetors were fitted: one carb per cylinder. The gearbox and rear wheels were also taken from a VW Beetle. Most of the body panels were taken from a Gutbrod saloon, while the front axle, steering components and windows came from a Goliath. The area under the hood housed a large teardrop petrol tank and the spare 16-inch VW wheel was mounted on top of the inner body panel to make room for the passenger’s legs.

The six-volt battery sat up front beside the spare wheel. The car had a full length roll back sun-roof, which incorporated the rear window. There was no room for luggage; all room was filled up with the tank, battery and spare wheel.

Info and photos found on www.autopuzzles.com. This image is colorized.

 

Australia.

The Mk II Ford Consul/ Zephyr/ Zodiac was built in the UK from 1956-62.

Before 1959 was the ‘highline’ model. In 1959, the ‘lowline’ had a lower roofline, the Zephyr now had a horizontal bar grille and a new instrument cluster.

Consul; base model 4 cyl, mesh grille

Zephyr; mid spec 6cyl, more elaborate grill.

Zodiac, luxury model; 6cyl, 2 tone paint, elaborate rear fascia and gold badges.

In the UK, most Mk II Zephyrs were 4 door Sedans, (independent coach builders Carbodies built some convertibles and Abbott, some Estates).

The Mk II was also built in Australia. Sedans, Station Wagons and Coupe Utilities were produced, their station wagons differed from the Abbott estates by having a wind-up rear window and a straight C pillar.

New Zealand assembly of the Mark II, from CKD kits, now included the Zodiac.

Engine; 86 or 90hp 156 cu in 6 cyl

On the left side, a seat I made back in 1976 out of bits and pieces of plastic, using a drawing not unlike this one. I was *going* to make an accurate F-8 out of the old Revell 1/68 or 1/69 kit- just a bit bigger than 1/72, that's for sure. So I made this seat and I started scratch building a cockpit, robbed an Airfix A-7 kit for the windscreen. Eventually I stopped working on it and waited for a better kit to come along. :)

 

Building the old Revell kit out of the box is nice, rebuilding it to be an accurate 1/72 model is pushing a LOT of water up hill with a broom.

 

On the right side is my 'improved' version of the Hasegawa 1/72 kit seat, with some filing down to better thickness and shape, and the some build-up using little bits for the inverted "U" shaped parachute container, the back pad, and the face curtain box at the top. Bits and bobs were added to suggest structure, and I repeated the safety pin ditty-bag I'd built so long ago- a thick piece of plastic for the pocket, a thinner piece, overlapping and at an angle, for the cover. You can see a low quality olive-drab paint on the bag on the left seat. Trust me, there's one on the right hand seat too. It'll show better after I paint it.

  

YIMG_5686

Built 1892 and cutting a dash across Milford Haven

Built in 2012-13 directly north of the older 1884 Pottawatomie County Courthouse, this justice center was designed by the firms of Treanor Architects and Ziimmershied Architects.

1 2 ••• 49 50 52 54 55 ••• 79 80