View allAll Photos Tagged bluestone

speed shot of the glow-stones from Barleben/Germany

Travelling up the Western Freeway there are a number of roadworks being developed to widen the road. I noticed this bluestone church sitting nearly on the edge of the road, it is obviously remaining put as there has been a special road made so parishiners came still attend. We pulled off to the side so I could capture the old bluestone buliding. There were a couple of ladies working inside, I asked if it was ok to take a photo & they gave me their blessings, very proud of their old church, the lady commented how she was married there & still going 36 years on. Looks like a new roof too, so the old church must be doing ok.

The Great Western Steam Up was held on the grounds of the Nevada State Railroad Museum from July 1 – July 4, 2022, in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Nine operating steam locomotives were featured with many more on display. The event was billed as the largest reunion of existing V&T locomotives in over 75 years.

 

Daily events included rides behind visiting narrow and standard-gauge steam locomotives, a daily pageant of steam locomotives, historical vehicle and equipment displays, local food trucks, live entertainment, and “lost art” demonstrations.

 

This image is from the third day of the event, July 3.

 

The featured locomotives were:

 

Glenbrook, narrow gauge 2-6-0 (Baldwin 1875) built for the Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming Company and used at Glenbrook, Nevada, along with an identical twin, Tahoe (see NCNG 5, below). It last ran in the 1920s and was acquired by the Nevada County Narrow Gauge for parts. In the 1940s it was placed on exhibit at the Nevada State Museum in Carson City and beginning in 1981 was restored to service (completed in 2015). It has been returned to its 1875 appearance.

 

No. 1, Joe. Douglass, narrow gauge 0-4-2T (H. K. Porter 1882) built for the Dayton, Sutro & Carson Valley Railroad. It operated at a mine in Dayton, Nevada, and later helped build Lake Arrowhead dam in California. It was cosmetically restored to its present appearance in 1994 and is displayed at the Nevada State Railroad Museum. It is a wood burner, but not operational.

 

No. 1, narrow gauge 0-4-0T (Porter 1889) built for the Sacramento Brick Company. It was later acquired by Hal Wilmunder and operated on his private Antelope & Western Railroad near Roseville, California. The engine is now owned and cared for by the Wilmunder family, and can usually be seen at the NCNG Museum in Nevada City, Calif.

 

No. 1, standard gauge 2-truck Heisler (Heisler Locomotive Works 1916), built for Bluestone Mining & Smelting. It originally worked on a 2.5 mile line near Mason, Nevada, before being acquired by a quarry in California. This oil-fired locomotive is owned by Chris Baldo and sees frequent use at Roots of Motive Power in Willits, California.

 

No. 1, Lyon, standard gauge 2-6-0 (Gentry/Strasburg/Kloke) which is a partially completed replica of the first locomotive built for the Virginia & Truckee. The original was manufactured by the Union Iron Works of San Francisco in 1869. The full-scale working replica was donated to the Nevada State Railroad Museum by Stan Gentry, builder, and is being completed by the museum shop staff. It will burn wood as did the original.

No. 3, standard gauge 0-4-0T (Porter 1909) built for the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company. Upon retirement it was used as a billboard for a chicken restaurant in Stockton, California. It was restored to service by Stathi Pappas beginning in 2006 and is currently located at the Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad in Folsom, California. Nicknamed “Chiggen,” it is oil-fired.

 

No. 4, Eureka, narrow gauge 4-4-0 (Baldwin 1875), built for the Eureka & Palisade Railroad. Retired in 1938, it was later featured in several Hollywood movies. This classic wood-fired locomotive was restored by Dan Markoff in the 1980s and is usually kept at his home in North Las Vegas, Nevada.

 

No. 5, Tahoe, narrow gauge 2-6-0 (Baldwin 1875) built for the Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming Company and used in logging service. It was later sold to the Nevada County Narrow Gauge of Grass Valley, Calif., and was retired in 1942. It then appeared in numerous movies and TV shows for owner Universal Pictures. No. 5 is now part of the NCNG Museum in Nevada City, Calif., and was restored to service in May 2022. This oil-fired locomotive has been restored to its 1940s appearance.

 

No. 8, standard gauge 4-4-0 (Cooke Locomotive & Machine Works 1888) built for the Denver, Texas & Fort Worth Railroad, and later operated on the Dardanelle & Russellville in Arkansas. It was used in 1976 on the V&T tourist railroad at Virginia City. Oil fired, it last steamed in the early 2000s.

 

No. 11, Reno, standard gauge 4-4-0 (Baldwin 1872) built for the Virginia & Truckee. The most renown of all V&T’s Americans, the Reno was retired in 1937 and sold to a movie studio. It spent over fifty years at Old Tucson Studios in Arizona before being acquired by the V&T tourist railroad of Virginia City, Nevada, in 2021. It is currently under restoration. Oil fired.

 

No. 12, Genoa, standard gauge 4-4-0 (Baldwin 1873) built for the Virginia & Truckee. It was a back-up locomotive to the Reno and was retired in 1908. For the past 40 years it’s been on indoor static display at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento. It last ran in 1979 and was never converted from burning wood to burning oil, like most V&T 4-4-0s were.

 

No. 18, narrow gauge 4-6-0 (Baldwin 1911), built for the Nevada-California-Oregon and last used by the Southern Pacific. Restored by Carson & Colorado Inc. in 2017 after being on display in an Independence, Calif., park since 1954. It is normally kept at the Eastern California Museum in Independence. Oil fired.

 

No. 18, Dayton, standard gauge 4-4-0 (Central Pacific Sacramento Shops 1873) built for the Virginia & Truckee. Ran on the V&T for nearly seven decades before being acquired by a movie studio. It was cosmetically restored for display in 1982 by the Nevada State Railroad Museum. Oil fired.

 

No. 21, J. W. Bowker, standard gauge 2-4-0 (Baldwin 1875) built for the Virginia & Truckee. Bowker served as a switch engine in Virginia City. It was later purchased by the Sierra Nevada Wood & Lumber Company. Wood-fueled but not currently operational, it has been exhibited at the California State Railroad since 1976. An oil burner, it is not currently operational.

 

No. 22, Inyo, standard gauge 4-4-0 (Baldwin 1875), built for the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. It served in passenger service and was nicknamed “Brass Betsy.” It was later sold to Paramount Pictures and appeared McLintock, Union Pacific, and The Great Locomotive Chase. Restored to operation in 1983 and currently housed at the Nevada State Railroad Museum. Wood fired.

 

No. 25, standard gauge 4-6-0 (Baldwin 1905) built for the Virginia & Truckee to handle both freight and passenger trains. It was the first new steam locomotive purchased by the V&T and replaced older 4-4-0s on the passenger run between Reno and Carson City. Oil fired, it was restored to operation in 1980 and sees frequent service at the Nevada State Railroad Museum.

  

Bluestone State Park, Summers County, Hinton, West Virginia

11/365

It is funny how sometimes my eye sees, what the camera doesn't see... and then there are times, where I think I see something, and it turns out the camera saw different.

A few peaceful minutes late in the evening on the beach at Bluestone Bay near Port Fairy in Victoria, Australia.

Looks like a good spot to start a TFS meetup. (makes a note)

 

Rolleiflex 2.8F - Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm 1:2.8 - Lomography Berlin 400 @ ASA-400

Cinestill D96 (Stock) 6:30 @ 20C

Scanner: Epson V700

Editor: Adobe Photoshop CC

Parkside, South Australia

This sandstone (a feldspathic greywacke) was widely used for sidewalks and the like in New York City, back in the day.

This four storied bluestone mill building dominates the Middleton skyline. Its quoins, parapets and window surrounds are built of local Batson red brick.

 

*"The large and commodious Steam Flour Mill at Middleton is now completed and has added much to the appearance and importance of this rising township.

The engine is an elegant piece of workmanship and is the first, I believe to be erected in the colony upon the new expansive principle." [Ref: Observer 15-12-1855]

 

*The Steam Flour Mill was built in 1855 for Messrs W and A Bowman.

The chimney, which has since been demolished, was built of bluestone and bricks from the nearby Batson's Brickyard.

The mill plant was driven by a 12 horsepower steam engine with a tubular type boiler.

The engine was assembled by Messrs. Tuxford and installed by Josiah Oldfield.

 

Due to the large interior spaces the mill was also used for civic functions. On 23 April 1869 when the railway line from Middleton to Strathalbyn was opened the town’s residents celebrated with a luncheon held in the mill’s storeroom.

The mill was sold in 1889 to Fred Ellis for 1,000 pounds.

 

*Middleton, the intended junction of the Strathalbyn Tramway with the existing line.

There is already a fair start of settlement in the district, the nucleus of it being Mr Bowman’s flour mill. Around it is a cluster of neat cottages. [Southern Argus 4-1-1868]

 

*FIFTY YEARS AGO From the Register Friday December 14 1955.

The large steam flourmill at Middle is now completed. The Engine, manufactured by Messrs Tuxford, is the first erected in the province upon the new expansive principle. It is of 12hp with tubular boiler. [Ref: Register 15-12-1905]

 

*Middleton July 8

One of the largest floods in the district was witnessed on Friday, doing a great deal of damage places, especially to ploughed land in crop.

Traffic in the main road was unable to pass through the town for a time until the water (which was well over the Middleton Creek bridge, and as high as the fences in places) subsided.

Water went through the flour mill and some of the houses. Sand-bagging doorways was the order of the day. The newly planted soldiers’ memorial gardens, and other gardens, suffered.

The train had to go through water a foot deep in the station yard when it arrived. [Re: Observer 22-7-1922]

 

*At a National Trust meeting at Victor Harbor the early history of the district was discussed.

The very first cargo shipped overseas from Port Victor was flour from Bowman’s Mill. It was destined for Dunedin in the schooner ‘Elizabeth’. [Victor Harbour Times 11-4-1968]

 

*Railway line marked town's beginning

The section of land on which the town of Middleton is situated was first purchased on October 25, 1849. by Thomas Walker Higgins at an auction held on September 14, 1849, for 17 pounds and one shilling.

 

When the Goolwa to Port Elliot railway was built a single track was laid down and it was necessary to provide loop lines for the trucks to pass. Two such loops were provided, placed about equidistant from the terminals.

One crossing point was sited at a place later to be called Middleton. The siding was constructed and ready for use in September 1854.

 

It was from the establishment of this siding that the town eventually grew. Mr Higgins could foresee that a township would be an advantage sited on his land and so he had the area surveyed and laid out as a town in October 1856. He named the town Middleton after family associations in Ireland, although he was born in Sussex.

 

However, before the survey had been approved, building had commenced in the immediate area. One of the earliest buildings was the store on the main road which was erected in 1854 by Mr Limbert. Subsequent owners were Mr Heggarton and Mr SW Padman.

 

The largest building in Middleton was, and still is the flour mill. In December 1855, it was reported as being complete. It was built for Messrs W & A Bowman. It was a steam driven mill, power being supplied by a 12 hp engine built by Messrs Tuxford.

Grain ground at this mill, as well as being used locally, was sent up the Murray by paddle steamer and was also shipped first from Port Elliot and later Victor Harbor. In fact the first cargo shipped directly overseas from this latter port was flour ground at Bowman's Mill at Middleton. This was a shipment made to New Zealand. This mill was the largest on the South Coast.

 

At the same time the mill was being built there were already eight houses in the vicinity. The first school was established in 1856 and has continued until the present day [sic] with the number of students fluctuating as the population increased and later decreased. The first examinations for the 59 scholars were held on October 15 1869, supervised by several prominent townspeople in a new classroom erected by the teacher.

 

The Middleton Hotel on the Main Road was licensed in 1857. This building was set back from the road alignment and became the centre of activity of the township and was in demand until it was finally demolished in the early 1920's.

 

About the time the hotel was built one of Middleton's industries was begun, a brickyard operated by Mr W Batson. The works were sited between the town and the beach. His two sons continued the business until the 1920's when the yard was closed.

 

In 1863 a Methodist Church was built on the main road and is still in use.

 

An important event took place in September 1865. A ploughing match was arranged and as a result of the success of this event, the Southern Agricultural Society was formed the following year. The society arranged an annual day, attracting a great number of people and as a result Middleton became the agricultural centre for that area of the South Coast. In 1869 the nucleus of a show was held in the extensive yards adjoining the Middleton Hotel.

 

By 1867 the population had grown to about 200. Mr W Bowman JP was appointed the resident magistrate. On June 15 1867, a race meeting was held on the beach. There were two horses in one race and this was followed by a footrace. In the following year a correspondent described the town as a thriving community dominated by Bowman's Flour Mill. Additionally there were a number of dwellings, a store, a post office, a hotel, a chapel, and several workshops which indicated the prosperity of the town and district at that time.

 

The year 1869 was most significant in the history of Middleton. On Tuesday April 23, the Governor, Sir James Ferguson opened the Strathalbyn to Middleton Railway.

 

The first sod of the new line was turned on August 1 1868, the Governor Sir Dominick Daly, driving down from Adelaide for the occasion.

The earthworks of this line were much more extensive than on the Goolwa to Port Elliot railway. In addition there were three large structures to be erected. The first was over Currency Creek, a second over Black Swamp, and a third over the Finniss River. The foundation stone of the Currency Creek Viaduct was laid in December, 1866, with great ceremony by Mrs Higgin, the wife of the Colonel of the local cavalry. The foundation stone of the Finniss Bridge was laid by the Commissioner of Public Works with full masonic honours four months later. The Black Swamp Viaduct was erected without any pomp or celebration. Unfortunately for posterity the foundation stone of the Finniss Bridge was swept away in a flood six months after it had been laid with so much ceremony.

 

After the completion of the Strathalbyn line, the Government decided to lease the system for five years, the lessee paying an annual rental of 1000 pounds. The experiment was not successful and 13 months later the Government resumed control.

 

The following description of carriages introduced in 1869 proves interesting when compared with today's vehicles. They were built at the Adelaide Workshops and were much lighter than any of their predecessors, weighing only 17cwt. There was accommodation for 30 passengers. The seats of pine were placed transversely, being separated by partitions carried up to roof height. The frames were of blackwood with cedar panelling. The sides were open, protected from the weather being provided by leather blinds, which could be raised or lowered as required.

 

The average speed for passenger trains was from 8.5 to 9.5 miles per hour. Three hours being taken for a trip from Strathalbyn to Victor Harbor, changing horses at Finniss and Midddleton. It was possible to spend a weekend at Victor Harbor, leaving at 2am on Monday morning and transferring to a Hill & Co's coach at Strathalbyn, arriving in Adelaide about 11am. Travel along this line was fairly safe, only one passenger being killed when he fell from a truck and the wheels passed over his body.

 

It was possible to be kicked by a jibbinghorse if you happened to be sitting on the front seat. The usual railway accidents occurred: passengers seemed to prefer falling off to alighting in the usual way, while trucks were derailed by obstacles maliciously placed on the line.

 

They were also derailed in those mysterious circumstances known only to those who work trains. Employees were involved in shunting accidents and one employee lost his arm when a loaded gun, being carried as general merchandise, was accidentally discharged while being removed from under a tarpaulin.

 

Meanwhile a new store was erected on the corner of Thomas Street and the Main Road at Middleton by Mr Pierce. It was purchased by Mr Padman. the Middleton storekeeper who then owned the original shop on the Main Road. For some years is was the residence of Dr Shand and later became a temperance hotel and finally a guest house.

 

A blacksmith's shop for shoeing the horses used on the railway was built at the western end of the town while a similar establishment for use by the local inhabitants was erected on the Main Road and this building is still standing. During 1875 the ticket office on the station platform, which was near the Flour Mill, was extended to house the telegraph instruments and in 1878 a ladies waiting room was added for the convenience of passengers using the railway.

Nearby was a wrought iron goods shed which had been imported to South Australia in pieces and taken to Middleton for assembly. A carpenter’s shop was also established for repairing the railway trucks.

 

About 1880 stables were erected within the town to house the railway horses. About that time there were seven teams operating on the line. The daily timetable required one team of four horses to leave Middleton hauling four trucks each carrying 30 bales of wool for Victor Harbor.

The day's work was finished when the team returned to Middleton. This arrangement caused a lot of inconvenience and lost time in the working schedules and it was felt that had the stables been established at the terminals trucks and horses could be employed more efficently. However this system continued until the introduction of steam locomotives in 1885.

 

With the conversion of the line to steam traction and the diversion of the railway from Currency Creek through Goolwa, Middleton lost much of its importance as a railway town. Its role then became that of a popular holiday resort while still continuing as a centre for the surrounding agricultural area.

 

In 1901 the foundation stone for the Institute, was laid by Mrs R Chibnall on October 19. The building, designed to seat 150 people, was opened on January 15, 1902, by Mr Charles Tucker MP. The new hall now became the centre of social activity of the townspeople.

 

Mindacowie was built in 1911 [by Mr Abbott for his sisters the Misses Abbott] as a guest house by Misses Abbott and is conducted in this same role today.

 

The railway station has moved from its original position near the Mill to the present site west of the town in the 1920s. Although Middleton has had to play a minor role in relation to the neighbouring towns of Port Elliot and Goolwa the townspeople have always loyally supported their neighbours in their energetic endeavours to have improvements made and additional facilities provided to promote and develop the whole area.

 

Meetings were instituted by these residents, who called on their neighbours to attend and support them in their efforts to press the authorities to have new amenities provided in the whole district and on a number of occasions petitions were organised due to the untiring efforts of the people of Middleton even when they were not directly to benefit from the improvements asked for.

 

The area between the old town and the beach was surveyed for closer development in 1924 by the Basham family and now there are many houses in this section. It has become a pleasant place to live and is enjoyed by a growing number of visitors who can spend a short time away from city rush and bustle, taking in the wonderful view of the endless breakers on the beach. [Ref: Times (Victor Harbor 20-1-1988]

   

A piece of art by Darren Yeadon at The National Botanic Gardens of Wales

The famous hills from whence came the Bluestones of Stonehenge, pictured with the memorial monolith to poet Waldo Williams, 1904-1971. Married Linda Llewellyn in 1941 who sadly died just two years later. In 1950 he protested against the Korean war by refusing to pay income tax, a protest he maintained long after the war, ceasing only upon the ending of National Service. During this time he served two terms of inprisonment for non payment of income tax. He died in hospital at Haverfordwest and is buried at Llandysilio, Pembrokeshire.

In the middle distance, being admired by two people, ( click the picture to zoom in ) is one of two standing stones brought down from the hills above in April 1989. the other being transported in the same manner as were the original bluestones to Wiltshire

With goldstone and bluestone ribbons from Tuffnell Glass!

Dazzling splash of colour

created with prompts using recraftai

Taken in one of Melbourne's many Alleys after some rain. I think the foreground may be a little bit distracting. Need to use a higher DOF next time, but was already shooting at high ISO, had poor lighting and did not want to drown the subject in flash.

Another view from our log cabin

The five-storey bluestone flour mill at Smeaton was built in 1861 at the height of the gold rush.One of the earliest mills, it processed flour and oats and was key to manufacturing one of the key staples on the goldfields - porridge.

Film again. Film is good. There's an awesome film exhibition opening tomorrow. Go see it!

Kyneton.

The Carlsruhe sheep run taken up in 1838 by Ebden covered a huge area from modern Woodend to Kyneton. In 1839 it was split into two pastoral runs and the run near Kyneton was taken over my Charles Wedge and then shortly after by Henry Jeffreys who built his slab homestead on the current town site astride the Campaspe River. In 1848 Henry Jeffreys went into partnership with Lieutenant Governor Charles La Trobe as this was still part of NSW then (the Governor was based in Sydney but the Lieutenant Governor was based on Port Phillip Bay.) Perhaps not coincidentally a small courthouse was established in 1848 on the Campaspe River at this spot after La Trobe had visited his and his partner’s property. La Trobe decided to make the courthouse site a town site which he called Kyneton after the birthplace of Henry Jeffreys’ wife who was born in Kineton Warwickshire. The town was gazetted as Kyneton in 1850 just before the first gold was found at Bendigo and around Mt Alexander in late 1851. Kyneton grew quickly as it was a resting place on the journey from Melbourne to Bendigo and impressive basaltic bluestone buildings were erected as there was a plentiful supply of good bluestone between Kyneton and Taradale. By the late 1850s there was an impressive array of bluestone public buildings in Kyneton including: the Kyneton Courthouse erected in 1856; the Anglian church (built 1852 and rebuilt 1856 with the west tower added 1928); the Congregational Church (built 1853 and rebuilt 1860 but now a theatre); the Mechanics Institute built 1854 (and rebuilt 1897); the Catholic Church built in 1857, the Presbyterian Church also built in 1857 and numerous banks, shops, the school (built in 1855, extended 1861 and in 1906 and still in use as the state school) and the hospital. Also built in the 1850s in bluestone was the De Graves three storey flourmill (1857) a few kilometres out of the town and another steam flourmill for Willis Brothers was built partially in bluestone in Piper Street in 1862. Some notable houses and residences were also built in the 1850s including the Attic House in 1858, the rear part of Carn Brae built in 1854 and Inverugie opposite the old town school which was built in 1858. The two storey grand Kyneton Hospital built between 1854 and 1856 with an amazing little morgue behind it of the same vintage as it was built in 1859 when the east wing was added to the hospital. The west wing was added in 1874. The hospital’s lacework wrought iron veranda was added in 1910 thus destroying the Georgian appearance of the hospital. General use of the hospital ceased in 1942. Alas it is now vacant and vandalised but there are plans to restore it and convert it into apartments. The oldest house in Kyneton is believed to be the Anglican rectory built in 1853. One of the many fine two storey banks - the former Bank of NSW built in 1856 is now the town museum which has the homestead of Theaden station (1840) relocated in its grounds.

 

Keyneton also has a fine Botanic Garden along the edge of the Campaspe River. It was established in the 1880s although the site was reserved for this purpose back in 1867. Across the river from the Botanic Gardens is the bluestone railway station and goods shed which were built in 1862. Some of the later buildings of Kyneton, not in bluestone, are also of great interest. They include the rebuilt Royal George Hotel which was built in its current style in 1915 to replace an earlier structure from 1860 which was called the Diggers Arms Hotel; the wonderful Art Nouveau style Bank of New South Wales built in 1904 in Mollison Street; the impressive Post Office and tower built in 1871; the Congregational Sunday School built in Arts and Crafts style in 1898; the former Kyneton Market on the corner of Piper and Ebden Streets built in 1878 which is again being sued for that purpose; and the slightly bizarre Ellim Eek house with tower and griffins along the roof which was built in 1890 and remodelled in 1906 with the griffins etc. It is now used as solicitor’s offices. Many of the shops of Kyneton date from the 1850s but one in classical style is worth special mention as it was constructed in 1852 exemplifying the optimism and confidence of the early settlers of Kyneton because of the nearby goldfields. This fine classical store is at 68 Piper Street almost opposite the town museum.

 

Autumn's in the air as the waters of the Bluestone River flow briskly beneath the abandoned Bluestone Branch of the N&W on the morning of October 6, 2018, in Coopers, WV.

Installed in 1898, the A. E. Woolley Memorial stained glass window looks out onto the small south garden of St. Mark the Evangelist Church of England in Fitzroy.

 

The window is very tall, almost reaching the apex of the church. Possibly designed by British born, German trained, Melbourne stained glass artist William Montgomery, it is full of beautiful examples of brightly coloured and hand-painted stained glass panels. There are also several lozenges embedded throughout the window, representing flowers in bloom. In addition to very stylised Art Nouveau flowers, the window depicts a crown at the top, the nails and crown of thorns worn by Jesus in a quadrofoil of blue, a stylised cross and the letters IHS intertwined in a monogram half way down the lancet window. These letters are a contraction for "Iesus Hominum Salvator"; "Jesus, Savior of Men".

 

Built amid workers' cottages and terrace houses of shopkeepers, St. Mark the Evangelist Church of England sits atop an undulating rise in the inner Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy. Nestled behind a thick bank of agapanthus beyond its original cast-iron palisade fence, it would not look out of place in an English country village with its neat buttresses, bluestone masonry and simple, unadorned belfry.

 

St. Mark the Evangelist was the first church to be built outside of the original Melbourne grid as Fitzroy developed into the city's first suburb. A working-class suburb, the majority of its residents were Church of England and from 1849 a Mission Church and school served as a centre for religious, educational and recreational facilities. The school was one of a number of denominational schools established by the Church of England and was partly funded by the Denominational School Board.

 

St. Mark the Evangelist Church of England was designed by architect James Blackburn and built in Early English Gothic style. Richard Grice, Victorian pastoralist and philanthropist, generously contributed almost all the cost of its construction. Work commenced in 1853 to accommodate the growing Church of England congregation of Fitzroy. On July 1st, 1853, the first stone of St. Mark the Evangelist was laid by the first Bishop of Melbourne, The Right Rev. Charles Perry.

Unfortunately, Blackburn did not live to see its completion, dying the following year in 1854 of typhoid. This left St. Mark the Evangelist without an architect to oversee the project, and a series of other notable Melbourne architects helped finish the church including Lloyd Tayler, Leonard Terry and Charles Webb. Even then when St. Mark the Evangelist opened its doors on Sunday, January 21st, 1855, the church was never fully completed with an east tower and spire never realised. The exterior of the church is very plain, constructed of largely unadorned bluestone, with simple buttresses marking structural bays and tall lancet windows. The church's belfry is similarly unadorned, yet features beautiful masonry work. It has a square tower and broach spire.

 

Inside St. Mark the Evangelist Church of England it is peaceful and serves as a quiet sanctuary from the noisy world outside. I visited it on a hot day, and its enveloping coolness was a welcome relief. Walking across the old, highly polished hardwood floors you cannot help but note the gentle scent of the incense used during mass. The church has an ornately carved timber Gothic narthex screen which you walk through to enter the nave. Once there you can see the unusual two storey arcaded gallery designed by Leonard Terry that runs the entire length of the east side of building. Often spoken of as “The Architect’s Folly” Terry's gallery was a divisive point in the Fritzroy congregation. Some thought it added much beauty to the interior with its massive square pillars and seven arches supporting the principals of the roof. Yet it was generally agreed that the gallery was of little effective use, and came with a costly price tag of £3,000.00! To this day, it has never been fully utlised by the church. St. Mark the Evangelist has been fortunate to have a series of organs installed over its history; in 1854 a modest organ of unknown origin: in 1855 an 1853 Foster and Andrews, Hull, organ which was taken from the Athenaeum Theatre in Melbourne's Collins Street: in 1877 an organ built by Melbourne organ maker William Anderson: and finally in 1999 as part of major renovation works a 1938 Harrison and Harrison, Durham, organ taken from St. Luke's Church of England in Cowley, Oxfordshire. The church has gone through many renovations over the ensuing years, yet the original marble font and pews have survived these changes and remain in situ to this day. Blackwood reredos in the chancel, dating from 1939, feature a mosaic of the last supper by stained glass and church outfitters Brooks, Robinson and Company. A similar one can be found at St. Matthew's Church of England in High Street in Prahran. The fine lancet stained glass windows on the west side of St. Mark the Evangelist feature the work of the stained glass firms Brooks, Robinson and Company. and William Montgomery. Many of the windows were installed in the late Nineteenth Century.

 

The St. Mark the Evangelist Parish Hall and verger's cottage were added in 1889 to designs by architects Hyndman and Bates. The hall is arranged as a nave with clerestorey windows and side aisles with buttresses. In 1891 the same architects designed the Choir Vestry and Infants Sunday School on Hodgson Street, to replace the earlier school of 1849 which had been located in the forecourt of the church.

 

The present St. Mark the Evangelist's vicarage, a two-storey brick structure with cast-iron lacework verandahs, was erected in 1910.

 

I am very grateful to the staff of Anglicare who run the busy adjoining St. Mark's Community Centre for allowing me to have free range of the inside of St. Mark the Evangelist for a few hours to photograph it so extensively.

 

James Blackburn (1803 - 1854) was an English civil engineer, surveyor and architect. Born in Upton, West Ham, Essex, James was the third of four sons and one daughter born to his parents. His father was a scalemaker, a trade all his brothers took. At the age of 23, James was employed by the Commissioners of Sewers for Holborn and Finsbury and later became an inspector of sewers. However, his life took a dramatic turn in 1833, when suffering economic hardship, he forged a cheque. He was caught and his penalty was transportation to Van Diemen’s Land (modern day Tasmania). As a convicted prisoner, yet also listed as a civil engineer, James was assigned to the Roads Department under the management of Roderic O’Connor, a wealthy Irishman who was the Inspector of Roads and Bridges at the time. On 3 May 1841 James was pardoned, whereupon he entered private practice with James Thomson, another a former convict. In April 1849, James sailed from Tasmania aboard the "Shamrock" with his wife and ten children to start a new life in Melbourne. Once there he formed a company to sell filtered and purified water to the public, and carried out some minor architectural commissions including St. Mark the Evangelist in Fitzroy. On 24 October he was appointed city surveyor, and between 1850 and 1851 he produced his greatest non-architectural work, the basic design and fundamental conception of the Melbourne water supply from the Yan Yean reservoir via the Plenty River. He was injured in a fall from a horse in January 1852 and died on 3 March 1854 at Brunswick Street, Collingwood, of typhoid. He was buried as a member of St. Mark The Evangelist Church of England. James is best known in Tasmania for his ecclesiastical architectural work including; St Mark's Church of England, Pontville, Tasmania (1839-1841), Holy Trinity Church, Hobart, Tasmania (1841-1848): St. George's Church of England, Battery Point, Tasmania, (1841-1847).

 

Leonard Terry (1825 - 1884) was an architect born at Scarborough, Yorkshire, England. Son of Leonard Terry, a timber merchant, and his wife Margaret, he arrived in Melbourne in 1853 and after six months was employed by architect C. Laing. By the end of 1856 he had his own practice in Collins Street West (Terry and Oakden). After Mr. Laing's death next year Leonard succeeded him as the principal designer of banks in Victoria and of buildings for the Anglican Church, of which he was appointed diocesan architect in 1860. In addition to the many banks and churches that he designed, Leonard is also known for his design of The Melbourne Club on Collins Street (1858 - 1859) "Braemar" in East Melbourne (1865), "Greenwich House" Toorak (1869) and the Campbell residence on the corner of Collins and Spring Streets (1877). Leonard was first married, at 30, on 26 June 1855 to Theodosia Mary Welch (d.1861), by whom he had six children including Marmaduke, who trained as a surveyor and entered his father's firm in 1880. Terry's second marriage, at 41, on 29 December 1866 was to Esther Hardwick Aspinall, who bore him three children and survived him when on 23 June 1884, at the age of 59, he died of a thoracic tumor in his last home, Campbellfield Lodge, Alexandra Parade, in Collingwood.

 

Lloyd Tayler (1830 - 1900) was an architect born on 26 October 1830 in London, youngest son of tailor William Tayler, and his wife Priscilla. Educated at Mill Hill Grammar School, Hendon, and King's College, London, he is said to have been a student at the Sorbonne. In June 1851 he left England to join his brother on the land near Albury, New South Wales. He ended up on the Mount Alexander goldfields before setting up an architectural practice with Lewis Vieusseux, a civil engineer in 1854. By 1856 he had his own architectural practice where he designed premises for the Colonial Bank of Australasia. In the 1860s and 1870s he was lauded for his designs for the National Bank of Australasia, including those in the Melbourne suburbs of Richmond and North Fitzroy, and further afield in country Victoria at Warrnambool and Coleraine. His major design for the bank was the Melbourne head office in 1867. With Edmund Wright in 1874 William won the competition for the design of the South Australian Houses of Parliament, which began construction in 1881. The pair also designed the Bank of Australia in Adelaide in 1875. He also designed the Australian Club in Melbourne's William Street and the Melbourne Exchange in Collins Street in 1878. Lloyd's examples of domestic architecture include the mansion "Kamesburgh", Brighton, commissioned by W. K. Thomson in 1872. Other houses include: "Thyra", Brighton (1883): "Leighswood", Toorak, for C. E. Bright: "Roxcraddock", Caulfield: "Cherry Chase", Brighton: and "Blair Athol", Brighton. In addition to his work on St. Mark the Evangelist in Fitzroy, Lloyd also designed St. Mary's Church of England, Hotham (1860); St Philip's, Collingwood, and the Presbyterian Church, Punt Road, South Yarra (1865); and Trinity Church, Bacchus Marsh (1869). The high point of Lloyd's career was the design for the Melbourne head office of the Commercial Bank of Australia. His last important design was the Metropolitan Fire Brigade Headquarters Station, Eastern Hill in 1892. Lloyd was also a judge in 1900 of the competition plans for the new Flinders Street railway station. Lloyd was married to Sarah Toller, daughter of a Congregational minister. They established a comfortable residence, Pen-y-Bryn, in Brighton, and it was from here that he died of cancer of the liver on the 17th of August 1900 survived by his wife, four daughters and a son.

 

Charles Webb (1821 - 1898) was an architect. Born on 26 November 1821 at Sudbury, Suffolk, England, he was the youngest of nine children of builder William Webb and his wife Elizabeth. He attended Sudbury Academy and was later apprenticed to a London architect. His brother James had migrated to Van Diemen's Land in 1830, married in 1833, gone to Melbourne in 1839 where he set up as a builder in and in 1848 he bought Brighton Park, Brighton. Charles decided to join James and lived with James at Brighton. They went into partnership as architects and surveyors. The commission that established them was in 1850 for St Paul's Church, Swanston Street. It was here that Charles married Emma Bridges, daughter of the chief cashier at the Bank of England. Charles and James built many warehouses, shops and private homes and even a synagogue in the city. After his borther's return to England, Charles designed St. Andrew's Church, Brighton, and receiving an important commission for Melbourne Church of England Grammar School in 1855. In 1857 he added a tower and a slender spire to Scots Church, which James had built in 1841. He designed Wesley College in 1864, the Alfred Hospital and the Royal Arcade in 1869, the South Melbourne Town Hall and the Melbourne Orphan Asylum in 1878 and the Grand Hotel (now the Windsor) in 1884. In 1865 he had designed his own home, "Farleigh", in Park Street, Brighton, where he died on 23 January 1898 of heat exhaustion. Predeceased by Emma in 1893 and survived by five sons and three daughters, he was buried in Brighton cemetery.

 

William Montgomery (1850 - 1927) was an artist who specialised in stained glass painting and design. He was born in England in 1850, and studied at the School of Art in Newcastle-on-Tyne. In his final year William was awarded one of only three National Art Scholarships that year to study at South Kensington School of Art (now the Royal College of Art). He was employed by the leading London stained glass firm, Clayton and Bell, before joining Franz Mayer and Company in Munich, Germany. Over the next seven years he not only designed windows he also trained others in the English style of glass painting. William arrived in Melbourne, Australia, in 1886 during the Boom Period provided by the Gold Rush. Melbourne was at the time one of the wealthiest cities in the world, and was in the throes of a building boom. He quickly set up his studio at 164 Flinders Street in the heart of Melbourne, bringing with him the latest in European style and design and achieving instant success amongst wealthy patrons. He worked equally for Catholic and Protestant denominations, his windows being found in many churches as well as in mansions, houses and other commercial buildings around the city. This extended to the country beyond as his reputation grew. A painter as well as stained glass window designer William was a founding member of the Victorian Art Society in Albert Street, Eastern Hill. William became President of its Council in 1912, a position he held until 1916. He was a trustee of the National Gallery of Victoria. His commissions included; stained glass windows at Christ Church, Hawthorn: St. John's, Heidelberg, St. Ignatius', Richmond: Christ Church, St Kilda: Geelong Grammar School: the Bathurst Cathedral and private houses "Tay Creggan", Hawthorn (now Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar), and "Earlsbrae Hall", Essendon (now Lowther Hall Anglican Grammar School). The success of William Montgomery made Melbourne the leading centre of stained glass in the Southern Hemisphere. William Montgomery died in 1927.

Bluestone Bay, Freycinet National Park, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Rounded boulders polished by the action of the waves that pound this bay.

Specifications : Canon 5D, 16-35mm 2.8L, Gitzo tripod, polarizing filter, ISO 100, f18, shutter 0.8 seconds.

Bluestone Park, Pembrokeshire

Near Carrisbrook, Victoria.

Fluffy Teddy-bear Jacket - aliexpress

Tee - ?

Long Denim Shorts - KMart

Fishnet Tights - Myer

Patent Lace-up Boots - Target

 

No need to comment on these - I'm uploading a series of shots from our woods. In this area, the bluestone breaks the surface of the ground. You can see how this dense sandstone would split along clear lines, and there is a lot of quarrying of this rock, to use as walkways.

Stainton, County Durham, UK .

1 2 4 6 7 ••• 79 80