View allAll Photos Tagged Trusting
Former home of William Morris, Lord Nuffield (that's the William Morris of motor car fame, not the designer) near Henley-on-Thames. Now in the care of the National Trust. (_8061769)
Knole, Sevenoaks, Kent.
The National Trust.
The Orangery.
Perseus & Medusa - detail.
An early 19th century plaster copy of Antonio Canova’s famous marble statue. Canova was testing the limits of marble, with the left arm cantilevered over empty space while holding the heavy head of Medusa.
The Orangery, which now forms the south range of Green Court, was created in 1823 at the direction of Arabella Cope, widow of the 3rd Duke of Dorset, and her second husband, Lord Whitworth. It was converted from a much earlier space in an effort to bring an element of the Gothic Revival style, so popular at the beginning of the 19th century, to Knole.
The Orangery may have been planned as a gallery for the display of Classical sculptures as well as plants. An extensive collection of bas-reliefs, inscriptions and sculpture, both antique marble pieces and much later plaster casts, is fixed to the interior walls of the Orangery and may have been part of Cope and Whitworth’s original presentation of the building. They are mentioned in John Brady’s 1839 The Visitors Guide to Knole and may have been sourced from the Continent specifically for display here. Photographs reveal that by the mid-20th century the Orangery was used for the storage of other kinds of objects too. A black and white photo from 1945 shows the three-tiered Buzaglo stove, which dates to 1774 and previously stood in the Great Hall, had been moved to the Orangery. Before it was opened to the public in 2010, the Orangery was used for garden storage.
Tyntesfield is a Victorian Gothic Revival estate near Wraxall, Somerset, England, near Nailsea, seven miles from Bristol.
The house was acquired by the National Trust in June 2002 after a fund raising campaign to prevent it being sold to private interests and ensure it be opened to the public.
William Gibbs purchased Tyntes Place, the original Regency-Gothic house that stood on the site, in 1843. In 1863 he began the full-blown rebuilding to create the Gothic Revival extravaganza that now stands; the cost was £70,000. Notable elements of the house include glass by Powell and Wooldridge, mosaics by Salviati, and ironwork by Hart, Son, Peard and Co. The original architect was John Norton. In the 1880s further alterations were made by architect Henry Woodyer. The chapel was designed by Arthur William Blomfield in the 1870s.
The appeal by the National Trust collected £8.2 million from the public in just 100 days and the Trust also received the largest single grant ever by the National Heritage Memorial Fund (at £17.4 million), which caused some controversy. The National Lottery has earmarked a further £25 million for the major conservation work that is needed.
Since 2004 staff have been cataloging the contents of the house, which had been collected by the four generations of the family. By 2008 a total of 30,000 items had been listed including an unexploded Second World War bomb, a jewel-encrusted chalice, a roll of 19th-century flock wallpaper and a coconut with carved face and hair. A further 10,000 items are being catalogued and photographed.
Photographs from the mock trial of the Sutton Trust Summer School in Law at the University of Cambridge, which was held on 15 August 2014.
Photographs from the mock trial of the Sutton Trust Summer School in Law at the University of Cambridge, which was held on 15 August 2014.
The first permanent memorial to be installed on the battlefield since the Cromwell Monument since 26 May 1936 was inaugurated on Sunday 10 June 2012 by the Blewcoat Regiment of Foote of the Sealed Knot.
Tyntesfield is a Victorian Gothic Revival estate near Wraxall, Somerset, England, near Nailsea, seven miles from Bristol.
The house was acquired by the National Trust in June 2002 after a fund raising campaign to prevent it being sold to private interests and ensure it be opened to the public.
William Gibbs purchased Tyntes Place, the original Regency-Gothic house that stood on the site, in 1843. In 1863 he began the full-blown rebuilding to create the Gothic Revival extravaganza that now stands; the cost was £70,000. Notable elements of the house include glass by Powell and Wooldridge, mosaics by Salviati, and ironwork by Hart, Son, Peard and Co. The original architect was John Norton. In the 1880s further alterations were made by architect Henry Woodyer. The chapel was designed by Arthur William Blomfield in the 1870s.
The appeal by the National Trust collected £8.2 million from the public in just 100 days and the Trust also received the largest single grant ever by the National Heritage Memorial Fund (at £17.4 million), which caused some controversy. The National Lottery has earmarked a further £25 million for the major conservation work that is needed.
Since 2004 staff have been cataloging the contents of the house, which had been collected by the four generations of the family. By 2008 a total of 30,000 items had been listed including an unexploded Second World War bomb, a jewel-encrusted chalice, a roll of 19th-century flock wallpaper and a coconut with carved face and hair. A further 10,000 items are being catalogued and photographed.