View allAll Photos Tagged Temporary

Inside New Brighton temporary library, Saturday 10 December 2016.

File Reference: 2016-12-10-NBTemp-DSC01899

 

From the collection of Christchurch City Libraries

More than 70 registered student organizations across UNMC’s five campuses hosted a New Student Involvement Fair on the Omaha campus Thursday, August 17, 2022. #IamUNMC. Disclaimer: Masks were temporarily removed for purposes of a photo.

With the aid of a crane, crew members remove some of the temporary cable that stabilized the bridge as the deck was poured and permanent cable installed.

 

Licensed for all uses by TriMet.

Removing a temporary site access road in Sidmouth.

(further information and pictures you can get by clicking on the link at the end of page!)

Mariahilferstraße

Mariahilferstraße, 6th, 7th, 14th and 15th, since 1897 (in the 6th and 7th district originally Kremser Sraße, then Bavarian highway, Laimgrubner main road, Mariahilfer main street, Fünfhauserstraße, Schönbrunnerstraße and Penzinger Poststraße, then Schönbrunner Straße), in memory of the old suburb name; Mariahilf was an independent municipality from 1660 to 1850, since then with Gumpendorf, Magdalenengrund, Windmühle and Laimgrube 6th District.

From

aeiou - the cultural information system of the bm: bwk

14,000 key words and 2000 pictures from history, geography, politics and business in Austria

www.aeiou.at

Mariahilferstraße, 1908 - Wien Museum

Mariahilferstraße, 1908

Picture taken from "August Stauda - A documentarian of old Vienna"

published by Christian Brandstätter - to Book Description

History

Pottery and wine

The first ones who demonstrably populated the area of ​​today's Mariahilferstraße (after the mammoth) were the Illyrians. They took advantage of the rich clay deposits for making simple vessels. The Celts planted on the sunny hills the first grape vines and understood the wine-making process very well. When the Romans occupied at the beginning of our Era Vienna for several centuries, they left behind many traces. The wine culture of the Celts they refined. On the hill of today's Mariahilferstraße run a Roman ridge trail, whose origins lay in the camp of Vindobona. After the rule of the Romans, the migration of peoples temporarily led many cultures here until after the expulsion of the Avars Bavarian colonists came from the West.

The peasant Middle Ages - From the vineyard to the village

Thanks to the loamy soil formed the winery, which has been pushed back only until the development of the suburbs, until the mid-17th Century the livelihood of the rural population. "Im Schöff" but also "Schöpf - scoop" and "Schiff - ship" (from "draw of") the area at the time was called. The erroneous use of a ship in the seal of the district is reminiscent of the old name, which was then replaced by the picture of grace "Mariahilf". The Weinberg (vineyard) law imposed at that time that the ground rent in the form of mash on the spot had to be paid. This was referred to as a "draw".

1495 the Mariahilfer wine was added to the wine disciplinary regulations for Herrenweine (racy, hearty, fruity, pithy wine with pleasant acidity) because of its special quality and achieved high prices.

1529 The first Turkish siege

Mariahilferstraße, already than an important route to the West, was repeatedly the scene of historical encounters. When the Turks besieged Vienna for the first time, was at the lower end of today Mariahilferstrasse, just outside the city walls of Vienna, a small settlement of houses and cottages, gardens and fields. Even the St. Theobald Monastery was there. This so-called "gap" was burned at the approach of the Turks, for them not to offer hiding places at the siege. Despite a prohibition, the area was rebuilt after departure of the Turks.

1558, a provision was adopted so that the glacis, a broad, unobstructed strip between the city wall and the outer settlements, should be left free. The Glacis existed until the demolition of the city walls in 1858. Here the ring road was later built.

1663 The new Post Road

With the new purpose of the Mariahilferstrasse as post road the first three roadside inn houses were built. At the same time the travel increased, since the carriages were finally more comfortable and the roads safer. Two well-known expressions date from this period. The "tip" and "kickbacks". In the old travel handbooks of that time we encounter them as guards beside the route, the travel and baggage tariff. The tip should the driver at the rest stop pay for the drink, while the bribe was calculated in proportion to the axle grease. Who was in a hurry, just paid a higher lubricant (Schmiergeld) or tip to motivate the coachman.

1683 The second Turkish siege

The second Turkish siege brought Mariahilferstraße the same fate. Meanwhile, a considerable settlement was formed, a real suburb, which, however, still had a lot of fields and brick pits. Again, the suburb along the Mariahilferstraße was razed to the ground, the population sought refuge behind the walls or in the Vienna Woods. The reconstruction progressed slowly since there was a lack of funds and manpower. Only at the beginning of the 18th Century took place a targeted reconstruction.

1686 Palais Esterhazy

On several "Brandstetten", by the second Turkish siege destroyed houses, the Hungarian aristocratic family Esterhazy had built herself a simple palace, which also had a passage on the Mariahilferstrasse. 1764 bought the innkeeper Paul Winkelmayr from Spittelberg the building, demolished it and built two new buildings that have been named in accordance with the Esterhazy "to the Hungarian crown."

17th Century to 19th Century. Fom the village to suburb

With the development of the settlements on the Mariahilferstraße from village to suburbs, changed not only the appearance but also the population. More and more agricultural land fell victim to the development, craftsmen and tradesmen settled there. There was an incredible variety of professions and trades, most of which were organized into guilds or crafts. Those cared for vocational training, quality and price of the goods, and in cases of unemployment, sickness and death.

The farms were replaced by churches and palaces, houses and shops. Mariahilf changed into a major industrial district, Mariahilferstrasse was an important trading center. Countless street traders sold the goods, which they carried either with them, or put in a street stall on display. The dealers made themselves noticeable by a significant Kaufruf (purchase call). So there was the ink man who went about with his bottles, the Wasserbauer (hydraulic engineering) who sold Danube water on his horse-drawn vehicle as industrial water, or the lavender woman. This lovely Viennese figures disappeared with the emergence of fixed premises and the improvement of urban transport.

Private carriages, horse-drawn carriages and buggies populated the streets, who used this route also for trips. At Mariahilferplatz Linientor (gate) was the main stand of the cheapest and most popular means of transport, the Zeiselwagen, which the Wiener used for their excursions into nature, which gradually became fashionable. In the 19th Century then yet arrived the Stellwagen (carriage) and bus traffic which had to accomplish the connection between Vienna and the suburbs. As a Viennese joke has it, suggests the Stellwagen that it has been so called because it did not come from the spot.

1719 - 1723 Royal and Imperial Court Stables

Emperor Charles VI. gave the order for the construction of the stables to Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. 1772 the building was extended by two houses on the Mariahilferstrasse. The size of the stables still shows, as it serves as the Museum Quarter - its former importance. The Mariahilferstraße since the building of Schönbrunn Palace by the Imperial court very strongly was frequented. Today in the historic buildings the Museum Quarter is housed.

The church and monastery of Maria Hülff

Coloured engraving by J. Ziegler, 1783

1730 Mariahilferkirche

1711 began the renovation works at the Mariahilferkirche, giving the church building today's appearance and importance as a baroque monument. The plans stem from Franziskus Jänkl, the foreman of Lukas von Hildebrandt. Originally stood on the site of the Mariahilferkirche in the medieval vineyard "In Schoeff" a cemetery with wooden chapel built by the Barnabites. Already in those days, the miraculous image Mariahilf was located therein. During the Ottoman siege the chapel was destroyed, the miraculous image could be saved behind the protective walls. After the provisional reconstruction the miraculous image in a triumphal procession was returned, accompanied by 30,000 Viennese.

1790 - 1836 Ferdinand Raimund

Although in the district Mariahilf many artists and historical figures of Vienna lived , it is noticeable that as a residence they rather shunned the Mariahilferstraße, because as early as in the 18th Century there was a very lively and loud bustle on the street. The most famous person who was born on the Mariahilferstrasse is the folk actor and dramatist Ferdinand Raimund. He came in the house No. 45, "To the Golden deer (Zum Goldenen Hirschen)", which still exists today, as son of a turner into the world. As confectioners apprentice, he also had to visit the theaters, where he was a so-called "Numero", who sold his wares to the visitors. This encounter with the theater was fateful. He took flight from his training masters and joined a traveling troupe as an actor. After his return to Vienna, he soon became the most popular comedian. In his plays all those figures appeared then bustling the streets of Vienna. His most famous role was that of the "ash man" in "Farmer as Millionaire", a genuine Viennese guy who brings the wood ash in Butte from the houses, and from the proceeds leading a modest existence.

1805 - 1809 French occupation

The two-time occupation of Vienna by the French hit the suburbs hard. But the buildings were not destroyed fortunately.

19th century Industrialization

Here, where a higher concentration of artisans had developed as in other districts, you could feel the competition of the factories particularly hard. A craftsman after another became factory worker, women and child labor was part of the day-to-day business. With the sharp rise of the population grew apartment misery and flourished bed lodgers and roomers business.

1826

The Mariahilferstraße is paved up to the present belt (Gürtel).

1848 years of the revolution

The Mariahilferstraße this year was in turmoil. At the outbreak of the revolution, the hatred of the people was directed against the Verzehrungssteuerämter (some kind of tax authority) at the lines that have been blamed for the rise of food prices, and against the machines in the factories that had made the small craftsmen out of work or dependent workers. In October, students, workers and citizens tore up paving stones and barricaded themselves in the Mariahilfer Linientor (the so-called Linienwall was the tax frontier) in the area of ​​today's belt.

1858 The Ring Road

The city walls fell and on the glacis arose the ring-road, the now 6th District more closely linking to the city center.

1862 Official naming

The Mariahilferstraße received its to the present day valid name, after it previously was bearing the following unofficial names: "Bavarian country road", "Mariahilfer Grund Straße", "Penzinger Street", "Laimgrube main street" and "Schönbrunner Linienstraße".

The turn of the century: development to commercial street

After the revolution of 1848, the industry displaced the dominant small business rapidly. At the same time the Mariahilferstraße developed into the first major shopping street of Vienna. The rising supply had to be passed on to the customer, and so more and more new shops sprang up. Around the turn of the century broke out a real building boom. The low suburban houses with Baroque and Biedermeier facade gave way to multi-storey houses with flashy and ostentatious facades in that historic style mixture, which was so characteristic of the late Ringstrasse period. From the former historic buildings almost nothing remained. The business portals were bigger and more pompous, the first department stores in the modern style were Gerngross and Herzmansky. Especially the clothing industry took root here.

1863 Herzmansky opened

On 3 March opened August Herzmansky a small general store in the Church Lane (Kirchengasse) 4. 1897 the great establishment in the pin alley (Stiftgasse) was opened, the largest textile company of the monarchy. August Herzmansky died a year before the opening, two nephews take over the business. In 1928, Mariahilferstraße 28 is additionally acquired. 1938, the then owner Max Delfiner had to flee, the company Rhonberg and Hämmerle took over the house. The building in Mariahilferstrasse 30 additionally was purchased. In the last days of the war in 1945 it fell victim to the flames, however. 1948, the company was returned to Max Delfiner, whose son sold in 1957 to the German Hertie group, a new building in Mariahilferstrasse 26 - 30 constructing. Other ownership changes followed.

1869 The Pferdetramway

The Pferdetramway made it first trip through the Mariahilferstraße to Neubaugasse.

Opened in 1879 Gerngroß

Mariahilferstraße about 1905

Alfred Gerngross, a merchant from Bavaria and co-worker August

Herzmanskys, founded on Mariahilferstrasse 48/corner Church alley (Kirchengasse) an own fabric store. He became the fiercest competitor of his former boss.

1901 The k.k. Imperial Furniture Collection

The k.k. Hofmobilien and material depot is established in Mariahilferstrasse 88. The collection quickly grew because each new ruler got new furniture. Today, it serves as a museum. Among other things, there is the office of Emperor Franz Joseph, the equipment of Emperor Maximilian of Mexico from Miramare Castle, the splendid table of Charles VI. and the furniture from the Oriental Cabinet of Crown Prince Rudolf.

1911 The House Stafa

On 18 August 1911, on the birthday of Emperor Franz Joseph, corner Mariahilferstraße/imperial road (Kaiserstraße) the "central palace" was opened. The construction by its architecture created a sensation. Nine large double figure-relief panels of Anton Hanak decorated it. In this building the "1st Vienna Commercial sample collective department store (Warenmuster-Kollektivkaufhaus)", a eight-storey circular building was located, which was to serve primarily the craft. The greatest adversity in the construction were underground springs. Two dug wells had to be built to pump out the water. 970 liters per minute, however, must be pumped out until today.

1945 bombing of Vienna

On 21 February 1945 bombs fell on the Mariahilferstrasse, many buildings were badly damaged. On 10th April Wiener looted the store Herzmansky. Ella Fasser, the owner of the café "Goethe" in Mariahilferstrasse, preserved the Monastery barracks (Stiftskaserne) from destruction, with the help other resistance fighters cutting the fire-conducting cords that had laid the retreating German troops. Meanwhile, she invited the officers to the cafe, and befuddled them with plenty of alcohol.

www.wien-vienna.at/blickpunkte.php?ID=582

 

TATs 4 All

Temporary Airbrush Tattoos

Raj Atwal

Fresno, CA

Side view of the temporary bridge

Graffiti réalisé sur du film plastique. C'est quand même plus sympa que sur les murs non???

This is a photograph from finish of the fourth annual running of the AON Mullingar Half Marathon which was held on Saturday 17th March 2019 (St. Patrick's Day Lá Fhéile Pádraig 2018) in Mullingar, Co. Westmeath, Ireland at 10:30. This photograph was taken at at the 13 mile mark in the home straight within Mullingar Town Park. Following on from the incredible success of the first three years of the race this year the total numbers participating rose from just under 600 in 2015, 900 in 2016, over 1200 in 2017 and yet again over 1200 this year. Proceeds raised by the AON Mullingar Half Marathon will go directly to T.E.A.M (Temporary Emergency Accommodation Midlands) finding safe & secure accommodation for homeless women and children. The roots of the successs of the event last year was the excellent organisation and a very flat and fast route. All of these characteristics were repeated this year except for the weather. This was a bitterly cold day with air temperatures struggling to get above 4C and a severe wind chill from an easterly breeze making it for very difficult running conditions. Indeed the race could be described as a race of two halves in terms of weather. The first half participants had the strong, cold easterly wind at their faces. However, turning for home along the Royal Canal this became a very strong tailwind for 4 - 5 miles from around Flynn's Machinery/Junction 14 M4. Participants travelled from all over Ireland with a very large participation from runners around Mullingar and the midlands. The race has an AAI permit. The course reverted to its original route this year. Last year saw a small change to the course configuration when the race crossed the M4 Motorway at The Downs via a winding pedestrian footbridge. This was not included this year.

  

The race began on Pearse Street/Austin Friar's Street in the town and proceeds North East out of the town to the N52 Delvin/Dundalk road towards Lough Sheever. The course then follows beautiful rural country roads out to The Downs at the M4. The only significant hill or rise on the course occurs here at about 7 miles when runners cross a pedestrian footbridge over the M4 near Junction 14 Thomas Flynn and Sons The Downs. The race then joins the now local access route of the old N4 road and then joins the Royal Canal at Great Down. The remainder of the race follows the Royal Canal back westward to Mullingar town. The towpath on the Canal is perfectly flat and in excellent condition. Runners will notice how the level of the canal changes dramatically along the route - at points the canal is level with the towpath. In other places the canal is at least 3 meters lower than the canal path. However the path is perfectly flat and firm the whole way. The course then leaves the Royal Canal at the Ardmore Road/Millmount area of the town and finishes in the Mullingar Town Park on Austin Friar's Street beside the Annebrook Hotel. The park provides a very nice setting for the finish of the race and runners and their families can mix and congregate around the finish area and the hotel.

  

Timing and event management was provided by www.myrunresults.com/. Their website is here [www.myrunresults.com/] and will contain the results to today's race.

Our full set of photographs are available at: www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/albums/72157664768562807

Using the temporary platform at Chorley, 185105 waits with 1N58 0929 Manchester Airport to Blackpool North and Barrow-in-Furness on 8th November 2016.

 

The platform was in use for a limited time whilst work was carried out on the normal structure in connection with the North West Electrification Programme work.

This memorial

of his untimely fate

has been erected by the

Vicar and two friends

who accompanied him

in a visit to Paris

as a tribute of respect to that

Brave and Generous Nation

Once our foes but now our

allies and brethren

 

Ainsi Soit il

A.D

1857

 

Napoleonic Conflict

In the late 1700s Dereham church's bell tower was used as a prison for French prisoners of war being transferred from Great Yarmouth to Norman Cross under the charge of the East Norfolk Militia. On 6 October 1799 a French officer, Jean de Narde, managed to escape from the tower and, being unable to escape from the church yard due to guards being present, hid in a tree. The Frenchman was spotted and shot when he refused to come down and surrender. Jean is buried in the church yard, and his grave is marked by a memorial stone erected in 1858, which includes the following statement: "Once our foes but now our allies and brethren."

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dereham

Source: eastscapes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/once-our-foe-grave-of-j...

 

The East North Militia have one “battle honour” to its “credit” Whilst escorting French prisoners of war from Yarmouth to Norman Cross, The Militia locked up their prisoners for the night in the bell tower of Dereham church – for safe keeping. In spite of this, an officer by the name of Jean De Narde, the 28 year son of a notary from St. Malo, managed to escape from the church. Finding that the Militia had set piquets around the perimeter of the Church he climbed an oak hoping that his absence would go unnoticed and that the party would leave without him thus allowing him to make good his escape. Unfortunately for De Narde, the Militia, realizing that they were missing a prisoner conducted a search of the locality and the Frenchman was spotted on account of him leaving his legs dangling from the tree. The Sergeant was told to get the Frenchman down. The prisoner was called on to surrender. Whether De Narde did not understand English that was yelled at him or perhaps he did not even realise that he had been discovered, De Narde kept to his tree. The Sergeant thereupon shot the Frenchman from the tree, killing him instantly. The local population were apparently ashamed by this action and thought this deed to be one of unnecessary cruelty, according to the Parish Priest, the Reverend Benjamin John Armstrong . Eventually a monument was raised to the unfortunate De Narde and the family in St Malo informed of his fate.

Source: eastnorfolkmilitia.webs.com/themilitia.htm

 

Jean de Narde was a French prisoner of war who had been landed at Yarmouth, and was on his way to Norman Cross prison in 1799. His party was lodged in the Bell Tower of East Dereham church overnight, and he attempted to escape by climbing down the wall but was shot by one of the guards. He was buried in the cemetery and later in the 19th century a headstone was placed above his grave. There is a plaque on the tower wall that relates this story. A contemporary account of prisoners marching through the area records the frequent passage of such prisoners, with East Dereham being one of the halts for the night:

 

Columns of prisoners often 1,000 strong were marched from Yarmouth to Norwich and lodged in the castle. From Yarmouth they were marched to Lynn halting at Costessey, East Dereham and thence to Lynn. Here the captives were lodged temporarily in an old warehouse on the north side of the King Staith.

 

The Norman Cross brochure has this text on the front of its folder:

 

In 1797 the Transport Board of the Admiralty decided that a new prison establishment was required in the east of England, to house the many thousands of French and Dutch prisoners of war arriving in this country. The site had to be inland to hinder escape attempts although within easy access of the coast so that captives could be landed at Kings Lynn and Yarmouth and conveyed to the depot at minimal cost; in a fertile area where the local produce could supply the depot; and on a site that possessed a good water supply. Norman Cross possessed all these attributes and was on the Great North Road so that troops, prisoners and supplies could be conveyed along this route easily. Construction work began in December 1796 and by the following April the prison was ready for the reception of prisoners.

 

The depot was in use from 1797 to 1814 and housed not only French but Dutch, German, Italian and Polish POWs. These men were captured at the naval battles of Camperduin and Trafalgar and during the Peninsular War. Prisoners also came from enemy privateers and merchant vessels, the capture of the French colonies in the West Indies and from battles such as Maida in 1806 in Italy and the Walcheren campaign of 1809.

Source: www.napoleonicwarsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2167

 

The " Bell Tower" (to adopt loyally the indigenous name) stands, not on the church, like most of its contemporaries, but beside it. It was also used as a lock-up or temporary prison in the days when French captives were marched from Yarmouth to Norman Cross, and passed a night at Norwich and Dereham on their way.

 

One October evening in 1799, a batch of these poor fellows were lodged in the hospitable precincts of this Bell Tower. A prisoner of war by the name of Jean de la Narde, twenty-eight years of age, the son of a notary of St. Malo, thought he would try to escape during the night. He was discovered, however, by the sentry, pursued by the guard just as he had succeeded in climbing into a large tree, and was there shot dead. A neat stone was erected over his remains by the kind-hearted vicar and renewed by the Rev. B. J. Armstrong in 1856.

Page 29 “Life, writings and correspondence of George Borrow (1803-1881) based on official and other authentic sources”

Source: archive.org/stream/lifewritingsandc01knapuoft/lifewriting...

 

Passages from the diary of the Rev. Benjamin John Armstrong M.A. (Cantab) Vicar of Dereham. 1850 – 88

 

Feb. 17 1858. Today another cross was set up in the churchyard, the inscription under which will speak for itself. 'In memory of Jean de Narde, son of a Notary Public of St. Malo. A French prisoner of war, who, having escaped from the Bell tower of this church, was pursued and shot by a soldier. October 6th, 1799, aged 28 years.

Source: www.coxresearcher.com/history/norfolkdiary.htm

Source: godsacre.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/jean-de-narde-norfolk-dia...

 

6. (March 1858)*—“Within the last few days a stone has been placed in the churchyard at East Dereham, in memory of Jean de Narde, a French prisoner of war, who, in the year 1796 while en route from Yarmouth to Norman Cross prison, was lodged in the lower chamber of the bell tower of the church, and escaped therefrom. He was pursued by the guard, and, after some search, was espied in a tree on the Scarning Road, and when summoned by a soldier to descend and surrender he did not comply. His non-compliance forfeited his life, for he was shot off it like a crow. The stone was erected by the vicar and two other gentlemen.”

From Norfolk Annals, A Chronological Record of Remarkable Events in the ineteenth Century, Vol 2 by Charles Mackie.

Source: www.hellenicaworld.com/UK/Literature/CharlesMackie/en/Nor...

(I’m leaning towards discounting this version – not only is the year wrong but it’s the only version that implies he managed to get further than the churchyard).

 

So lots of slight variations on the circumstances of Jeans’ death throughout all those. I believe this headstone was a replacement for one put in place contemporaneously by the then incumbent Vicar.

 

A temporary fence is being constructed along the equally temporary rokin bypass, likely for a bit of protection for the sidewalk cafes immediately next to it.

 

HFF!

Un ristorante di quattro sale con griglia e cantina a vista, loft che diventano temporary home e una corte interna a cielo aperto teatro di cene e “sagre urbane” dedicate ai prodotti del territorio

1400 block of U St NW. Washington, DC.

When we got Emerson, this was his home during quarantine, before we could put him in with Virgil.

This set of temporary advertising signs were erected on a redevelopment site in Dunbar during the 1930s. They promote brands of soup, tobacco, cocoa powder, beef extract and an insurance company.

 

This is a black and white photograph of five large advertising displays fixed to a stone wall on the line of a sloping road. In the background can be seen parts of distant buildings.

 

These hoardings advertise common branded products of the 1930s. At this time locally produced and distributed consumer goods were being challenged by manufactures with national distribution; economy of scale could give them a price advantage and advertising was an effective means of promotion.

 

Accession number - Am3480

Raj Atwal

TATs 4 All

Temporary Airbrush Tattoos

Fresno, CA

In early March of 2020, the Heyworth Railroad Museum relocated our 1941 Illinois Central side door caboose No. 9880 to a new display site for improved security. After being moved about 300 feet from the old display site, No. 9880 was parked here for a few days while the new display site was put together. To see the entire moving process, see my video of the event here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJ19rSVMps

Temporary cables hang from the East Tower, in preparation for tensioning.

 

Licensed for all uses by TriMet.

Temporary truss supporting in place as part of the widening of the Checkered House Bridge in Richmond.

Angie had her spay surgery on Monday. There was no leaping, jumping, flying, rowdiness, racing, or roughhousing for a few days. Kong catch can be played while sitting. :)

 

Angie is doing great, almost back to normal now. Peggy Sue's appointment is on the 26th.

 

A visit to War Memorial Park in Coventry.

 

It is a short walk from Coventry Station via the Warwick Road.

 

I only walked around half of the park that day.

  

The War Memorial Park is a large park of about 48.5 hectares in southern Coventry, England. The park was opened in July 1921 as a tribute to the 2,587 Coventrians who died between 1914 and 1918 fighting in the First World War. The landscaped gardens and sports areas were created in the late-1920s and 1930s, and the most prominent structure in the park is the city's war memorial monument, built in 1927.

  

The War Memorial in the centre of the park.

 

Grade II* Listed Building

 

War Memorial in Coventry War Memorial Park

 

Summary

 

A War Memorial built in 1925-7 to a design by Thomas Francis Tickner (1864-1924).

Description

 

A War Memorial tower in Art Deco style, with stripped Classical detailing, built in 1925-7 to a design by Thomas Francis Tickner (1864-1924).

 

PLAN: the memorial tower has a square footprint and is set on a circular platform, which was rebuilt in 2011, and replaces the original octagonal shaped platform.

 

MATERIALS: the memorial tower is built of reinforced concrete and clad in Portland stone, with a stepped platform in granite.

 

EXTERIOR: the stepped tower is over 27m high. It has heavy buttresses to its corners, rising to ten tiers. Large, decorative bronze doors (restored in 2004) to both the east and west elevation, are set in plain chamfered Portland stone surrounds, and give access to the Chamber of Silence inside the tower. Each door contains, in relief, a full height cross with above it '1914-1918' and '1939-1945'. The north and south elevations each have a plain cross set on a stepped corbel with guttae. Below the cross on the north elevation is a circular wreath carved in stone, with the dates of both World Wars and the Coat of Arms of the City of Coventry below it. At the top of the tower burns an Eternal Light. The replaced steps of 2011, surrounding the monument, incorporate hand rails and an access ramp, and contain a bronze circle engraved with parts of Laurence Binyon's poem 'For the Fallen' and six bronze discs commemorating the Coventry service men who have been awarded the Victoria Cross.

 

INTERIOR: the Chamber of Silence inside the memorial tower, containing the Rolls of Honour, could not be inspected.

 

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: there are four Portland stone pedestals, built in 1928 to support floodlights, standing in line with the corners of the memorial tower. Behind the pedestal north of the Memorial is a cast iron power supply junction box with decorative patterns and hinges to its door, which would supply the electricity for the floodlighting, and loudspeakers used on Armistice Sunday and/or other gatherings.

 

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 18 January 2017.

 

History

 

In 1919 Coventry City Council invited members of the local community to form a War Memorial Committee to consider ways to create a fitting memorial for the city to commemorate the local soldiers who had lost their lives in the First World War. It was decided that this should be a park, which would also be a welcome and valued new asset, as the provision for open space in Coventry was limited at the time. The favoured location was Stivichall, and in 1919 the land was purchased from the Hon AF Gregory following a public appeal for donations. The plans for the park were partly dictated by earlier features and in particular the course of a medieval track, which would divide a formal section from playing fields. The latter were assigned for games and physical recreation for which Coventry had scant provision in 1919. The formal area would include rock gardens, which utilised existing cattle ponds, and in the centre, a War Memorial with radiating avenues planted with memorial trees. A children’s playground, pavilions, shelters and refreshment rooms would also be provided. Due to a lack of funds and priorities elsewhere, such as local housing provision, the creation of the park would take over ten years. When the park was formally opened on 9 July 1921, which included a dedication and memorial service followed by folk dancing and races, only the preparation of the ground had been completed. In 1922 the path layout was agreed with the Council, and in 1923 it was decided that the main entrance should be at the Grove; that the War Memorial should be sited on the high ground in the centre of the park; and that memorial trees should be an important element within the design. Plans were also made for a pavilion with lavatory accommodation for which works started in 1924. By the end of that year a temporary bandstand that had been erected in the summer of 1923, and the Earlsdon Cricket Club pavilion were removed. Planting of the park started in the spring of 1925, and the avenues were opened that summer. On 8 October 1927, the War Memorial, built to a design by the local architect Thomas Francis Tickner, was opened by Earl Haig. In 1926 the City Engineer drew up plans for the main gates, which were completed a year later. On 25 February 1927 the Coventry Herald reported that the memorial had been partly finished, that the paths in the park were lined with copper beeches and that it included a beautiful rock garden, flower beds and shrubs. Golf was introduced in 1930 when a small golf course was laid out on land by the railway. In 1933 the City Engineer prepared plans for a shelter, tea room and conveniences, for which a classical style was chosen. Building work continued during 1934 and the pavilions were first used for the carnival in June 1935.

 

During the Second World War large sections of land in the park were ploughed and used for food cropping and demonstration allotments. As shown on aerial photographs taken in c1946-7, most of the mature trees in the playing fields had disappeared, possibly because of intensive sport use, but more likely because of the introduction of anti-aircraft guns in 1941, a row of concrete cubes (probably to defend an underground ammunition store situated in the park), trench shelters, and a roadway to allow military access to the pavilion. After the War in 1948-52, a memorial tree planting campaign took place to commemorate the local people who lost their lives in the Second World War, resulting in the planting of another avenue across the north of the golf course to the pavilion, and one near the Beechwood Avenue entrance, where by 1977 a car park had been created. In the early 1950s children’s facilities were developed in the park including play equipment and a paddling pool. In 1963, a German Peace Garden was opened to the north of the rock garden. In 1990 an aviary was introduced in one of the former tennis courts, and replacing a collection of war time huts that stood on this site.

 

Memorial tree planting continues (2012) and recently Coventry City Council has refurbished the park through joint funding from the BIG and Heritage Lottery Funds Parks for People Programme.

 

It was intended from the outset, apart from the planting of memorial trees, there should be a monument in Coventry's War Memorial Park. In 1923, the Memorial Committee had invited architects to submit plans. The selected design was by the local architect Thomas Francis Tickner (1864-1924), who died shortly afterwards, so the work was overseen by his partner TRJ Meakin. Funding for the memorial was achieved through a public appeal in 1924. Building works, carried out by John Gray, a local builder, started in the autumn of 1925. On 8 October 1927, the memorial was inaugurated by Field Marshall Douglas Haig. The Roll of Honour was to be housed in a cabinet in a room inside the memorial, to be called the Chamber of Silence. During the opening ceremony the monument was floodlit, and the power supply box was left in place so that it could be floodlit every year on Armistice Day. At the end of 1928, money became available to install decorative bronze clad doors to the Chamber of Silence, and permanent floodlighting pedestals were placed around the memorial. After the Second World War another Roll of Honour was added. The monument commemorates 2587 military victims of the First World War, and 817 casualties in the forces, 115 in civilian defence organisations and 1085 civilians of the Second World War. Soldiers who lost their lives in more recent conflicts, such as the Gulf War, have also been added to the Roll. In 2011 the tower was restored, and stepped platform to the monument replaced to incorporate railings and an access ramp.

 

Reasons for Listing

 

The War Memorial in Coventry War Memorial Park is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: it is a particularly important example of a bespoke war memorial tower that is of an unusually bold and arresting Art Deco style design that displays high quality architectural detailing and use of materials and give this memorial more than special visual interest;

Historic Interest: especially in the context of Coventry, a city which suffered such great human loss in both World Wars, the war memorial possesses considerable historic and cultural interest for its link with these world conflicts and the poignant cost of such involvement, both at a local and national level;

Setting: its surrounding park (registered Grade II), specifically designed to complement the War Memorial, with formal avenues radiating from the war memorial, adds significantly to its high level of special interest;

Group Value: it forms an important group with the contemporary main entrance gates and piers to Coventry War Memorial Park (listed Grade II).

new graffiti along the freeway 99 soundwall in Sacramento

 

Can anyone help me identify the writing on the left?

Tee-One/OVR8D on the right, I presume.

cooking 'dal baati' in a temporary restaurant at the pushkar cattle fair. 'dal baati churma' is a typical rajasthani delight made of balls of india 'roti', soaked in 'ghee' and served with jagery.

 

here, they bake 'baati' burning camel's dung. as camel's dung is bone dry, it is used as a instant fuel in all the desert places.

Yesterday they wanted temporary tattoos. So they got two tattoo's each.

  

View of bridge deck on temporary bridge

Roberto Trincado placing a tarp on a roof in St. Croix, USVI.

 

Photo by USFWS.

An Ektar shot of Bonneville. On the rock you can see how high the water was after the rain, and how it has evaporated since.

Dump truck crossing temporary bridge

This is what a finished loading track looks like. "Straight" and "level" are terms not often associated with these temporary installations laid directly on the peat. The ditch at left is the delineator between adjacent fields.

Janny had a temporary handicap placard due to her leg injury, so we were all set to use it on our visit to The Counter and Valley Fair. In both places, though, we were able to find non-handicapped parking super close to the entrance.

 

I realized something at the mall in particular, though. It seems a bit odd to have handicap spaces really close to the entrance, when the entrances are typically far away from anything. The percentage of walking Janny would have saved if we were only able to find a spot at the farthest end of the parking lot would have been quite small when compared with the amount of walking we did around the mall.

TATs 4 All

Temporary Airbrush Tattoos

Raj Atwal

Fresno, CA

The temporary screw holes in the garboards were filled using thickened epoxy and toothpicks.

1 2 ••• 19 20 22 24 25 ••• 79 80