View allAll Photos Tagged Style
We saw this women in the festival at Tattar, Okara, she was smoking publicly and I took this picture there. See her outfit, typical Punjabi filmi dress, these kinds of dress are widely worn by the women on the banks of River Ravi.
a midcentury piece of furnture and art at our airbnb in Austin, the "Romantic Art House" on the east side.
Happy Easter! The weather's taken a bit of a turn for the worst recently and I've been caught out a few times without a coat. Still it was nice to put my culottes into action. www.queenieandthedew.com/2012/04/outfit-easter-culottes.html Culottes: French Connection Cardigan: New Look Shoes: Office Scarf: H&M Vest: Primark
Engraving of main building and lecture room. Opened 27 Sep 1882 for North Adelaide Grammar School, architect Thomas Frost, renamed Whinham College 1882. Lecture room now Lohe Library. [Photo from State Library of SA: B 818]
Built in Elizabethan style, architect Thomas Frost, opened 27 Sep 1882 for North Adelaide Grammar School, renamed Whinham College 1882.
Arriving SA with his family 1852, John Whinham began as maths teacher at St Peters College Jul 1853. He also took evening classes at Christ Church and English lessons at Mrs Bell’s Ladies Institution. In Sep 1854 he opened his own school, the North Adelaide Academy, in his Archer St residence, later relocating to Ward St with boarders accommodated in Archer St. Renamed North Adelaide Grammar School 1862, by mid 1870s it was a leading boys school with 250-300 pupils, larger than both St Peter’s and Prince Alfred Colleges. When John Whinham retired 1881, his 2 sons Robert & William continued the school with Robert as principal, but the death of Robert in 1881 saw his father return until he died 1886.
Several headmasters followed. Purchased Apr 1889 by John Howard Angas and continuing under name Whinham College, it became an inter-denominational training school for lady missionaries. Renamed Angas College 3 Nov 1898. Taken over as a military infectious diseases hospital 1915 (No 15 Australian General Hospital). Re-opened Jun 1919 as Angas Training College but soon closed, sold 1922 to Lutheran church and re-opened 25 Feb 1923 as Immanuel College & Seminary (latter having transferred from Point Pass). Taken over by Australian Air Force 1942. After World War II, Lutheran Church regained property 1946 for use as seminary. Named Luther Seminary when 2 Lutheran Synods merged 1966, name changed 2003 to Australian Lutheran College.
WHINHAM COLLEGE
“Mr. Whinham, sen., had now retired from the active work of the school, and as a tribute to their father's labors in the cause of education they had decided to change the name of the institution to Whinham College.” [Weekly Chronicle 24 Jun 1882]
“Whinham College.— The large and imposing buildings bearing this name have been recently erected for Messrs. Whinham & Son, so long and favourably known as the principals of the North Adelaide Grammar School. . . principal's residence, tutors and boarders' apartments, the lecture-hall, washhouse, laundry, stabling, &c, being on Acre 770. The main building is placed in the centre of the corner acre, with main frontage to Jeffcott-street, and comprises a centre building and wings two stories in height, the wings at the rear extended with transepts, which together with the back of the centre block enclose three sides of an open court. . . The whole erection is in the Elizabethan style of architecture, and contains upwards of forty rooms. The materials employed in the construction of outer walls are hard bluestone set in square random work with quoins, dressings, strings, copings, &c, of white and red pressed bricks.” [Register 25 Sep 1882]
“The most prominent feature in the Jeffcott-street frontage is the clock tower or turret in the middle of the centre block. The tower rises to a height of fifty-three feet from the ground-line to the eaves of roof, surmounted with clock-dormers and ornamental wind vane at summit of roof, seventy feet from the ground-line.” [Register 27 Sep 1882]
“Mr. Robert Whinham, the Principal of Whinham College. . . on the retirement of his father a few years ago he assumed the active management of the establishment.” [Register 25 Oct 1884]
“Mr. John Whinham, father of deceased; who in the emergency caused in the ranks of the masters had himself taken one of the classes. . . a noble act,-as the old gentleman was now 81 years of age.” [Register 21 Oct 1884]
“Mr. Alan Wells Kearney, M.A., seven years headmaster of the University School, Geelong, has been appointed to the headmastership of Whinham College.” [Weekly Chronicle 2 Feb 1889]
“Mr. Wm. Whinham said that he intended to put the entire management of the classic side of the institution into the hands of Mr. Kearney. . . He himself intended to devote all his energies to the lower school.” [Express & Telegraph 14 Mar 1889]
“The Rev. F. Hastings, acting in conjunction with several gentlemen connected with the Congregational body, has taken over Whinham College, and the institution commenced operations under the new management on Monday last. Mr. Kearney, M.A., will retain the position of headmaster, and a thoroughly competent staff of teachers has been engaged.” [Chronicle 3 Aug 1889]
“Mr. J. H Angas, of Collingrove. . . is the owner of Whinham College, and has decided to make extensive alterations and. improvements in the classrooms and general school equipment.” [Evening Journal 29 Jun 1897]
ANGAS COLLEGE
“Mr. John Howard Angas has generously placed Whinham College, North Adelaide, at the disposal of the Rev. W. Lockhart Morton for a training home for lady missionaries. It has been renamed Angas College. . . [Morton] will still continue his connection with Hope Lodge, Belair, which will be a training home for young men who desire to be missionaries. Angas College will be conducted on undenominational lines, and Mr. Morton will be assisted in his work by ministers of various churches, who will lecture to the students. There are 30 young women who have decided to enter.” [Express & Telegraph 13 Oct 1898]
“The substantial building in Jeffcott street, North Adelaide, known as Angas College, formerly Whinham College, has been leased to the Federal Government as an infectious diseases hospital for men on active service.” [Register 11 Oct 1915]
“the Angas College buildings, North Adelaide, were being used by the military authorities for the reception and treatment of cases of infectious disease. As some alarm was being occasioned to residents in the neighborhood, would he obtain report from the medical officer of health on the suitability of the premises for that purpose, and also ascertain what steps would be taken to prevent the spread of the infection? He said, he had no desire to hamper the .military department, but the college was in the centre of a large residential area and within a few yards of a fairly large day school, and every precaution should be taken to prevent the spread of disease.” [Advertiser 5 Oct 1915]
“Though Angas College, North Adelaide, has been taken over by the military authorities for an infectious diseases hospital till the end of the war, the work of the institution is proceeding. There are about 20 students. The men are at premises near Wellington-road, Payneham, and the ladies at Kensington College, Magill-road.” [Express & Telegraph 9 Nov 1915]
“The fine building on Jeffcott and Ward streets, North Adelaide, originally known as Whinham College, subsequently as Angas College, and latterly as No. 15 Australian General Hospital, has been temporarily closed by the military authorities after nearly three years' occupation. The inmates have been transferred to other quarters, and a caretaker has been placed in charge.” [Register 8 Aug 1918]
“The Military Convalescent Hospital (Angas College) has just been reopened for convalescent patients, with Lieut. Col. Hill as O.C. With the exception of the matron and two sisters, the entire staff consists of members of the Red Cross Voluntary Aid Detachment, who, although under direct military orders, are giving their services to the department. The Red Cross Society is sending to the hospital various necessities of equipment and clothing, and would he grateful if supplies of produce, fruit, and groceries for the use of the patients and the V.A.D.'s, could be sent to the Produce Depot on North terrace. The hospital will not be used, as was previously thought, for influenza or infectious cases.” [Register 7 Feb 1919]
“In connection with the, reopening of Angas College, North Adelaide, which for four years has been used as a military hospital, a missionary conference was begun there on Monday morning. . . The formal reopening of the college took place on Monday evening, when Mr. W. Herbert Phillipps, who presided, mentioned that the object of the Angas Training College was to enrol as students young men and women who perhaps had not had the advantage earlier of some students.” [Advertiser 1 Jun 1919]
“It has been decided to establish a Missionary and Bible Institute in Melbourne similar to those already established m Adelaide and Sydney. The Rev. W Lockhart Morton of Adelaide is the originator of the scheme, and he has arranged with a committee in Melbourne to carry out the proposal. Funds for the project will be provided by sale of Angas College, North Adelaide which is valued at £20 000, and already a property in Melbourne is under offer to the promoters. When the college is established it is intended that the Adelaide work will be federated with the Melbourne centre and that students at present in residence in Adelaide will transfer to Melbourne for the purpose of continuing their studies.” [The Argus 13 Oct 1920]
“The trustees of Angas College, North Adelaide . . . applied to the Full Court . . . for an order to allow of certain alterations to the trusts of the property . . . by the late Mr. J. H. Angas. . . It was explained that it had been found impracticable to carry on a missionary college at the premises, and the trustee proposed . . . to sell the premises and devote the proceeds to the carrying on of a similar institution in Melbourne.” [Daily Herald 10 Aug 1921]
“the second reading of the Angas College Trusts (Private) Bill which had been received from the Legislative Council. The measure, said Mr. Crosby, would enable the college to be sold, so that the training of missionaries could he carried on in a smaller building, either in this State or in Victoria.” [Register 2 Dec 1921]
“Angas College Sold. . . the purchasers being the United Evangelical Church in Australia.” [Register 18 May 1922]
“Angas College, situated in North Adelaide, to be used as college and seminary, the former for general education and the latter as a training Institution for ministers of the Gospel and missionaries. The property was acquired for the sum of £13,500. That amount was raised by voluntary subscription. The Rev. L. Morten [sic], former Principal of the Angas College, made a handsome gift of a library to the Synod.” [Border Watch 13 Jun 1922[
IMMANUEL COLLEGE
“The Synod of the S.A. District of the United Evangelical Lutheran Church, of Australia . . . adjourned to North Adelaide where the church has acquired Angas College. This property is now renamed the Immanuel College, and the official opening ceremony took place on Sunday afternoon.” [The Express 28 Feb 1923]
“Immanuel College. . . a very disturbed year. At the end of the first term there was a change in premises from North Adelaide to Walkerville. The Theological Seminary remained in North Adelaide.” [Advertiser 11 Dec 1942]
“Angas College Hospital, Jeffcott street, North Adelaide.” [Advertiser 25 May 1945]
“the golden jubilee year of Immanuel College, which was opened at Point Pass in 1895 with nine students and two part-time teachers. It has now grown into two institutions — Immanuel Theological Seminary, North Adelaide, and Immanuel College, North Walkerville.” [Advertiser 14 Dec 1945]
“the twenty fifth anniversary of Immanuel Theological Seminary, North Adelaide, will be celebrated in the seminary hall. Founded at Tanunda, it was transferred to the original Whinham College, 1923, and last year to the main building.” [Advertiser 27 Sep 1947]
The one on the left is a slim fit with princess seaming.
The one on the right is classic fit with a yoke and pleat centre back. (Arvid got his shirt crumpled and I have photos to show how THAT happened! Haha)
© Todos los derechos reservados.
Copenhague (Dinamarca)
Please don't use this image on websites, blogs or other media
without my explicit permission
Contact: carmente95@hotmail.com
One of those duplicate Lolla photos you're always hearing people talk about in the elevator...
www.flickr.com/photos/chicagostreetlife/53112481073/in/al...
last series of Warhol style Pop Art...this time it's Bananas....tried to do it a bit different....thanks for looking...best bigger....hope you have a great day
Details best viewed in Original Size.
The Church of Saint Mary Magdalene (église Sainte-Marie-Madeleine, or less formally, La Madeleine), is a Catholic parish church on Place de la Madeleine in the eighth arrondissement of Paris. It was planned by Louis XV as the focal point of the new Rue Royale, leading to the new Place Louis XV, the present day Place de la Concorde. It was dedicated in 1764 by Louis XV, but work was halted due to the French Revolution. Napoleon Bonaparte had it redesigned in the neoclassical style to become a monument to the glory of his armies. After his downfall in 1814, construction as a church resumed, but it was not completed until 1842. The building is surrounded on all four sides by Corinthian columns. The interior is noted for its frescoes on the domed ceiling, and monumental sculptures by François Rude, Carlo Marochetti and other prominent 19th-century French artists. The exterior and interior of the church are undergoing a major project of cleaning and restoration, which began in 2020 and is scheduled for completion in 2024. As of this writing, it is continuing with many months of work remaining.
Additional information on La Madeleine may be found at Wikipedia.
Este rapaz vende reboçados na estrada do Rocha Pinto, em Luanda. Sempre com um estilo prórpio.
This young man sells candies in Luanda, always wearing a long sleeve and a tie
Valentina Vasilatou, who lives in Euston, is wearing an old black t-shirt which she transformed into a skirt, a long sleeved red top from Zara, a black cardigan from Rouge, and some chunky black boots from Stratford. The 20-year-old, who is studying costume design at Central St Martins College, only got her hair braided the night before, and although “it hurt so much [she] couldn’t sleep”, she was very pleased with the final look.
See: www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/apr/camden-street-styl...