View allAll Photos Tagged OrientExpress
La locomotive à vapeur SNCF 230 G 353 (à l'origine une Ten Wheel de la compagnie des chemins de fer de Paris à Orléans) sur le parvis de l'Institut du monde arabe, dans le cadre de l'expo Orient Express.
Cette loco, attachée au dépôt de Montluçon, a terminé sa carrière dans les années 60 à tirer un train désherbeur de la SNCF. Aujourd'hui classée monument historique avec son tender (à l'arrière), c'est l'une des deux rescapées de cette série. Rapatriée au dépôt de Noisy-le-Sec puis de la Villette à Paris, elle a ensuite servi à « faire le spectacle » pour des associations et a été après 1981 la seule loco à vapeur autorisée à circuler sur le réseau SNCF. Elle a aussi connu une carrière cinématographique plutôt riche dont Le crime de l'Orient Express ou Monsieur Klein.
Elle est actuellement sous la responsabilité de l'Association pour la préservation du patrimoine et des métiers ferroviaires qui l'a remise en état pour l'expo et compte bien la remettre en état de marche !
(320R0426)
The 'secret' Orient Express formed of genuine heritage cars is based in Paris and is used exclusively by SNCF French railways for its supported charites and for its own corporate use.
The Pullman Orient Express is an authentic train in the style of the genuine Orient Express. The decor, staff uniforms and cuisine are faithful to the original 1920s / 1930s trains. href="http://www.privaterailcars.net">www.privaterailcars.net
At an equipment bazaar near Spice Bazaar which offered a wide variety of practical home equipment - utensils, tools, kitchenware - for locals and random tourists like us. Old Istanbul, Turkey
Xenia Hausner (Orientexpress), 2000. 50.000 - 100.000 Euros
(for further information please click on the link at the end of page!)
Palais Daun-Kinsky
If the Freyung once has been one of the most prestigious residential addresses in town, so for it was next to the Palais Harrach especially the Grand Palais Kinsky responsible. In its place in the middle ages were two parcels, each with a small building. The front part of the Freyung was since the 16th Century always in aristocratic in hands (Bernhard Menesis Freiherr von Schwarzeneck, Countess Furstenberg, Counts Lamberg). 1686 acquired Karl Ferdinand Count Waldstein the house of Count Lamberg. His son bought also the adjacent house in Rose Street (Rosengasse) and united both plots to one parcel. He had three granddaughters, who sold the site in 1709 to Wirich Philipp Laurenz Graf Daun. This came from an old Rhenish nobility. His ancestors were mostly working for the Elector of Trier as officers. In the battle of the Habsburgs against the Turks, Spanish and Frenchmen, he acquired great military merit. He brought it to the General Feldzeugmeister (quartermaster) and Viceroy of Naples. In 1713 he had the house at the Freyung demolished and by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt built in its place until 1716 a palace, him serving as Vienna's city residence. Down may have been Antonio Beduzzi requested the creation of reconstruction plans, but was eventually Hildebrandt entrusted with the work. In 1719, the palace was largely completed. Daun lived there but rarely because he stayed a lot in Italy and in Austria preferred his country castles Ladendorf, Kirchstetten and Pellendorf. In 1746 acquired Johann Joseph Count von Khevenhüller the Palais from Leopold Joseph von Daun, the son of the owner, who happened to be in financial difficulty. The Reichsgraf (count of empire) was appointed in 1763 by the Empress Maria Theresa for his services to the Lord Steward and Lord Chamberlain, and raised to the hereditary imperial princes (princes of the Holy Roman Empire).
Door knocker
He sold the palace in 1764 to the Imperial Councilor President Ferdinand Bonaventura Harrach Count II. This worked as a diplomat, especially in Holland and Italy. At times of Maria Theresa, the building was inhabited by her Swiss Guards until they 1784 moved to their new quarters in Hofstallgebäude (court stable building). Ferdinand Bonaventura's daughter Rosa brought the palace in 1790 into her marriage to Josef Graf Kinsky. Whose family belonged to the Bohemian nobility. Its members appear at the beginning of the 13th Century documented. Wilhelm Freiherr von Kinsky was a colonel and friend of Wallenstein. He was murdered with this 1634 in Eger. His confiscated estates were divided among the assassins. Only two masteries (Chlumez and Bohemian Kamnitz ) remained through the timely change of front of his nephew, Johann Octavian with the family. The Kinsky but succeeded soon to rise again. They occupied again high positions in the administration and the military. 1798 the had modernized their Viennese palace by the architect Ernst Koch inside. Thus, the original Baroque interior was lost. As in 1809 the Frenchmen had occupied Vienna, a french Marshal and General were billeted in the palace. Prince Ferdinand Kinsky was a great patron of Beethoven, which he paid an annual salary of 4,000 florins for life along with two other nobles. In 1856, the Palace was refurbished in the interior by the architect Friedrich Stache. In the 19th Century lived the Princes Kinsky mostly on their Bohemian goods or in Prague. The building was therefore temporarily rented to some posh tenants. So lived here temporarily Field Marshal Radetzky and Archduke Albrecht. 1904 redecorated the French interior designer Armand Decour the piano nobile.
Staircase - second floor
With the end of World War II began a tough time for the Kinsky family. Almost all goods and industrial holdings, with the exception of the hunting lodge Rosenhof at Freistadt lay in Bohemia. By 1929, 50 % of the extensive Bohemian possessions were expropriated. There were still about 12,000 acres, a sugar factory and breweries. 1919 had to be a part of Vienna's Palais force-let. During World War II it was requisitioned by the German army. For fear of air raids the in the palace remaining objects of art were transferred to some Bohemian castles. The Palais Kinsky was not destroyed, its art treasures but remained in Bohemia. After the Second World War, the remaining Czech possessions were lost by nationalization for the family. In the Viennese palace were temporarily housed the embassies of China and Argentina. In 1986 it was sold by Franz Ulrich Prince Kinsky. After several short-term owners, the palace was acquired by the Karl Wlaschek private foundation in 1997. It was generously restored from 1998 to 2000 and adapted for offices and shops. The Grand Ballroom is often used because of its excellent acoustics as a concert hall. Since 1992, acclaimed art auctions are held at the Palais.
The Palais Kinsky is probably next to the Belvedere the most prominent secular work of the great Baroque architect and one of the best preserved baroque palaces in Vienna. Despite multiple changes of ownership and of numerous rearrangements inside the main components such as Baroque facade, vestibule, staircase, hall and gallery remained largely unchanged. The building extends between Freyung and Rosengasse. The property is only 30 meters wide, but three times longer. It was therefore not an easy task to build on it a representative palace with a grand staircase. Hildebrandt but has brilliantly overcome by putting up four floors at 24 m height, and yet preserving the proportions. He grouped the construction with two long side wings and a cross section around two consecutive large courtyards. The pomp and living rooms of the palace are mounted around the first courtyard, while the second contained carriage houses and stables. Here have yet been preserved the marble wall panels with the animal waterings made of cast iron and enamel from the late 19th century. Hildebrandt integrated various parts of the previous building into the new building. The seven-axle face side at the Freyung is divided several times. Stability is procured by the rusticated ground floor with its inserted diamond blocks. On it sit the two residential floors. They are embraced by Corinthian Riesenpilaster (giant pilasters). The mezzanine floor above it features in comparison with the underlying main floor tiny windows.
Hercules
The large windows on the main floor are particularly detailed designed. While the outer pairs of windows possess pagoda-like over roofings, those of the three windows of the central projection are round-arched. The trophies and weapons depicted in the lintel fields refer to the military profession of the owner. Vertically is the extensive looking facade accented by the slightly protruding, tri-part central risalite, the pilasters are decorated much richer than that of the side projections. In the Fantasiekapitelle (fantasy capital) of the pilasters are diamond lattices incorporated, an important component of the coat of arms of the Counts Down. The with figures and trophies decorated attica is over the central part formed as balustrade. The sculptures are believed to originate from Joseph Kracker, representing the gods Minerva, Juno, Hercules, Neptune, Diana and Constantia. Very elegant looks the plastically protruding portal. Its composition goes back to Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt. It is considered one of the most beautiful Baroque portals of Vienna. The draft was submitted in 1713 and carried out until 1715. The richly decorated wooden gate dates from the period around 1856, when it was renewed. It is outside flanked by two, obliquely placed Doric columns that match the rusticated ground floor. Sloped to the inside carry two, on pillar stumps standing atlases (also from Kracker) the entablature with the overlying structured segment gable. On it sit the stone figures of Prudence and Justice. The middle window in between is much richer decorated than the rest of the window openings on the first floor. Instead of the usual trapezoidal over roofings here it is crowned by a cartouche held by two putti. The originally thereon located coat of arms of the owner was replaced after the change of ownership by that of the Kinsky family with three boar's teeth. Above the shield hangs an chain with the Order of the Golden Fleece. Both the gusset of the archway as well as the overlying triglyph frieze are decorated with trophies.
Banquet Hall
If someone passes the portal, so one gets into one, by strong pillars divided three-aisled gatehouse. The massive spatial impression is something mitigated by the large sculptures in the niches. They were created by Joseph Kracker. Among the somewhat restrained stucco decorations you can see the coat of arms of the owner, with its characteristic diamond motif. At this gate hall adjoins the widely embedded and more than twice as high vestibule with its domed ceiling. This transverse oval space is divided by pilasters and Doric columns. The rich stucco decoration of the ceiling provided with lunettes could come from Alberto Camesina or from his workshop. The here used motifs are again relating to the career of the client as a commander. For instance, in the lunette caps are reliefs of Roman soldiers. On the left side of the vestibule leads an anteroom to the grand staircase. It is dominated by a vault carrying Hercules, a work by Lorenzo Mattielli. As the monogram of Charles VI proves, with it the Emperor was meant to be worshiped. In two oval niches stand above the two double doors of the Treppenvorhauses (stairway hall way) busts of Caesar and Emperor Titus Flavius Vespasian. The elongated stairway occupies almost the entire length of the left wing of the first courtyard. In the stairwell are eleven statues of Roman deities in stucco niches. The relatively narrow, crossed grand stairway is considered one of the most beautiful of Vienna. It overall design might go back to Antonio Beduzzi. On the second floor stand on the from winded perforated volute forms constructed stone balustrade four groups of playing or scrapping putti. They serve in part as a lantern holders, partly just as a decoration. The statue cycle in the staircase is a work of Lorenzo Mattielli, but the cherubs are believed to stem from Joseph Kracker. This type of decoration already points to the coming Rococo. A fresco by Carlo Innocenzo Carlone adorns the ceiling. The simulated architecture painted Antonio Beduzzi. The large wall mirror of the staircase were added after 1907 .
Staircase/ceiling fresco
The somewhat playful balustrade leads to the reception rooms on the second floor. The large oval ballroom above the entrance hall is oriented towards the courtyard. Its allegorical ceiling painting stems from Carlo Innocenzo Carlone. The other frescoes are of him and Marcantonio Chiarini. The walls are covered with marble. The room was several times, most recently in 1904 changed structurally. In front of the banquet hall is the former dining room. It is now called Yellow Salon. In 1879/80 was installed in it a choir stalls from the Pressburg Cathedral by Georg Raphael Donner ( 1736) and partly completed. The also acquired confessionals were converted into boxes that are in the antechamber of the second floor today. In the chapel, designed by Hildebrandt, was until 1741 as altarpiece Francesco Solimena's "Holy Family with the Infant John the Baptist". 1778 the sacred space, however, was already desecrated. The altarpiece is already since the 18th Century in Wiener Neustadt Neuklosterkirche (church in Lower Austria). In the cross-section between the first and the second courtyard lay the paneled gallery whose spatial effect in 1856 by an attached conservatory was changed something. Its vaulted ceiling is decorated with frescoes by Carlo Innocenzo Carlone. Marcantonio Chiarini created 1716/18 the quadrature paintings. At it followed a larger hall in which Francesco Solimena's oil painting "Phaeton and Apollo" was located. It can be admired today in the National Gallery in Prague. The hall was later used as a library. Part of the state rooms 1714 was equipped with ceiling paintings by Peter Strudel. In the course of a radical redesign of the building's interior Ernest Koch has cut off all stucco ceilings of the staterooms 1798-1800 and also redesigned the walls. Since 1879 Carl Gangolf Kayser tried to restore the original spatial impression by the of Rudolf von Weyr created new Neo-Baroque stucco ceilings. Only in a few areas (vestibule, staircase, ballroom), the original substance remained. In the palace there are numerous Mamorkamine (marble fireplaces) and stoves from the 18th and 19th Century. The star parquet floors and many original door fittings date from the third quarter of the 19th Century. The facades of the first courtyard are structured by Tuscan pilasters. The arcades on the ground floor have already been closed in 1753. The with a mascaron decorated wall fountain is a work of Rudolf von Weyr. The second courtyard is kept simple. Remarkable at it rear end is the cenotaph for the current owner Karl Wlaschek.
Location/Address: 1010 Vienna, Freyung 4
Activities: The courtyards are freely accessible, the staircase usually also. A look at the state rooms is only possible if these are not just rented.
CIWL 3915 (VSOE)
Bruxelles-Midi - 18 mai 2014
UIC F-VSOE 618706-70 915-0
Ateliers Métallurgiques de Nivelles (1949)
One of the highlights of our trip to Venice was when we - by accident - saw the Orient Express.
It was already quite late and on our walk to the hotel, we decided to have a quick look at the trainstation.
Great was my enthousiasm when I discovered the Orient Express, almost ready to take off.
Offcourse I had to see the entire train (it's really a looooonnnng train) and I took lots of pictures (showing some of them below)!!
Should you wonder what a trip with the Orient Express would cost you: look here and find out ;)
Unless you were press, had something to do with the new film version of 'Murder On The Orient Express' or were an invited guest this was as close as you could get to the visiting Orient Express at St Pancras International today. Or perhaps if you were catching a Eurostar at the time you might have got a shot...
In reality it was just a rake of the authentic coaches that had been hauled through the tunnel by a couple of Channel Tunnel Krupp Diesel Locomotives. Sat on Platform 10 they were being used for a promotional feature for the release of the new film tomorrow...
Class 67 No.67014 at Ipswich on the rear of a Norwich - Ipswich - Peterborough and return Orient Express working on 12th February 2005.The 67 was built by Alstom in Valencia Spain and arrived at Newport Docks aboard the 'M.V.STELLANOVA' on 9th March 2000.
The new category of SUITE has been announced for Venice Simplon-Orient-Express.
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Suite is ranked between Grand Suite and the Historic Twin cabin.
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Suite is bookable now, for departures from 15 June 2023.
The Venice Simplon-Orient-Express Suite offers all the grandeur of the established cabins with the added benefit of a private ensuite bathroom as well as double bed or twin beds, and a daytime configuration.
Tren 23001 "Venice Simplon Orient Express" cruzando el puente de salida de la estación central de Estocolmo en dirección a Malmö.
Estocolmo C, 12-04-2013.
------------------------------------
Train 23001 "Venice Simplon Orient Express" crossing the bridge outside Stockholm Central station on its way to Malmö.
Stockholm C, 12-04-2013.
Certainly the best-known luxury train, travelling on the ‘Orient Express’ is considered an essential rite of passage for anyone seeking sophisticated experiences and life-long memories.
The legendary Orient Express train is a work of art in itself and a true Art Deco icon that is famous the world over. Romance, adventure and the mystery of the past are all intimately bound up in journeys that visit some of the most alluring continental cites. As with many trains of this style, it is evocative of a more gracious, elegant age of travel. Delightful vintage cabins, gastronomic cuisine with delicious afternoon teas and exquisite four course dinners along with lively on-board entertainment make a journey aboard this iconic train one of the world’s finest travel experiences.
Photos: VSOE Ltd
In Belgien irgendwo auf einem Gleis steht dieser wunderschöne Eisenbahnwaggon. So wie ich es im Internet gelesen habe, ist es ein Waggon aus dem Jahre 1936 und wurde von der belgischen Firma Baume & Marpent gebaut. Kaum zu glauben wie gut der Innenraum noch erhalten ist und ich habe auch noch nie in so weichen Sitzen gesessen. Schade, das es soetwas heutzutage nicht mehr gibt.
Arrived on North Central Rail station - BUCHAREST.
The legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express
offers a travel experience unlike any other.
Romance, adventure and pleasure are all intimately bound up in journeys that criss-cross Europe between some of the world's most alluring cities.
The carriages which today form the famous Venice Simplon-Orient-Express each have a history of their own, with long years of service criss-crossing the frontiers of Europe, operating for a variety of railway companies.
CIWL 3553 (VSOE)
Bruxelles-Midi - 18 mai 2014
UIC F-VSOE 61 87 06-70 553-9
Entreprises Industrielles Charentaises (1929)
Having run around the train and propelled the stock down to the depot at Hereford, 33010 & 33204 wait in the pouring rain, for the return ECS working of the Orient Express back to Cheltenham. 19th March 1987.
Certainly the best-known luxury train, travelling on the ‘Orient Express’ is considered an essential rite of passage for anyone seeking sophisticated experiences and life-long memories.
The legendary Orient Express train is a work of art in itself and a true Art Deco icon that is famous the world over. Romance, adventure and the mystery of the past are all intimately bound up in journeys that visit some of the most alluring continental cites. As with many trains of this style, it is evocative of a more gracious, elegant age of travel. Delightful vintage cabins, gastronomic cuisine with delicious afternoon teas and exquisite four course dinners along with lively on-board entertainment make a journey aboard this iconic train one of the world’s finest travel experiences.
Photos: VSOE Ltd
Tren 23000 "Venice Simplon Orient Express" cruzando el puente de acceso a la estación central de Estocolmo.
Estocolmo C, 11-04-2013.
------------------------------------
Train 23000 "Venice Simplon Orient Express" crossing the bridge seconds before entering Stockholm Central station.
Stockholm C, 11-04-2013.
CIWL 4110 (VSOE)
Bruxelles-Midi - 18 mai 2014
UIC F-VSOE 618708-70 110-6
Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company (1927)
Resting on seemingly random sticks poking from a wall... as we made our way uphill and back towards our hotel. Old Istanbul, Turkey