View allAll Photos Tagged Defence

Southern Botswana -- Maj. Gen. (NC) Greg Lusk, Adjutant General of the NCNG, speaks with Sgt. Maj. Jacob Sebeella the Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of this southern area of Botswana’s border operations. Lusk along with Maj. Gen. Edward Leacock of the Defense Intelligence Agency, Army Col Andrew Frank of the Theater Intelligence Group and Marine Col. Patrick Looney of AFRICOM’s Joint Operations Center who were in Botswana for several days in November to discuss the interrelation of military operations and military intelligence. The AFRICOM sponsored visit included an operational visit to BDF units in the field conducting security operations. After receiving an update brief the American delegation visited an outpost where Soldiers stand vigilant to interdict illegal activity. (US Army photo by Maj. Matt Handley, Office of Security Cooperation, Botswana, AFRICOM)

30, 40 & 50 Year Long Service Medal Presentation at Dublin Castle, Friday 21st November 2014.

Irish Military Static Line Parachute Course

 

Members of the Irish Defence Force during the Military Static Line Parachute Course at the Defence Forces Training Centre – 29th March 2012

 

Photos: Sgt Paul Brady

Israeli Soldiers from the Nitzan Battalion, Field Intelligence

Long exposure shots of the sea defences along the South Coast (Elmer)

UK Chief of Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Houghton has an official call on General Tanasak Patimapragorn, Chief of Defence Forces, Royal Thai Armed Forces at Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters

Israeli female soldiers man an army checkpoint at the borderpoint between Israel and Egypt, north of the Red Sea town of Eilat on August 19, 2011, one day after a series of deadly attacks near the Israeli resort in which eight Israelis were killed in an operation the Jewish state blamed on the Gaza-based Popular Resistance Committees (PRC).

陸上自衛隊 富士総合火力演習

Found on the Sea defences at Happisburg, Norfolk england

(From left to right) Gen. Mark A. Milley, U.S. chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Maj. Gen. Allan M. Pepin, commanding general, Joint Task Force -National Capital Region and the U.S. Army Military District of Washington; and Charles R. Alexander, Jr., superintendent, Arlington National Cemetery wait for Gen. Bipin Rawat (not pictured), Chief of Defence Staff of the Indian Armed Forces outside of the Memorial Amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, Sept. 30, 2021. Rawat participated in an Armed Forces Full Honors Wreath-Laying Ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. (U.S. Army photo by Elizabeth Fraser / Arlington National Cemetery / released)

  

Title: Spartan Air Defence vehicle carrying Starstreak missile 43 (Lloyds Company) Battery

Date: 2002

Location: Charlie Crossing Salisbury Plain

Photographer: T.J. Neate

Irish Military Static Line Parachute Course

 

Members of the Irish Defence Force during the Military Static Line Parachute Course at the Defence Forces Training Centre – 29th March 2012

 

Photos: Sgt Paul Brady

Concrete armour units, forming a rubble mound breakwater defence, at the root of the Brighton marina east breakwater close to where it meets the beach.

 

Part of a set, Brighton Seafront at Night

Irish Military Static Line Parachute Course

 

Members of the Irish Defence Force during the Military Static Line Parachute Course at the Defence Forces Training Centre – 29th March 2012

 

Photos: Sgt Paul Brady

This is what it was all for, after eight longs months of training and a brutal 90km march, the young Paratroopers wear their red berets with pride.

 

At the end of the gruesome eight month training that recruits of the IDF’s Paratroopers Brigade have to complete their final challenge. Before the recruits will be fully fledged soldiers of the Paratrooper’s Brigade they have to finish their ‘Masa Kumta’, which translates to ‘Beret March’. This is an all night 90km march in full gear, through any kind of weather, at the end of which young Paratroopers receive their red berets. This signifies the end of their training and full admission to the active forces of the Paratrooper’s Brigade.

 

Photos:Israel Defence Force

Friday, June 10. LUBLIN, Poland — Polish infantry battalion reinforced with Ukrainian airborne platoon under LITPOLUKRBRIG command finished live-firing period and began to conduct tactical trainings during ANAKONDA 16 Exercise in Nowa Dęba.

 

According to peace-support operation scenario proceeding by the Multinational Brigade, where the Commander is Brigadier General Adam Joks, Polish-Ukrainian Company took over a defence in face of an adversary and performed a maneuver.

 

Afterward, as a result of well-coordinated actions Polish infantry soldiers and Ukrainian paratroopers rushed upon Hummers in flank and back of the attacking counterforce. Surrounded adversary ceased and withdrew.

 

“During last few days together with Polish partners we achieved desired mutual understanding of tasks and unity of efforts. We live and train together, learn from each other and it facilitates better coordination and subordination. We have a bit different approach in conducting tactical tasks but our cohesion erases all the borders and leads to success,” commented Captain Yurij Rudenko, Airborne Company Commander.

 

Deputy LITPOLUKRBRIG Commander Colonel Volodymyr Yudanov added that such a combined training practice is very fruitful. It contributes to synchronizing affiliated elements and developing interoperability for future real-life operations.

 

Під час тактичної підготовки в ході навчання “Анаконда-2016” польсько-український підрозділ відпрацював оборону та контрнаступ

 

На полігоні Нова Демба у Польщі механізований батальйон ЛИТПОЛУКРБРИГ, підсилений українським аеромобільним взводом, закінчив період вогневої підготовки та приступив до виконання тактичних завдань в рамках навчання “Анаконда-2016”.

 

Відповідно до сценарію операції зі стабілізації багатонаціональної бригади, польсько-українська рота виконувала завдання у визначеному районі. При наближенні противника підрозділ зайняв оборону та виконав маневр.

 

Після цього польські піхотинці і українські десантники на Хаммерах швидко вийшли у фланг і тил атакуючого підрозділу. Оточений противник був змушений відступити.

– Протягом кількох днів ми досягли повного порозуміння з польськими партнерами щодо виконання завдань. Ми живемо і тренуємося разом, що сприяє кращій координації і субординації. У нас дещо відрізняються підходи з виконання тактичних завдань, але згуртованість стирає всі межі і дозволяє досягати успіхів, – розповів командир аеромобільної роти капітан Юрій Руденко.

 

Заступник командира ЛИТПОЛУКРБРИГ полковник Володимир Юданов зазначив, що такий комбінований підхід до навчання є продуктивним. Він полегшує взаємодію підпорядкованих підрозділів і забезпечує підвищення їх взаємосумісності під час миротворчих операцій.

 

Фото: Олександр Гайн

 

The Irish Defence Forces parachute Team are made up exclusively of Defence Forces members who compete in international competitions and oversee parachute training, which is an essential military skill, within the Defence Forces. 16th June 2011

30, 40 & 50 Year Long Service Medal Presentation at Dublin Castle, Friday 21st November 2014.

KFOR Medal Parade and St Patricks Day and Visit of GOC

A Bedouin soldier examines the ground for markings at the border of Israel and the Gaza Strip May 19, 2014 in Nahal-Oz, Israel. The IDF's tracking unit, mostly made up of Bedouin soldiers from 25 different tribes, was created in order to patrol for infiltrators and possible terror activity along Gaza/Israel border.

River Dargle Flood Defence Scheme.

These images were taken during the second week of October, 2016.

 

Still continued traffic around the storage areas along The Slang/Rehills section of the river bank, though not as intense as the previous month. Mostly of the traffic now is involved in the shipping out of the mounds of soil.

Yea, really. Who knew!

 

When I look back at the images of this section during the summer months, it's baffling to see how much the clean contoured profile of the river bank terrace has changed (again).

 

Seems like every time they do this, and we believe it is a 'finished' piece of work, they confound us later by ripping it up all over again.

I know there is value in maintaining this area as a smooth accessible strip. But the degree of attention they apply to this is then wasted by the randomness with which they undo all the previous work.

 

I call it the 'Biggest Sandpit/Playarea' in Wicklow, in Leinster, in Ireland.

 

A Grade

 

Round 6 of the CHNL saw a depleted Hepburn take on Creswick. For the 2nd week in a row the Burra’s were forced to line up with 2 players out injured. Confident in their squad, the competition leaders tried various line ups throughout the game until they quickly settled. Captain Libby Purtell at Goal Attack was instrumental in providing Hepburn with plenty of options in attack. Purtell maintained her 100% accuracy throughout the first half and was supported brilliantly by sharp shooter Jane Lienhop at Goal Shooter.

 

Creswick managed to keep the mid-court battle alive by providing sharp drives to the circle; however the Burra’s defensive pressure in the circle from Ebony Place saw the ball turned over time and time again. The junior of Hepburn’s team,18 year old Tara Ford clocked up her 150th game for the club in great style at Goal Defence. Ford seems to be taking every opportunity in seniors to develop her game with the help of Place at Goal Keeper. However it was wing attack Brydie Taig that stood up to the challenge and lifted the Burra’s confidence. Taig was named Hepburn’s best on court thanks to her speed and sharp feeding into the circle. Hepburn ran out winners 53 to 17.

 

The Mo Shepherd award went to Hannah Cameron-Taylor and Libby Purtell for outstanding work.

 

Goals: Jane 74% 40/54, Libby 80% 12/15

  

B Grade

 

Hepburn’s reserves were also focussed on keeping their unbeaten run to the finals alive. The Burras got off to a shaky start as they tried to adjust to Creswick’s style. Moving Janee Brown into Centre in the second quarter was all it took to lift the Burras confidence and provide a 24 to 9 lead at half time.

 

Courtney Wetzel at Goal Defence, Kristi Pedretti at Goal Keeper and Caitlan Ryan at Wing Defence stepped up in the second half and kept Creswick scoreless until the final minutes of the game. Wetzel provided one of her best games of netball this year getting her hands on ever pass that came her way. Final scores Hepburn 53 to 13.

 

The Mo Shepherd award went to Caitlan Ryan and Janee Brown

 

Goals: Mel Penny 75% 41/55, Tania Grant 92% 12/13

A Grade

 

Round 6 of the CHNL saw a depleted Hepburn take on Creswick. For the 2nd week in a row the Burra’s were forced to line up with 2 players out injured. Confident in their squad, the competition leaders tried various line ups throughout the game until they quickly settled. Captain Libby Purtell at Goal Attack was instrumental in providing Hepburn with plenty of options in attack. Purtell maintained her 100% accuracy throughout the first half and was supported brilliantly by sharp shooter Jane Lienhop at Goal Shooter.

 

Creswick managed to keep the mid-court battle alive by providing sharp drives to the circle; however the Burra’s defensive pressure in the circle from Ebony Place saw the ball turned over time and time again. The junior of Hepburn’s team,18 year old Tara Ford clocked up her 150th game for the club in great style at Goal Defence. Ford seems to be taking every opportunity in seniors to develop her game with the help of Place at Goal Keeper. However it was wing attack Brydie Taig that stood up to the challenge and lifted the Burra’s confidence. Taig was named Hepburn’s best on court thanks to her speed and sharp feeding into the circle. Hepburn ran out winners 53 to 17.

 

The Mo Shepherd award went to Hannah Cameron-Taylor and Libby Purtell for outstanding work.

 

Goals: Jane 74% 40/54, Libby 80% 12/15

  

B Grade

 

Hepburn’s reserves were also focussed on keeping their unbeaten run to the finals alive. The Burras got off to a shaky start as they tried to adjust to Creswick’s style. Moving Janee Brown into Centre in the second quarter was all it took to lift the Burras confidence and provide a 24 to 9 lead at half time.

 

Courtney Wetzel at Goal Defence, Kristi Pedretti at Goal Keeper and Caitlan Ryan at Wing Defence stepped up in the second half and kept Creswick scoreless until the final minutes of the game. Wetzel provided one of her best games of netball this year getting her hands on ever pass that came her way. Final scores Hepburn 53 to 13.

 

The Mo Shepherd award went to Caitlan Ryan and Janee Brown

 

Goals: Mel Penny 75% 41/55, Tania Grant 92% 12/13

A Bedouin soldier patrols the border of Israel and the Gaza Strip May 19, 2014 in Nahal-Oz, Israel. The IDF's tracking unit, mostly made up of Bedouin soldiers from 25 different tribes, was created in order to patrol for infiltrators and possible terror activity along Gaza/Israel border.

UK Secretary State for Defence, Michael Fallon and other Defence Ministers of NATO signing the Joint Expeditionary Framework.

28 - 31 2016 at Naqueri Quiton Bitul Goa

  

Aerobatic show

air show

 

Helicopter

 

more pics and videos here goo.gl/Wtkp3J

Paratroopers in the First Snow of the Season

 

Paratroopers at Mt. Hermon trained in and enjoyed the first snows of the winter season – 6th December 2013

 

Photo Credit: Ben Ram David and Tal Lisus, IDF Spokesperson's Unit

 

Paratroopers in the First Snow of the Season

 

Paratroopers at Mt. Hermon trained in and enjoyed the first snows of the winter season – 6th December 2013

 

Photo Credit: Ben Ram David and Tal Lisus, IDF Spokesperson's Unit

 

 

At Pevensey Castle

 

Pevensey Castle: a Saxon Shore fort, Norman defences, a medieval enclosure castle, and later associated remains

The monument includes Anderita Saxon Shore fort, traces of later, Norman defences, an enclosure castle, a 16th century gun emplacement and World War II defences situated on a low spur of sand and clay which now lies around 2km north west of the present East Sussex coastline at Pevensey. During the Roman and medieval periods the spur formed a peninsula projecting into a tidal lagoon and marshland, but coastal deposition and land reclamation have gradually built up the ground around it so that it is now completely land-locked. The roughly oval, north east-south west aligned Roman fort is the earliest of the structures which make up the monument and has been dated to the first half of the fourth century AD. Covering almost 4ha, the fort survives in the form of substantial ruins and buried remains. It is enclosed by a massive defensive wall with a flint and sandstone rubble core faced by coursed greensand and ironstone blocks, interspersed with red tile bonding courses. The whole is up to 3.7m thick and survives to a height of up to 8.1m. The wall was originally topped by a wall walk and parapet. Part excavation in 1906-8 showed that the wall was constructed on footings of rammed chalk and flints underpinned by oak piles and held together by a framework of wooden beams. Investigation of the internal face indicated that this was stepped upwards from a wide base so as to provide extra strength and support. Despite these precautions, a landslip on the south eastern side of the fort has resulted in the destruction of a c.180m length of the perimeter walls and, although fragments of the fallen masonry do survive, most have been removed over the years. Smaller sections of wall have also collapsed along the north western and eastern stretches. The defensive strength provided by the perimeter wall was enhanced by irregularly-spaced, externally projecting semicircular bastions with diameters of around 5m. There were originally at least 15 of these, of which 10 survive today. The fort was entered from its south western, landward approach by way of the main gateway. In front of this a protective ditch 5.5m wide was dug, and, although this became infilled over the years, a 40m stretch located towards its south eastern end has been recut and exposed. The ditch would have been spanned originally by a wooden bridge, although this no longer survives. The main gateway takes the form of a rectangular gatehouse set back between two solid semicircular bastions 8m apart. The 2.7m wide, originally arched entrance is flanked by two oblong guardrooms and the whole gateway structure projects beyond the inner face of the perimeter wall into the fort and is thought to have been originally two or even three storeys high. On the eastern side of the fort is a more simply designed subsidiary gateway, originally a 3m wide archway entrance, giving access to part of the adjacent Roman harbour, now overlain by Pevensey village. The extant archway is a modern reconstruction of the Norman rebuilding of the original entrance. Traces of a wooden causeway which led from it into the fort have been found during partial excavation. Midway along the north western stretch of perimeter wall is a now ruined postern c.2m wide, approached by a curved passage set within the wall. Part excavation between 1906-1908 indicated that the internal buildings which housed the garrison of up to 1,000 men, along with their livestock and supplies, were constructed of timber infilled with wattle and daub. A c.1m sq timber-lined Roman well was found in the south western sector of the fort, at the bottom of which were the remains of the wooden bucket with rope still attached. The well was found to have been filled with rubbish in Roman times and the presence of the bones of cattle, sheep, red deer, wild boar, wild birds, domestic dogs and cats, along with sea shells, gives some indication of the diet and lifestyle of the fort's original inhabitants. Anderita is thought to have been abandoned by its garrison by the latter half of the 4th century AD, and although little is known of its subsequent history until the 11th century, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records a massacre of Britons by the invading Saxons at the fort in AD 491. The Bayeux Tapestry states that William the Conquerer landed at Pevensey in 1066, and the Norman army are believed to have made use of the Roman fort as one of their first armed camps. The defences at Pevensey and the surrounding land were granted to King William's half-brother Robert, Count of Mortain. The medieval defences then went through at least 300 years of development, culminating in the construction of a stone built enclosure castle within the largely intact walls of the earlier Roman fort. It is thought that the first Norman defences took the form of a wooden palisade surrounded by a bank and ditch, and a c.40m length of partially infilled ditch up to 9m wide which survives across the north eastern sector of the earlier fort may indicate their original extent. Limited excavations in 1993-94 showed that the ground surface in the south eastern sector of the fort, in the vicinity of the later stone-built keep, was artificially raised some time before 1200, suggesting that a motte may also have been constructed. The original Roman gateways were rebuilt and a new ditch dug in front of the south western gate. Most of the Norman defences and interior wooden buildings will now survive in buried form beneath the later medieval castle, although herringbone-pattern repairs to the Roman masonry, by then serving as the outer bailey of the medieval defences, also date from this time. Around 1100 the defences were strengthened and the accommodation improved by the addition of a masonry keep in the south eastern sector of the earlier fort. The subject of a complex history of alteration, collapse and repair, the keep utilises part of the earlier, Roman perimeter wall and bastions. It takes the form of a rectangular block measuring c.16.8m by c.9m internally, reinforced by apsidal projections on all sides. Now surviving in ruined form up to first floor level, the keep originally took the form of a tall tower with an entrance on the first floor. A rectangular building measuring 7.6m by 6m was later constructed in the south eastern angle between the keep and the Roman wall. At around 1200 work began on the construction of a smaller, stone-built inner bailey in the south eastern sector of the earlier fort. An L-shaped ditch around 20m wide was dug to define the new enclosure, and this retains water in its northern arm. The material excavated from the ditch and from the destruction of the earlier bank was spread over much of the outer bailey to a depth of up to 1.5m. The ditch was recut during extensive renovations carried out during the early 20th century. The first structure to be built in this phase was the gatehouse to the south west which has an arched entrance between twin, semicircular external towers, now ruined. The basement chambers beneath each tower have ashlar-faced walls and barrel-vaulted ceilings, the southern chamber being entered by way of a newel staircase, the northern by a trapdoor. Both were used to house prisoners. Many subsequent alterations included the replacement, during the 15th century, of the wooden bridge over the outer ditch by a stone causeway. The originally embattled curtain wall enclosing the inner bailey was built within the ditch and inner berm around 1250. This survives almost to its full original height and is faced with coursed Greensand ashlar. Three semicircular external towers provided flanking cover from the narrow embrasures which pierce their walls. Each has a narrow staircase to a basement, a branch staircase off it into the ditch and a room and garderobe, or latrine, at ground floor level. Upper rooms were entered by way of the wall walk and were heated by fireplaces. The basement of the northernmost tower has two rib-vaulted bays, the keeled ribs resting on stiff-leaf corbels. The interior castle buildings continued to be built mainly of wood and these will survive in buried form, although the stone foundations of a chapel were exposed during partial excavation of the northern sector of the inner bailey. Around 20m south east of the chapel is a large stone-lined well at least 15.5m deep, and near this is a pile of medieval stone missile-balls, a selection of those recovered from the ditch. These were thrown from trebuchets during the four sieges of the castle. William, Count of Mortain forfeited Pevensey after an unsuccessful rebellion against Henry I in 1101 and the castle, which remained in the royal gift until the later Middle Ages, passed into the hands of the de Aquila family. The most famous siege took place in 1264-65 when the supporters of Henry III, fleeing from their defeat by the Barons at Lewes, took refuge in the castle. In 1372 the castle was given to John of Gaunt, and during his period of office was used to imprison James I, King of Scotland, who had been seized in 1406, and Joan, Queen of Navarre, accused of witchcraft by her stepson, Henry V. By 1300, the sea had gradually begun to recede from around the castle and its military importance declined as a result. Contemporary records show that the castle walls were constantly in need of expensive repair and by the end of the 14th century were not being properly maintained, although the roof leads were kept intact until the middle of the 15th century. By 1500 the castle had ceased to be inhabited and fell rapidly into decay. The threat of the Spanish Armada led to some renewed interest in the defensive value of the site, and a survey of 1587 records that the castle housed two demi-culverins, or heavy guns. These were sited on the contemporary, south east orientated, M-shaped earthen gun emplacement situated in the outer bailey around 90m north east of the main Roman gateway. This takes the form of a raised level platform c.20m long bounded on the seaward side by a slight bank c.0.4m high and around 3m wide. One of the cast iron guns, manufactured in the East Sussex Weald, is now housed within the inner bailey on a modern replica carriage. From the 17th century the castle passed through the hands of various private owners. Valued as a picturesque ruin during the 18th and 19th centuries, it features in many contemporary engravings and illustrations. In 1925 the Duke of Devonshire presented the monument to the state, and extensive repairs began with a view to opening the monument to the public. These were interrupted by the outbreak of World War II, when the castle resumed its original military purpose of protecting the south coast. The castle was refortified in May 1940 as an observation and command post. It was continuously occupied by regular troops, including Canadian forces and the United States Army Air Corps, who used it as a radio direction centre, and by the Home Guard until 1944. The World War II defences include two pillboxes and three machine gun posts of concrete faced with rubble and flints, carefully concealed and camouflaged within the earlier Roman and medieval fabric. An internal tower was built just to the south of the Roman east gateway and a blockhouse housing anti-tank weapons was built in front of the main Roman gateway. The blockhouse no longer survives. Modifications carried out to the medieval mural towers included lining the interiors with brick and inserting wooden floors. In 1945 the monument was returned to peaceful use and is now in the guardianship of the Secretary of State and open to the public.

[Historic England]

Bilateral meeting between Gudlaugur Thor Thordarson (Minister of Defence, Iceland) and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg

Bedouin soldiers prepare to patrol the border of Israel and the Gaza Strip May 19, 2014 in Nahal-Oz, Israel. The IDF's tracking unit, mostly made up of Bedouin soldiers from 25 different tribes, was created in order to patrol for infiltrators and possible terror activity along Gaza/Israel border.

River Dargle Flood Defence Scheme.

 

These images were taken during the third week of October 2016.

 

Meanwhile, at the Silverbridge site, adjacent to the N11 dual-carriageway:

We last visited here 2 years ago in November 2014, where bank stabilisation works involving excavation, repair and building of a support wall structure were being carried out by JONS Construction on behalf of the National Roads Authority.

 

We would occasionally catch sight of this work in the distance. Quite an impressive little piece of structural engineering.

Having built a retaining concave wall, backfilled for solidity, they were also drilling, fixing and sealing ground anchors to pin the entire structure together.

 

flic.kr/p/paSU8U

 

Now we see that further works are being undertaken.

Word has it that extra ‘stabilisation work’ has to be done to protect the integrity of the riverbank. At the section here we can see that there’s not much space between the edge of the rock face and the Armco at the side of the dual-carriageway.

Have yet to determine what precisely that will entail. Serious work to re-inforce the side access ramp down to the river.

 

Gabions consist of steel ‘baskets’ filled with rock pieces. They are filled and then fixed together to provide protection and strength to the existing river bank. They allow ground water to flow through them which helps prevent waterlogging of the bank behind them. Existing examples of these were used, back in 2012, to line the north bank of the existing riverbank adjacent to The Slang/Rehills stretch.

Long shallow versions of gabions, known as ‘mattresses’, were used to cover the excavated riverbed, and also to protect the edges of the river channel, particularly at bends in the river.

 

Working in these confined spaces puts a premium of safety and communication.

 

The guys have hard-filled a working shelf on the riverbed, to allow machinery access to the rockface. Obviously some serious drilling is called for before some form of extra 'pinning' is put in place.

 

River Dargle Flood Defence Scheme.

These images were taken during the first week of October 2012, tracking the on-going river bank alterations and excavation of the river bed. In preparation for the river-bank strengthening/protection along this stretch of the river, a 2nd channel was created -- with the intention of diverting the river. Having endured a similar flooding only days earlier, another heavy fall of rain caused the channels to fill up again. It meant starting all over again - draining this road/bank side channel, cutting a release channel near the bridge to release the volume, and activating pumps to assist with the repeated drainage. Matters were never helped by the overflow pipe which siphoned run-off from the adjacent motorway! Always quite amazing to see how water levels could drain away within a few days. The question would always be -- how much work could be completed before the (inevitable) next run of water? As we can see, one or two day's intense rain could produce rapid flooding of channels, swamping on-going works, and causing temporary vehicle access paths to have to be repaired. And these access ramps were proving difficult to navigate for the fully-laden dumpers/trucks. One hell of a wet and messy place to be working, especially for the guys on foot.

Gabions consist of steel ‘baskets’ filled with rock pieces. They are filled and then fixed together to provide protection and strength to the existing river bank. They allow ground water to flow through them which helps prevent waterlogging of the bank behind them. Existing examples of these can be seen (here) on the North bank to the rear of the La Vallee Apartments.

Long shallow versions of gabions, known as ‘mattresses’, are used to protect the edges of the river channel, particularly at bends in the river.

At this section of the river, behind the La Vallee Apartments, the guys are continuing the bank protection work: rolling down strips of membrane, prior to being stapled into the bank. This is a slightly less complicated process to that used on the higher/steeper slopes further up-river, where they drilled/filled 6-foot hollow tubes into the faces of the bank.

1 2 ••• 22 23 25 27 28 ••• 79 80