View allAll Photos Tagged Castrum
Kršan (Italian: Chersano, Istro Romanian: Cârșån) is a village and municipality in the eastern part of Istria County, Croatia
The castle is first mentioned in 1274 as Castrum Carsach, in a peace agreement between Aquileia patriarch Raimondo della Torre, and Count Albert I of Gorizia who in the conflict that started in 1268 during patriarch Gregorio di Montelongo conquered and destroyed the fortified settlement. It was abandoned until the 13th or early 14th century, when it was rebuilt by Heinrich III. Until 1374, when counts of Gorizia became extinct, it was in duality of governance, between the real masters Counts of Gorizia, and Aquileia church in which name the Counts ruled over the castle. When the counts extinct it wasn't returned to Aquleia patriarchs (the state Patria del Friuli), but was inherited by Habsburg family.
.
The Habsburg family gave it to their vassal Krotendorfer or Cherstlein family, who after the castle had attribute "Karscheyner", and later also acquired Šumber castle. Since then the castle is mentioned as Kršan (Kerschan). They kept it until 1631, with short interruptions when its lords were families Devinski (1388–99), Walsee (1399-1431) and Wolf (1431–36). Later as lords are mentioned de Fini, Auersperg, Rampelli, Benvenuti dell Argenti, Josip de Sussani (who found the Istrian Demarcation from 13th-14th century), then his nephew Franjo Scribani, then nobleman from Plomin Matija Tonetti, and as last Giovanni Tonetti.
From the medieval castle is well preserved the tower of quadrangular layout, while residential and defensive complex was renovated in new residential buildings. The town is entered on the east side of the completely preserved city gate, on the right hand the city defense wall leans a number of houses of which the first is the old municipal house. In the inner courtyard of the castle has been preserved foursquare frame of Gothic portal from the 15th century, and well throat with engraved year 1666. The two-nave parish church of St. Antun was built in the 17th century, and the most of the church furniture dates from the 18th century. At the cemetery is nave chapel of St. Jakov from the 15th century. On the floor of the church, paved with brick and stone, are gravestones of feudal lords from the 15th, 16th and 17th century, particularly the plate from 1415 of Juraj Kršanski in a Latin epitaph inscribed with Gothic letters.
Rheinthermen Augusta Raurica ( Baujahr um 260 nach Christus - Römer Römische Ruinen Therme Bad Badeanlage ) im Kastell - Castrum Rauracense der ehemaligen Stadt der Römer - Römerstadt Augusta Raurica im heutigen Kaiseraugst im Kanton Aargau der Schweiz
.
.
.
**************************************************************************************************************
.
.
Ausflug nach B.asel am Samstag den 06. August 2016
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.ern über B.asel nach K.aiseraugst
.
.
Besichtigung der r.ömischen R.uinen in K.aiseraugst
.
.
Mit dem S.chiff C.hristoph M.erian von K.aiseraugst bis B.asel D.reiländereck
.
.
S.paziergang durch die A.ltstadt B.asel
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.asel zurück nach B.ern
.
.
**************************************************************************************************************
.
.
Kamera : Canon EOS 550D N
Objektiv : -
Modus : P
Zeit in Sekunden : -
ISO : Auto
B.litz : -
.
.
**************************************************************************************************************
Hurni160806 AlbumZZZZ160806AusflugBasel KantonAargau AlbumRömerinderSchweiz AlbumRömerstadtAugustaRaurica
E- Mail : chrigu.hurni@bluemail.ch
**************************************************************************************************************
Letzte Aktualisierung - Ergänzung des Textes : 110816
**************************************************************************************************************
NIF
Is a city and municipality on the Târnava Mare River in Mureş County, Romania. Located in the historic region of Transylvania.
During the 12th century, German craftsmen and merchants known as the Transylvanian Saxons were invited to Transylvania by the King of Hungary to settle and defend the frontier of his realm. The chronicler Krauss lists a Saxon settlement in present-day Sighiṣoara by 1191. A document of 1280 records a town built on the site of a Roman fort as Castrum Sex or "six-sided camp", referring to the fort's shape of an irregular hexagon.
Very elegant, ancient and silent small streets in the Castrum area of Pays de Belvés. A very nice detail about this area is that you can't see any modern elements, it gives a view of timeless beauty. An excellent area for a nice walk
Photo: Picturesque, ancient view at medieval Castrum - by © Richard Poppelaars #About_Pixels #Photography (Nikon D90) / #achitecture #square - #urban #medieval #fortifiedvillage / #ArchitecturePhotography at #Bastide #Castrum in #PaysdeBelves, #Dordogne - #France
Castrum Belvès (Est 11th century, +/- 1095), photo August 2013 after +/-918 years. The year 2045 marks 950 years ago in time.
---
Pays de Belves: Castrum - Architecture Photography
The village Pays-de-Belvès used to be called Belvès, it's fortified in the Middle Ages because of its strategic position and came to be known as the "Pope’s city" as it was under Clement V protection. Belvès still bears witness to a tormented past with fortified walls, a castrum (fortified camp), an 11th century auditeur’s tower, 14th-15th century castle and belfry, city hall tower, covered market, hotel with a Renaissance façade and even some ancient troglodyte dwellings. It has been designated as one of the most beautiful towns in France with impressive panoramic views on top of a hill, enough reason to be member of the "Plus Beaux Villages de France".
---
La première mention du castrum de Alegrio date de 1163 lorsque Bernard de Ferreyroles rendit hommage à Bernard Pelet, baron d'Alès.
En 1211, un parchemin du Philippe Auguste indique que le castrum de Allegrio diocesis Uticensis appartient à plusieurs familles seigneuriales se partagent le domaine d’Allègre sous la suzeraineté de l'évêque d'Uzès.
En 1313, Guillaume de Randon, seigneur dominant du castrum, reçoit l'hommage des huit coseigneurs : Jaussin de Naves, Pierre Jourdan, Pierre Guilhem Bérard, Raymond de Guilhefred, Guerin et Raymond d'Allègre, Raymond de Cadoine et Bernard del Puech.
Inscription aux monuments historiques depuis le 25 juillet 1997.
Motta Filocastro, (secondo lo storico nicoterese Adilardi, il nome di questo paese è composto da Motta, Filos e castrum che significa piccolo ma delizioso paese, eretto su un monte e adatto alla difesa), oltre ad essere un bellissimo Borgo Mediovale circa 200 anni fà era sede del Comune..
Sorge sulla cima di una collina a 360 m sul livello del mare, lungo l’antica via Popilia, nel tratto tra Rombiolo e Nicotera.
Le sue origini si crede che appartiene al periodo fra il VII e il V secolo a.C. per opera dei greci di Locri, in epoca magnogreca, altri da Annibale ecc...
In altri documenti, inoltre, si afferma che Motta è stata costruita dagli stessi abitanti di Nicotera dopo che la città fu distrutta dall'emiro Hasan-ibu-Alì (950 d. C.).
Durante l’Impero Romano era un villaggio ad economia agricolo-pastorale, nel 946, divenne molto popolato, quando gli abitanti di Nicotera si trasferirono a causa delle terribili incursioni dei Saraceni.
Motta nel' IX divenne pure insediamento d’eremiti Basiliani, mentre nel' XI i Normanni ne popolavano la zona, il Conte Ruggero con il suo dominio nella città di Mileto fece erigere, a Motta un castello con 12 torri, dove nel 1097 Papa Urbano II lo visitò, venuto in Calabria allo scopo di mettere ordine nelle pratiche della Chiesa, visitò i castelli di Mileto e di Motta Filocastro.
Con il Regno degli Svevi per opera dell' Imperatore Federico II, Motta divenne centro Urbano ricco ed autonomo, la giustizia si narra era amministrata dai Cavalieri del Tocco che si riunivano proprio al Tocco, si narra che qui i cavalieri stabilivano i turni di guardia, oggi è un bellissimo balcone mozzafiato, (abbellito con sedili di marmo fatti venire da Napoli), dove si può ammirare lo stupendo panorama della Piana di Gioia Tauro, le montagne delle Serre e dell’Aspromonte, lo Stretto di Messina, parte della Sicilia e l’ETNA…
Nel 1260 a fronte della guerra guelfi e ghibellini le varie famiglie calabresi si schierarono contro gli Svevi, da qui in poi e continuando nel 1266 con gli Angioini, Motta ed in genere il meridione fu teatro di violenti sommosse e povertà.
Furono gli Aragonesi ha portare a Motta una nuova speranza, economica e culturale con l'allevamento del baco da seta...
Nel 1506 e per diversi secoli i Pignatelli duca di Monteleone (vibo valentia) ne continuò questa forma di collaborazione al benessere..
Motta alla fine del 1600 era dotato anche di un Ospedale, che serviva ai poveri e ai pellegrini e aveva giurisdizione sui villaggi di Branconi (Caroni), Mandraono (Mandaradoni), San Nicolo (San Nicola), Zimbadi (Limbadi), San Martino, Cassinadi e Mambrici.
Il centro era circondato da mura che ne garantivano ogni difesa, l'entrate da tre grandi porte.
I soldati dei Pignatelli nel 1638 andarano in aiuto alla vicina Nicotera per respingere degli attacchi dei Turchi..
Motta nel 1799 fu dichiarato Comune..
Con una legge del 19 gennaio 1807 il re di Napoli Napoleone Bonaparte elevò Limbadi ad Università nel governo di Nicotera.
Anni dopo, Motta, perse l'autonomia di Comune il 1 gennaio 1830 con un decreto emanato dal re delle Due Sicilie Francesco I., con l'annessione dell'ex Regno delle due Sicilie al Regno d'Italia, Motta divenne anch'esso teatro di scontri, a causa delle varie ingiustizie dei Savoia sul meridione, allorché il brigantaggio impedivano il traffico, effettuando sequestri di persona e uccisioni di possidenti, rendendo impossibile la vita e la coltura delle campagne.
La repressione fu dura e spietata: le teste dei briganti uccisi venivano esposte legate su dei pali ed esposte alla porta dell'Olmo porta principale d'entrata di Motta Filocastro.
Con il malessere economico e sociale nel 1906 nasce il movimento separatista mottese...al quale si erano associati anche i cittadini di Mandaradoni e San Nicola, che chiesero ripetutamente alle alte autorità del tempo il giusto provvedimento visto, la perdita dell'Autonomia di Comune, ma nulla purtroppo per loro tornò come prima.
La fondazione della rocca si fa risalire all'anno 1000 anche se il primo documento storico che ne attesta la presenza è datato 1380. La struttura originaria era costituita da un torrione isolato di forma quadrangolare a pietre già squadrate ed aveva funzione di torre d'avvistamento.
Nel XIV secolo è possedimento di Leonello Acclozamora della baronia di Carapelle. Successivamente, verso la fine del XV secolo, venne concesso da re Ferdinando ad Antonio Todeschini della famiglia Piccolomini che rafforzò la fortificazione dotandola di una cerchia muraria in ciottolame e quattro torri di forma cilindrica ad uso militare. Durante questo periodo la rocca vide crescere il proprio peso economico, poiché posta a controllo dei capi di pecore coinvolti nella transumanza sulla direttrice del regio tratturo per Foggia, ed ai suoi piedi si sviluppò un piccolo borgo, a sua volta cinto da mura. Continua... (Photo Succ.) Da Wikipedia.
Chester is a cathedral city and the county town of Cheshire, England, on the River Dee, close to the England-Wales border. With a population of 79,645 in 2011, it is the most populous settlement of Cheshire West and Chester (a unitary authority which had a population of 329,608 in 2011) and serves as its administrative headquarters. It is also the historic county town of Cheshire and the second-largest settlement in Cheshire after Warrington.
Chester was founded in 79 AD as a "castrum" or Roman fort with the name Deva Victrix during the reign of Emperor Vespasian. One of the main army camps in Roman Britain, Deva later became a major civilian settlement. In 689, King Æthelred of Mercia founded the Minster Church of West Mercia, which later became Chester's first cathedral, and the Angles extended and strengthened the walls to protect the city against the Danes. Chester was one of the last cities in England to fall to the Normans, and William the Conqueror ordered the construction of a castle to dominate the town and the nearby Welsh border. Chester was granted city status in 1541.
The city walls of Chester are some of the best-preserved in the country and have Grade I listed status. It has a number of medieval buildings, but many of the black-and-white buildings within the city centre are Victorian restorations, originating from the Black-and-white Revival movement. Apart from a 100-metre (330 ft) section, the walls are almost complete. The Industrial Revolution brought railways, canals, and new roads to the city, which saw substantial expansion and development; Chester Town Hall and the Grosvenor Museum are examples of Victorian architecture from this period. Tourism, the retail industry, public administration, and financial services are important to the modern economy. Chester signs itself as Chester International Heritage City on road signs on the main roads entering the city.
The history of Chester extends back nearly two millennia, covering all periods of British history in between then and the present day. The city of Chester was founded as a fort, known as Deva Vitrix, by the Romans in AD 70s, as early as AD 74 based on discovered lead pipes. The city was the scene of battles between warring Welsh and Saxon kingdoms throughout the post-Roman years until the Saxons strengthened the fort against raiding Danes.
Following the Norman Conquest in 1066, Chester came under the Earl of Chester. It became a centre of the defence against Welsh raiders and a launch point for raids on Ireland.
The city grew as a trading port until the power of the Port of Liverpool overtook it. However the city did not decline and during the Georgian and Victorian periods was seen as a place of escape from the more industrial cities of Manchester and Liverpool.
Roman
The Romans founded Chester as Deva Victrix in AD 70s in the land of the Celtic Cornovii, according to ancient cartographer Ptolemy, as a fortress during the Roman expansion north.
It was named Deva either after the goddess of the Dee, or directly from the British name for the river. The 'victrix' part of the name was taken from the title of the Legio XX Valeria Victrix who were based at Deva. A civilian settlement grew around the settlement, probably starting as a group of traders and their families who were profiting from trade with the fortress. The fortress was 20% larger than other fortresses in Britannia built around the same time at York (Eboracum) and Caerleon (Isca Augusta); this has led to the suggestion that the fortress may have been intended to become the capital of the province rather than London (Londinium).
The civilian amphitheatre which was built in 1st century could sit between 8,000 and 10,000 people, is the largest known military amphitheatre in Britain, and is also a Scheduled Monument. The Minerva Shrine in the Roman quarry is the only rock cut Roman shrine still in situ in Britain. The fortress was garrisoned by the legion until at least the late 4th century. Although the army would have abandoned the fortress by 410 when the Romans retreated from Britannia the civilians settlement continued and its occupants probably continued to use the fortress and its defences as protection from raiders in the Irish Sea.
Sub-Roman and Saxon period
The Roman withdrawal from Britain was effectively complete by 410 and the Britons established a number of successor states. The area of Chester is thought to have formed part of the kingdom of Powys, whose early kings claimed descent from the exile Vortigern. Chester is generally identified with the Cair Legion ("Fort Legion") listed as one of the 28 cities of Britain in the History of the Britons traditionally attributed to Nennius. In Welsh legend, King Arthur is said to have fought his ninth battle against the Saxon invasion at the "city of the legions" and later St Augustine came to the city to try and subjugate the Welsh bishops to his mission. In 616, Æthelfrith of Northumbria defeated a Welsh army at the Battle of Chester and probably established the Anglo-Saxon position in the area from then on.
The Anglo-Saxons adopted the native name as the calque Legeceaster, which over time was shortened to Ceaster and finally corrupted to Chester. In 689, King Æthelred of Mercia founded the Minster Church of West Mercia on what is considered to be an early Christian site and known as the Minster of St John the Baptist, Chester (now St John the Baptist's Church), which later became the city's first cathedral. In the 9th century, the body of Æthelred's niece, St Werburgh was removed from Hanbury in Staffordshire; in order to save its desecration by Danish marauders, she was reburied in the Church of SS Peter & Paul—later to become the Abbey Church and present cathedral. Her name is still remembered by the St Werburgh's Street which passes beside the cathedral. The Saxons extended and strengthened the city walls to protect the city against the Danes, who occupied it for a short time until Alfred seized all the cattle and laid waste the surrounding land to drive them out. In fact it was Alfred's daughter Æthelfleda, "Lady of the Mercians", who rebuilt the Saxon burh. In 907, she dedicated a new church to St Peter.
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records that, in 973, King Edgar came to Chester following his coronation at Bath. He held his court in a place located in what is now called "Edgar's Field", near the old Dee bridge in Handbridge. Taking a barge up the River Dee from his court to the Minster of St John the Baptist, Edgar supposedly took the helm of the vessel while it was rowed by six or eight tributary "kings" (Latin: reguli, lit. "little kings").
The Chronicles of Melrose and of Florence of Worcester describe that "eight petty kings, namely, Kynath, king of the Scots, Malcolm, king of the Cumbrians, Maccus, king of several isles and five others, named Dufnall, Siferth, Huwall, Jacob and Juchill, met him there as he had appointed and swore that they would be faithful to him, and assist him by land and by sea".
After the kings swore fealty and allegiance they rowed him back to the palace. As he entered he is reported to have said that with so many kings' allegiance his successors could boast themselves to be kings of the English.
Middle Ages
After the 1066 Norman Conquest and the Harrying of the North, the Normans took Chester, destroying 200 houses in the city. Hugh d'Avranches, the first Norman earl (it was first given to a Fleming, Gherbod, who never took up residence but returned to Flanders where he was captured, and later killed) was William's nephew. He built a motte and bailey near the river, as another defence from the Celts. It is now known as Chester Castle and was rebuilt in stone by Henry III in 1245, after the last of six Norman earls died without issue.
Chester's earls were a law unto themselves. They kept huge hunting forests - Hugo was said to have 'preferred falconers and huntsmen to the cultivators of the soil', and Ranulf I converted the Wirral farmlands into another hunting forest. Before Ranulph, Hugo's son had inherited at the age of seven but died in the White Ship, along with the king's heir, William, on his way to England from France, where he was educated under the guardianship of Henry I. Earl Ranulf II, Ranulph's son, even helped to capture King Stephen in 1140, and ended up controlling a third of England after supporting Henry II's claim to the throne.
Other earls were Hugh II, Ranulf III and John the Scot. The traditional independence that Chester had under the earls was confirmed by a charter of Richard II in 1398 stating that 'the said county of Chester shall be the principality of Chester'. The earls are remembered with their shields on the suspension bridge over the river Dee, and again on the Grosvenor Park lodge.
The first earl had endowed a great Benedictine monastery dedicated to Saint Werburgh in 1092 (on the site of the church of dedicated to St Peter and St Paul). The monastery was dissolved under Henry VIII in 1540 and was rededicated to Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary to become Chester Cathedral. Previously, the first Chester Cathedral was begun in 1075 by the first Norman Bishop of Mercia, Peter de Leya after the See was moved from Lichfield in Chester. De Leya's successor moved the See to Coventry and it later returned to Lichfield. St John's became the co-Cathedral and Collegiate Church.
There is a popular belief that it was the silting of the River Dee that created the land which is now Chester's racecourse (known as the Roodee), on which a stone cross still stands which is said to have been erected in memory of Lady Trawst who died as a result of an image of the Virgin Mary called Holy Rood falling upon her in Hawarden church a few miles down the river). But the Roodee was in existence as early as the 13th and 14th centuries, so it cannot have been created by later silting. The silting which led to the creation of the Roodee, in its current form, is well established on a sequence of post-medieval maps dating from the later 16th century. It has also been established by archaeological evaluations and excavations in the area of the Old Port, known as the Roodee tail. Physical evidence for the silting of this area of the city is shown by the building of the 14th-century port watch tower, now known as the Water Tower, which projects from the north-west corner of the city walls. This tower was originally built out into the river. Maps of the 16th century, its archaeological form and related documentary evidence all demonstrate this.
Despite stories to the contrary, the weir above the Old Dee Bridge was not built by the Romans but by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester between 1077 and 1101 to hold water for his river mills. The purpose of the weir on the river was to keep water levels high for these mills, one of which gave rise to the traditional song "Miller of Dee", which reflects the attitude of the happy miller who was granted a monopoly on grinding. It also prevents the salty tidal waters from entering the Dee fresh water basin.
Chester's port flourished under Norman rule. In 1195 a monk, Lucian, wrote 'ships from Aquitaine, Spain, Ireland and Germany unload their cargoes of wine and other merchandise'. In fact wine was imported through only four other English ports. During the 13th century Chester was famous for its fur trade and even by the mid-16th century the port was importing large amounts of fur and skins. In 1543 one ship alone brought in '1600 shhep fells, 68 dere, 69 fawne skins and 6300 broke (badger skins)' .
However the estuary was silting up so that trading ships to the port of Chester had to harbour downstream at Neston, Parkgate, and "Hoyle Lake" or Hoylake.
Chester's first known mayor was William the Clerk. The second known mayor was Walter of Coventry, who served between 1241 and 1245. The town's third mayor was Walter de Livet (Levett) who was named as mayor in a royal decree from May 1246. (Walter of Coventry and Walter de Livet may be the same person.) During early Chester history, the mayor often held his position for 10 years or more; apparently the early mayor's terms were open-ended.
Tudor and Stuart times
Originally the port was located to the north of the Watergate just below the city wall. To the south of the Watergate the Roodee existed in smaller form than today. The map sequence shows the river moving its course from against the wall north of the Watergate out to its current location between 1580 and approximately the 1830s. By the first edition OS map the river had reached its current position. However, it is apparent that some rivulets and inlets have been lost since, although some have been identified in archaeological work on the site of the former House of Industry and Gasworks.
In September 1642 tension between King Charles I and Parliament was growing and civil war looked like it might be a possibility. Charles visited Chester and ensured the election of pro-royalist mayor William Ince. In March 1643, leading Chester royalist Francis Gamull was commissioned to raise a regiment of foot to defend the city. Colonel Robert Ellis, an experienced soldier, was asked to construct outer defences to the city. A series of earthworks were constructed around the city from Boughton through Hoole and Newton to the Water Tower. The earthworks consisted of a ditch and mud wall with a series of 'mounts' or gun platforms were added along with turnpike gates on incoming roads.
Parliamentary forces began to lay siege to the city of Chester. In the early morning of 20 September 1645, parliamentary forces overran the eastern earthworks at the Boughton turnpike and captured the east suburbs of the city up to the walls. They began to construct cannon batteries within range of the city.
A cannon battery placed in St John's churchyard breached the city walls on 22 September near the Roman amphitheatre. A hole some 25 feet wide was made with thirty-two cannon shots. Following the breach an attempt was made to storm the city, but the defenders repelled the charge. According to an account at the time by Lord Byron, the breach was stopped up with woolpacks and featherbeds from all parts of the town. One can see to this day the repairs made to the wall, the section of which is next to the Roman Gardens (see photo below).
On the evening of 23 September 1645, King Charles I entered the City of Chester with 600 men via the Old Dee Bridge. He stayed the night at Sir Francis Gamull's house on Bridge Street. Also during the evening Sydenham Poyntz, a Parliamentarian in pursuit of the King's forces, entered Whitchurch (15 miles to the south) with 3000 horse. A battle looked likely.
Later that evening the King became aware of Poyntz's movements, as a messenger was intercepted at Holt. A decision was made to send out Lord Gerrard's horse troops and five hundred foot soldiers in the morning.
On the morning of 24 September 1645 the Battle of Rowton Heath occurred in moor land called Miller's Heath near the village of Rowton, two miles to the south east of Chester on the modern A41 road. Parliamentary forces crushed the Royalist loyal Cavaliers. The city was under siege at the time by the Parliamentary army. Royalist forces were coming to lift the siege and join up with Scottish allies, but were intercepted by Parliamentary Forces outside Chester.
The engagement lasted all day starting at 9am and continued throughout the day in three stages as Royalists were pushed back towards the City and its walls. The battle was mainly conducted on horseback with musketeers supporting the cavalry's flanks. As the battle went on into the afternoon, more troops were ordered to march out of the Northgate in support of the Royalists on Rowton Moor, but this decision was too late—the battle was already lost.
As the fighting reached the suburbs it was watched by King Charles I and Sir Francis Gamull from Chester's Phoenix Tower (now also called King Charles' Tower) on the city walls. The King quickly withdrew to the Cathedral tower, but even this was not safe, as the captain standing next to him was shot in the head by musket fire from the victorious Parliamentarians who took residence in the St John's Church tower.
The battle cost the lives of 600 Royalists and an unknown number of Parliamentarians. Among the Royalist dead was Lord Bernard Stuart (1622–1645) Earl of Lichfield, the king's cousin. His portrait is displayed in the National Gallery.
Also slain at the same time was William Lawes (1602–1645) a noted English composer and musician. He was buried in Chester Cathedral without a memorial. He was remembered by the king as the 'Father of Musick' and his portrait as a cavalier hangs in the Faculty of Music at Oxford.
Today there is a small memorial to the battle in the village of Rowton. It consists of a brief history and a battle plan of field at the time.
The next day the king slipped out of Chester and crossed the Old Dee Bridge en route to Denbigh. He left instructions for the city to hold out for 10 days more.
By 1646, after having refused to surrender nine times and with Lord Byron at the head of the city's defences, having only spring water and boiled wheat for lunch — the citizens (17,000) had already eaten their dogs — a treaty was signed. The mills and the waterworks lay in ruins. When the exultant Puritan forces were let loose on the city, despite the treaty, they destroyed religious icons including the high cross, which was not erected again for over three centuries. In 1646 King Charles I was proclaimed a traitor beside its base.
Worse was to come. The starved citizens then bore the full brunt of the plague, with 2099 people dead from the summer of 1647 to the following spring.
In 1643 Sir Richard Grosvenor petitioned the Assembly to enclose the Row which ran through the front of his town house on Lower Bridge Street, and his request was granted. At the time he was employed in the Royalist army as a Commander. Some speculate that perhaps the room was being used to organise the Royalist Resistance in Chester. In the years after the war, people further down the street also asked for the Row to be enclosed. Eventually Lower Bridge Street lost its rows. The only trace can now be found at number 11.
Most of Chester was rebuilt after the Civil War. There are many fine half-timbered houses dating from this time still standing today.
Chester port declined with most of the ships going from the colonies now going to Liverpool, although it was still the major port of passenger embarkation for Ireland until the early 19th century. A new port was established on the Wirral called Parkgate, but this also fell out of use. The road to the port of Chester was called the 'Great Irish Road' and ran from Bristol to Chester.
Georgian and Victorian eras
The port declined seriously from 1762 onwards. By 1840 it could no longer effectively compete with Liverpool as a port, although significant shipbuilding and ropemaking continued at Chester. It was once thought that Chester's maritime trade was brought to an end by the silting of the River Dee, although recent research has shown this was not the case. It was the use of larger ocean-going ships that led to the diversion of the trade to the relatively young town of Liverpool and other locations on the River Mersey, which had long been rivals to Chester, such as Runcorn.
In the Georgian era, Chester became again a centre of affluence, a town with elegant terraces where the landed aristocracy lived. This trend continued into the Industrial Revolution, when the city was populated with the upper classes in fleeing to a safe distance from the industrial sprawls of Manchester and Liverpool.
Edmund Halley (of comet fame) was the deputy controller of Chester Castle for a short time and on 10 May 1697 recorded a fall of one inch hailstones in the area. William Molyneux was in exile here from Ireland in 1691 and was working on his book Dioptrics published in London the following year.
The Industrial Revolution brought the Chester Canal (now part of the Shropshire Union Canal) to the city (which was dubbed 'England's first unsuccessful canal', after its failure to bring heavy industry to Chester) as well as railways and two large central stations, only one of which remains. The building of the route to Holyhead involved one particularly notable tragedy, when a cast iron bridge over the river Dee just by the Roodee race course, collapsed. The Dee bridge disaster sent shock waves through the whole nation because there were many other bridges of similar design on the growing national rail network. Robert Stephenson was the engineer to the new line, and he came in for heavy criticism at the inquest held locally. The design was faulty, and many other bridges had to be demolished or replaced. In an attempt to strengthen the brittle cast iron girders of the bridge, Stephenson added tough wrought iron straps along the length of the spans, but, far from improving the structure, added little or no extra strength. A Royal Commission was set up to investigate the problem, and they confirmed the conclusions of the Railway Inspectorate that the design was wrong.
A leadworks was established by the canal in 1799; its shot tower, which was used for making lead shot for the Napoleonic Wars, is the oldest remaining shot tower in the UK.
The Ruskinian Venetian Gothic Town Hall was ceremoniously opened by Prince of Wales in 1869; its design, following a public competition held to replace the Exchange building, which had stood at the centre of Northgate Street until it burnt down in 1862, was by William Henry Lynn (1829–1915) an Irish architect with a practice in Belfast. Along with the Cathedral Church of Christ & the Blessed Virgin Mary, it still dominates the city skyline. The Volunteer Street drill hall was completed in 1868. The three clock faces were added in 1980.
The Eastgate clock was also built at this time, and is a central feature as it crosses Eastgate street, and is part of the city walls. The clock is very popular with tourists, and this has given it the grand title of the second most photographed clock in the UK (perhaps even the World) after Big Ben.
Photo Julien Barro
Spectacle "Downtown Centre-Ville, Episode 1", Par Dahlia Production (CH), écrit et mis en scène par David Deppierraz et Laurence Iseli, avec Vincent David, Salvatore Orlando, Stefania Pinnelli, Isabelle Renaut, Charlotte Reymondin, Anne-Sophie Rohr Cettou, Marylène Rouiller, Valério Scamuffa, musique et atmosphères sonores Stanislas Romanowski, coach chorégraphie Chrystel Romanowska, costumes Scilla Ilardo & accessoires Félicie König.
Festival des arts scéniques les Jeux du Castrum, Yverdon-les-Bains, édition 2012
Direction artistique David Deppierraz & Laurence Iseli
Photo David Deppierraz
Spectacle "Downtown Centre-Ville", Par Dahlia Production (CH), écrit et mis en scène par David Deppierraz et Laurence Iseli, avec Vincent David, Salvatore Orlando, Stefania Pinnelli, Isabelle Renaut, Charlotte Reymondin, Anne-Sophie Rohr Cettou, Marylène Rouiller, Valério Scamuffa, musique et atmosphères sonores Stanislas Romanowski, coach chorégraphie Chrystel Romanowska, costumes Scilla Ilardo & accessoires Félicie König.
Festival des arts scéniques les Jeux du Castrum, Yverdon-les-Bains, édition 2012
Direction artistique David Deppierraz & Laurence Iseli
Le site, occupé dès la protohistoire, s'est transformé en castrum au Haut Moyen Âge. Un château fort a été bâti au xie siècle par les Comtes de Bigorre. Il a été reconstruit par Gaston Fébus vers 1380. Il reste dans la famille des Béarn-Foix qui deviennent plus tard rois de Navarre, et ainsi passe à Henri IV.
Il tombe en désuétude après le rattachement de la Bigorre au royaume de France en 1607 ; c'est la fin des châteaux forts à vocation défensive. Il fut démantelé petit à petit, ses pierres servant alors pour d'autres constructions
Aujourd'hui, le château est en cours de restauration et abrite un musée historique et folklorique du Béarn et de la Bigorre. Le château et le donjon de Gaston Phoebus ont été inscrits monument historique par arrêté du 22 décembre 1941.
Le château de Mauvezin avec son enceinte et son donjon quadrangulaire est un exemple caractéristique de l'architecture militaire méridionale.
Le donjon de trente-sept mètres de hauteur possède des murs de trois mètres cinquante d'épaisseur à la base et de deux mètres au sommet. Ils sont construits, en grande partie, avec des cailloux roulés de l'Arros, mêlés par endroits à des assises de briques. La chaux utilisée provenait des carrières voisines, situées au nord-ouest du château. Les murailles de la forteresse forment un quadrilatère rectangle de trente-cinq mètres de côté sur quinze mètres de haut, consolidées par sept épais contreforts et couronnées par un chemin de ronde de deux mètres de largeur. Les remparts sont surmontés de mâchicoulis.
Le château est en perpétuelle restauration depuis 1906. Six salles présentent un musée folklorique et historique.
(Wikipedia)
The Warp and Weft of Memory
Exhibition Opening at Castrum Peregrini
August 24th, 2018
'There are stains. What are we to do with them? Her sweat has turned brown with time and its acid has etched itself into her white cotton shirts and the lining of dresses. Skin oil has darkened the fingers of leather gloves, and her idiosyncratic walk has shaped the heels of her shoes. Her clothes have been recording devices.'
Excerpt from The Warp and Weft of Memory: www.warpweftmemory.net
In her latest multi-faceted work, Renée Turner explores the contents of Gisèle d'Ailly van Waterschoot van der Gracht’s closet. Although Gisèle passed away in 2013 at the age of one hundred, the traces of her figure can still be sensed through the shape and wear of her clothes. Spanning decades, the range of garments illustrates her fascination with travel, textiles, and design. There are Greek woollen vests, a Chinese silk jacket and several dresses fashioned by the renowned Dutch designer Dick Holthaus. All were meticulously itemized in Gisèle’s own wardrobe inventories. As Turner notes, “Gisèle was a taxonomist of her own life.”
Her clothes and taxonomical fervour are mirrored in her photographic archive as well, which Turner has selectively digitized to create a semantically-driven, online narrative. Combining writing, photographs of her clothes, videos, and illustrations, she personally reflects on her direct encounter with Gisèle’s belongings, the intimacy of the closet and how its content reflects her remarkable life, the history of the Netherlands before, during, and after the War, women and their clothing, the privileges of class, and the persona of the female artist. While each garment has its own story, it can be woven into a larger tapestry of other narratives past and present. In The Poetics of Space, Gaston Bachelard writes: “Every poet of furniture—even if he be a poet in a garret, and therefore has no furniture—knows that the inner space of an old wardrobe is deep.” Turner’s online project and exhibition at Castrum Peregrini traces the depths of those echoes and reverberations and contemplates what will be remembered and what will be reduced to dust.
The Warp and Weft of Memory has contributions by: Frans-Willem Korsten, Kate Pullinger, Andre Castro, Manufactura Independente, Cristina Cochior and Cesare Davolio. The related public program will be posted on the Castrum Peregrini website and facebook page.
Renée Turner is an artist, writer and Research Lecturer at the Willem de Kooning Academy and Piet Zwart Institute. Since 2016, she has been an artist in residence at Stichting Castrum Peregrini. Her research over the past two years has resulted in public lectures, the exhibition and online narrative.
This project was generously supported by the Mondriaan Foundation through the awarding of a two-year grant, Stipendium for Established Artists with Commissioner (WerkbijdrageBewezen Talent + Opdrachtgever). The initial research phase was funded through a Start-Up Grant from the Creative Industry Funds (Stimuleringsfonds Creatieve Industrie).
Photographic documentation of opening at Castrum Peregrini taken by Cristina Cochior and Florian Cramer
The Warp and Weft of Memory
Exhibition Opening at Castrum Peregrini
August 24th, 2018
'There are stains. What are we to do with them? Her sweat has turned brown with time and its acid has etched itself into her white cotton shirts and the lining of dresses. Skin oil has darkened the fingers of leather gloves, and her idiosyncratic walk has shaped the heels of her shoes. Her clothes have been recording devices.'
Excerpt from The Warp and Weft of Memory: www.warpweftmemory.net
In her latest multi-faceted work, Renée Turner explores the contents of Gisèle d'Ailly van Waterschoot van der Gracht’s closet. Although Gisèle passed away in 2013 at the age of one hundred, the traces of her figure can still be sensed through the shape and wear of her clothes. Spanning decades, the range of garments illustrates her fascination with travel, textiles, and design. There are Greek woollen vests, a Chinese silk jacket and several dresses fashioned by the renowned Dutch designer Dick Holthaus. All were meticulously itemized in Gisèle’s own wardrobe inventories. As Turner notes, “Gisèle was a taxonomist of her own life.”
Her clothes and taxonomical fervour are mirrored in her photographic archive as well, which Turner has selectively digitized to create a semantically-driven, online narrative. Combining writing, photographs of her clothes, videos, and illustrations, she personally reflects on her direct encounter with Gisèle’s belongings, the intimacy of the closet and how its content reflects her remarkable life, the history of the Netherlands before, during, and after the War, women and their clothing, the privileges of class, and the persona of the female artist. While each garment has its own story, it can be woven into a larger tapestry of other narratives past and present. In The Poetics of Space, Gaston Bachelard writes: “Every poet of furniture—even if he be a poet in a garret, and therefore has no furniture—knows that the inner space of an old wardrobe is deep.” Turner’s online project and exhibition at Castrum Peregrini traces the depths of those echoes and reverberations and contemplates what will be remembered and what will be reduced to dust.
The Warp and Weft of Memory has contributions by: Frans-Willem Korsten, Kate Pullinger, Andre Castro, Manufactura Independente, Cristina Cochior and Cesare Davolio. The related public program will be posted on the Castrum Peregrini website and facebook page.
Renée Turner is an artist, writer and Research Lecturer at the Willem de Kooning Academy and Piet Zwart Institute. Since 2016, she has been an artist in residence at Stichting Castrum Peregrini. Her research over the past two years has resulted in public lectures, the exhibition and online narrative.
This project was generously supported by the Mondriaan Foundation through the awarding of a two-year grant, Stipendium for Established Artists with Commissioner (WerkbijdrageBewezen Talent + Opdrachtgever). The initial research phase was funded through a Start-Up Grant from the Creative Industry Funds (Stimuleringsfonds Creatieve Industrie).
Photographic documentation of opening at Castrum Peregrini taken by Cristina Cochior and Florian Cramer
Rheinthermen Augusta Raurica ( Baujahr um 260 nach Christus - Römer Römische Ruinen Therme Bad Badeanlage ) im Kastell - Castrum Rauracense der ehemaligen Stadt der Römer - Römerstadt Augusta Raurica im heutigen Kaiseraugst im Kanton Aargau der Schweiz
.
.
.
**************************************************************************************************************
.
.
Ausflug nach B.asel am Samstag den 06. August 2016
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.ern über B.asel nach K.aiseraugst
.
.
Besichtigung der r.ömischen R.uinen in K.aiseraugst
.
.
Mit dem S.chiff C.hristoph M.erian von K.aiseraugst bis B.asel D.reiländereck
.
.
S.paziergang durch die A.ltstadt B.asel
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.asel zurück nach B.ern
.
.
**************************************************************************************************************
.
.
Kamera : Canon EOS 550D N
Objektiv : -
Modus : P
Zeit in Sekunden : -
ISO : Auto
B.litz : -
.
.
**************************************************************************************************************
Hurni160806 AlbumZZZZ160806AusflugBasel KantonAargau AlbumRömerinderSchweiz AlbumRömerstadtAugustaRaurica
E- Mail : chrigu.hurni@bluemail.ch
**************************************************************************************************************
Letzte Aktualisierung - Ergänzung des Textes : 110816
**************************************************************************************************************
NIF
The Warp and Weft of Memory
Exhibition Opening at Castrum Peregrini
August 24th, 2018
'There are stains. What are we to do with them? Her sweat has turned brown with time and its acid has etched itself into her white cotton shirts and the lining of dresses. Skin oil has darkened the fingers of leather gloves, and her idiosyncratic walk has shaped the heels of her shoes. Her clothes have been recording devices.'
Excerpt from The Warp and Weft of Memory: www.warpweftmemory.net
In her latest multi-faceted work, Renée Turner explores the contents of Gisèle d'Ailly van Waterschoot van der Gracht’s closet. Although Gisèle passed away in 2013 at the age of one hundred, the traces of her figure can still be sensed through the shape and wear of her clothes. Spanning decades, the range of garments illustrates her fascination with travel, textiles, and design. There are Greek woollen vests, a Chinese silk jacket and several dresses fashioned by the renowned Dutch designer Dick Holthaus. All were meticulously itemized in Gisèle’s own wardrobe inventories. As Turner notes, “Gisèle was a taxonomist of her own life.”
Her clothes and taxonomical fervour are mirrored in her photographic archive as well, which Turner has selectively digitized to create a semantically-driven, online narrative. Combining writing, photographs of her clothes, videos, and illustrations, she personally reflects on her direct encounter with Gisèle’s belongings, the intimacy of the closet and how its content reflects her remarkable life, the history of the Netherlands before, during, and after the War, women and their clothing, the privileges of class, and the persona of the female artist. While each garment has its own story, it can be woven into a larger tapestry of other narratives past and present. In The Poetics of Space, Gaston Bachelard writes: “Every poet of furniture—even if he be a poet in a garret, and therefore has no furniture—knows that the inner space of an old wardrobe is deep.” Turner’s online project and exhibition at Castrum Peregrini traces the depths of those echoes and reverberations and contemplates what will be remembered and what will be reduced to dust.
The Warp and Weft of Memory has contributions by: Frans-Willem Korsten, Kate Pullinger, Andre Castro, Manufactura Independente, Cristina Cochior and Cesare Davolio. The related public program will be posted on the Castrum Peregrini website and facebook page.
Renée Turner is an artist, writer and Research Lecturer at the Willem de Kooning Academy and Piet Zwart Institute. Since 2016, she has been an artist in residence at Stichting Castrum Peregrini. Her research over the past two years has resulted in public lectures, the exhibition and online narrative.
This project was generously supported by the Mondriaan Foundation through the awarding of a two-year grant, Stipendium for Established Artists with Commissioner (WerkbijdrageBewezen Talent + Opdrachtgever). The initial research phase was funded through a Start-Up Grant from the Creative Industry Funds (Stimuleringsfonds Creatieve Industrie).
Photographic documentation of opening at Castrum Peregrini taken by Cristina Cochior and Florian Cramer
Photo Julien Barro
Spectacle "Downtown Centre-Ville, Episode 1", Par Dahlia Production (CH), écrit et mis en scène par David Deppierraz et Laurence Iseli, avec Vincent David, Salvatore Orlando, Stefania Pinnelli, Isabelle Renaut, Charlotte Reymondin, Anne-Sophie Rohr Cettou, Marylène Rouiller, Valério Scamuffa, musique et atmosphères sonores Stanislas Romanowski, coach chorégraphie Chrystel Romanowska, costumes Scilla Ilardo & accessoires Félicie König.
Festival des arts scéniques les Jeux du Castrum, Yverdon-les-Bains, édition 2012
Direction artistique David Deppierraz & Laurence Iseli
Photo Julien Mudry
Spectacle "Downtown Centre-Ville, Episode 1", Par Dahlia Production (CH), écrit et mis en scène par David Deppierraz et Laurence Iseli, avec Vincent David, Salvatore Orlando, Stefania Pinnelli, Isabelle Renaut, Charlotte Reymondin, Anne-Sophie Rohr Cettou, Marylène Rouiller, Valério Scamuffa, musique et atmosphères sonores Stanislas Romanowski, coach chorégraphie Chrystel Romanowska, costumes Scilla Ilardo & accessoires Félicie König.
Festival des arts scéniques les Jeux du Castrum, Yverdon-les-Bains, édition 2012
Direction artistique David Deppierraz & Laurence Iseli
Legionsspital des Legionslager Vindonissa ( Krankenhaus - valetudinarium - Spital - Militärlager römisches Militär - Kastell - Castrum Vindonissense ) des römischen Legionslager Vindonissa ( Lager Besetzt 14 - 101 und 270 - ca. 406. n. Chr ) im heutigen Windisch im Kanton Aargau der Schweiz
.
.
.
******************************************************************************************************************
.
.
Auf den S.puren der R.ömer in der Schweiz am Mittwoch den 05. August 2015
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.ern nach B.rugg
.
.
L.egionärsp.fad W.indisch :
- F.orschungsr.eise - A.rchäologie e.nträtseln mit den A.ugen eines F.orschers
- Der M.edicus - R.ömische H.eilk.unde in V.indonissa
.
.
- B.esuch der A.usstellung - In G.rund und B.oden - Auf den Spuren der S.empacher R.itter - in der K.losterk.irche K.önigsf.elden
- Besuch V.indonissa - M.useum
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.rugg nach R.heinf.elden
.
.
Mit dem F.ahrr.ad R.heinf.elden - A.ugst - K.aisera.ugst - entlang der r.ömischen W.asserl.eitung - L.iest.al
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von L.iest.al über O.lten zurück nach B.ern
.
.
******************************************************************************************************************
Hurni150805 AlbumZZZZ150805AufdenSpurenDerR.ömer AlbumRömerstadtVindonissa AlbumRömerInDerSchweiz KantonAargau
E - Mail : chrigu.hurni@bluemail.ch
******************************************************************************************************************
Letzte Aktualisierung - Ergänzung des Textes : 111223
******************************************************************************************************************
NIF
Castrum Boldua middle age style restaurant in the castle of Boldogkőváralja, in North-Eastern Hungary. Coming back from a 2-day bike tour in the nearby mountains, we stopped here for lunch in the castle's renaissance restaurant. It was interesting to see that many of the guests were non-Hungarian Slovakians from the neighbouring Slovakia, which was also reflected in the signs on the restroom doors. I am happy to see these two nations getting closer to each other.
Boldogkőváralja, Zemplén megye - Castrum Boldua középkori étterem. Egy kétnapos kerékpártúráról hazafelé indulva a csapatból négyen még ide is beugrottunk, elsősorban ebédelni ebbe a híres reneszánsz étterembe. Az étel jó volt, a hangulatot ügyesen kialakították, és némi meglepetésemre a vendégek jelentős része magyarul nem is beszélő szlovák volt, a mellékhelyiség feliratai is tükrözték ezt az irányt... Éljen a népek barátsága!
Castrum médiéval construit sur un éperon rocheux surplombant la rivière Maronne, les Tours de Merle se trouvent dans les collines et forêts de la Xaintrie. Elle sont une forteresse naturelle dans un pays authentique de la Corrèze : la Xaintrie !
Ce site historique suscite l'imaginaire des visiteurs, grands ou petits !
Classé Monument Historique depuis 1927, inscrit au titre de son paysage, situé en zone Natura 2000 et d'intérêt écologique floristique et faunistique, le site recèle des trésors d'Histoire et de Nature.
Hinweisschild - Hinweistafel : Marschlager einer römischen Legion des Castrum Vindonissense ( Nachbau - Römer - Zelt - Römisches Militär ) ausgestellt im römischen Legionslager Vindonissa ( Lager Besetzt 14-101 + 270- ca.406. n. Chr ) im heutigen Windisch im Kanton Aargau der Schweiz
.
.
.
******************************************************************************************************************
.
.
Auf den S.puren der R.ömer in der Schweiz am Mittwoch den 05. August 2015
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.ern nach B.rugg
.
.
L.egionärsp.fad W.indisch :
- F.orschungsr.eise - A.rchäologie e.nträtseln mit den A.ugen eines F.orschers
- Der M.edicus - R.ömische H.eilk.unde in V.indonissa
.
.
- B.esuch der A.usstellung - In G.rund und B.oden - Auf den Spuren der S.empacher R.itter - in der K.losterk.irche K.önigsf.elden
- Besuch V.indonissa - M.useum
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von B.rugg nach R.heinf.elden
.
.
Mit dem F.ahrr.ad R.heinf.elden - A.ugst - K.aisera.ugst - entlang der r.ömischen W.asserl.eitung - L.iest.al
.
.
Mit dem Z.ug von L.iest.al über O.lten zurück nach B.ern
.
.
******************************************************************************************************************
Hurni150805 AlbumZZZZ150805AufdenSpurenDerR.ömer AlbumRömerstadtVindonissa AlbumRömerInDerSchweiz KantonAargau
E - Mail : chrigu.hurni@bluemail.ch
******************************************************************************************************************
Letzte Aktualisierung - Ergänzung des Textes : 111223
******************************************************************************************************************
NIF
Vindolanda was a Roman auxiliary fort (castrum) just south of Hadrian's Wall in northern England, which it pre-dated. Archaeological excavations of the site show it was under Roman occupation from roughly 85 AD to 370 AD. Located near the modern village of Bardon Mill in Northumberland, it guarded the Stanegate, the Roman road from the River Tyne to the Solway Firth. It is noted for the Vindolanda tablets, a set of wooden leaf-tablets that were, at the time of their discovery, the oldest surviving handwritten documents in Britain.
The Vindolanda site museum, also known as Chesterholm Museum, conserves and displays finds from the site. The museum is set in gardens, which include full-sized reconstructions of a Roman temple, a Roman shop, a Roman house and Northumbrian croft, all with audio presentations. Exhibits include Roman boots, shoes, armour, jewellery and coins, infrared photographs of the writing tablets and, from 2011, a small selection of the tablets themselves, on loan from the British Museum. 2011 saw the reopening of the museum at Vindolanda, and also the Roman Army Museum at Magnae Carvetiorum (Carvoran), refurbished with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Le site, occupé dès la protohistoire, s'est transformé en castrum au Haut Moyen Âge. Un château fort a été bâti au xie siècle par les Comtes de Bigorre. Il a été reconstruit par Gaston Fébus vers 1380. Il reste dans la famille des Béarn-Foix qui deviennent plus tard rois de Navarre, et ainsi passe à Henri IV.
Il tombe en désuétude après le rattachement de la Bigorre au royaume de France en 1607 ; c'est la fin des châteaux forts à vocation défensive. Il fut démantelé petit à petit, ses pierres servant alors pour d'autres constructions
Aujourd'hui, le château est en cours de restauration et abrite un musée historique et folklorique du Béarn et de la Bigorre. Le château et le donjon de Gaston Phoebus ont été inscrits monument historique par arrêté du 22 décembre 1941.
Le château de Mauvezin avec son enceinte et son donjon quadrangulaire est un exemple caractéristique de l'architecture militaire méridionale.
Le donjon de trente-sept mètres de hauteur possède des murs de trois mètres cinquante d'épaisseur à la base et de deux mètres au sommet. Ils sont construits, en grande partie, avec des cailloux roulés de l'Arros, mêlés par endroits à des assises de briques. La chaux utilisée provenait des carrières voisines, situées au nord-ouest du château. Les murailles de la forteresse forment un quadrilatère rectangle de trente-cinq mètres de côté sur quinze mètres de haut, consolidées par sept épais contreforts et couronnées par un chemin de ronde de deux mètres de largeur. Les remparts sont surmontés de mâchicoulis.
Le château est en perpétuelle restauration depuis 1906. Six salles présentent un musée folklorique et historique.
(Wikipedia)