View allAll Photos Tagged Butler
Rhett Butler
Gifted jazz guitarist Rhett Butler demonstrates his unique style of playing two guitars at once. Butler has shared the stage with Tommy Emmanuel, Al DiMeola, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Monte Montgomery, Andy Timmons, and others, and is among the next generation of Texas guitar heroes.
(I ALWAYS USE MY OWN PHOTOGRAPHS. I USE TEXTURES FROM MANY SOURCES).
Win Butler (born April 14, 1980) is the American lead vocalist and songwriter of the Montreal-based indie rock band Arcade Fire. His wife Régine Chassagne and his brother William Butler are both members of the band.
Arcade Fire, Manchester Central, UK
Saw this concert Saturday night.
Rosemary Butler, vocals
Freebo, bass & tuba, vocals
George Friedenthal, piano & keyboards, vocals
Maitland Ward, guitar, vocals
Rosemary Butler has been a backup singer to MANY major stars over the years. She toured with James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, and more. She's worked with Randy Newman, Michael McDonald, Aaron Neville, and a ton of others.
You know that amazing female vocal part in Jackson Browne's "Stay" ? That's her! (BTW David Lindley does the falsetto verse and lap steel lead...I saw Lindley at McCabe's tonight.)
Co. E, 34th MA. Infantry
The Republican Record, Friday, Feb. 19, 1904
Died: Feb. 15, 1904
DEATH OF AN OLD SOLDIER,
PIONEER, GOOD CITIZEN.
R. Butler, one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Neosho county, died at his home over in Centerville township last Monday, February 15, 1904. While Mr. Butler had been having poor health the past year or two, his death was a surprise as he had been feeling exceedingly well on the day and the evening of his death. The cause of death was neuralgia of the heart and the end came peacefully and without a struggle.
In the taking off of Rensselaer Butler the county has lost a good substantial citizen; the neighborhood a good neighbor, the wife a kind husband and the children an indulgent father.
We might write columns telling of the many good acts that Mr. Butler did in his life time, but when we say that although politically he was a Labor Unionist, a Greenbacker, a Populist and a Socialist, and religiously he was a Spiritualist, that he was broad enough and big enough to not let his political or religious views come between him and his friendship for all mankind, we could pay him no higher tribute. In short, he was a man—every inch of him—and he will be greatly missed by an exceedingly large circle of people, for he was a friend to every one who knew him.
He was a Union soldier during the Civil war, enlisting from the state of Massachusetts in which state he as born at Williamstown, on March 21, 1831. He came to Kansas in 1869, settling on the farm over in Centerville, where he continued to reside until his death.
The funeral services were conducted in the M. E. church in Erie yesterday by Rev. J. L. Shinn, of Chanute, a Universalist minister. The Grand Army of Erie, of which Mr. Butler was an honored member, assisted in the services and all that was mortal of him was laid to rest in the Erie cemetery.
History of Neosho and Wilson Counties Kansas, Published by L. Wallace Duncan, Monitor Printing Co., 1902. Pages 318-319
RENSSELAER BUTLER--An extensive farmer of Centerville township, Neosho county, and a gentleman widely and favorably known is Rensselaer Butler of this notice. He came in his present locality in 1869 as a settler from Massachusetts in Berkishire county of which state he was born on the 21st of March, 1831. Charles A. and Annis (Stone) Butler were his parents, the former being a native of Brandford, Connecticut, and the latter of Massachusetts. The father died at fifty-four and the mother at seventy-two years of age. Only two of their five children survive, viz., Charles R. Butler, of North Adams, Mass., and Rensselaer Butler, our subject.
Rensselaer Butler secured a common school education and learned his shoemakers' trade in youth. This he followed till the war came on when he enlisted on the 19th of July, 1862, in Company E, 34th Massachusetts volunteer infantry, three years service. His regiment was one of the heavy losers in battle, in the battle of New Market alone having a casualty list of two hundred men. Butler was in the battles of Piedmont, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Lynchburg, Richmond, Petersburg and the final capture of Lee's army at Appomattox. He was a musician and detailed with the regimental band. During the engagements and following the band was employed as hospital attendants, securing the battlefield for wounded and aiding in dressing wounds in temporary hospitals in some residence or abandoned house, under some big tree or in a tent where several surgeons were operating with rapidity and throwing the amputated limbs on a large pile near by. Mr. Butler was discharged at Richmond, Virginia, after the surrender of Lee and returned at once to his family in Massachusetts. For four years he remained in his native state and then sought the west where land was to be had for the taking and where opportunities for the poor man were opening up. In May, 1869, he entered and settled on the southwest quarter of section 2, township 29, range 19 in Neosho county, Kansas, and erected on it the regulation claim shanty. He proceeded at once in the business of the hour in preparing a place for the reception of his family which came out the next year. Having shipped a sawmill from the east, he hauled it down from Lawrence, the nearest railroad point, and located it on the Neosho river where it was known as the Baldwin & Butler mill and was operated for two years, sawing lumber for the settlers and for Mr. Butler's own residence which was built in 1871. At this time he also laid out his grounds about the residence which include about three acres, with circular drive, now fringed with evergreen and shade trees down to the public highway. His orchard was planted to the west of the house and the large barn and granuary have been erected under the protection and in the back-ground. His soil is a rich black limestone and its productiveness has been in a great measure responsible for the present substantial and independent position of its owner.Three hundred and twenty acres is embraced in his farm and the responsibility for its appearance rests entirely with Mr. Butler and is chiefly the business of his daily life. For many years and while laying the foundation for a property which should meet the demands of old age Mr. Butler's was a busy and intensely active life. All the attibutes and interests of the farm were personally looked after as well as the actual work of its cultivation.
On May 9, 1854, Mr. Butler married Julia A. Bennis, born Febraury 12, 1833, a a resident of Spencer, Worcester county, Massachusetts. She was a daughter of Nathan and Lucy Bennis and is the mother of six living children, namely, Eliza A., wife of L. B. Meekar; William, Nathan B. and Walter R.; Martha J., who married Charles H. Moore, and Ralph A.
Rensselaer Butler represents one of the ancient and honorable families of New England. Born at Williamstown in the Old Bay State, he is Connecticutt antecedents and of mixed English, Irish and Scotch extraction. He inherited substantial traits of character from a worthy ancestry and the fire of patriotism of 1776 is yet unconsumed. His maternal grandfather, Nathan Smith, was a captain of a company of Minute men from Williamstown, was present and took part in the battle of Bunker Hill and at Bennington, and probably also was with Stark at Saratoga. They loved independence and abhorred slavery and the blood of their sons was spilt in its annihilation. Modest citizens and industrious artisans and farmers they have, from first to last, performed their individual portions in the settlement and development of their country.
I am usually a coach girl but I got this for my birthday this year and I LOVE it. My purse has never stayed so neat!!
A more recent photo of Butler in one of his favorite spots, the bath mat on the heated bathroom floor.
Grade 2 listed in 1982, this is the river facing side of the former warehouse and wharfage prior to being converted to expensive luxury accomodation. Built 1873 it was considered the latest in industrial design, featuring fireproof floors, brick-vaulted basements and wrought iron roof trusses. During the 1970's it became home to workshops and artists studios before it was converted into loft apartments and restaurants. This image taken with a Fujica ST605N and the slide scanned on Epson Perfection scanner in 2020.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler%27s_Wharf
Thames 1980-018a
All Rights Reserved © 1980 Frederick Roll ~ fjroll.com
Please do not use this image without prior permission
of course about the only thing vintage is the frame, fork and Simplex retro-friction shifters. The Suntour derailleurs and hubs/cassette are early 90's.
Marcus Butler speaking at the 2014 VidCon at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
Please attribute to Gage Skidmore if used elsewhere.
The corroding plaque commemorates Mick Fowler, ‘Seaman, Musician & Green Ban Activist 1927-1979, for his gallant stand against demolition of workers’ homes, with the Builders Labourers Federation Green Bans…they were hard old days, they were battling days, they were cruel times – but then in spite of it all, Victoria Street will see low income housing for workers again’.
A developer, Frank Theeman, had a grand vision of three 45-storey apartment towers overlooking Woolloomooloo Bay and his companies had purchased the Victorian terraces from 55-115 Victoria Street – planning a massive overdevelopment with more than 2,000 rooms, retail and parking for 3,400 cars.
Fowler, a long time resident of 115 Victoria Street, was one of more than 400 evicted in 1973 from boarding houses and squats there at the time. A legal tenant, he forced re-entry with the help of his friends and began a long vigil that would last hundreds of days. Protesters, headed by the Victoria Street Resident Action Group and the NSW Builders Labourers Union, were attacked by thugs in the street. The green ban stopped union members from working on the site and continued through 1975 after the ‘disappearance’ of Juanita Nielsen, an heiress with a newspaper who opposed the development. An agreement between federal, state and local governments to keep worker housing in Woolloomooloo paved the way for the end of the protests after three years. While apartments were built in the 1980’s, heritage laws helped retain 22 of 33 terraces. The erosion of low cost housing continues to be a major issue for the NSW government.
The Butler Stairs were designed in 1869 with five flights totalling 103 steps. When opened in the 1870’s they linked Victoria Street in Potts Point, at the top of a ridge, to Brougham Street in Woolloomooloo below. They are named for Edward Butler, barrister, Queen’s Counsel, and an Attorney General of New South Wales. He had expected to become Chief Justice, as NSW Premier Henry Parkes had (incautiously) told him the role was his, but Parkes was advised against the appointment, leading to harsh correspondence. When the role was offered to James Martin in 1873, Butler was apoplectic, claiming he had paid a steep price for being Catholic. Resigning as AG, Butler returned to the Bar. In 1879 a driving accident exacerbated a heart condition, and he ‘dropped dead in court on 9 June’.
Cragside is a country house near the town of Rothbury in Northumberland, England. It was the first house in the world to be lit using hydroelectric power. Built into a rocky hillside above a forest garden of just under 1,000 acres, it was the country home of armaments manufacturer, Lord Armstrong, and has been in the care of the National Trust since 1977. The property was opened to the public in 1979.
Cragside, named after Cragend Hill above the house, was built in 1863 as a modest two-storey country lodge, but was subsequently extended to designs by Richard Norman Shaw, transforming it into an elaborate mansion in the Free Tudor style. At one point, the building included an astronomical observatory and a scientific laboratory. The Grade I listed house is surrounded by one of Europe's largest rock gardens, a large number of rhododendrons and a large collection of mostly coniferous trees. One variety of rhododendron is named after Lady Armstrong.
Lord Armstrong spent much of his time as a child in Rothbury to get away from industrial Newcastle to alleviate his ill health. He returned to Rothbury after not having a holiday for many years and decided to build a modest house on the side of a moorland crag. The original house was completed in 1863 by an unknown architect but was transformed by architect Richard Norman Shaw between 1869 and 1884 into an imposing mansion. Cragside is an example of his English Gothic style. The interiors are of national importance for its collection of furnishings, furniture (much designed especially for Cragside), and fine and decorative arts, including work by many other outstanding designers of the age, such as John Hancock and Albany Hancock and William Morris.
In 2007, Cragside reopened after undergoing "total refurbishment."
In 1868, a hydraulic engine was installed, with water being used to power labour-saving machines such as laundry equipment, a rotisserie and a hydraulic lift. Armstrong was inspired by a watermill on the Dee in Dentdale, and in 1870, water from one of the estate's lakes was used to drive a Siemens dynamo in what was the world's first hydroelectric power station. The resultant electricity was used to power an arc lamp installed in the Gallery in 1878. The arc lamp was replaced in 1880 by Joseph Swan's incandescent lamps in what Swan considered 'the first proper installation' of electric lighting.
The generators, which also provided power for the farm buildings on the estate, were constantly extended and improved to match the increasing electrical demand in the house. The 2006 regeneration project included extensive rewiring.
A new screw turbine was installed in 2014; it can provide 12 kW, supplying around 10% of the property's electricity consumption. The new system uses an Archimedes' screw 17 metres (56 ft) long.
The use of electricity in many of the houses gadgets and internal systems has also led it to be described by some as a smart home as it was the first private residence to use incandescent lighting, a dish washer, a vacuum cleaner and a washing machine. One of Armstrong's stated aims of both using and funding these new automation technologies was to "emancipate the world from household drudgery", as shown on a plaque at Bamburgh Castle, his other residence.
The forthcoming Benedict Cumberbatch film “The Current War” was filmed partly at Cragside - the film tells the story of electricity pioneers Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse.
If you invite naked or semi-nude butlers in your party, your guests have more fun and entertainment. They also host your party with you and serve food and drinks.
Visit this link......
Plan of the church of St Peter & St Paul, Butlers Marston, Warwickshire. flic.kr/p/2eu3iFX (Marston = a dwelling on marshy land), was occupied in the 7c by the Hwicce people who converted to Christianity about that time
It was held by Baldwin under Edward the Confessor before 1066, and given by the Conqueror with other estates across the Midlands to Hugh de Greatemisnil who gifted two thirds of all the church tithes on his lands to the Norman abbey of St Eroul.
The 1086 Domesday Survey mentions a priest here implying also a chapel which was probably the size of the present nave.. Soon after 1100 Robert Earl of Leicester acquired these estates from Hugh's son Ivo , and Marston was given to his butler Ralph de Boteler who gave the church to his newly founded priory at Alcester c1175. Thus the name changed to Marston Butlers or Butlers Marston.
Also c1175 a narrow south aisle was added which in 14c was widened and the chancel built on its present lines. Alcester priory paid for vicar's to the parish including Miles of Cirencester in 1306 and Philip of Warmington in 1349
The tower was begun c1450.
After the Mid 16c Dissolution of the priory the tithes , vicarage & advowson were in the hands of the Crown until 1553, when it was granted to Thomas Reve and George Cotton, who sold them on to local landowner Richard Woodward whose father John 1555 had already bought the manor.
Richard Woodward took up residence in the old parsonage house providing a home for the vicar in a much smaller property alongside. He and his descendants continued to enjoy the income from the tithes and to choose the vicars for the next 65 years. Richard died in 1602 a wealthy man, having moved to Stratford leaving his brother Thomas to manage the property . By c1615 the woodwards were accused of allowing 6 houses to fall into decay and converting 270 acres from arable to the more lucrative sheep farming. This boded ill for the village and the population dropped.
By 1616 the parishioners were complaining about the state of the vicarage and the smallness of the vicar's stipend paid by the Woodwards which had not risen much since medieval days.
By 1620 Richard Woodward's sons had more or less sold up, the new owners being the Abrahams who had married into their family. From them it passed again by marriage, to Thomas Newsham under whom things went from bad to worse. By 1674 the vicarage had been let to a "poor family" as no vicar could be found willing to serve for such a small stipend. Ten years later the vicarage was said to be about to fall down. In 1691 Newsham agreed to exchange the vicarage and its land with another cottage of far less value, restoring the old vicarage and land for his own use. He then moved to Warwick but still in 1719 was reported by the parishioners for failing to keep the church in good repair.
Help came with £400 from Queen Anne's Bounty to support poorer parishes in 1735 and another £400 by private donation in 1767. Even so the value of the living by 1782 was still ony £20. No resident vicar could be found and the vicarage was now a "ruinous thatched cottage" being let to tenants. Served by the vicar at Kineton, the lack of a resident vicar meant that many a Sunday passed without a service resulting
in the villagers flocking to the alternative Methodist chapel opened in the 1820s
From the 1760s Christchurch college Oxford had begun buying property in the village acquiring the tithes and the right to nominate a vicar. One of its owngraduates , Thomas Littlehayes became vicar and was provided with a new vicarage to live in, by 1839 he started to refurbish the church, doing away with te huge box pews & putting in benches for the poorer folk. He also started a Sunday School. In his zeal for the village's moral welfare he unsuccessfully attempted to prevent the opening of a beershop run by a known poacher and sheepstealer.
In 1866 another graduate George Fuller Thomaas arrived, who enlarged the vicarage , and during his incumbency of 20 years the church was restored by architect Thomas Naden which included entire reroofing, rebuilding the chancel arch, new chancel windows and the additions of a south porch and vestry. (The earlier steeper pitch of the nave roof can be clearly seen) The biggest change was the rebuilding of the nave north wall, thankfully keeping the 17c nave ceiling intact.
By this time only a third of the villagers were still attending the Methodist chapel.
His next 2 successors completed the work and funded the restoration of the tower
The extended vicarage proved to be too big and expensive for the next vicar Samuel Walton Kay who tried by forgery to augment his income , was stripped of his living and sentenced in 1898 to 12 months imprisonment
The tower has 6 bells; Two are medieval, one inscribed "Sancta Katerina ora pro nobis' ; One of 1662 given by William Loggin & William Abraham; Two where made in 1652 by Henry Bagley; . the tenor with a Latin inscription: 'Vox d[omi]ni ihū xp[ist]i vox exultacionis et salutis.' The most recent in 1947
Marcus Butler speaking at the 2014 VidCon at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
Please attribute to Gage Skidmore if used elsewhere.
Butler's Landing is the english seaside town where Maggie Butler holidayed in my little stories.
Now there are some short stories planned, I thought maybe it could be built in a small scale. These are in progress shots.
Butler's landing UDC ex military lorries. used in summer as coastal beach ferries.
During 1916 the British born Australian architect Walter Richmond Butler (1864 – 1949) designed a new Anglican Mission to Seamen to be built on an oddly shaped triangular block of land at 717 Flinders Street on the outskirts of the Melbourne central city grid, to replace smaller premises located in adjoining Siddeley Street, which had been resumed by the Harbour Trust during wharf extensions.
The Missions to Seamen buildings, built on reinforced concrete footings, are in rendered brick with tiled roofs. Walter Butler designed the complex using an eclectic mixture of styles, one of which was the Spanish Mission Revival which had become a prevalent style on the west coast of America, especially in California and New Mexico during the 1890s. The style revived the architectural legacy of Spanish colonialism of the Eighteenth Century and the associated Franciscan missions. The revival of the style is explicit in the Mission’s small, yet charming chapel with its rough-hewn timber trusses, in the bell tower with its pinnacles and turret surmounted by a rustic cross and in the monastic-like courtyard, which today still provides a peaceful retreat from the noisy world just beyond the Missions to Seamen’s doorstep. The chapel also features many gifts donated by members of the Harbour Trust and Ladies’ Harbour Lights Guild, including an appropriately themed pulpit in the shape of a ship's prow and two sanctuary chairs decorated with carved Australian floral motifs. Some of the stained glass windows in the chapel depict stories and scenes associated with the sea intermixed with those Biblical scenes more commonly found in such places of worship.
The adjoining Mission to Seamen’s administration, residential and recreational building shows the influence of English domestic Arts and Crafts architecture, with its projecting gable, pepper pot chimneys and three adjoining oriel windows. The lobby, with its appropriately nautically inspired stained glass windows, features a large mariner's compass inlaid in the terrazzo floor. Built-in timber cupboards, wardrobes, paneling and studded doors throughout the buildings evoke a ship's cabin.
Walter Butler, architect to the Anglican Diocese in Melbourne, had come to Australia with an intimate knowledge and experience of the Arts and Crafts movement and continued to use the style in his residential designs of the 1920s. The main hall has a reinforced concrete vaulted ceiling. Lady Stanley, wife of the Mission's patron, Governor Sir Arthur Lyulph Stanley, laid the foundation stone of the complex in November 1916. The buildings were financed partly by a compensation payment from the Harbour Trust of £8,500.00 and £3,000.00 from local merchants and shipping firms. The Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild raised over £800.00 for the chapel. Most of the complex was completed by late 1917 whilst the Pantheon-like gymnasium with oculus was finished soon afterwards. The substantially intact interiors, including extensive use of wall paneling in Tasmanian hardwood, form an integral part of the overall design.
The Missions to Seamen buildings are architecturally significant as a milestone in the early introduction of the Spanish Mission style to Melbourne. The style was to later find widespread popularity in the suburbs of Melbourne. The choice of Spanish Mission directly refers to the Christian purpose of the complex. The Missions to Seamen buildings are unusual for combining two distinct architectural styles, for they also reflect the imitation of English domestic architecture, the Arts and Crafts movement. Walter Butler was one of the most prominent and progressive architects of the period and the complex is one of his most unusual and distinctive works.
The Missions to Seamen buildings have historical and social significance as tangible evidence of prevailing concerns for the religious, moral, and social welfare of seafarers throughout most of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. The complex has a long association with the Missions to Seamen, an organisation formed to look after the welfare of seafarers, both officers and sailors, men "of all nationalities". It had its origins in Bristol, England when a Seamen's Mission was formed in 1837. The first Australian branch was started in 1856 by the Reverend Kerr Johnston, a Church of England clergyman, and operated from a hulk moored in Hobsons Bay; later the Mission occupied buildings in Williamstown and Port Melbourne. In 1905 the Reverend Alfred Gurney Goldsmith arrived at the behest of the London Seamen's Mission to establish a city mission for sailors working on the river wharves and docks. The building reflects the diverse role played by the Mission with its chapel, hall and stage, billiards room, reading room, dining room, officers' and men’s quarters, chaplain's residence, and gymnasium. It is still in use to this day under the jurisdiction of a small, but passionate group of workers, providing a welcome place of refuge to seamen visiting the Port of Melbourne.
Walter Butler was considered an architect of great talent, and many of his clients were wealthy pastoralists and businessmen. His country-house designs are numerous and include “Blackwood” (1891) near Penshurst, for R. B. Ritchie, “Wangarella” (1894) near Deniliquin, New South Wales, for Thomas Millear, and “Newminster Park” (1901) near Camperdown, for A. S. Chirnside. Equally distinguished large houses were designed for the newly established Melbourne suburbs: “Warrawee” (1906) in Toorak, for A. Rutter Clark; “Thanes” (1907) in Kooyong, for F. Wallach; “Kamillaroi” (1907) for Baron Clive Baillieu, and extensions to “Edzell” (1917) for George Russell, both in St Georges Road, Toorak. These are all fine examples of picturesque gabled houses in the domestic Queen Anne Revival genre. Walter Butler was also involved with domestic designs using a modified classical vocabulary, as in his remodelling of “Billilla” (1905) in Brighton, for W. Weatherley, which incorporates panels of flat-leafed foliage. Walter Butler also regarded himself as a garden architect.
As architect to the diocese of Melbourne from 1895, he designed the extensions to “Bishopscourt” (1902) in East Melbourne. His other church work includes St Albans (1899) in Armadale, the Wangaratta Cathedral (1907), and the colourful porch and tower to Christ Church (c.1910) in Benalla. For the Union Bank of Australia he designed many branch banks and was also associated with several tall city buildings in the heart of Melbourne’s central business district such as Collins House (1910) and the exceptionally fine Queensland Insurance Building (1911). For Dame Nellie Melba Butler designed the Italianate lodge and gatehouse at “Coombe Cottage” (1925) at Coldstream.