View allAll Photos Tagged docking
What a cool set-up.
This collective Furniture and Fabrication workspace is run by a collective of friendly fellows who definitely know how to throw a bash (DJ Chen Playing Gr8 music- Snow Cones - BBQ Pulled Pork & Brisket Catered by ______?- chilled Lagunitas Beer)....kid friendly - and a seemingly well thought out system to balance the needs of a group of like minded individually owned and operated business's.
Just west of the old Marshall Fields Warehouse space on Diversey @ Pulaski.
Docking Church in Norfolk was another which I encountered while house-hunting last weekend. The church is dedicated to St Mary The Virgin. It mostly dates from the 14th and 15th century with Victorian restorations.
www.flickr.com/photos/barryslemmings/sets/72157634462340597/ to see the full set.
While in the village I was told that there is an archaeological project locally to try and find a lost 12th to 14th century priory. One theory is that this failed priory made be under the present parish church but test digs have been held around the village to play 'hunt the thimble' or - in this case - "hunt the priory', so far without success.
In his three-volume guide to Norfolk churches author Adrian S. Pye suggests that the tombstone of John Houton (d. 1428) near the south porch of Docking Church is the oldest surviving tombstone in Norfolk.
English Jesuit martyr Henry Walpole (executed 1595) was baptised here in 1558. He was later canonized as one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.
SImon_Knott tells me that Docking is the highest town in Norfolk so that makes the top of Docking Church probably the highest building in the county, at least pre-1900.
01) First-gen iPad 3G 32GB in Kensington KeyFolio keyboard case
02) Fiio headphone amp with dock iPhone/iPad/iPod dock connector and headphone jack connector
03) Apple In-Ear Monitor headphones
04) Moleskine unlined notebook
05) Vapur collapsable water bottle with carabiner
06) USB cable
07) SOG EOD PowerAssist miltitool
08) Square credit card reader for iPhone/iPad
09) Improvised paper container of ibuprofen
10) Boxwave capacitive stylus for iPad/iPhone
11) Sharpie Fine/Ultrafine twin-tip marker
12) Sharpie Liquid Pencil
13) Sharpie Pen (doesn't bleed through)
14) Poker chips and Whole Foods green rubber band
The Albert Dock is a complex of dock buildings and warehouses in Liverpool, England. Designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick, it was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built from cast iron, brick and stone, with no structural wood. As a result, it was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.
At the time of its construction the Albert Dock was considered a revolutionary docking system because ships were loaded and unloaded directly from/to the warehouses. Two years after it opened it was modified to feature the world's first hydraulic cranes. Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock became a popular store for valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, tea, silk, tobacco, ivory and sugar. However, despite the Albert Dock's advanced design, the rapid development of shipping technology meant that within 50 years, larger, more open docks were required, although it remained a valuable store for cargo.
During the Second World War, the Albert Dock was requisitioned by the Admiralty serving as a base for boats of the British Atlantic Fleet. The complex was damaged during air raids on Liverpool, notably during the May Blitz of 1941. In the aftermath of the war, the financial problems of the owners and the general decline of docking in the city meant that the future of the Albert Dock was uncertain. Numerous plans were developed for the re-use of the buildings but none came to fruition and in 1972 the dock was finally closed. Having lain derelict for nearly ten years, the redevelopment of the dock began in 1981, when the Merseyside Development Corporation was set up, with the Albert Dock being officially re-opened in 1984.
Today the Albert Dock is a major tourist attraction in the city and the most visited multi-use attraction in the United Kingdom, outside of London. It is a vital component of Liverpool's UNESCO designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City and the docking complex and warehouses also comprise the largest single collection of Grade I listed buildings anywhere in the UK.
The history of the Albert Dock dates back to 1837, when Jesse Hartley first began the development of plans for a combined dock and warehouse system. The plans drawn up by Hartley and fellow civil engineer Philip Hardwick for the Albert Dock were at the time considered quite 'radical', as they envisioned the loading and unloading of ships directly from the warehouses. However, this idea was not new, and as far back as the 1803 Warehousing Act, legislation had been passed to allow this form of development to occur, whilst the concept was first actually used in the construction of St Katharine's Dock in London, which was opened in 1828. As part of the development process, Hartley was eager to test the fire resistance of any particular design by constructing an 18 ft (5.5 m) by 10 ft (3.0 m) dummy structure, filling it with timber and tar, and setting it alight. After testing several structural designs he settled on the combination of cast iron, brick, sandstone and granite. The design was submitted for planning permission in 1839 although it wasn't until 1841, when the bill authorising the design of the dock was eventually passed by Parliament, that construction was allowed to begin.
Jesse Hartley
The site chosen for the dock to be built on was an area of land boarded by Salthouse Dock to the east, the entrance channel to Canning Dock to the north and by Dukes Dock to the south. The land earmarked for the site had to be cleared, with 59 tenants being evicted and numerous premises demolished including a pub, several houses and the Dock Trustee's Dockyard. Upon the clearance of this land both the Salthouse and Canning dock's were drained to allow entrance passages into the Albert Dock to be constructed, whilst hundreds of 'Navvies' were employed to dig out the dock basin and construct the new river wall. The dock basin was completed by February 1845, allowing the first ships to enter the Albert Dock, although with the warehouses still under construction this was merely to allow these boats to 'lay-up'.
The dock complex was officially opened in 1846 by Albert, Prince Consort, husband of Queen Victoria and the man in honour of whom it was named. This event marked the first occasion in Liverpool's history in which a member of the Royal Family had made a state visit to the city and as a result the occasion was marked with a major celebrations. Many thousands of people turned out for the Royal visit with the newspaper The Pictorial Times noting the reception Prince Albert received:
"His reception was most enthusiastic; balconies were erected along the line of procession, and these and the windows of houses were filled with gay and animated parties. There was a most brilliant display of flags, banners & c. All business is suspended. There are 200,000 strangers in town, and all the inhabitants are in the streets. All is gaiety and splendour." (The Pictorial Times, 1846).
The Prince was taken on a processional tour through the city, including a visit to the town hall where the royal address was made, before departing aboard the fairy across to the Cheshire side of the Mersey and then northwards towards the Albert Dock. Again this stage of the procession route was laden with onlookers with The Pictorial Times describing the Prince's entrance into the Albert Dock:
"From the Cheshire side of the river the Fairy crossed to the Liverpool side, and returned along the line of docks amidst the cheers of assembled thousands and the roar of artillery. The sight was really magnificent, all the ships in the docks were decked out in gayest colours and the river was crowded with boats filled with people. At half-past two the fairy entered the dock, where were assembled two thousand ladies and gentlemen, the elite of the town; they cheered enthusiastically, which his Royal Highness returned, and in order to gratify the crowd sailed round the dock." (The Pictorial Times, 1846).
Despite the official opening occurring in 1846, the construction of the Albert Dock was not fully completed until 1847. In 1848, a new dock office was built and the dock itself was upgraded to feature a hydraulic cargo handling hoist system, the first of its kind in the world. Over the next decade several more buildings where added including houses for the piermaster, his assistant & the warehouse superintendent; and a cooperage. Warehousing in the dock was also expanded to meet the increasing demand by joining together the eastern and western ends of the Southern Stack.
ALBERT DOCK LIVERPOOL MAY 2013
A set of photos taken in Liverpool Docks on the 7th July 1973,this is the scene in Brocklebank Dock.
We came over the hill and there was this beautiful little tarn. Only two other people there and so quiet.
Phew, I managed docking a spacecraft to an orbiting space station. That was actually pretty hard to get right. I'm going to need to practice this if I want to make a refuelling station work.
Grimsby Dock Tower is a famous maritime landmark in North East Lincolnshire, England. It was completed on 27th March, 1852 with the purpose of containing a 30,000 UK gallon (136 m³) hydraulic wrought iron reservoir at a height of 200 feet (61 m), to provide hydraulic power (rather than a supply of water) to the lock gates and cranes of Grimsby Docks.[1] The extreme height of the tower was necessary to achieve sufficient pressure. Water towers for water supply purposes don't need anything approaching this height.
An outline of the development of different methods of supplying water under pressure for operating hydraulic appliances may be of assistance in setting the Grimsby Tower in its context. The first hydraulic operation was in 1846 when Armstrong built a crane powered by water from the town mains at Newcastle. Further cranes followed but one major problem was the fluctuating pressure of water in the town mains. At Grimsby Docks, Armstrong decided that the hydraulic machinery (for cranes, lock gates and sluices) should have its own constant pressure supply, so the tower was built to carry a tank 200 feet (61 m) above the ground with a direct feed into the machinery. Small pumps topped up the tank as the hydraulic machinery drew off water. The tower system was brought into use in 1852 working the machinery of the lock gates, dry-docks and fifteen quayside cranes, and also to supply fresh water to ships and the dwelling houses on the dock premises. The water was obtained from a well, fifteen feet in diameter and forty-seven feet deep, with a boring of five inches in diameter to the chalk rock in the centre, situated near to where the Grimsby Evening Telegraph has its present offices. The well was also fed by seven borings of five inches in diameter, at intervals in a length of three hundred feet, which discharged into the well by a brick culvert three feet in diameter.
Water was conveyed from the well to the tower in a cast iron pipe thirteen inches in diameter when it was then forced into the tank by two force pumps, each of ten inches in diameter, worked by a duplicate, horizontal engine of twenty-five horse power. All the engines, pumps and pipes and the whole of the machinery were made by Mr. Mitchell of the Perran Foundry, Cornwall.
During the building of the tower, Armstrong developed another system using accumulators, which at once was found to have great advantages. The working hydraulic pressure was greater, permitting more compact and cheaper machinery and everything was at ground level. the first such installation was at New Holland dock and pier, actually brought into use more than a year before the Grimsby system.
The tower was designed by J. W. Wild and was based around the design of the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena and therefore, is closely related to the tower of Birmingham University (UK). It was built under the supervision of J. M. Rendel, who was the civil engineer in charge of construction of the Royal Dock.
The ground floor of the tower was lined with pink, white and blue drapery when Queen Victoria came with Prince Albert to visit the dock and 'open' the tower October 1854. Her Majesty gave permission for Prince Albert, the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal to accompany Mr. Randel in the hydraulic lift to the gallery running around the tower above the water tank, from which a splendid view of Grimsby, Cleethorpes and the mouth of the River Humber is obtained. The lift is no longer in operation with access to the top via a spiral staircase in one corner of the building. The second balcony is currently used for the transmission and reception of radio signals.
The tower is Grade I listed and is the subject of a Preservation Order. It is 309 feet (94 m) high, 28 feet (8.5 m) wide at the base, and tapers gradually to 26 feet (7.9 m) below the first projection; its walls are 4 feet (1.2 m) thick and narrow to 3 feet (0.91 m) at the string course under the corbels. The bricks of this plain brick tower were made from clay obtained from excavations in the marsh adjoining the docks, and are set in blue lime mortar. Hoop iron bond is used in the walls to a considerable extent. The foundation of the tower is a solid masonry wall built upon a timber bearer piling. Approximately one million bricks were used in its construction. Local legend has it that the tower was built on a foundation of cotton wool; in reality, bales of sheep's wool were used to absorb water that could not be bailed out from the foundations. It is believed the bales were left in the foundations during construction.
During the Second World War, there were plans to demolish the tower, as it acted as a beacon for German Luftwaffe heading towards Liverpool. Later, a plaque was placed on the bricks paying tribute to the minesweeper crews of the war.
The Dock Tower continued to provide water for hydraulic working until 1892 when the erection of the hydraulic accumulator tower on the opposite pier approximately 200 feet (61 m) to the North West of the Dock Tower took over. Present dock and lock machinery are powered by electric or electro-hydraulic energy. Water in this structure was pressurized by a 300-tonne weight. Concrete and iron being far denser than water, they can store the same energy by lifting a heavier weight through a shorter distance. This effectively brought to an end to practical use of the Dock Tower. However, for many Grimbarians, the structure will remain the true monument to the town's maritime heritage and is visible from miles around. Today, people abseil down the side of the tower to raise money for charities, although it is generally not open to the public.
There is a model of the Grimsby Dock Tower entirely constructed of Lego, at Legoland in Windsor. While the tower itself is correct, a large building has been incorrectly added to the base of the tower.
The Albert Dock is a complex of dock buildings and warehouses in Liverpool, England. Designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick, it was opened in 1846, and was the first structure in Britain to be built from cast iron, brick and stone, with no structural wood. As a result, it was the first non-combustible warehouse system in the world.
At the time of its construction the Albert Dock was considered a revolutionary docking system because ships were loaded and unloaded directly from/to the warehouses. Two years after it opened it was modified to feature the world's first hydraulic cranes. Due to its open yet secure design, the Albert Dock became a popular store for valuable cargoes such as brandy, cotton, tea, silk, tobacco, ivory and sugar. However, despite the Albert Dock's advanced design, the rapid development of shipping technology meant that within 50 years, larger, more open docks were required, although it remained a valuable store for cargo.
During the Second World War, the Albert Dock was requisitioned by the Admiralty serving as a base for boats of the British Atlantic Fleet. The complex was damaged during air raids on Liverpool, notably during the May Blitz of 1941. In the aftermath of the war, the financial problems of the owners and the general decline of docking in the city meant that the future of the Albert Dock was uncertain. Numerous plans were developed for the re-use of the buildings but none came to fruition and in 1972 the dock was finally closed. Having lain derelict for nearly ten years, the redevelopment of the dock began in 1981, when the Merseyside Development Corporation was set up, with the Albert Dock being officially re-opened in 1988.
Today the Albert Dock is a major tourist attraction in the city and the most visited multi-use attraction in the United Kingdom, outside of London. It is a vital component of Liverpool's UNESCO designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City and the docking complex and warehouses also comprise the largest single collection of Grade I listed buildings anywhere in the UK.
LIVERPOOL CITY CENTRE APRIL 2013
Title: [Docks]
Creator: Sassoon, Elias Victor (1881-1961)
Date: 1937
Part Of: Sir Ellice Victor Elias Sassoon papers and photographs
Series: China and Second Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1939, album
Place: Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Physical Description: 1 photograph album cover: part of 1 volume (24 gelatin silver prints); 29 x 38 cm
File: ag2011_0005x_2_5_3_13_opt.jpg
Rights: Please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University when using this file. A high-resolution version of this file may be obtained for a fee. For details see the sites.smu.edu/cul/degolyer/research/permissions/ web page. For other information, contact degolyer@smu.edu.
For more information and to view the image in high resolution, see: digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/eaa/id/1560
View the Europe, Asia, and Australia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints Collection
The spectacular former tobacco warehouses at the London Docks were restored as a shopping centre many years ago - and two fake sailing vessels were constructed as an extra attraction. Sadly the enterprise failed and today Tobacco Dock tries to sell itself as an event and exhibition space. The two steel built 'sailing ships' are pretty much derelict.
Cranes waiting for work, no hydraulics, proper cables and clutches. In the foreground is a stub of one of the lines into the dock, a very busy coal port in its day. For more info see
www.east-durham.co.uk/seaham/seaham_harbour_railways.htm
Nowdays, the cement traffic from Seaham leaves from close by the mian line, up the hill.