View allAll Photos Tagged containerization

Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL is providing pictures taken during various stages of dismantling and containerization of this Komatsu D65 bulldozer.

 

You can see how the container is loaded with the dismantled parts and how the equipment is loaded into the container.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information and to get a quote to containerize your heavy equipment & machinery.

Big Iron, Inc's shipping & logistics department has dismantled this Komatsu WA380 wheel loader and is packing it in a container (containerization) in Jacksonville, FL to ship overseas.

The site of the Museum of the London Docklands, formerly the No. 1 Warehouse of the West India Docks. The building opened in 1802 and the docklands area remained active as a port until the 1960’s when the docklands became too small for the increasing size of ships.

 

The West India Docks area on the Isle of Dogs, which includes the contemporary Canary Wharf development, came into existence due to increased international trade and a desire for secure dockings that could be isolated so as to reduce theft and delays associated with docks on the Thames. It’s a surprisingly large man-made port area, started in the early 1800’s.

 

The museum itself does a superb job of tracking the development of the area from the times of the slave trades, through the era of large populations of stevedores and the battles related to unionization, the dockland in WWI and WWII when they were bombed, on to the containerization that killed the historic wharves, and the finally to the regeneration that is happening now.

 

Sources:

Museum: www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london-docklands/permane...

West India Docks: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_India_Docks

Pictures of a John Deere 670A motor grader sold by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information about construction equipment from sales to dismantling and containerization.

In these pictures, you will find Big Iron's new loading dock built from precast concrete blocks. Asphalt nilling material to be spread to stabilize Big Iron's containerization yard.

 

Heavy equipment from excavators to dozers to backhoes parked at Big Iron's yard are visible in the pictures.

Princess Pier, the original pier was 580 meters long and built between 1912 and 1915 and was used from 1915 until 1969 as a port for arriving immigrants. With containerization it was no longer used and as the timber declined and with a few fires it fell into disrepair. The the first 198 meters has been restored and the old piles remain.It was originally called The New Railway Pier and was changed to Princes Pier after the visit of the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) in 1920.

Pictures of a 1993 Komatsu WA380 before dismantling and containerization.

 

Check back to see pictures of this loader being loaded into a container by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information.

Komatsu PC450-6 crawler excavator being dismantled by Big Iron, Inc. in Jacksonville, FL.

The killing of rendering harmless microorganisms in a committed environment is called Ultraviolet. It is the energy region of electromagnetic spectrum which lies between the x-ray region and visible region. The technology is being used for commercial and industrial applications. This application has been around for 50 years till now.

 

CONTACT US:

 

Level 6, Al Wahda Building,

City Center Metro Junction,

Deira, Dubai, U.A.E.

Phone +9714 2953303

e-mail: dubai@ecosmart-intl.com

 

VISIT US:

www.ecosmart-water.com

Pictures taken at Big Iron's shipping & containerization yard.

 

You can view equipment like Komatsu, Caterpillar and types of equipment like dozers and excavators in this set.

 

Dismantled heavy equipment parts are visible as well, from boom to stick, from a bucket to a fuel tank or a counter-weight.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com for more information.

Various pictures of a Sonex Aircraft as it is containerized by Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL USA.

 

This Sonex sport aircraft will be shipped overseas in this 20 foot container.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to contact us and to learn more about our containerization services.

Caterpillar CAT 936 wheel loader to be dismantled and containerized to ship overseas.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com

Various pictures of this Caterpillar (CAT) 980C wheel loader as it is being dismantled by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us www.bigiron4sale.com to learn more.

Various pictures of this Komatsu PC200LC-7 at Big Iron's Containerization yard in Jacksonville, FL.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information and to learn more about us.

Pictures of a John Deere 670A motor grader sold by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information about construction equipment from sales to dismantling and containerization.

Various equipment pictures at Big Iron's shipping & containerization yard.

 

We can dismantle heavy equipment and containerize it to ship overseas.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com to get a quote or to learn more about our services.

Various equipment pictures at Big Iron's shipping & containerization yard.

 

We can dismantle heavy equipment and containerize it to ship overseas.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com to get a quote or to learn more about our services.

Various pictures of equipment at Big Iron's shipping & containerization yard.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to learn more about us and our services.

Various equipment pictures at Big Iron's shipping yard in Jacksonville, FL.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com

Various pictures of Big Iron's containerization yard in Jacksonville, FL as well as Dynapac Rollers being dismantled and containerized.

 

You will find pictures of 40 foot HQ containers, Big Iron's loading dock, various equipment located at Big Iron's yard.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com

Various pictures of this Caterpillar (CAT) 980C wheel loader as it is being dismantled by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us www.bigiron4sale.com to learn more.

Pictures of a John Deere 670A motor grader sold by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information about construction equipment from sales to dismantling and containerization.

Various heavy equipment (mainly bought from Ritchie Brothers Auction) are parked at Big Iron's shipping & containerization yard in Jacksonville, FL.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com

Various detailed pictures of this Bomag roller are provided here.

 

This roller has been sold by Big Iron, Inc and will be containerized to ship overseas as well.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com to learn more about us, our services and how to contact us.

1999 Caterpillar (CAT) D250E Off-Highway Truck sold by Big Iron, Inc. in Jacksonville, FL.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information about Big Iron, Inc. in Jacksonville, FL.

 

We are a used heavy equipment dealer. We buy and sell used heavy equipment everyday. Our shipping & logistics department dismantles and containerizes heavy equipment everyday.

 

We provide ro-ro shipping as well. Like this Caterpilar (CAT) off-highway truck can be shipped via ro-ro from Jaxport. Contact us today for more information and a quote.

Various pictures of a Sonex Aircraft as it is containerized by Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL USA.

 

This Sonex sport aircraft will be shipped overseas in this 20 foot container.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to contact us and to learn more about our containerization services.

Various pictures of a Sonex Aircraft as it is containerized by Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL USA.

 

This Sonex sport aircraft will be shipped overseas in this 20 foot container.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to contact us and to learn more about our containerization services.

Tuesday Tech Term

 

Containerization: Isolating a separate, encrypted zone on your smartphone or tablet, where your organization's apps and data can reside. This way, policy controls apply only to what's in the container, rather than to your entire device.

Spc. Quinn E. Hilyard and Spc. Chris L. Fite, food service specialists assigned to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, prepare breakfast in a containerized kitchen, March 14, during the 2013 installation-level Philip A. Connelly field kitchen competition inspection on Fort Bragg, N.C.

Turnkey solutions: Cold room/Fully-automatic ice packaging machine/Semi-automatic ice packaging machine

 

A complete unit with all parts assembled in a steel frame except its cooling tower (water-cooling) and condenser (air-cooling). It’s suitable for container transportation, easy to ship, move and install. Right after connecting to water and electricity, the machine can be put into use.

 

Tube ice making process:

Tube ice is formed in a vertical shell-and-tube vessel by water passing down inside the tubes which is cooled by the circulation of refrigeration on the outer surface. The tube ice is about 50 mm in length and 21,28,34 mm for options in external diameter.

  

The materials for processing are stainless steel SUS304, PE, aluminum alloy and so on. We adopt large round transition design to avoid cleaning corner. Its health level has reached the international HACCP and FDA certification standards. Special alloy material combined with unique heat treatment process makes the evaporator have the best thermal conductivity property.

  

Produce each accessory with more than 80 years’ experience in researching and developing tube ice machine.

Big Iron, Inc's shipping & logistics department has dismantled this Komatsu WA380 wheel loader and is packing it in a container (containerization) in Jacksonville, FL to ship overseas.

Big Iron, Inc's shipping & logistics department has dismantled this Komatsu WA380 wheel loader and is packing it in a container (containerization) in Jacksonville, FL to ship overseas.

Pictures of a John Deere 670A motor grader sold by Big Iron, Inc.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information about construction equipment from sales to dismantling and containerization.

I travelled to the Sierra Army Depot in the high plains above Reno, Nevada to do some research on Army Combat Support Hospitals (think M*A*S*H). Here I am in front of a containerized operating room with an Army officer and a RAND research intern from the University of Wisconsin.

Komatsu D31P-20 bulldozer from Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information and for used heavy equipment sales and containerization.

 

Big Iron's shipping & logistics department dismantles and containerizes heavy equipment to ship overseas.

Various pictures of a Sonex Aircraft as it is containerized by Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL USA.

 

This Sonex sport aircraft will be shipped overseas in this 20 foot container.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to contact us and to learn more about our containerization services.

Various pictures of a Sonex Aircraft as it is containerized by Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL USA.

 

This Sonex sport aircraft will be shipped overseas in this 20 foot container.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to contact us and to learn more about our containerization services.

Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States

 

No. 354 West 11th Street is a relatively rare surviving residential building of the early period of the mixed-use development that came to characterize the far western section of Greenwich Village, which was built up with residences for the middle and professional classes, industry, and transportation-and maritime-related commerce. It is also one of the best extant examples of the Greek Revival style rowhouses of the 1830s-40s located in the Hudson River waterfront section of Manhattan, specifically the area west of the Greenwich Village Historic District between West 14th Street and Lower Manhattan. The Greek Revival style characteristics of the house are its 3â story height; machine-pressed red brickwork laid in stretcher bond; stoop and areaway with wrought-ironwork; entrance with pilasters, entablature, sidelights, and transom; molded brownstone lintels; and flat roofline.

 

The building was constructed c.1841-42, apparently for William B. Fash, a carver and ìcomposition ornamentî manufacturer, and his wife, Frances, who were foreclosed in 1843. It was next owned, until 1852, by attorney Edwin L.B. Brooks and his wife, Catherine. They never resided here, but leased it to merchant-class tenants, as did subsequent owners. The first long-term owners of the property, from 1866 to 1923, were the family of Friedrich C. Knubel, a German-born grocer. The Knubels lived in No. 354 in 1870-75, and in 1871 extended the house in the rear; it is likely the pressed metal cornice on the front facade dates from this period. A son, Frederick Hermann Knubel, born the year they moved into the house, went on to study for the ministry and became the first president of the United Lutheran Church in America . In the 20th and 21st centuries, the building has housed single-family and multiple residents.

 

DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS

  

The Development of the Far West Village

 

In the early 17th century, the area now known as the Far West Village was a Lenape encampment for fishing and planting known as Sapokanican, identified through archeology and historical documents at the foot of Gansevoort Street. During Dutch rule, the second director general of New Amsterdam, Wouter van Twiller, ìclaimedî a huge area of land in and around today=s Greenwich Village for his personal plantation, Bossen Bouwerie, where he cultivated tobacco. Starting in the 1640s, freed African slaves were granted and farmed parcels of land near current-day Washington Square, Minetta Lane, and Thompson Street, establishing the nucleus of a community of African-Americans that remained in this location until the Civil War.

 

Under British rule during the 18th century, the area of Greenwich Village was the location of the small rural hamlet of Greenwich, as well as the country seats and summer homes of wealthy downtown aristocrats, merchants, and capitalists. The vicinity of the Far West Village was amassed during the 1740s by Sir Peter Warren as part of a vast tract of land along the North River. An admiral in the British Navy, Warren earned a fortune in war prize money and had extensive land holdings throughout the New York region. As historian Jill Lepore suggests based on a review of documents at The New-York Historical Society, ìWarren appears to have owned a sizable number of slaves.î2 WarrenÃ-s three daughters, who resided in England, inherited the property after his death in 1752 and slowly sold off portions. In 1788, Richard Amos, one of WarrenÃ-s trustees, acquired the portion of the estate north of todayÃ-s Christopher Street, between Hudson and Washington Streets.

The land west of this tract was acquired by 1794 by Abijah Hammond, another Warren trustees and also owner of holdings to the southeast. According to the New York Census , Hammond owned several slaves, while Amos had none.

 

New York State=s first prison, the 4-acre ìState Prison at Greenwich,î or Newgate State Prison, was constructed in 1796-97, with grounds extending between today=s Christopher, Perry, and Washington Streets and the North River shoreline. The land was transferred from Hammond. Newgate=s massive buildings, surrounded by high stone walls, were designed by Joseph-Francois Mangin, later the architect of City Hall and St. Patrick=s Cathedral on Mott Street.3 Prisoners were transferred here from the old Bridewell jail in City Hall Park. ìA more pleasant, airy, and salubrious spot could not have been selected in the vicinity of New York,î4 stated an observer in 1801, and the prison, as one of the areaÃ-s most imposing structures, became one of GreenwichÃ-s first tourist attractions. Ferry service was established from the prison=s dock to Hoboken in 1799.

 

The Greenwich Hotel, opened in 1809 near the prison, became a popular summer hostelry and daily stage service was begun from the hotel to lower Manhattan in 1811. A number of cholera and yellow fever epidemics in lower Manhattan between 1799 and 1822 led to an influx of settlers in the Greenwich area, with the population quadrupling between 1825 and 1840. Previously undeveloped tracts of land were speculatively subdivided for the construction of town houses and rowhouses. By the 1820s and 30s, as commercial development and congestion increasingly disrupted and displaced New Yorkers living near City Hall Park, the elite moved northward into Greenwich Village, particularly the area east of Sixth Avenue. Throughout the 19th century, Greenwich Village developed as a primarily residential precinct, with the usual accompanying institutions and commercial activities.

 

The far western section of Greenwich Village developed with mixed uses, including residences for the middle and professional classes, industry, and transportation- and maritime-related commerce.

 

Street improvements were made in the vicinity. Amos , Perry, and Charles Streets were surveyed in 1796 and, extending westerly only to the prison grounds, deeded to the City in 1809 by Richard Amos. Christopher Street had been the northern boundary of the Trinity Church Farm, granted to the church by the Crown of England in 1708; it was laid out prior to 1799, opened as a street in 1817, and paved in 1825. Hammond Street was laid out by 1799 leading to a wharf on the river. Amos subdivided his land into lots by 1817, as did Hammond in 1827. South of the prison, landfill extended the shoreline westward, and West Street was laid out by 1824. In 1828, a pier was opened at the end of Christopher Street that became a transfer depot for lumber and building materials. In 1826, the City of New York acquired from the State the Newgate prison, and prisoners were moved to Sing Sing Prison in 1828-29.

 

The City plotted and sold the prison land in 1829, reserving the blockfront along West Street between Christopher and Amos Streets for a public market. Jacob Lorillard purchased the prison buildings, which he converted into a sanitorium spa in 1831. Around the same time, the former farms located along Christopher Street were plotted and readied for development.

 

A public Greenwich Market had existed since 1813 on the south side of Christopher Street between Greenwich and Washington Streets, on land formerly owned by Trinity Church. The market house was enlarged in 1819 and 1828, and the streetbed of Christopher Street was widened west of Greenwich Street to accommodate the market business and wagon traffic. Market business here was negatively affected by the 1833 opening of the Jefferson Market at Greenwich Lane and Sixth Avenue, and the Greenwich Market was closed in 1835. The new market, also officially called the Greenwich Market but known as the ìWeehawken Marketî to differentiate it from the old market one block away on Christopher Street, was constructed in 1834, but only operated until 1844.

 

Examples of the earliest surviving residential buildings located in the far western section of Greenwich Village, all rowhouses, include: the rare, vernacular wood-framed No. 132 Charles Street , attributed to carpenter Matthew Armstrong, a co-owner/occupant who was active in neighborhood development, and extended one story c. 1853, attributed to carpenters/owner-occupants John and Levi Springsteen; Nos. 651, 653 and 655 Washington Street , 3-1/2-story, brick-clad Federal style houses owned by merchant Samuel Norsworthy; No. 398 West Street , a 3-1/2-story, brick-clad Federal style house built for flour merchant Isaac Amerman; No. 7 Weehawken Street , a 3-story, brick-clad rowhouse/stable owned by carpenter Jacob P. Roome; No. 131 Charles Street , an intact, relatively rare and late example of a 2-1/2-story, brick-clad Federal style house, owned by stone cutter David Christie and a designated New York City Landmark since 1966; No. 269 West 10th Street , a Greek Revival style house for widow Hannah Jenkins; and No. 159 Charles Street , a brick-clad Greek Revival style house built for merchant Henry J. Wyckoff and today a designated New York City Landmark.

 

Three activities helped to spur commercial activity in the vicinity. Ferry service to Hoboken was reâ instituted by 1841 at the foot of Christopher Street . Around 1845, part of the Newgate prison site was adapted for use as a brewery by Nash, Beadleston & Co. . In 1846, the Hudson River Railroad was incorporated, and was constructed along West Street, terminating in a station at Chambers Street in 1851 .

 

Construction and 19th-Century Ownership and Residency of No. 354 West 11th Street

 

This block, formerly part of the Greenwich Village land holdings of Abijah Hammond , was extended by landfill and later plotted and sold by Hammond in 1827. This lot was acquired by cartman/milkman Jonathan Lounsberry and his wife, Charlotte, who built a house here c. 1828. The address was originally No. 144 Hammond Street .7 The house was sold in 1830 to Charles Gilmore, a New Jersey resident, and his wife, Elizabeth, and in 1832 to James Agnew, a lawyer who lived here. In 1838, however, a fire in the Baurmeister & Scheplin soap factory located in the rear of No. 160 Hammond Street destroyed much of the block, including some 50 buildings.8 The 1841 tax assessments listed AgnewÃ-s lot at $1600.

 

That year, Agnew was foreclosed, and the property was briefly owned by John Westervelt, Jr., a coal merchant. It was purchased in October 1841 for $2250 by William B. Fash, a carver and ìcomposition ornamentî manufacturer , and his wife, Frances. The 1842 tax assessments listed FashÃ-s ìhouse and lotî at $2500, with the annotation ìunfinished.î . In April 1843, a foreclosure action against Fash was concluded by George O. Post and Edward Mitchell, guardians of George Edward Post, and the Greek Revival style rowhouse was placed at auction. The highest bidder was attorney Edwin L.B. Brooks and his wife, Catherine M., then residents of No. 47 Bank Street. The 1844 assessment of this property was $4000.

 

The Brookses never resided at No. 144 Hammond Street, but leased it. The earliest known tenants were Eliza Scott , the widow of Charles T. Scott, a drygoods merchant living at No. 7 Hammond Street in 1848â 49; drygoods merchant Willet Hawkins and his wife, Sarah ; and typemaker C. Joepfer . After BrooksÃ- death, the house was sold in 1852 to undertaker Peter Relyea and his wife, Margaretta . In 1854, Relyea advertised: ìROOMS TO LET: On the first floor of house No. 144 Hammond-st... N.Y.. consisting of two parlors, two bed-rooms, and cook kitchen in the rear. Inquire of PETER RELYEA on the premises.î9 The house was acquired that year by Joshua and Mary Stafford Read.

 

Read , a prosperous farmer/businessman and a resident of Palatine Bridge, N.Y., was the uncle of Susan Brownell Anthony , the future womenÃ-s rights advocate ñ the brother of her mother, Lucy Read Anthony, he had significantly assisted the Anthony family when it was ruined financially in the Panic of 1837. In 1859, Read transferred this property to his daughter, Eleanor J. Read Caldwell, wife of merchant George Caldwell , who retained it until 1866.

 

The Read/Caldwell family never lived here, but rented the house in 1856-62 to clerk David S. Lockwood , who had married Eleanor C. Griswold in 1856.

 

In 1866, the house was purchased by Friedrich C. Knubel , a German-born grocer who had immigrated in 1855, and his wife, Katherine Knubel Knubel. The Knubels were the first long-term owners of the property. Formerly residents of Nos. 163 and 145 Hammond Street , the Knubels lived in No. 354 in 1870-75 and in 1871 extended the house about 11 feet in the rear. It is likely the pressed metal, denticulated, modillioned, and bracketed cornice on the front facade dates from their ownership. Their son, Frederick Hermann Knubel , born the year they moved into the house, went on to study for the ministry and became the first president of the United Lutheran Church in America . After the senior Frederick KnubelÃ-s death in 1908, the property was transferred in 1909 to his daughter, Henrietta M. Knubel Wilshusen , the wife of John Wilshusen , who retained it until 1923.

 

Greek Revival Style Rowhouses in Manhattan

 

As the city of New York grew in the period after the Revolution, large plots of land in Manhattan were sold and subdivided for the construction of groups of brick-clad houses. Their architectural style has been called ìFederalî after the new republic, but in form and detail they continued the Georgian style of Great Britain. Federal style houses were constructed from the Battery as far north as 23rd Street between the 1790s and 1830s. The size of the lot dictated the size of the house: typically each house lot was 20 or 25 feet wide by 90 to 100 feet deep, which accorded with the rectilinear plan of New York City, adopted as the CommissionersÃ- Plan in 1811. The rowhouse itself would be as wide as the lot, and 35 to 40 feet deep. This allowed for a stoop and small front yard, or areaway, and a fairly spacious rear yard. During the early 19th century, several houses were often constructed together, sharing common party walls, chimneys, and roof timbering to form a continuous group.

 

The houses, of load-bearing masonry or modified timber-frame construction, had brick-clad front facades. With the increasing availability of pattern books, such as Asher BenjaminÃ-s American Builders Companion , local builders had access to drawings and instructions for exterior and interior plans and details. Federal style rowhouses usually had a 3-bay facade with two full stories over a high basement and an additional half story under a peaked roof with the ridge line running parallel to the front facade. The front facade was usually clad in red brick laid in the Flemish bond pattern, with stone trim, commonly brownstone. The planar quality of the facades was relieved by ornament in the form of lintels, entrances, stoops and areaways with iron railings, cornices, and dormers. The most ornamental feature was the doorway, often framed with columns and sidelights and topped with a rectangular transom or fanlight, and having a wooden paneled door.

 

The wood-framed sash were double hung and multi-light . A wooden cornice with a molded fascia extended across the front along the eave. Pedimented or segmental dormers on the front roof slope usually had decorative wood trim.

 

Around 1830, builders in New York City began to incorporate some Greek Revival style features on grander Federal style houses, such as the Seabury Tredwell House , 29 East 4th Street. During the early 1830s, fashionable rowhouses were constructed in a Greek Revival style that was distinct from the earlier Federal style houses. Local builders were influenced by the designs and builderÃ-s guides of architects such as Asher Benjamin, Minard Lafever, and Alexander Jackson Davis. Some examples were ìhigh style,î such as the nine marble-fronted houses with a continuous Corinthian colonnade known as LaGrange Terrace or Colonnade Row , of which Nos. 428-434 Lafayette Street survive. Many rows of speculatively-built Greek Revival style houses were constructed, particularly in the Greenwich Village and Chelsea neighborhoods, during the period of enormous growth and development in New York City during the 1830s-40s.

 

Greek Revival style rowhouses, which became widely popular, basically continued many of the traditions of Federal style houses, including 3-bay front facades, brick cladding with brownstone trim, and raised stoops and areaways with iron railings. They differed, however, in stylistic details and in scale, being taller and somewhat grander at a full three stories above a basement . By this period, technological advances in brickmaking allowed for higher quality, machine-pressed brick. The brick was laid in a bond other than Flemish, such as stretcher bond. Ornamentation was spare, including simple, molded rectangular lintels and a flat roofline capped by a denticulated and molded wooden cornice . Like on Federal style houses, the most ornamental feature was the doorway.

 

The Greek Revival style doorway was recessed, with a rectangular transom, sidelights, and paneled door. On grander houses, the entrance featured a portico with Doric or Ionic columns flanking the doorway and supporting a prominent entablature. Examples of this type include ìThe Rowî , 1-13 Washington Square North, and the Samuel Tredwell Skidmore House , 37 East 4th Street. More commonly, the entrance featured a brownstone surround with wide pilasters supporting an entablature. No. 354 West 11th Street is of this latter type. The wood-framed sash were double hung and typically six-over-six .

 

Late-19th and 20th Century History of the Far West Village

 

New York City had developed as the largest port in the United States by the early 19th century, and in the early 20th century emerged as one of the busiest ports in the world. In Manhattan, South Street along the East River had been the primary artery for maritime commerce, but West Street became a competitor in the 1870s and supplanted the former by about 1890. After the Civil War, New York also flourished as the commercial and financial center of the country. The continued mixed-use character of the Far West Village is evidenced by industries located on the southern side of the block behind No. 354 West 11th Street ñ an 1879 map shows an iron foundry here, while an 1885 map indicates a coalyard. To the west, there was a boat basin on the Hudson River.12

 

At the turn of the century, the New York Times and New York Police Department considered the section of the Hudson River waterfront along the piers between Houston and West 14th Streets particularly unsavory. A 1902 newspaper article stated that ìfor years, especially in fine weather, it has at night been the resort of outcasts, drunkards, dissolute people, and a dangerous class of depredators and petty highwaymen...î 13 A major public undertaking that had a profound impact on this section of the waterfront was the construction, by the New York City Department of Docks, of the Gansevoort Piers and Chelsea Piers , between West 11th and West 23rd Streets. These long docks accommodated the enormous trans-Atlantic steamships of the ìUnited States, Grace, Cunard White Star, Panama Pacific, and American Merchantî lines.

 

This area was described in 1914 as ìin the heart of the busiest section of the port, adjacent to the transatlantic liners, coast and gulf vessels, between Christopher and 23rd Streets, surrounded by 5,000 seamen of all nationalitiesî of the half a million seamen that came into the harbor each year.

 

After a period of decline, Greenwich Village was becoming known, prior to World War I, for its historic and picturesque qualities, its affordable housing, and the diversity of its population and social and political ideas. Many artists and writers, as well as tourists, were attracted to the Village. At the same time, as observed by museum curator Jan S. Ramirez,

 

As early as 1914 a committee of Village property owners, merchants, social workers, and realtors had embarked on a campaign to combat the scruffy image the local bohemian populace had created for the community. ... Under the banner of the Greenwich Village Improvement Society and the Greenwich Village Rebuilding Corporation, this alliance of residents and businesses also rallied to arrest the district=s physical deterioration... their ultimate purpose was to reinstate higher-income-level families and young professionals in the Village to stimulate its economy. Shrewd realtors began to amass their holdings of dilapidated housing. 16

 

These various factors and the increased desirability of the Village led to a real estate boom ñ ìrents increased during the 1920s by 140 percent and in some cases by as much as 300 percentî.17 The desirability of the far western section of Greenwich Village as a residential community by the late 1920s is exemplified by the conversion of multiple dwellings and other building types into middleclass apartments.

 

The completion of the Holland Tunnel and, especially, the elevated Miller Highway above West Street, while providing easier access between the Hudson River waterfront and the metropolitan region, had a number of effects on real estate values and on the uses of buildings, particularly along West Street. The Federal WritersÃ- ProjectÃ-s New York City Guide described this stretch of the waterfront along West Street, the ìmost lucrative water-front property in the world,î as follows:

 

Although the western rim of Manhattan is but a small section of New Yorks far-flung port, along it is concentrated the largest aggregate of marine enterprises in the world. Glaciers of freight and cargo move across this strip of ... water front. It is the domain of the super-liner, but it is shared by the freighter, the river boat, the ferry, and the soot-faced tug... Ships and shipping are not visible along much of West Street. South of Twenty-third Street, the river is walled by an almost unbroken line of bulkhead sheds and dock structures... Opposite the piers, along the entire length of the highway, nearly every block houses its quota of cheap lunchrooms, tawdry saloons and waterfront haberdasheries catering to the thousands of polyglot seamen who haunt the ìfront.î Men ìon the beachî usually make their headquarters in barrooms, which are frequented mainly by employees of lines leasing piers in their vicinity.

 

In 1961, Mayor Robert Wagner announced an urban renewal plan for the far western section of Greenwich Village that would have included the 12 blocks bounded by West, Christopher, Hudson, and West 11th Streets, and another 2 blocks along West Street south of Christopher Street. As reported in the Times in March 1961, residents of the site immediately rallied in vigorous protest. Their spokesman [sic] was Mrs. Jane Jacobs, an editor of Architectural Forum magazine, who lives with her family in a house they own at 555 Hudson Street. The entire site, the group said, contains only a negligible amount of blight. It would be unconscionable, they argued, to demolish any of their well-maintained homes to make way for a bleak, architecturally sterile, institutional housing development.

 

The Housing and Redevelopment Board responded that its intention was actually to ìremove the industrial buildings, warehouses and trucking depots that threaten the neighborhood.î19 That same year, Jane Jacobs authored the influential The Death and Life of Great American Cities. The urban renewal plan for this area was never to proceed as initially envisioned by the City. Jacobs, on behalf of the West Village Committee, wrote to the newly formed New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1963 , urging that any consideration of a Greenwich Village historic district include the far western section of the Village to West Street.

 

After 1960, with the introduction of containerized shipping and the accompanying need for large facilities , the Manhattan waterfront rapidly declined as the center of New YorkÃ-s maritime commerce. In addition, airplanes replaced ocean liners carrying passengers overseas. Most of the piers and many of the buildings associated with ManhattanÃ-s Hudson River maritime history have been demolished.

 

In 1974, the Miller Elevated Highway was closed, and it was subsequently demolished in the 1980s. The buildings along West Street, formerly in the permanent shadow of the highway, were exposed again. A New York Times writer in 1986 still disparaged the character of West Street as ìa gritty mixture of auto garages, shuttered sex clubs, truckersÃ- coffee shops and a flurry of construction.î21 Buildings along West Street had begun to be redeveloped and demolished ñ as early as 1968-69, the Bell Telephone Laboratories, at West and Bank-Bethune Streets, had been converted into Westbeth, a residential complex for artists. Farther north, the Manhattan Refrigerating Co. complex, West Street and Horatio-Gansevoort Streets, was renovated and converted as the West Coast Apartments and opened in the 1980s .

 

By 1999, the Times observed the Far West VillageÃ-s ìdevelopersÃ- gold rushî to convert structures and construct new high rises along the West Street corridor.22 The relatively rare surviving individual rowhouses in the area, such as No. 354 West 11th Street, were also restored for use as single-family homes.

 

Later History of No. 354 West 11th Street

 

In 1923, Henrietta M. Knubel Wilshusen sold No. 354 West 11th Street to fireman Anthony Udovicich, and his wife, nee Elena Possidel; they were listed in 1930s city directories living at No. 354. The next owners were Josefa Muino , who resided here for a time, and John and Sidney Wasserman . Beginning in the late 1950s, directories listed multiple occupants of the house. In 1963-65, the owner/occupant was John F. Mehegan , a noted jazz pianist, recording artist, teacher , and author of numerous books, including the widely used 4-volume work Jazz Improvisation. Mehegan had been the composer of the musical score for Tennessee WilliamsÃ- Broadway play ìA Streetcar Named Desireî , which he played offstage during its initial run. No. 354 was briefly owned by Sophie G. Griscom, a Maine resident.

 

The building was transferred in 1967 to the 354 West Eleventh Street Corp. ; Fiske resided here c. 1975-86. In 1988, it was sold to Neil and Susan Selkirk. A London-born photographer, Neil Selkirk has specialized in portraits and advertising and corporate work, which has been widely published in magazines, and has been an instructor at Parsons School of Design. He has been the sole person authorized to print the work of photographer Diane Arbus since her death in 1971.

 

Today, No. 354 West 11th Street is a relatively rare surviving residential building of the early period of development of the far western section of Greenwich Village, and is one of the best extant examples of the Greek Revival style rowhouses of the 1830s-40s located in the Hudson River waterfront section of Manhattan, specifically the area west of the Greenwich Village Historic District between West 14th Street and Lower Manhattan.

 

Description

 

This 3-story Greek Revival style rowhouse is clad in machine-pressed red brick laid in stretcher bond above a rusticated brownstone base. The areaway, bordered by stone with historic wrought-iron railings and gate, has steps and concrete and bluestone paving. The basement level has two windows with non-historic iron grilles, and an entrance under the stoop with a non-historic iron gate and a wood-and-glass entrance door. The high stone stoop has historic wrought-iron railings with curved newel-posts. The main entrance has a brownstone surround with pilasters supporting a denticulated entablature, and a recessed doorway with pilasters, sidelights, a triple-light transom, and a paneled wooden door. Sconces are placed on the reveals.

 

Windows have molded brownstone lintels and plain sills, recede in size from the first- to third-story levels, and have six-over-six double-hung wood sash . Planters are set on metal brackets below the first-story windows. One through-the-wall air conditioner is located below the center window of the second story. The facade is terminated by a c. 1870s pressed metal, denticulated and modillioned cornice .

 

- From the 2007 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report

Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL is providing pictures taken during various stages of dismantling and containerization of this Komatsu D65 bulldozer.

 

You can see how the container is loaded with the dismantled parts and how the equipment is loaded into the container.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information and to get a quote to containerize your heavy equipment & machinery.

Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL is providing pictures taken during various stages of dismantling and containerization of this Komatsu D65 bulldozer.

 

You can see how the container is loaded with the dismantled parts and how the equipment is loaded into the container.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com for more information and to get a quote to containerize your heavy equipment & machinery.

Big Iron, Inc's shipping & logistics department has dismantled this Komatsu WA380 wheel loader and is packing it in a container (containerization) in Jacksonville, FL to ship overseas.

Big Iron, Inc's shipping & logistics department has dismantled this Komatsu WA380 wheel loader and is packing it in a container (containerization) in Jacksonville, FL to ship overseas.

View On Black

 

Sydney Harbour Bridge and Pier 9 at Walsh Bay ... originally the wharves were where ships from all over the world came and went before the advent of containerized shipping. Now they are smart restaurants, bars and city apartments.

  

Ready to dig Chinese Fan. palmsofparadise.com check them out

Various pictures of a Sonex Aircraft as it is containerized by Big Iron, Inc in Jacksonville, FL USA.

 

This Sonex sport aircraft will be shipped overseas in this 20 foot container.

 

www.bigiron4sale.com to contact us and to learn more about our containerization services.

Turnkey solutions: Cold room/Fully-automatic ice packaging machine/Semi-automatic ice packaging machine

 

A complete unit with all parts assembled in a steel frame except its cooling tower (water-cooling) and condenser (air-cooling). It’s suitable for container transportation, easy to ship, move and install. Right after connecting to water and electricity, the machine can be put into use.

 

Tube ice making process:

Tube ice is formed in a vertical shell-and-tube vessel by water passing down inside the tubes which is cooled by the circulation of refrigeration on the outer surface. The tube ice is about 50 mm in length and 21,28,34 mm for options in external diameter.

  

The materials for processing are stainless steel SUS304, PE, aluminum alloy and so on. We adopt large round transition design to avoid cleaning corner. Its health level has reached the international HACCP and FDA certification standards. Special alloy material combined with unique heat treatment process makes the evaporator have the best thermal conductivity property.

  

Produce each accessory with more than 80 years’ experience in researching and developing tube ice machine.

Various pictures of Big Iron's containerization yard in Jacksonville, FL as well as Dynapac Rollers being dismantled and containerized.

 

You will find pictures of 40 foot HQ containers, Big Iron's loading dock, various equipment located at Big Iron's yard.

 

Visit us at www.bigiron4sale.com

1 2 ••• 60 61 63 65 66 ••• 79 80