View allAll Photos Tagged bath
Forum Theatre, Bath. Opened in 1934 and designed by W H Watkins, with A S Gray. The Forum followed the usual path of conversion to bingo in the 1960's, which failed fairly quickly, before becoming a church. A major, and spectacularly successful restoration was undertaken and the Forum is one of the most complete 1930's former cinemas in the UK. There is a very extensive use of the theatre for live shows and concerts in addition to the religious services held by the Bath City Church.
Bath, Somerset & Avon, England, Forum Cinema / Bath City Church
August 2016
This is the Roman bath house caught in the reflection of the bath waters. I've flipped the picture to save you having to crank your neck!
On Sunday, Den and I walked from Mark's to Bradford upon Avon along the canal, meeting the others at The Cross Guns pub at Avoncliff for Sunday lunch. Was a beautiful day.
Bath Street connects the Kings Bath, at the east end of the Street, and the Cross Baths at the far end. It was designed by Thomas Baldwin, and started in 1791. It has colonnades with twenty-one bays of columns on both sides. These gave shelter for sedan chairs carrying sick occupants between the King’s Bath the Cross Baths.
One of the more beautiful structures from ancient Ethiopia is Fasilides Bath. King Fasilides commissioned the construction of what is know as Fasilides' Swimming pool, or Fasilides' Bath, beyond the the heart of the city north-west of the Qaha River. There is a two-storeyed battlemented palace standing in a square pool which receives it water from a canal filled by the river, but which is empty most of the time for sanitary reasons. Fasilides built the bath in the mid-1600s. Fasilides was emperor of Ethiopia from 1632 to 18 October 1667. Gondar, Ethiopia.
Linley House, 1 Pierrepont Place
The building was named after the musician and manager of London’s Drury Lane Theatre (from 1774) Thomas Linley (Born 17 January 1733 – Died 19 November 1795) who lived there for a time with his family.
Pierrepont Place was developed around 1744 by John Wood the Elder and James Leake on what was the former Abbey Orchard. I am unsure when the Linley family first took possession of it or how many of their musically talented children may have stayed there. Thomas Linley and his wife Mary had twelve children, seven of which followed in their father’s footsteps and developed theatrical or musical careers.
Elizabeth Ann Linley (Born 7 September 1754 – Died 28 June 1792) was a singer and the eldest daughter of Thomas Linley. She eloped to France with the playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan (Born 30 October 1751 – Died 7 July 1816) on 18 March 1772.
Thomas Linley the younger (Born 1756 – Died 1778), also known as the ‘English Mozart’ for his compositions was the eldest son.
Mary Linley (Born 1758 – Died 1787) was a singer and married the playwright and satirist Richard Tickell (Born 1751– Died 1793) in 1780
Samuel Linley (Born 1760 – Died December 1778) was the second son. He was an oboe player and midshipman aboard HMS Thunderer.
Maria Linley (Born 1763 – Died 1784) was a singer who performed at Drury Lane.
Ozias Thurston Linley (Born 1765 – Died 1831), an organist and an eccentric. He was a graduate of Corpus Christi College, Oxford and a minor canon of Norwich Cathedral.
William Linley (Born 1771 – Died 1835) retired from the British East India Company in 1810 and dedicated himself to writing, singing and composing.
The author Andrew Green wrote the following account of haunting like experiences reported at the Festival Office at 1 Pierrepont Place, Bath. "Some members of the staff have been puzzled to hear during the afternoons, the sound of footsteps going upstairs to what they are assured, is an empty room. The unseen visitor never returns but visitors calling to discuss the programme of the Festival have also commented on the noise. In 1962 a former occupant of a flat in the house admitted that she, too, had often heard the arrival of the invisible caller as had a friend of hers. The footsteps always stop outside the door of the flat but on the frequent occasions when the door was opened there was never anyone there."
Bath time.
A Female Blackbird and a Starling having a bath together.Until the starling did not want too share.
Fotos de Ana Mari Lopez Tamayo para Catedrales e Iglesias
Parish Church in Bath, Somerset,of England,Iglesia Parroquial en Bath, Somerset, Inglaterra
It is located between Broad and Walcot Streets, which both merge onto Northgate Street. Located next to the Post Office Building, the south tower (referred to as the W tower) fronts Northgate street and dominates Bath's skyline. The current structure was designed by George Phillips Manners. It possesses a fine example of a Sweetland Organ.
The Church of St Michael's is known as St Michael's Without - it being the first church to be found outside the original city walls when exiting from the North Gate. The parish itself was known as St Michael's with St Paul's.
In 2013, with the closure of Holy Trinity Church Queen's Square, the parish boundary grew as the two parishes were merged under St Michael's. At this time, the parish reverted to its original name of St Michael's Without.
From Mondays to Saturdays, the church plays host to a cafe serving hot drinks, cakes and snacks
Se encuentra entre las calles Ancha y la nuez, que ambos se funden en Northgate Street. Situado al lado del edificio de Correos, la torre sur (conocido como la torre W) frentes calle Northgate y domina el horizonte de Bath. La estructura actual fue diseñado por George Phillips modales. Posee un buen ejemplo de un Sweetland Organ.
La Iglesia de San Miguel es conocido como San Miguel de Sin - siendo la primera iglesia que se encuentra fuera de las murallas originales de la ciudad al salir por la Puerta Norte. La parroquia en sà era conocido como San Miguel con San Pablo.
En 2013, con el cierre de la Plaza de la SantÃsima Trinidad Iglesia Reina, el lÃmite de la parroquia creció a medida que las dos parroquias se fusionaron bajo San Miguel. En este momento, la parroquia volvió a su nombre original de San Miguel de Sin.
De lunes a sábado, la iglesia alberga una cafeterÃa que sirve bebidas calientes, pasteles y bocadillos
Arthur Beach Hatt and Edward Beach Hatt were the sons of Sir Harry Hatt, the Mayor of Bath at the time of their deaths.
Information from the CWGC database:
Captain Arthur Beach Hatt, MC
Died 01/07/1916
Aged 27
"A" Coy., 8th Bn., Somerset Light Infantry
MC, Twice Mentioned in Despatches
Son of Sir Harry Hatt and Lady Hatt, of Sunnycroft, Bloomfield Park, Bath.
Gordon Dump Cemetery, Ovillers-la-Boisselle, Somme, France (II. M. 4.)
Concentrated from 57d.X.26.d.5.5.
Captain Edward Beach Hatt
Died 26/08/1916
Aged 23
"C" Coy., 7th Bn., Somerset Light Infantry
Son of Sir Harry and Lady Hatt, of "Sunny Croft," Bloomfield Park, Bath.
Bernafay Wood British Cemetery, Montauban, Somme (N. 33.)
Concentrated from 57c.S.20.c.
In Bath, their names also feature on a memorial in Bath Guildhall and on the war memorial in St Luke's Church, Lyncombe.
The other two casualties with the Hatt surname are probably:
Corporal Leonard Thomas Hatt
Service Number 506102
Died 14/06/1917
504th Field Coy., Royal Engineers
Arras Memorial, Pas-de-Calais, France (Bay 1.)
Sapper James Harry Hatt
Service Number 482265
Died 21/02/1919
Aged 22
24th Base Park Coy., Royal Engineers
Son of James and Sarah Hatt, of 67, Barnardiston Rd., Darnall, Sheffield.
Blargies Communal Cemetery Extension, Oise, France (I. G. 3.)
Leonard Thomas Hatt was born at High Wycombe in 1895, being the son of Thomas and Florence Hatt. The 1901 and 1911 Censuses respectively record him living with his family at Hughenden and High Wycombe. He enlisted in the Wessex Divisional RE at Bath in August 1914, when he was described as working as a shop assistant (his address as given as Abbeygate Street, Bath). His service records show that he was wounded (GSW chest) in April 1915, returning to the front with the 504th (Wessex) Field Coy in March 1917. Declared missing on the 14th-15th June 1917, he was later assumed to have died.
James Harry Hatt was born at Sheffield in 1896, being the son of James and Sarah Hatt. At the time of the 1911 Census, he was 14 years old and working as a haberdashery assistant. His death was announced in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of the 27th February 1919, p. 4:
"HATT. – On 21st February, at Abancourt, France, 482265 Sapper James Harry, R.E. Signals over four years, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Hatt, Milton Villa, Barnardiston Road, Darnall. Bronchial pneumonia."
Sapper Hatt's exact connection with Bath is unknown, although his name seems to also appear on a memorial in Magdalen Chapel, Holloway.
160321-N-EW716-001
BATH, Maine (March 21, 2016) The future guided-missile destroyer USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) departs the Bath Iron Works shipyard for its second at-sea period to conduct builder's trials during which many of the ship's key systems and technologies will be demonstrated. In addition to systems testing, the Navy-Industry team will be conducting numerous operational demonstrations in preparation for acceptance trials in April. DDG 1000 is the lead ship of the Zumwalt-class destroyers, a class of next-generation multi-mission surface combatants tailored for land attack and littoral dominance with capabilities that defeat current and projected threats. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)