View allAll Photos Tagged Manessier,

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 18, 2023 : architectural details and decors of interiors of Saint Sepulcre church

Saint-Sépulcre church was badly damaged in 1940 when Abbeville was bombed by the Luftwaffe. It was gradually restored and the stained glass windows were replaced between 1989 and 1993. They were designed by Alfred Manessier (1911-1993), a painter who had spent his childhood in Abbeville.

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 18, 2023 : architectural details and decors of interiors of Saint Sepulcre church

CHAPELLE

 

The Sainte-Marine chapel was built in the 16th century, it is the first construction of the port with that of the boat master's house which dates from the same period. In the 1960s, having become too small for religious services, it was enlarged using stones from a church in Trégunc. The “Pardon” is celebrated every 2nd Sunday in July: the faithful then go in procession to the slipway in order to bless the sea. A wreath of flowers is thrown onto the waves in memory of the sailors perished at sea.

 

In the oldest part

 

Several decorative elements such as the sailors votive offerings, the sandstone sculptures of boats or the south door framed with fish testify to its familiar link with the world of the sea. Its wooden statuary is also remarkable, we can discover a breastfeeding Virgin, multi-coloured statues from the 16th century of Saint Barbara and Saint Peter, that of Saint Marine from the 18th century as well as three other statues in raw wood dating from the 20th century.

 

Contemporary stained glass windows

 

The contemporary stained glass windows installed in the 1960s helped create unity between the two parts, old and new. They are designed by André Bouler, a Jesuit, trained in the workshop of Fernand Léger where he met the artists Manessier and Bazaine, also makers of stained glass windows in the chapels of Brittany.

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

“David” by Alfred Manessier at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 18, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

“David” by Alfred Manessier at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

“David” by Alfred Manessier at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

Le Pouldu, Chapelle ND de la Paix, 15ème

 

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

The Church of Our Lady (German: Kirche Unser Lieben Frauen) is an Evangelical Protestant church situated northwest of the Market Square in Bremen, Germany. Like Bremen Cathedral, today's building dates from the 13th century. The brightly coloured stained-glass windows are the work of the French artist Alfred Manessier. In 1973, the church was listed under the monument protection act.

 

Footplan of the southern tower and the Early Gothic parts (orange) and the ossuary (blue). Green marks stone on walls inside the nave.

Already bishop Willerich, in late 9th century, had built a third church beside the cathedral and the tomb chapel for his predecessor Willehad. But the first church definitely on the actual ground was built by archbishop Unwan (ruling 1013 to 1029) and dedicated to Saint Vitus. It served as market church of the city and later also as church of the city council. Adam of Bremen recorded it as basilica sancti Viti in a time, before architectural terminology was developed, but there is no evidence that its shape had been a basilica at any time.

 

In 1220 it was mentioned as Church of St Mary, for the first time. In 1219, Gerhard II had become archbishop. It is supposed that he changed the dedication and almost at the same time began to rebuild the church as a hall church. The only remainders of the buildings before are the southern tower, the ossuary cellar and parts of the inner side of the northern wall above the ossuary. Therefore, the footplans of the preceding churches are unknown. The ossuary had been built with two accesses (as typical for crypts), but its positions seems not to be typical for a crypt.

 

In the 1220s, the church was built in early Gothic style, with Angevin vaults. The core was a hall of three to three bays with four pillars. In the east it had a chancel of one bay, and the lateral vessels ended with apses. North of the old tower it has an original additional bay and in the northwestern edge a second tower, larger than the Romanesque old one. Originally, the ground flour of the 1220s tower was open to the nave, on two sides. In the following century, it was cut off by walls, as it had to house the archive of the city council, known as the Tresekammer.

 

At about 1343, the nave was enlarged by addition of a second southern aisle, of the same width and height as the older vessels. In 1461, the old chancel was replaced by long choir of three bays. The apses at the side vessels disappeared.

 

In the 1860s, the additional vessel was cut off by Gothic Revival windows, and it was divided into a ground flour with small rooms and the Christophorus-Saal (St Christopher's hall) in the upper storey (with high Gothic Revival windows). In the 1890s, a new western portal was opened between the two towers. In 1924, the ground flour of the northern tower was converted into a war memorial – which was re-designed in pacifist purpose, recently.

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 18, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

Alfred Manessier (French, 19111- 1993)

 

Port du Nord or Le petit Port - 1955

______________________________

 

"Their Friendship and Their Art":

Bechtler Family Favorites

June 22, 2024 – August 18, 2024

 

Based in Zurich, Switzerland, Bessie and Hans Bechtler began collecting modern art in the 1950s, and over the next several decades they supported and befriended many of the most influential artists of the day. They passed on their love of modern art and collecting to their son and museum founder, Andreas Bechtler, and his family. “What an incredible journey this has been,” Andreas has remarked. “When my parents left me part of their collection, I knew I needed to do something special and worthy of the artists who had given so much to my family—their friendship and their art. Charlotte is my home, so I decided to give back to the city in a small way.” This exhibition showcases many of the Bechtler family’s favorite works, selected by Andreas Bechtler and his daughters Fiona Bechtler-Levin, Tanja Bechtler, and Viviane Bechtler-Smith, in consultation with the museum’s curator Katia Zavistovski. Highlighting the practice of over 30 artists—among them Edgar Degas, Jasper Johns, Niki de Saint Phalle, and Sam Francis—the installation features both icons of the collection and works with personal significance.

_____________________________________________

www.bechtler.org

 

"Welcome to the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art – a vibrant hub of artistic exploration and inspiration located in the heart of Uptown Charlotte. As the only museum in the Southern United States dedicated to European and American modern art and its legacies, the Bechtler is rooted in a remarkable era of art history from the collection of the Zürich-based Bechtler family. Intimate in scale, the signature terra-cotta building, designed by Swiss architect Mario Botta, features three floors of gallery spaces designed to pair the museum’s collection with national and international exhibitions that explore and celebrate the importance of modernism and the art it inspired. Please join us as we explore, as modern artists before us did, the always-changing nature of the world around us."

ABBEVILLE, SOMME, FRANCE, JUNE 20, 2023 : details of stained glasses windows in Saint Sepulcre church, by Alfred Manessier workshop, year 1989 to 1993

1 2 ••• 11 13 15 16 17