Back to gallery

Rotherhithe Tunnel

(1909)

(2015)

 

This view shows the Rotherhithe end of the Rotherhithe Tunnel, a tunnel under the River Thames, which was constructed between 1904 and 1908.

The tunnel, which connects Rotherhithe on the south side of the river and Limehouse on the north side, was formally opened on 12th June 1908 by George, Prince of Wales (later King George V) and Richard Robinson, Chairman of the London County Council.

The South Metropolitan Gas Works can be seen in the distance in the top photo.

 

 

 

 

 

» Then and Now: Localities

» Then and Now: Film and Television

2,837 views
3 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on September 4, 2015