View allAll Photos Tagged printer

Printer stand I designed and made for my student's office. The top pockets are used to store the printouts not picked up. The design is close to an ideal setup for a shared printer.

ROAD TO SPRINGS

PORTER, INDIANA

 

Date: 1909

Source Type: Postcard

Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Albert Hahn Company

Postmark: February 11, 1909, Porter, Indiana

Collection: Steven R. Shook

Remark: Knott's Mineral Springs was originally known as Kimbell's Mineral Springs. The natural artesian spring was developed around 1903 and 1904 with the goal of becoming a health resort. Due to poor capitalization, the resort never fully developed and the effort to make the area a health spa was abandoned.

 

The following news item is from the September 23, 1899, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

ABOUT THE COUNTY

Valparaiso.

S. S. Kimbell, of the Chicago Hydraulic Press Brick Co., has purchased the Eckerman farm adjoining the brick company's land, for the purpose of making a resort out of the place.

 

-----------------

 

The following news item is from the September 30, 1899, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

PORTER POINTERS

The sanitarium people have put a number of men to work on their new building site, the Eckerman farm. The men are cleaning out the river bed and also taking the brush off the place.

 

-----------------

 

The following news item is from the January 19, 1905, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

We are going to put on a force of wood cutters and trim up the beautiful groves over at Kimbell Springs. It will be done under the direction of an eminent landscape gardener from Chicago and Uncle Bob Weddell says spring will find the Kimbell Mineral Springs property one of the finest parks and popular health resorts in northern Indiana. If no other company builds by spring Major Kimbell will develop the place on his own account.

 

-----------------

 

The following news item is from the May 4, 1905, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Baillytown.

Work at the Kimbell Springs is progressing rapidly, although Uncle Bob complains of lack of help. The shrubbery has been cleared away and the whole grove presents quite a different appearance than before, In time, if the plans concerning the beautifying of the place are carried out, the place will undoubtedly be transformed into a beautiful park. Some people think it necessary in order to see beautiful scenery, to leave their homes, and never once give a thought of how pretty their everyday surroundings are. Such people are badly mistaken. Some of the scenery in and about the Calumet valley is as beautiful, of course on a minor scale, as can be found anywhere. At Kimbell Springs there are some really picturesque places, which Mr. Weddell is trying to develop into greater beauty, and has so far succeeded admirably well.

 

-----------------

 

The following news item is from the September 4, 1913, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Department

A. F. Knotts is preparing to subdivide parts of his Mineral Springs property near Porter, Indiana, during the coming Fall and will put it on the market in small tracts suitable for country homes. Mr. Knotts believes that just as the well-to-do people of Chicago have built their country homes along the north shore so well-to-do people of the Calumet District, of Hammond, Whiting, East Chicago and Gary, will eventually located in the charming country in the vicinity of Chesterton and Porter.

 

Sources:

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; September 23, 1899; Volume 16, Number 24, Page 5, Column 2. Column titled "About the County. Valparaiso."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; September 30, 1899; Volume 16, Number 25, Page 8, Column 4. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; January 19, 1905; Volume 21, Number 42, Page 1, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; May 4, 1905; Volume 22, Number 5, Page 8, Column 5. Column titled "Baillytown"

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; September 4, 1913; Volume 30, Number 24, Page 3, Column 2. Column titled "Porter Department."

 

Copyright 2012. Some rights reserved. The associated text may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of Steven R. Shook.

The 2014's are here, fresh from the printers! These calendars are produced for the KB&S, their families and KB&S on-line customers. We ran some extras this year, so if anyone is interested in one of these feel free to contact me. Cost is $20, the railroad will not turn a profit on these, this is strictly printing cost and shipping only. This photo doesn't do great justice, calendars are extremely vivid and as sharp as a tack.

ODC-Logo(s)-Logomark(s)

 

Our HP Printer works with the WiFi in our house, it's nice not to have cables all over the place.

Some of the people checking out the printing and building at the 3D Printer' Village.

Dear Sir,

 

We will provide you HP LaserJet printer free of cost and supply ABcartridge for the printer. The cost of AB cartridge will be less than 60% HP cartridge and we assure you that you will get the same quality and the same number of printouts as HP cartridge gives you. There are no AMC & maintenance charges. You have to pay only for the cartridge cost.

 

Tel: (022) | 40971111 | 23008877 | 61436666

Toll Free: 1800 207 8899 | www.abcartridge.com

 

This is game play from an old ZX81 game of mine using the ZX printer.

Connects by USB or Printer Cable (not included, but negotiable)

Professionally cleaned July 2006

Shown with 8.5x11" paper in output tray

The Shader Printer. The laser we use is about 20 times more powerful than a laser pointer. So like a microwave, we print in a shielded environment.

Enjoy the Awesome 3D Models printed by ICEMAN 3D

 

Printer. Would you like to own one truly affordable ( Lower

 

Price Than iphone) and esy use 3D printer with WiFi

 

Connection to start your amazing journey of 3D printing ?

 

iceman3dprinters@gmail.com,

 

Mobile,WhatsApp,Wechat :+86153 7385 8657

Old news paper printers, most of the machinery has been sold or scrapped now.

How to configure a network printer and scanner on Ubuntu desktop

 

If you would like to use this photo, be sure to place a proper attribution linking to xmodulo.com

What is included with the Canon Pixma 1800 inkjet printer. Power cord, 2 cartridges (cl-31, and pg-30 small starter cartridges), and software installation CD.

POS Sales offers a comprehensive spectrum of receipt printers that are designed to offer great durability and reliability in all retail and hospitality environments. From thermal to mobile and kitchen receipt printers, our collection includes diverse printing solutions to suit a number of retail environments and needs.

For More info Visit at, possales.com.au/receipt-printers/thermal-receipt-printers...

 

SW. LUTH. AUGSBURG CHURCH. PORTER IND.

 

Date: Circa 1910

Source Type: Postcard

Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Karbo, M. L. Photo Company (#9)

Postmark: None

Collection: Steven R. Shook

Remark: Mineral Springs Road is visible along the left side of this postcard image and the church fronts along this road. The church seen in this postcard image no longer exists. It represented the third of four churches that have occupied the same site. The location of this church is the southeast corner of the present day junction of Beam Street and Mineral Springs Road in Porter, Indiana. At 3:45 pm on Saturday, March 11, 1933, the church seen here was destroyed by a fire caused by a propane gas tank explosion in the basement. The blast occurred while the congregation's Luther League members were preparing to serve a waffle supper. Injured were Ruth Chellberg, Adele Borg, Marion Dilley, and Steve Ignacik. Chellburg was severely burned but she did recover.

 

The church filed suit in the Porter Circuit Court for damages against the Protane Corporation and Illinois Bottled Gas Company to collect $21,000 in losses caused by the fire.

 

By August of 1933, construction had begun on the structure currently used by the congregation. The structure cost $30,000 to build and was sited at the same location of previous church.

 

The Augsburg Evangelical Lutheran Church in Porter, Porter County, Indiana, can trace its establishment to 1852.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the October 14, 1899, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The Baillytown Swedish Lutherans have started out to raise money to build a new church on their property west of the Hydraulic brick yards. If build the structure is to be the finest in the township.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the February 17, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Chesterton Chips.

The Swedish Lutheran Augsburgs church decided at a meeting held Feb. 14 to build a new church this year. The plans call for a church the equal of any in the township. The basement will be of stone, and the main part of brick. The main part will seat 300 and the gallery 100. E. G. Peterson, of Englewood, Ills., is the architect, and will superintend the work. A lot of material will be donated, and also considerable labor, including hauling, by the congregation. Work on the edifice will begin as soon as the weather will permit.

 

------

 

The following two newspaper items appeared in the March 3, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The members of the Swedish church have been hauling brick all this week from the Hydraulic yards for their new house of worship.

 

Rev. M. Lonner went to Joliet Wednesday to make the contract for stone for the foundation of the new church. He returned Thursday evening.

 

Carlson & Nelson have the contract for the building of the new Swedish church at Baillytown, the plans for which will call for the expenditure of about $4,000. The old edifice will be moved across the road from its present site and will be occupied by the church until the new structure is ready for dedication.

 

------

 

The following two newspaper items appeared in the May 5, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

The Swedish Lutheran congregation of Baillytown will give a strawberry festival in the orchard at the parsonage this (Saturday) evening beginning at 7 o'clock, to which all are invited. The proceeds will be turned over to the church building fund.

 

E. G. Peterson, of Chicago, architect for the Baillytown church, was here last Tuesday and had a meeting with the building committee, and it was decided to begin work as soon as the old church is removed. The work will be in charge of the architect, who will come and inspect it once a week during it progress. J. P. Carlson was elected as foreman under the architect to take charge of the labor, etc.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the July 6, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

The Swedish Lutheran picnic given in Samuelson's grove on the Fourth of July netted the new church fund over $300. It was attended by over 2,000 people, a great many of whom were former residents of this township now living in neighboring towns, who were very generous to the cause. It is surprising the large number of people who once lived here that are now located elsewhere. They all return to renew old friendships on the fourth, preferring old friends to the attractions of the cities.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the July 20, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The laying of the corner stone of the new Swedish Lutheran church at Baillytown will take place Sunday afternoon, July 22, beginning at 3 o'clock. The corner stone will be laid by Rev. H. O. Lindblad of Chicago, who will also deliver the principal address of the day. There will be addresses in German by Rev. Houseman of Chesterton, and Rev. Lonner will talk in English. Rev. Lindblad will speak in Swedish. The public is cordially invited to attend. An appropriate program has been prepared for the occasion. In the forenoon Rev. Lindblad will preach in the old church. In the afternoon there will be a collection taken up for the church fund; those attending will please bring their purses to help the good cause along.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the July 27, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

CORNER STONE OF BAILLYTOWN CHURCH

Is Laid Amid Imposing Ceremonies and General Rejoicing by the Swedish Lutheran congregation Last Sunday

The corner stone of the new Swedish Lutheran Augsburg church at Porter was laid on Sunday afternoon last. All the members from the different districts of the church and a great many from Chesterton, Millers and other neighboring villages were present. It is possible there were 1000 present to witness this solemn ceremony. A little after three o'clock it began with the singing of a hymn in the Swedish language by the congregation. After the singing, Rev. H. O. Lindeblad, of Chicage [sic], gave the principal address of the occasion and had chosen for his text Jeremiah 51:50. "Remember the Lord from afar, and let Jerusalem come into your mind." In this address words were uttered that will always be remembered in the hearts of those present that could understand the beautiful language of the Swedish people. Rev. Housman of Chesterton, was the next speaker, and he gave an address in the German language. The writer of this not only understands German but is able to talk in that language also, therefore he is able to say that Rev. Housman gave both a good and very appropriate address for the occasion.

 

Rev. Lonner, pastor of the church was the third speaker. He spoke first in the Swedish language and gave a history of the church from its beginning, and stated that this building of which the corner stone now is to be laid will be the third the congregation has built in its history and had to worship in. Rev. Lonner gave the same address in English also. Rev. Lindeblad also made a few remarks in English, and a Swedish hymn was sung by the congregation while a collection was taken up, amounting to nearly $41. To close, the corner stone was laid by Rev. Lindblad, and he also pronounced the benediction over all present, over the congregation and over the work of the new church. The chorus also assisted in singing a very appropriate hymn.

 

The following articles were placed in the corner stone. Several Swedish newspapers and the Chesterton Tribune, a history of the church from its beginning until the present time, two of the Swedish hymn books that are now used in the church, one picture of the present pastor and his family, one new testament in the Swedish language, one medal made in honor of the meeting at Ujesala in 1539, when the Lutheran faith was established in all Sweden, one 50 cent piece, one 25 cent piece, one 10 cent piece, one 5 cent piece and one 1 cent piece and also a small copper coin of Swedish money, Luther's smaller catechism in Swedish, etc.

 

The church was established 48 years ago. At the beginning there were only eight families, in all 46 members, many of whom are now dead, and others have moved away from here. Only three of those who were with it from the beginning do yet belong to the church, and only two of them were present to see the laying of the corner stone. The names of those yet belonging are Otto Wistrand, of Salt Creek, James Erikson, of Baillytown, and Carl Gustaf Johnson, of Chesterton. When the church was established the members were all very poor; now the members are mostly all well off, and some are what may be said very wealthy. The congregation has always prospered and although many have year by year died and other have moved from here it has grown, and its present membership is 360. Eight pastors have as yet served the congregation. Rev. A. A. Andreen was the first pastor of the church. For some years he labored here and did good work, and that may be said of all his successors. Rev. P. Ljablom had charge of the church as its pastor from July 29, 1866, until April 1, 1869, when he moved to Minnesota where he is yet a laborer in God's vineyard. Rev. J. P. Nyquist was located here from Sept. 24, 1869, to May 30, 1871. Rev. Nyquist has been for many years, among those that rest the eternal rest above. Rev. C. H. Labeyren served the congregation from July 1, 1871, until the beginning of 1875. He is at present located in Nebraska. Rev. A. Challman was located here from March 3, 1875 to May 27, 1886. Two months ago he was by his Master relieved from work here and is now at rest in heaven. Rev. W. F. Doureen labored as the pastor of the congregation from June, 1891, to June 1, 1898. During 1898 Rev. O. V. Holmgrain, of Chesterton, served the congregation as its temporary pastor. Rev. M. J. Lonner has served the congregation since August 3d of last year.

 

Rev. Lonner has labored hard for the welfare and upbuilding of the congregation. The new church will, for generations to come, stand as a monument and as a proof of his faithful work. He has, in the last two months, raised over $1300 for the new church and he expected to be able to raise $700 more during this and next month. When the congregation decided to build the new church it had already nearly $2,000 in a fund for the same purpose, and with $2,000 more and all the donated labor it is expected the church will be paid for when finished, and it will be safe to say when furnished that it will be one of the finest country churches in the county.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the September 14, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The brick work on the new church at Baillytown, will soon be finished and as soon as possible the church will be inclosed and the work inside begun.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the September 28, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Chesterton Chips.

Work on the new church at Baillytown is progressing as rapidly as possible. The structure looms up imposingly, and is a credit to the devotion and enterprise of the Swedish people of this township.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the October 5, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The roof is being put on the new Baillytown church and will be nearly completed this week.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the November 16, 1900, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The contract for the new pews for the Baillytown church has been let to the Grand Rapids School Furniture Co. It is expected that the church will be ready for use by Christmas if the weather will continue favorable.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the January 7, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The colored glass for the Baillytown church has arrived, and will be put in place at once. The pews have also come, and will be put in place as soon as possible, which may but be until the last of the month.

 

The old frame church building at Baillytown will be for sale as soon as the new one is ready. It is 27 by 50, one story, and 14 ft. ceiling. It has good frames and easy to move. It can be made into a good store building. The trustees will have the selling of it.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the February 22, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

Work on the new Baillytown church is being rushed as fast as possible. The painters began work Thursday of this week. It is now thought that the edifice will be ready for services some time the last of March.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the March 22, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

It is now hoped that the new church at Baillytown will be ready for dedication next Easter. The painters are doing the inside work, and the furnace is in and running to keep the interior warm and dry. This church is undoubtedly the finest in the township. Rev. Lonner has already begun a campaign for a bell suitable for the edifices that he wants a pipe organ.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the April 5, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

To The Public.

The new Swedish Lutheran church at Baillytown will be about finished by Easter, and the opening service will be held in it the first Sunday after Easter, beginning at 10 o'clock in the morning. The communion service will be held in Swedish by Rev. M. J. Lonner, and Rev. H. O. Lindeblad, chaplain of Augustana Hospital, will preach from the pulpit in English. A great number of new members will be added to the congregation.

 

As to the new church, I say nothing. I will only invite all the members who have donated to it, and everyone else who is able to be present at the opening service to be with us, and than [sic] you can judge for yourself as to the looks of it, and I known you will say that it is good workmanship all through, and you will say that Messrs. Lahayn and Sandberg, of Chesterton, have shown themselves as masters of their trade. You will say that the fresco painting they have done is of the very finest, and you will say the same about the graining and the finishing touches of all the woodwork in the church. You are all requested to bring your pocketbook with you because a big collection is to be taken up for the benefit of the church.

 

Respectfully your friend,

M. J. LONNER,

Past of the church.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the June 14, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The basement of the new church is to be furnished. Messrs. J. P. Carlson and Alfred Borg commenced the work this week.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the July 12, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

The old Baillytown church building has been sold to Carl Swenson.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the November 15, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Porter Pointers.

As it is near to the dedication of our new church, that is so near to Nov. 25, I will kindly ask all who have donated to be present on that day at 10 a. m., to see the dedication of the grand, new church. The dedication sermon will be preached in Swedish by the Rt. Rev. Bishop von Scheele from Sweden. Afterwards will be a short sermon in English by Rev. Lofgren, of Michigan City, and then the Bishop will speak in English. After the dedication a good dinner will be served for all in the basement. The new church bell, which cost nearly $500 and is bought from Meneely & Co., West Troy, N. Y., will call to service for the first time that day. Be sure to come now and come early in order to get room. As many at Valparaiso have donated to our church I hope the Valparaiso papers will also give room for this invitation.

 

Respectfully,

M. J. LONNER, pastor.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the November 29, 1901, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

IMPRESSIVE DEDICATION SERVICES.

Held Last Monday in the New Swedish Lutheran Augsburg Church at Porter.

Bishop von Scheele, Personal Representative of King Oscar of Sweden, Presides Over the Ceremonies.

The Large Church is Packed to the Doors Withy People From Far and Near Who Came to Witness the Ceremonies.

BY MRS. HANNAH S. BURSTROM.

 

The greatest event in the history of the Swedish Lutheran Augsburg church of Baillytown took place at 10 a. m. Monday, when the new church was dedicated. The occasion was hightened [sic] by the presence of Bishop von Scheele, of Sweden, a representative of King Oscar II.

 

The services were opened by the singing of a song by the congregation, after which the Bishop made his appearance in the clerical robes of the State church of Sweden. He has a straight, fine figure, and the gray locks on his head made him look venerable indeed. His discourse was a very able one, and he seemed to speak from the fullness of his heart. He spoke for about 45 minutes the first time, in the Swedish language. After him spoke the Rev. Abrahamson, of Chicago, in Swedish; Rev. D. A. Lofgren, of Michigan City, spoke in English.

 

The dedication ceremonies were conducted by Bishop von Scheele, assisted by nearly a dozen ministers from Chicago and elsewhere, the ceremony being very solemn. After the dedication the Bishop spoke in English and German. At the close of the services everybody was invited to shake hands with him, and every one present took advantage of the opportunity to shake hands with the distinguished clergyman, and all were given a hearty return of the friendly greeting.

 

Greetings per telegram were read from King Oscar of Sweden.

 

At the close of the morning services dinner was served for the Bishop and his party in the parsonage, and for other friends in the basement of the church.

 

The Bishop and his party left for Chicago at 2 o’clock. The afternoon service was conducted by Rev. Siljesstrom, of Laporte, and Rev. Forsberg, of South Bend.

 

Thus closed the greatest day in the history of the church.

 

There was one thing, however, that was a sad disappointment, and that was that the new bell did not arrive in time. It came to Chesterton Saturday night, but that was too late to get it hoisted. The pastor and congregation had worked hard all summer to get the bell in time for the dedication, but were destined to be disappointed after all. But “every cloud has a silver lining,” as the saying is. The ball is here and will be in place before another Sabbath.

 

A few works, before we close, about the object of Bishop von Scheele’s visit to this country. Bishop von Scheele and Rev. P. W. Waldenstrom were invited by Yale University to attend their bi-centennial anniversary as representatives of two of the oldest and most noted colleges in Sweden. “Upsala” and “Geile” college. They really did not represent these institutions, but they figured as such at Yale because all foreign visitors had to represent some institution of learning from their own country.

 

Then by invitation of the Lutheran Augustana Synod of North America and also at the request of King Oscar II, to represent him, he has been visiting the principal churches, schools and other institutions of that synod. He has been received with enthusiasm everywhere. At the festivities held at Bethany College, Lindsburg, Kansas, a long telegram of greeting arrived from President Roosevelt, also one from U. S. minister to Sweden and Norway, W. W. Thomas.

 

The railroad companies have vied with each other to carry the Bishop and his party, and some have furnished special car for their benefit.

 

We understand he will leave the United States for his own country some time in December.

 

The corner stone of the new edifice was laid on Sunday afternoon July 22, 1900, in the presence of all the members of the church and a great many from Chesterton, Millers and other neighboring villages were present to witness the ceremony. The following articles were placed in the corner stone: Several Swedish newspapers, a copy of the Chesterton Tribune, a history of the church from the beginning until the present time, two of the Swedish hymn books, such as are now used in the church, one picture of the present pastor and his family, one new testament in the Swedish language, one medal in honor of the meeting at Ujesala, in 1539, when the Lutheran faith was established in all Sweden, one 50 cent piece, one 25 cent piece, one 10 cent piece, one 5 cent piece and one 1 cent piece, and also a small copper coin of Swedish money, and Luther’s smaller catechism in Swedish.

 

The church was established about fifty years ago, and at the beginning there were only eight families, 46 members in all, most of whom are now dead and others have moved away from here. When the church was established the members were all very poor, now they are all well off, and some are quite wealthy. The congregation has always prospered, and although many have passed away year by year, and others have gone to seek new homes and fortunes elsewhere, the membership has grown to nearly 400.

 

Eight pastors have served the congregation, Rev. A. Andreen being the first. He labored here for a number of years with excellent results. Rev. P. Ljablom was pastor of the church from July 29, 1866, until April 1, 1869, when he moved to Minnesota, where he is yet a laborer in God’s vineyard. Rev. J. P. Niquist was located here from Sept. 24, 1869 to May 30, 1871. Rev. C. H. Labeyron served the congregation from July 1, 1871, to 1875, and is now located in Nebraska. Rev. A. Challman came here March 3, 1875, and remained for over eleven years. He was succeeded by Rev. W. F. Doureen, who labored here until June 1, 1898. Rev. O. V. Holmgrain, of Chesterton, served the congregation temporarily until August 3, 1899, when Rev. M. J. Lonner, the present pastor, took up the work of the congregation, and to his untiring efforts may be credited the handsome new house of God.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the July 16, 1925, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

LCOAL-SOCIAL-PERSONAL

The steeple of the Baillytown church was struck by lightning during the storm Saturday afternoon and split it from top down to the brick foundation of the belfry. The east side of the steeple was torn away. The congregation held a meeting Monday evening for the purpose of deciding on whether to erect a new steeple or do away with it altogether, but came to no decision. Another meeting will be held next Monday evening and it will be decided then whether it will be rebuilt or removed entirely. The damage will amount to a considerable sum. This is the second time this church has been damaged by lightning.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the March 16, 1933, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

Augsburg Lutheran Church Destroyed by Fire Saturday

Threatening the lives of two of the church workers, fire completely destroyed the Augsburg Lutheran church in Old Porter last Saturday afternoon, an explosion of bottled gas being the cause.

 

Several members of the Senior Luther league of the church were working in the basement, preparing for a public waffle supper scheduled to begin at 5:30 o’clock. The church janitor, Albert Gustafson, was upstairs. The pastor, Paul V. Nelson, and Walter Olson were at the parsonage.

 

A coal fire had been started in the kitchen range and there also was a fire in the furnace in the dining room and in a heatrola in the primary room.

 

About 3:30 o’clock Miss Ruth Chellberg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Chellberg, and Miss Adele Borg, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Bord, started to turn on the gas range. The coal range was being used to heat water for coffee and to warm syrup, so more stove space was needed.

 

The gas comes in liquid form in metal cylinders. Air is pumped into cylinder to exert pressure and the girls had pumped up the cylinders and were turning on the gas at the cylinder when there was a rush of gas from the tank and an explosion, as the volatile gas came into contact with the fire in the range and ignited.

 

The entire kitchen became a mass of flames almost at once, it seemed to those in the dining room. Miss Borg ran out of the kitchen at once and was burned on her left arm and left leg. Miss Chellberg was nearer the flames and her dress ignited. She had presence of mind to drop to the floor and roll out into the dining room. This act, combined with the fact that she was wearing a sweater coat which did not catch fire, probably saved her life. Mrs. Elmer Johnson rushed to her assistance and she was saved from further burns about the back and legs. She was taken to the parsonage across the street from the church and on Sunday to her home, where [she] is suffering but will recover.

 

In the meantime Miss Dorothy Borg ran to the parsonage and called the fire department, while Rev. Nelson and Mrs. Olson started to carry out such small articles as were convenient. Coats and hats, choir robs, primary room rug, silverware, tablecloths, mimeograph, candelabra, crucifix, hymnals, and Sunday school charts were among the articles saved. Three of the girls lost their purses, one containing $15 in cash. Electric waffle irons to cook the supper were all saved.

 

Those in the church when the fire started were: Mrs. Elmer Johnson and daughters Doris, Lorraine, and Marilyn, Mrs. Walter Olson and daughter Merle, Missed Ruth Chellberg, Adele Borg, Margaret Larson, Hazel and Elzene Charlson, Dorothy Borg, and Albert Gustafson.

 

Through an error the Chesterton fire department was called first and responded promptly. No water is available at the church, the nearest hydrant being half a mile east. Chemicals were applied, but the flames had gained such rapid headway that little progress was made. The Porter department arrived a few minutes later and continued the use of chemicals. Each department carried the same quantity of chemicals, two 35-gallon tanks, or 70 gallons each.

 

An attempt was made to pump water from a septic tank back of the parsonage, but this supply of water was soon exhausted. It was then decided to hook all available hose together and try to pump water from the Little Calumet river. Chesterton carried 1,100 feet of hose and Porter 700 feet. This was insufficient, but the Michigan City truck arrived just then and furnished enough more to get a stream on the fire, but the flames were too far advanced by then to be subdued. Later a Gary fire engine arrived. The Valparaiso engine started but lack of oil or some mechanical difficulty stalled them at Flint Lake.

 

Shortly after the fire started there was another explosion as a second gas tank exploded. Smoke was seen coming out of the steeple after this and the auditorium was filled. Without a plentiful supply of water, saving the building was an impossibility.

 

The building burned for over an hour before the steeple fell. Motorists stated that the burning church spire could been as far away as Valparaiso.

 

Church services were held in Bethlehem Lutheran church at Chesterton Sunday afternoon. The board of administration met Saturday evening and again on Sunday and discussed plans for the rebuilding of the church. There was $13,500 insurance on the building, but it probably will cost three times that sum to replace the building and its furnishings.

 

All the pastors of other churches in this community offered the use of their churches until such time as the new church is ready. Dr. E. H. Carlson, pastor at Augsburg for ten years, offered the free use of the Carlson Planetarium for Sunday school and Sunday morning services. He also expresses the hope that the old bell may be erected on some temporary structure and the community again be given the gladness of listening to its message.

 

The board of administration, after considering all offers, decided to hold church services in St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran church at Porter and Sunday school in the Porter grade school building.

 

The destroyed church building was of red brick, sixty feet long, thirty-six feet wide, and twenty feet high by the walls, with a steeple one hundred feet high. The basement walls were of native stone.

 

The cornerstone was laid July 22, 1900, by Rev. H. O. Lindeblad. The church was dedicated on Nov. 25, 1901, by Bishop K. H. von Scheele of Visby, Sweden, assisted by Dr. L. G. Abrahamson, Illinois conference president, and the pastors of the LaPorte district. Services were held in the church for the first time in April, 1901.

 

The church building committee consisted of: Rev. M. J. Lonner, J. P. Carlson, S. A. Samuelson, C. P. Nelson, Carl Svenson, Alfred Borg, and Louis Johnson. N. A. Samuelson was treasurer of the building committee. The contractor was E. G. Peterson of Chicago.

 

The church bell, which was also dedicated by Bishop von Scheele and rung for the first time on Nov. 25, 1901, had the following inscription:

 

“I am calling to Worship, I am calling to Prayer; I am calling you to our Church. Com and dear by sound.

 

“Donated by gifts gathered inside and from outside the Sw. Ev. Luth. Augsburg Congregation. In Porter, Ind., has the Pastor of the Church, Rev. M. J. Lonner bought this Bell. It is the first call to worship Nov. 25, 1901, when the Church will be dedicated by Bishop K. H. von Scheele, from Visby.”

 

The first church on this site was built in 1894 and dedicated on Dec. 18 of that year by Dr. T. N. Hasselquist, president of the Augustana synod. This frame building was forty-six feet long and twenty-eight feet wide. It was built on one acre of ground donated by J. Johnson. From him the congregation also purchased an additional two acres for the cemetery adjoining the church to the south. Later they purchased a smaller tract from J. Eckerman.

 

The Augsburg Evangelical Lutheran congregation was organized in 1858 with thirty-one communicant members. St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic church of Chesterton was organized that same year. As early as 1855 Lutheran pastors made missionary journeys out to the Swedish pioneers, who had settled in and about what was known as “Slab City,” located in the vicinity of the Dunes highway and the Mineral Springs road.

 

Previous to 1858 services were held in private homes, but after the congregation was organized a store building in “Slab City,” or Baillytown, was procured and remodeled as chapel for five years.

 

In 1862 the first resident pastor, Rev. A. Andreen, moved to Baillytown with his family and lived in a newly erected parsonage on land donated by C. G. Johnson.

 

The Augsburg church was a missionary center for northeastern Indiana in its early days, serving the people of Hobart and other places throughout the present Calumet district. Up to 1869 the congregation was affiliated with the congregation at LaPorte.

 

On Jan. 31, 1879, about sixty-five members of the Augsburg congregation, who lived in and near Chesterton, petitioned that they be allowed to form an independent congregation and the Bethlehem church of Chesterton was organized. The two churched had one pastor until 1886, when the connection was completely severed.

 

The congregation has been planning to celebrate its seventy-fifth anniversary this year. The burning of the church may mean a postponement of some of the features of this celebration.

 

Rev. Paul V. Nelson is pastor of the Augsburg church, coming here on July 1, 1929. The board of administration consists of: Deacons -- E. A. Swanson, N. A. Samuelson, Arthur Pillman, Victor Charlson, Wilton Swanson, Walter Chellberg, J. Victor Nelson, Carl Danielson, and Oscar Charlson. Trustees -- Walter Olson, Clarence Bergren, Roy L. Peterson, Arthur Chellberg, Edward Danielson, C. W. Nelson, Elmer Gustafson, Ralph Peterson, and Leonard Johnson of Furnessville.

 

------

 

The following newspaper item appeared in the March 16, 1933, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:

 

TO REBUILD AUGSBURG CHURCH ON OLD SITE

A new church building will be erected on the site of the old church by the Augsburg congregation it was decided at a congregational meeting last Thursday evening in St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran church in Porter.

 

Adolph Hanson of the firm of Hanson & Kramer, architects, of Chicago was present at the meeting and submitted plans for a new church building. At a meeting next Friday evening these plans will be considered by the congregation and will come up for adoption.

 

It was also decided at the meeting last week not to use the old walls. There had been some questions as to whether to use them or not, bit it is now definitely decided not to and a force of volunteer workers are engaged in dismantling the old building. The bricks will be cleaned and used on the new building wherever possible. The wrecker of the Shadyside garage was used to pull the walls over. By Monday evening all that remained was the tower in front.

 

Sources:

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; October 14, 1899; Volume 16, Number 27, Page 4, Column 3. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; February 17, 1900; Volume 16, Number 45, Page 5, Column 6. Column titled "Chesterton Chips."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; March 3, 1900; Volume 16, Number 47, Page 4, Column 3. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; May 11, 1900; Volume 17, Number 5, Page 1, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; July 6, 1900; Volume 17, Number 13, Page 5, Column 6. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; July 20, 1900; Volume 17, Number 15, Page 5, Column 6. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; July 27, 1900; Volume 16, Number 16, Page 5, Columns 5-7. Column titled "Corner Stone of Baillytown Church Is Laid Amid Imposing Ceremonies and General Rejoicing by the Swedish Lutheran congregation Last Sunday."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; September 14, 1900; Volume 17, Number 23, Page 1, Column 6. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; September 28, 1900; Volume 17, Number 25, Page 5, Column 7. Column titled "Chesterton Chips."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; October 5, 1900; Volume 17, Number 26, Page 2, Column 6. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; November 16, 1900; Volume 17, Number 32, Page 5, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; January 4, 1901; Volume 17, Number 39, Page 4, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; February 22, 1901; Volume 17, Number 46, Page 4, Column 2. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; March 22, 1901; Volume 17, Number 50, Page 5, Column 3. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; April 5, 1901; Volume 17, Number 52, Page 5, Column 3. Column titled "To The Public."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; June 14, 1901; Volume 18, Number 10, Page 5, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; July 12, 1901; Volume 18, Number 14, Page 5, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; November 15, 1901; Volume 18, Number 32, Page 4, Column 7. Column titled "Porter Pointers."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; November 29, 1901; Volume 18, Number 34, Page 1, Columns 6-7. Column titled "Impressive Dedication Services,"

by Mrs. Hannah S. Burstrom.

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; July 16, 1925; Volume 42, Number 19, Page 5, Column 4. Column titled "Local-Social-Personal."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; March 16, 1933; Volume 49, Number 50, Page 1, Columns 6-7 and Page 5, Column 3. Column titled "Augsburg Lutheran Church Destroyed by Fire Saturday."

 

The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; June 29, 1933; Volume 50, Number 13, Page 1, Column 3. Column titled "To Rebuild Augsburg Church on Old Site."

 

Copyright 2012. Some rights reserved. The associated text may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of Steven R. Shook.

Someone is renting about 50 HP Laser Printers from us. Here they are prepared to go out the door. The ugly part will be when they return and we have to check them all and replace toner cartridges, if needed.

Printers Alley, Nashville Tennesee.

shot in digital black and white with the new Nikon Coolpix P300.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer%27s_Alley

PRP-250 Thermal Receipt Printer, Print speed @ 250 mm / sec. , interface: USB+Serial+LAN 3-in-1!! Glossy Red Top + White Body, Goes well with Zenis POS and AIO PC designs!

 

Taiwan Factory Address - View on Google Map : ppt.cc/~t8A

 

Website: www.fametech.com.tw

Contact Email: info@fametech.com.tw

 

Description: The Printer: Volume 1. 1928. No 3. Magazine of the Edinburgh Printing and Allied Trades Continuation classes.

 

Accession Number: SH.2009.288.1

 

Further Notes:

History: George Kay taught typography at Heriot Watt College, Chambers Street, Edinburgh.

Edinburgh City of Print is a joint project between City of Edinburgh Museums and the Scottish Archive of Print and Publishing History Records (SAPPHIRE). The project aims to catalogue and make accessible the wealth of printing collections held by City of Edinburgh Museums. For more information about the project please visit www.edinburghcityofprint.org

 

Production Date: 1937

Source Type: Postcard

Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Alfred Mainzer, Curt Teich (#56, #7A-H172)

Postmark: None

Collection: Steven R. Shook

 

Tenney and Hilbert Published Market Price in 2009: $3-$6

 

Source: Tenney, Fred, and Kevin Hilbert. 2009. Large Letter Postcards: The Definitive Guide 1930s to 1950s. Atglen, Pennsylvania: Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. 176 p.

 

Copyright 2010. Some rights reserved. The associated text may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of Steven R. Shook.

Delta Printer Complete Carriage on Extrusion

Splatted ink cartridge art

We offer barcode equipment service in US and Canada. We understand your barcode scanners and barcode printer needs. With all the necessary experience and expertise to develop low cost, reliable solutions that meet your specific needs you can rely on us for barcode equipment service. Visit scanagain.com for Quote. www.scanagain.com

Little Printer in Wired's Wish List

1 2 ••• 17 18 20 22 23 ••• 79 80