View allAll Photos Tagged Goodenough
Sundays are English tea party days in Goodenough College. Scones, freshly baked are the superstar of the party - every single week!
Noms.
Foundation stone 5 May 1907 by Rev Dr Norton, Bishop of Port Augusta, opened 28 Jul 1907, last service 25 Jun 2006, for sale Oct 2013. Previous services in town in wooden church. Services from 1878 in church 5 miles away on Willochra Plain.
“the foundation stone of the new Roman Catholic Church. About 300 church members marched to the, building site, which is situated in the centre of the township. For many years the need for a larger place of worship has been felt. At present the services are held in the Town Hall; the old church not providing nearly sufficient seating accommodation for the congregation.” [Advertiser 9 May 1907]
“The building of the new Roman Catholic church is being pushed on rapidly and the walls are now at their proper height. When finished this building will be an ornament to the town. The contractor (Mr. Thos. Goodenough) expects to have the church complete in about two months time.” [Quorn Mercury 4 Jun 1907]
“The soaking rains of Friday and Saturday would in ordinary circumstances no doubt militate against the attendance of persons from a long distance. But such was not the case at Hammond. The church was filled. But many more from outside the parish might have attended were it not for the rain. . . the work of removing old St. Dominic's, Willochra, had been a splendid success, and it would be now a centre of worship for the entire district of Hammond. . . In the afternoon the Bishop and Father Mulcaliy visited the site of old St. Dominic's on the plain.” [Southern Cross 2 Aug 1907]
“At Hammond a consolidation of church buildings was necessary. The old Church of St. Dominic, on the Willochra Plain, five miles outside the town, had become absolutely useless, and would eventually go to ruin. The wooden structure in Hammond itself was also quite inadequate, and unfit for Divine worship. It was decided to remove the materials of the former and re-erect it at Hammond. This was done in a very effective manner.” [Southern Cross 1 May 1908]
“About 300 church members formed in procession and marched to the building site which is a prominent block in the centre of the township. The need for a larger place of worship has been felt for some time, and of late years it had been found necessary to bold the services in the institute hall. . . Father Mulcahv thanked Mr. A. G. Martin for his gift of a block of land, on part of which the church is being built.” [Register 9 May 1907]
“blessing of the new church at Hammond by the Bishop of Port Augusta (Right Rev. Dr. Norton). . . the work of removing old St. Dominic's, Willochra, had been a splendid success, and it would be now a centre of worship for the entire district of Hammond.” [Southern Cross 2 Aug 1907]
WILLOCHRA ST DOMINIC’S CATHOLIC CHURCH
Foundation stone 24 Nov 1878 by Bishop Reynolds, closed, replaced by new church at Hammond 1908.
“The Catholics of Pinda, Willochra, and Coonatto, determined to avail themselves of Bishop Reynolds's visitation to ask His Lordship to lay the foundation-stone of their new church. To meet the wants of these districts Willochra was considered the most central for the new mission church. A site was generously given by Mr. John McAuliffe. For eligibility of situation it could not be surpassed. The Coonatto Range on the east. Beautiful Valley and Mount Brown on the west, and the far famed Mount Remarkable casting its shadow over the extensive plain. The new church will be dedicated under the title of St. Dominic Its dimensions will be S3 feet by 25 feet, walls, from floorline to plate 18 feet. The building will be done in ashler work, with cemented dressings. The design has also a spacious chancel, which will be erected when the needs of the congregation require it. The main building will be proceeded with at once. On Sunday morning the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was offered in a spacious tent.” [Register 30 Nov 1878]
“The building of a Roman Catholic Church on the boundaries of the Hundreds of Coonatto, Willochra, and Pinda is progressing very well considering the scarcity of water. The Rev. B Nevin is the director, to whose indefatigable exertions in the cause much praise is due. 1 learn that he has received very good subscriptions towards the building, not only from the Catholics, but from Protestants, also, which fact proves that no such thing as religious animosity exists in this neighborhood.” [Northern Argus 15 Apr 1879]
HAMMOND WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH
Opened 6 Apr 1884 as Wesleyan, Methodist after Union 1900, closed 1955.
“Hammond. . . The Wesleyan Chapel, which is a wooden structure of fair dimensions, and nicely situated in the centre of the town is now finished.” [Weekly Chronicle 12 Apr 1884]
“Delegates from the Wilmington circuits of the Wesleyan and Bible Christian Churches met at Hammond on April 5. There were present the Revs. I. Perry (presiding), Rev. W. W. Finch, H. Faull, and S. C. Mugford. It was resolved that the churches amalgamate, and that the united bodies should be known as the Wilmington United Methodist Circuit. At Wilmington the congregations will worship in the Bible Christian Church, the Wesleyan Church to be used at present for Sunday-school purposes. The Bible Christian Church at Willowie will continue to use the hymn-book of that church, but the Wesleyan book will be used in each of the other churches. The Wesleyan parsonage will also be used.” [Advertiser 14 Apr 1899]
HAMMOND ST ANDREW’S ANGLICAN CHURCH
Opened 19 Apr 1889, closed 1954.
“Hammond. . . The Rev. Mr. Hogben, Church of England minister, gave an evening service and preached, by permission, in the Wesleyan Chapel at Hammond on Wednesday last. There was only a small attendance, as there was but very little notice given of the rev. gentleman's coming.” [Weekly Chronicle 7 Jun 1884]
“Hammond. . . A very successful entertainment was given here by lady and gentlemen amateurs for the benefit of the Church of England building recently erected near this township.” [Weekly Chronicle 28 Dec 1888]
“On Friday, April 19th, the new Anglican church of St. Andrews, Hammond, was formerly opened by the Rev. W. S. Hopcraft, of Petersburg, who preached to a crowded congregation. The church had been very tastefully decorated for the occasion. It is a square stone building with gothic windows, etc., seating about one hundred persons.” [Christian Colonist 3 May 1889]
Peaks Island in Casco Bay, Portland, Maine USA • This shed door was drilled four times for a saw, the cuts were made – and then they decided "that's far enough". Three butterfly clips later, it's done.
The Phoenix Theater in Petaluma California. I was told that the graffiti here in back of the theater only lasts about 24 hours before it is covered over by more graffiti. This graffiti is not just allowed it is encouraged. Painting the bare brick is discouraged.
The Daniel Goodenough House in Ludington, Michigan was built in 1888. It was a B&B, but apparently it has been closed since 2005.
I was looking for the history of this house online and found it's real estate listing. This house can be yours for a mere half-million dollars!
On the reverse:
Great Uncle & Aunt
Jasper & Margaret Smith
Photographer:
Otis Goodenough
Farmington, IA.
The Leading Photographer
When Ward Goodenough was in Chuuk in 1965 he commissioned local craftsmen to make a full sized canoe for him, as well as paddles and this example of a traditional barbed wood weapon.