View allAll Photos Tagged 721
Foto histórica del departamento de Rivera, Uruguay. Autor desconocido. Foto probablemente en dominio público.
721 St. Ferdinand Holy Trinity Church was built in 1853 for German Catholics after designs by architect T. E. Giraud. The church was renovated in 1873 with the additions of ceiling and wall frescoes. The church is in the Romanesque style with a pair of onion shaped domes. The influx of Germans immigrants to this area caused it to be dubbed"Little Saxony" in the mid 19th century. In 1997,the archdiocese under Archbishop Francis Schulte closed the church and removed all the buildings' furnishings, statues, ornate side altar, Gothic main altar, organ , millwork,pews, holy water fonts and magnificent stained glass windows. In 1999 it was sold for $140,00 to Morgan Higby,owner of the former Shim Sham Club .He has since moved to Los Angeles while the church continues to deteriorate. Ironically, the historic plaque declaring the building an architectural landmark remains.