Rendcomb - St Peter's Church
St Peter's is a rebuilt Tudor church that was dedicated in 1517, the year of Luther's Articles. It must rank among England's last medieval churches before the Reformation. Its patron was Sir Edmund Tame, whose father built St Mary's, Fairford.
The exterior is conventional Perpendicular, with heavy battlements and tower pinnacles, and the churchyard contains a display of chest tombs.
Inside, the 12th century font of the Herefordshire School has twelve apostles - or rather eleven with one left blank for Judas. Another, later, font stands by the pulpit.
Rendcomb comprises a nave with south aisle, divided by an arcade with concave-sided octagonal piers, similar to Northleach and Chipping Campden. Buried in the north wall are the remains of an Early Gothic arcade to a lost north aisle, three piers revealed in the plasterwork.
There is no division between nave and chancel, but the chancel roof is distinct, of Victorian sycamore. The rood screen was also a Victorian concoction, using parts of an old screen and with a frieze of cast iron. This structure straddles the chancel and south chapel. The latter has an iron altar rail with the chained swan emblem of the Guise family, who succeeded the Tames as lords of the manor.
Of interest are the corbels, those in the south aisle carved with angels playing instruments and holding heraldic shields.
The east window glass is unremarkable but some 16th century glass survives in the north windows. It has early Renaissance forms which imply a different designer from Fairford, and a later date of c.1520.
Rendcomb - St Peter's Church
St Peter's is a rebuilt Tudor church that was dedicated in 1517, the year of Luther's Articles. It must rank among England's last medieval churches before the Reformation. Its patron was Sir Edmund Tame, whose father built St Mary's, Fairford.
The exterior is conventional Perpendicular, with heavy battlements and tower pinnacles, and the churchyard contains a display of chest tombs.
Inside, the 12th century font of the Herefordshire School has twelve apostles - or rather eleven with one left blank for Judas. Another, later, font stands by the pulpit.
Rendcomb comprises a nave with south aisle, divided by an arcade with concave-sided octagonal piers, similar to Northleach and Chipping Campden. Buried in the north wall are the remains of an Early Gothic arcade to a lost north aisle, three piers revealed in the plasterwork.
There is no division between nave and chancel, but the chancel roof is distinct, of Victorian sycamore. The rood screen was also a Victorian concoction, using parts of an old screen and with a frieze of cast iron. This structure straddles the chancel and south chapel. The latter has an iron altar rail with the chained swan emblem of the Guise family, who succeeded the Tames as lords of the manor.
Of interest are the corbels, those in the south aisle carved with angels playing instruments and holding heraldic shields.
The east window glass is unremarkable but some 16th century glass survives in the north windows. It has early Renaissance forms which imply a different designer from Fairford, and a later date of c.1520.