Back to photostream

Bromyard - St Peter's Church

St Peter's south door seen through the trees.

 

There is evidence of a church building dating from 840 AD, the earliest remains being St Peter holding the keys to Heaven over the south door.

The current building dates from the 12th century.

Church records began in 1538 and are the earliest in the county.

The churchyard was closed in 1915.

Both the south and north doors are Norman, as is the font, thought to be part of the original church.

Along the west wall was once a musicians' gallery on which the organ was installed. It was removed and, in its place, is the so-called 'musicians' window' dedicated to St Cecilia, the patron saint of music.

The north aisle was added in the 13th century. Here lies the 'Avenbury Knight', a 13th century effigy from the now ruined St Mary's Church, Avenbury (one of the oldest churches in England, closed in 1931). Also in the north aisle can be found the 'Bromyard Bushel'. Made in 1670 from cast iron, this was the standard measure for grain.

Near the knight and bushel is a copy of Professor Edward Hull's description of the world's history - measuring 7 metres long! It depicts history from Adam and Eve to Queen Victoria and was published in the 1890s.

The oldest window in the church dates from around 1300. The glass itself is late 19th century and is dedicated to Rev. William Cooke.

The original chancel was extended in the 14th century. To the left is the pulpit, made in 1883 from wood of a much earlier design.

The organ dates from 1839. It was moved from its original position to the chancel in 1875. Modifications were made in 1978 and it was restored in 2013.

The south aisle chapel - not the Lady Chapel! - contains Bromyard's official war memorial. The chapel was dedicated in 1919, just months after the end of World War I.

There are a number of recesses around the walls of the church which once contained the tombs of wealthy or important people, dating to the 14th century.

 

 

 

 

652 views
0 faves
1 comment
Uploaded on February 3, 2016
Taken on February 2, 2016