St Peter, Sandwich, Kent
As stated in yesterday's post, on Saturday we had a guest staying over.
Before then, there was coffee, hunting and gathering at Tesco in Whitfield, then some last minute tidying up of the house, so it wouldn't look too shabby when Jill arrived.
Jill was the wife of a guy I served with in the RAF, he passed away few years back, and we met back up with Jill and her daughter at the funeral. And we have been in contact since.
After some hard times, she is now very much on the up, so a weekend at Chez Jelltex was arranged, with Jill due to arrive at about ten.
Sadly, the weather had other ideas and was going to me mild, grey and drizzly, so until it cleared somewhat, there were endless brews and chats about what has happened in the six years since the funeral.
By about eleven, the drizzle had cleared, and so next came the decision as to where to go. Sandwich won out as it would be less busy than Canterbury, but more to see than in Deal.
So, off we went.
A quick blast up the Sandwich Road, into the town and parked behind the Guildhall. First shock was that the stinky cheese shop, No Name Shop, is currently closed because of some fault with the shop. So that saved us at least thirty quid.
We walk on to St Peter's, to window shop in the indoor market. Lots of stuff to see in the old church, even some details, but we bought nothing, and walked on.
Along the alleyways to The Strand along to look at The Barbican, the old tollhouse next to the bridge into town. A walk along to snap The Fisher Gate, before doubling back to The Crispin for lunch.
A few weeks back, I was watching a TV cooking or food show, and the American host was touring UK and called into Sandwich to eat a sandwich in Sandwich. He ate at the Crispin where they serve the Earl of Sandwich sandwich: pulled brisket, mac and cheese, pickles, salad and fries.
Which I ordered. Jools and Jill had the vegetable tart, and to finish it off, I ordered a pint of Harvey's Best.
The pub is an ancient coaching in, all crooked timers, open fires and character you just can't fake.
The food came, and although the sandwich was too big to bite, was pretty good and the flavours did go well together.
Back outside and along The Strand to St Mary's, where there was an art show on. One picture took my fancy, but we didn't buy. The old church is looking good, I have to say.
So, at two, back tot he car and back to St Maggies via Deal where there were n parking spaces, so we drive on and go down to the Bay, where there are spaces, and the slate black sky was reflected in the near waveless Cannel waters lapping at the beach.
I listen to some football as Jools and Jill go for a walk, then back home for brews, and me to prepared dinner.
I had defrosted the hunk of côte de boeuf, oiled and seasoned it. So, oiled the potatoes, but then spuds in red hot duck fat, then sear the meat and cook for 35 minutes before boiling the vegetables.
Just after seven we sit down to eat, and mighty fine it was too. And not too much for once, which was more accident than by design.
We tidy up, make coffee and talk to half nine, but weary eyes, made worse by some Vin Santos meant we went to bed at half past, all ready to use the extra hour in bed the end of BST gifted us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Easily identified from afar by its unusual cupola built in the seventeenth century to complete the reconstruction of the tower following its total collapse. The base of the tower still displays some medieval stonework, whereas the top is seventeenth-century brick. The interior is tall and light with a heavily timbered crownpost roof. Among many items of interest the church contains three fine canopied wall monuments. One of them shows a husband and wife of mid-fourteenth-century date. Their heads are turned a little to the south to face the altar and they have a particularly animated lion at their feet. The church is now maintained by The Churches Conservation Trust who allow the nave to be used for a variety of alternative uses. The Trust also has charge of St Mary's church a little further down the road and visitors are welcomed at both.
www.kentchurches.info/church.asp?p=Sandwich+3
-------------------------------------------
THE town of Sandwich is situated on the north-east confines of this county, about two miles from the sea, and adjoining to the harbour of its own name, through which the river Stour flows northward into the sea at Pepperness. It is one of the principal cinque ports, the liberty of which extends over it, and it is within the jurisdiction of the justices of its own corporation.
Sandwich had in antient time several members appertaining to it, (fn. 1) called the antient members of the port of Sandwich; these were Fordwich, Reculver, Sarre, Stonar, and Deal; but in the later charters, the members mentioned are Fordwich incorporated, and the non-corporated members of Deal, Walmer, Ramsgate, Stonar, Sarre, all in this county, and Brightlingsea, in Sussex; but of late years, Deal, Walmer, and Stonar, have been taken from it; Deal, by having been in 1699 incorporated with the charter of a separate jurisdiction, in the bounds of which Walmer is included; and Stonar having been, by a late decision of the court of king's bench in 1773, adjudged to be within the jurisdiction of the county at large.
The first origin of this port was owing to the decay of that of Richborough, as will be further noticed hereafter. It was at first called Lundenwic, from its being the entrance to the port of London, for so it was, on the sea coast, and it retained this name until the supplanting of the Saxons by the Danes, when it acquired from its sandy situation a new name, being from thenceforward called Sandwic, in old Latin, Sabulovicum, that is, the sandy town, and in process of time, by the change of language, Sandwich.
Where this town now stands, is supposed, in the time of the Romans, and before the decay of the haven, or Portus Rutupinus, to have been covered with that water, which formed the bay of it, which was so large that it is said to have extended far beyond this place, on the one side almost to Ramsgate cliffs, and on the other near five miles in width, over the whole of that flat of land, on which Stonar and Sandwich too, were afterwards built, and extending from thence up to the æstuary, which then flowed up between the Isle of Thanet and the main land of this county.
During the time of the Saxons, the haven and port of Richborough, the most frequented of any in this part of Britain, began to decay, and swarve up, the sea by degrees entirely deserting it at this place, but still leaving sufficient to form a large and commodious one at Sandwich, which in process of time, became in like manner, the usual resort for shipping, and arose a Flourishing harbour in its stead; from which time the Saxon fleets, as well as those of the Danes, are said by the historians of those times, to sail for the port of Sandwich; and there to lie at different times, and no further mention is made of that of Richborough, which being thus destroyed, Sandwich became the port of general resort; which, as well as the building of this town, seems to have taken place, however, some while after the establishment of the Saxons in Britain, and the first time that is found of the name of Sandwich being mentioned and occurring as a port, is in the life of St. Wilfred, archbishop of York, written by Eddius Stephanus; in which it is said, he and his company, prosper in portum Sandwich, atque suaviter pervenerunt, happily and pleasantly arrived in the harbour of Sandwich, which happened about the year 665, or 666, some what more than 200 years after the arrival of the Saxons in Britain. During the time of the Danes insesting this kingdom, several of their principal transactions happened at this place, (fn. 2) and the port of it became so much frequented, that the author of queen Emma's life stiles it the most noted of all the English ports; Sandwich qui est omnium Anglorum portuum famosissimus.
FROM THE TIME of the origin of the town of Sandwich, the property of it was vested in the several kings who reigned over this country, and continued so till king Ethelred, in the year 979, gave it, as the lands of his inheritance, to Christ-church, in Canterbury, free from all secular service and fiscal tribute, except the repelling invasions, and the repairing of bridges and castles. (fn. 3) After which king Canute, having obtained the kingdom, finished the building of this town, and having all parts and places in the realm at his disposal, as coming to the possession of it by conquest, by his charter in the year 1023, gave, or rather restored the port of Sandwich, with the profits of the water of it, on both sides of the stream, for the support of that church, and the sustenance of the monks there.
Soon after this, the town of Sandwich increased greatly in size and inhabitants, and on account of the commodity and use of its haven, and the service done by the shipping belonging to it, was of such estimation, that it was made one of the principal cinque ports; and in king Edward the Confessor's days it contained three hundred and seven houses, and was an hundred within itself; and it continued increasing, as appears by the description of it, in the survey of Domesday, taken in the 15th year of the Conqueror's reign, anno 1080, in which it is thus entered, under the title of the lands of the archbishop:
Sandwice lies in its own proper hundred. This borough the archbishop holds, and it is of the clothing of the monks, and yields the like service to the king as Dover; and this the men of that borough testify, that before king Edward gave the same to the Holy Trinity, it paid to the king fisteen pounds. At the time of King Edward's death it was not put to ferme. When the archbishop received it, it paid forty pounds of ferme, and forty thousand herrings to the food of the monks. In the year in which this description was made, Sanuuic paid fifty pounds of ferme, & Herrings as above. In the time of king Edward the Confessor there were there three hundred and seven mansions tenanted, now there are seventy six more, that is together three hundred and eighty three.
And under the title of the bishop of Baieux's lands, as follows, under the description of the manor of Gollesberge:
In Estrei hundred, in Sandunic, the archbishop has thirty two houses, with plats of land belonging to this manor,(viz. Gollesberge) and they pay forty-two shil lings and eight pence, and Adeluuold has one yoke, which is worth ten shillings.
These houses, with all the liberties which the bishop of Baieux had in Sandwich, had been given by him to Christ-church, in Canterbury, and confirmed to it in the year 1075, by his brother the Conqueror. (fn. 4)
Afterwards king Henry II. granted to the monks the full enjoyment of all those liberties and customs in Sandwich, which they had in the time of king Henry his grandfather, that is, the port and toll, and all maritime customs in this port, on both sides of the water, that is, from Eadburgate unto Merksflete, and the small boat to ferry across it, and that no one should have any right there except them and their servants.
The town, by these continued privileges, and the advantages it derived from the great resort to the port, increased much in wealth and number of inhabitants; and notwithstanding, in the year 1217, anno 2 king Henry III. great part of the town was burnt by the French, yet the damage seems soon to have been recompenced by the savors bestowed on it by the several kings, in consideration of the services it had continually afforded, in the shipping of this port, to the nation. The first example of royal favor, being shewn by the last-mentioned king, was in his 11th year, who not only confirmed the customs before granted, but added the further grant of a market to this town and port, (fn. 5) and in his 13th year granted the custom of taking twopence for each cask of wine received into it.
After which, the prior and convent of Christ-church, in the 18th year of King Edward I. gave up in exchange for other lands elsewhere, to his queen Eleanor, all their rights, possessions, and privileges here, excepting their houses and keys, and a free passage in the
haven, in the small boat, called the vere boat, (fn. 6) and free liberty for themselves and their tenants to buy and sell toll free, which the king confirmed that year; and as a favor to the town, he placed the staple for wool in it for some time.
The exception above-mentioned, was afterwards found to be so very prejudicial, as well as inconvenient, that king Edward III. in his 38th year, gave them other lands in Essex, in exchange for all their rights, privileges, and possessions, in this town and port. After which king Richard II. in his first year, removed the staple for wool from Queenborough, where it had been for some time, hither.
During the whole of this period from the time of the conquest, this port continued the general rendezvous of the royal sleets, and was as constantly visted by the several monarchs, who frequently embarked and returned again hither from France; the consequence of which was, that the town became so flourishing, that it had increased to between eight and nine hundred houses inhabited, divided into three parishes; and there were of good and able mariners, belonging to the navy of it, above the number of 1500; so that when there was occasion at any time, the mayors of it, on the receipt of the king's letters, furnished, at the town's charges, to the seas, fifteen sail of armed ships of war, which were of such continued annoyance to the French, that they in return made it a constant object of their revenge. Accordingly, in the 16th year of king Henry VI. they landed here and plundered the greatest part of the inhabitants, as they did again in the 35th year of it; but but this not answering the whole of their purpose, Charles VIII. king of France, to destroy it entirely, sent hither four thousand men, who landing in the night, after a long and bloody conflict gained possession of the town, and having wasted it with fire and sword, slew the greatest part of the inhabitants; and to add to these misfortunes it was again ransacked by the earl of Warwick, in the same reign.
To preserve the town from such disasters in future, king Edward IV. new walled, ditched, and fortifield it with bulwarks, and gave besides, for the support of them, one hundred pounds yearly out of the customhouse here; which, together with the industry and efforts of the merchants, who frequented this haven, the goodness of which, in any storm or contrary wind, when they were in danger from the breakers, or the Goodwin Sands, afforded them a safe retreat; in a very short time restored it again to a flourishing state, infomuch, that before the end of that reign, the clear yearly receipt of the customs here to that king, amounted to above the sum of 16 or 17,000l. (fn. 7) and the town had ninety five ships belonging to it, and above fifteen hundred sailors.
But this sunshine of prosperity lasted no long time afterwards, for in king Henry VII.'s time, the river Stour, or as it was at this place antiently called, the Wantsume, continued to decay so fast, as to leave on each side at low water, a considerable quantity of salts, which induced cardinal archbishop Moreton, who had most part of the adjoining lands belonging to his bishopric, for his own private advantage, to inclose and wall them in, near and about Sarre; which example was followed from time to time, by several owners of the lands adjoining, by which means the water was deprived of its usual course, and the haven felt the loss of it by a hasty decay. Notwithstanding which, so late as the first year of king Richard III. ships failed up this haven as high as Richborough, for that year, as ap pears by the corporation books of Sandwich, the mayor ordered a Spanish ship, lying on the outside of Richborough, to be removed. (fn. 8)
"Leland, who wrote in the reign of Henry VIII. gives the following description of Sandwich, as it was in his time. "Sandwich, on the farther side of the ryver of Sture, is neatly welle walled, where the town stonddeth most in jeopardy of enemies. The residew of the town is diched and mudde waulled. There be yn the town iiii principal gates, iii paroche chyrches, of the which sum suppose that St. Maries was sumtyme a nunnery. Ther is a place of White Freres, and an hospistal withowt the town, fyrst ordened for maryners desesid and hurt. There is a place where monkes of Christ-church did resort, when they were lords of the towne. The caryke that was sonke in the haven, in pope Paulus tyme, did much hurt to the haven and gether a great bank. The grounde self from Sandwich to the heaven, and inward to the land, is caullid Sanded bay".
The sinking of this great ship of pope Paul IV. in the very mouth of the haven, by which the waters had not their free course as before, from the sand and mud gathering round about it, together with the innings of the lands on each side the stream, had such a fatal effect towards the decay of the haven, that in the time of king Edward VI. it was in a manner destroyed and lost, and the navy and mariners dwindled to almost nothing, and the houses then inhabited in this town did not exceed two hundred, the inhabitants of which were greatly impoverished; the yearly customs of the town, by reason of the insufficiency of the haven, were so desicient, that there was scarcely enough arising from it to satisfy the customer his fee. This occasioned two several commissions to be granted, one in the 2d year of that reign, and another in the 2d year of queen Eli zabeth, to examine the state of the haven, and make a return of it; in consequence of the first of which, a new cut was begun by one John Rogers, which, however, was soon left in an untinished state, though there are evident traces of what was done towards making this canal still remaining, on the grounds between the town and Sandowne castle; and in consequence of the second, other representations and reports were made, one of which was, that the intended cut would be useless, and of no good effect.
Whether these different reports where the occasion that no further progress was made towards this work, and the restoration of this haven, or the very great expence it was estimated at, and the great difficulty of raising so large a sum, being 10,000l which the queen at that time could no ways spare, but so it was, that nothing further was done in it.
¶The haven being thus abandoned by the queen, and becoming almost useless, excepting to vessels of the small burthen before mentioned, the town itself would before long have become impoverished and fallen wholly to decay, had it not been most singularly preserved, and raised again, in some measure, to great wealth and prosperity, occasioned by the persecution for religion in Brabant and Flanders, which communicated to all the Protestant parts of Europe, the paper, silk, woollen, and other valuable manufactures of Flanders and France, almost peculiar at that time to those countries, and till then, in vain attempted elsewhere; the manufacturers of them came in bodies up to London, and afterwards chose their situations, with great judgment, distributing themselves, with the queen's licence, through England, so as not to interfere too much with one another. The workers in sayes, baize, and flannel in particular, fixed themselves here, at Sandwich, at the mouth of a haven, by which they might have an easy communication with the metropolis, and other parts of this kingdom, and afforded them like wife an easy export to the continent. These manufacturers applied accordingly to the queen, for her protection and licence; for which purpose, in the third year of her reign, she caused letters patent to be passed, directed to the mayor, &c. to give liberty to such of them, as should be approved of by the archbishop, and bishop of London, to inhabit here for the purpose of exercising those manufactures, which had not been used before in England, or for shishing in the seas, not exceeding the number of twenty-five house holders, accounting to every household not above twelve persons, and there to exercise their trade, and have as many servants as were necessary for carrying them on, not exceeding the number above mentioned; these immediately repaired to Sandwich, to the number, men, women, and children, of four hundred and six persons; of which, eight only were masters in the trade. A body of gardeners likewife discovered the nature of the soil about Sandwich to be exceedingly favourable to the growth of all esculent plants, and fixed themselves here, to the great advantage of this town, by the increase of inhabitants, the employment of the poor, and the money which circulated; the landholders like wife had the great advantage of their rents being considerably increased, and the money paid by the town and neighbourhood for vegetables, instead of being sent from hence for the purchase of them, remained within the bounds of it. The vegetables grew here in great perfection, but much of them was conveyed at an easy expence, by water carriage, to London, and from thence dispersed over different parts of the kingdom.
These strangers, by their industry and prudent conduct, notwithstanding the obstructions they met with, from the jealousy of the native tradesmen, and the avarice of the corporation, very soon rose to a flourishing condition.
ST. PETER'S CHURCH stands nearly in the centre of the town; it consisted formerly of three isles, and in that state was next in size to St. Clement's which was the largest church in Sandwich. In 1641 it was certified to the lord keeper by the mayor, &c. that the steeple of St. Peter's church was in a very ruinous condition; that it was a principal sea mark, and that it was beyond the parishioners abilities to rebuild it; the estimate of the expence being 1500l. The steeple fell down on Sunday, Oct. 13, 1661, and demolished the south isle, which has never been rebuilt. There had been two sermons preached in it that day; it fell down about a quarter after eleven at night; had it fallen in the day time, the greatest part of the town and parish would probably have been killed and buried under the rubbish, but no one was hurt and few heard of it. The rubbish was three fathom deep in the middle of the church and the bells underneath it. This church, as well as the other two, seems to have been formerly constructed entirely, or at least cased externally, with the stone of Normandy, well squared, and neatly put together. The east end of the chancel is a good specimen of the old work, and there are detached portions of the same fort of masonry in other parts of the building.
The present structure, which is evidently the work of different times, is composed of fragments of the older fabric, mixed with Kentish rag and sand stone, and slints from the shore. The south isle is said to have been built by Sir John Grove, about the year 1447, and Sir Simon de Sandwich, warden of the cinque ports in Edward II.'s reign, both having given liberally towards the new building of the steeple. The present steeple is a square tower, built with the old materials to the height of the roof of the church, and from thence to the battlements with bricks of the haven mud. There are eight small, but musical bells, cast in 1779; they cost 430l. 12s. 6d. which expence was in great measure defrayed by the metal of the former six old bells; and a clock, which is the property of the corporation, who keep it in repair.
In this church there are the following monuments and inscriptions, among others too numerous to mention.—In the south isle, now in ruins, are the remains of a handsome tomb under an arch in the wall, in which was interred the body of Sir John Grove, who flourished in king Henry VI.'s reign, on which were his arms, now obliterated, viz.Three leaves in bend, on a canton, three crescents. There has been another arched monument in this wall, but all the ornamental parts are gone. In the north isle are several gravestones, with memorials for the Jenkinsons, for Jeffreys, and for the Olivers. On a large stone, coffin shaped, is a cross resting on a small dog or lion, and round the verge of the stone some mutilated gothic square characters cut in the stone, for Adam Stannar, priest. Part of another stone, with similar characters on it, lies in the same space a little to the westward. On a brass plate in black letter is an inscription for Thomas Gilbert, gent. searcher, of Kent, who married Katharine, daughter of Robert Fylmer, of East Sutton, in Kent, and had six sons and three daughters; arms, Gilbert, Gules, a saltier, or, on a chief, ermine, three piles, gules. He died in 1597. In this chancel a gravestone for Mr. Henry Furnese, obt. 1672; Anne his wife, obt. 1696. (They were the parents of Sir Henry Furnese, bart.) Mr. John Blanch, merchant, obt. 1718; Elizabeth his wife, daughter of the above Henry and Anne Furnese, obt. 1737. A memorial for Mary, first wife of Mr. John Solly, mercer, eldest sister of Sir Henry Furnese, bart, obt. 1685; and Mr. John Solly, obt. 1747. Within the altar rails are memorials for many of the family of Verrier of this town. On a marble monument against the north wall, an inscription for the Olivers. Opposite the above, a mural monument with an inscription for Henry Wife, esq. obt. 1769; Elizabeth his daughter, wife of Mr. Wm. Boys, obt. 1761; Mary his wife, obt. 1772; arms, Wife, sable, three chevronels, ermine. An oval tablet of marble for Elizabeth, wife of John Rolse, jun. gent. of New Romney, obt. 1780. A marble mural monument against the south wall, near the door of the nave, for the Jekens and Youngs. A marble tablet underneath for Susannah Wyborn, formerly wife of the above named Mr. Thomas Young, but late of Mr. William Wyborn, brewer, of this town, obt. 1755. On a marble tablet against the north wall of the nave, an inscription for the Jekens. The gallery at the west end of the north isle was built by subscription, and is secured to the subscribers by a faculty. There are stones in the church pointing out the licenced vaults of Brown; the Jeken family; Solly; and Ferrier; the Thurbarne family, a hatchment over it has three coats of arms, viz. Thurbarne, sable, a griffin passant, argent, with impalements. In the south east angle of the north isle is a vault, now belonging to the heirs of Mr. Solomon Ferrier, but built originally for the family of Mennes, whose atchievment, helm, and crest are suspended over the place. The arms are, Gules, a chevron, vaire, or, and azure, between three leopards faces of the second. In an escutcheon of pretence, quarterly, first and fourth, the royal arms of Scotland, debruised with a batton, sable; second and third, a ship with sails furled, within a double tressure, story, counterflory. In the wall of the north isle are three arches, under the eastermost, between the second and third windows, on an altar tomb are the mutilated figures of a man and woman lying at length in the dresses of the time, their heads supported by double pillows, a lion at his feet, a dog at hers; in the front of the tomb are narrow gothic arches. The tomb projects into the church-yard; the second arch is behind the pulpit; the tomb was exposed to view in digging a vault in 1770; its front is divided into six compart ments, in each of the four middle ones is a shield, the first of which has three wheat fans, a crescent in the centre; the second a fess fusilly, between three griffins beads; the third has three lions rampant, and the fourth is void; over this monument in stones in the wall, are two coats of arms, that on the right hand being fretty, a chief; and the other the ports arms, three demi lious, impaling three demi ships. Under the westermost arch, which does not penetrate through the wall, is an handsome altar tomb of Caen stone, in the front of which are six small shields; there were arms in all of them, but the bearing and colours are nearly effaced.
Dr. Harris says, in the north isle were buried Tho Ellis, esq. of Sandwich, and Margaret his wife; Sir Simon Sandwich, warden of the cinque ports temp. Edward II. who was a great benefactor to the building of the steeple of this church. The Sandwich MS. quoted by Mr. Boys, says, that the former of these lies buried here, under a most antient monument, and that John Ive, esq. a worshipful merchant likewise, and Maud his wife, lie buried under an arched sepulchre in the wall; and that here likewife were buried divers of the worshipful men of the Sandwich's knights. Through the wall that divides the chancel from the north isle has been an arched door, now closed up; and another in the opposite wall, from an inclosed chapel at the upper end of the south isle, between which and the small house appointed for the chaplains of Ellis's chantry, was a door of communication, which, as well as the arch, is still visible; but they are now shut up with masonry. This probably was the chapel, where these chantry priests performed divine offices.
There are inscriptions on boards of the benefactions to the parish by Sir Henry Furnese and Mr. Jarvis. The figure of Sir John Grove has lately been removed by Mr. Boys from the fallen isle, where it must soon have been destroyed, into the church beside the font, at which time his remains were searched for; an arched grave was found under the monument containing a coffin with the date 1664, so that probably the remains of Sir John Grove were removed from hence at the time that the isle was brought into its present ruinous state. The outward parts of the figure having been much injured by the weather and the trampling of boys, its position has been reversed, and the other parts brought to view, where the sculpture is remarkably sharp and elegant.
In 1564 it was ordered by the mayor, jurats, &c. that the church of St. Peter should be appropriated to the use of the Flemmings, on account of the plague; that they might be all at one place.
The church yard, which was much too small, has been considerably enlarged in 1776, and was consecrated by archbishop Moore, at his primary visitation on July 9, 1786
¶The church of St. Peter is a rectory, and was antiently of the alternate patronage of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, and of the mayor, jurats, and commonalty; but this was not without continual dispute made by the former, of the latter's right to it. At length this controversy was finally settled in the year 1227, anno 11th Henry III. when they mutually acknowledged each others right in future to the alternate presentation to it. After which, the abbot and convent continued in the possession of their interest in the patronage of this church, till the dissolution of their monastery in the 30th year of king Henry VIII. when it came into the hands of the crown, where their alternate turn of presentation to this rectory has ever since continued, the king being at this time entitled to it. The other alternate right of presentation has continued in the mayor, jurats, and commonalty, to the present time.
It is valued in the king's books at eight pounds. In 1640 here were communicants 825, and it was valued at eighty pounds. It is now a discharged living, of about the clear yearly value of fifty pounds. It pays five shilling to the archdeacon for procurations, and 3s. 4d. to the archbishop at his ordinary visitations.
The revenues of this rectory arise from dues, collected in like manner as in the other parishes in this town, from the house in this parish, and from the tithe of land belonging to St. Bartholomew's hospital, called Cowleez, containing about ten acres.
In 1776, there were in this parish 228 houses, and 958 inhabitants.
The oldest register begins in 1538, and ends in 1615; the one in use begins from that period.
St Peter, Sandwich, Kent
As stated in yesterday's post, on Saturday we had a guest staying over.
Before then, there was coffee, hunting and gathering at Tesco in Whitfield, then some last minute tidying up of the house, so it wouldn't look too shabby when Jill arrived.
Jill was the wife of a guy I served with in the RAF, he passed away few years back, and we met back up with Jill and her daughter at the funeral. And we have been in contact since.
After some hard times, she is now very much on the up, so a weekend at Chez Jelltex was arranged, with Jill due to arrive at about ten.
Sadly, the weather had other ideas and was going to me mild, grey and drizzly, so until it cleared somewhat, there were endless brews and chats about what has happened in the six years since the funeral.
By about eleven, the drizzle had cleared, and so next came the decision as to where to go. Sandwich won out as it would be less busy than Canterbury, but more to see than in Deal.
So, off we went.
A quick blast up the Sandwich Road, into the town and parked behind the Guildhall. First shock was that the stinky cheese shop, No Name Shop, is currently closed because of some fault with the shop. So that saved us at least thirty quid.
We walk on to St Peter's, to window shop in the indoor market. Lots of stuff to see in the old church, even some details, but we bought nothing, and walked on.
Along the alleyways to The Strand along to look at The Barbican, the old tollhouse next to the bridge into town. A walk along to snap The Fisher Gate, before doubling back to The Crispin for lunch.
A few weeks back, I was watching a TV cooking or food show, and the American host was touring UK and called into Sandwich to eat a sandwich in Sandwich. He ate at the Crispin where they serve the Earl of Sandwich sandwich: pulled brisket, mac and cheese, pickles, salad and fries.
Which I ordered. Jools and Jill had the vegetable tart, and to finish it off, I ordered a pint of Harvey's Best.
The pub is an ancient coaching in, all crooked timers, open fires and character you just can't fake.
The food came, and although the sandwich was too big to bite, was pretty good and the flavours did go well together.
Back outside and along The Strand to St Mary's, where there was an art show on. One picture took my fancy, but we didn't buy. The old church is looking good, I have to say.
So, at two, back tot he car and back to St Maggies via Deal where there were n parking spaces, so we drive on and go down to the Bay, where there are spaces, and the slate black sky was reflected in the near waveless Cannel waters lapping at the beach.
I listen to some football as Jools and Jill go for a walk, then back home for brews, and me to prepared dinner.
I had defrosted the hunk of côte de boeuf, oiled and seasoned it. So, oiled the potatoes, but then spuds in red hot duck fat, then sear the meat and cook for 35 minutes before boiling the vegetables.
Just after seven we sit down to eat, and mighty fine it was too. And not too much for once, which was more accident than by design.
We tidy up, make coffee and talk to half nine, but weary eyes, made worse by some Vin Santos meant we went to bed at half past, all ready to use the extra hour in bed the end of BST gifted us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Easily identified from afar by its unusual cupola built in the seventeenth century to complete the reconstruction of the tower following its total collapse. The base of the tower still displays some medieval stonework, whereas the top is seventeenth-century brick. The interior is tall and light with a heavily timbered crownpost roof. Among many items of interest the church contains three fine canopied wall monuments. One of them shows a husband and wife of mid-fourteenth-century date. Their heads are turned a little to the south to face the altar and they have a particularly animated lion at their feet. The church is now maintained by The Churches Conservation Trust who allow the nave to be used for a variety of alternative uses. The Trust also has charge of St Mary's church a little further down the road and visitors are welcomed at both.
www.kentchurches.info/church.asp?p=Sandwich+3
-------------------------------------------
THE town of Sandwich is situated on the north-east confines of this county, about two miles from the sea, and adjoining to the harbour of its own name, through which the river Stour flows northward into the sea at Pepperness. It is one of the principal cinque ports, the liberty of which extends over it, and it is within the jurisdiction of the justices of its own corporation.
Sandwich had in antient time several members appertaining to it, (fn. 1) called the antient members of the port of Sandwich; these were Fordwich, Reculver, Sarre, Stonar, and Deal; but in the later charters, the members mentioned are Fordwich incorporated, and the non-corporated members of Deal, Walmer, Ramsgate, Stonar, Sarre, all in this county, and Brightlingsea, in Sussex; but of late years, Deal, Walmer, and Stonar, have been taken from it; Deal, by having been in 1699 incorporated with the charter of a separate jurisdiction, in the bounds of which Walmer is included; and Stonar having been, by a late decision of the court of king's bench in 1773, adjudged to be within the jurisdiction of the county at large.
The first origin of this port was owing to the decay of that of Richborough, as will be further noticed hereafter. It was at first called Lundenwic, from its being the entrance to the port of London, for so it was, on the sea coast, and it retained this name until the supplanting of the Saxons by the Danes, when it acquired from its sandy situation a new name, being from thenceforward called Sandwic, in old Latin, Sabulovicum, that is, the sandy town, and in process of time, by the change of language, Sandwich.
Where this town now stands, is supposed, in the time of the Romans, and before the decay of the haven, or Portus Rutupinus, to have been covered with that water, which formed the bay of it, which was so large that it is said to have extended far beyond this place, on the one side almost to Ramsgate cliffs, and on the other near five miles in width, over the whole of that flat of land, on which Stonar and Sandwich too, were afterwards built, and extending from thence up to the æstuary, which then flowed up between the Isle of Thanet and the main land of this county.
During the time of the Saxons, the haven and port of Richborough, the most frequented of any in this part of Britain, began to decay, and swarve up, the sea by degrees entirely deserting it at this place, but still leaving sufficient to form a large and commodious one at Sandwich, which in process of time, became in like manner, the usual resort for shipping, and arose a Flourishing harbour in its stead; from which time the Saxon fleets, as well as those of the Danes, are said by the historians of those times, to sail for the port of Sandwich; and there to lie at different times, and no further mention is made of that of Richborough, which being thus destroyed, Sandwich became the port of general resort; which, as well as the building of this town, seems to have taken place, however, some while after the establishment of the Saxons in Britain, and the first time that is found of the name of Sandwich being mentioned and occurring as a port, is in the life of St. Wilfred, archbishop of York, written by Eddius Stephanus; in which it is said, he and his company, prosper in portum Sandwich, atque suaviter pervenerunt, happily and pleasantly arrived in the harbour of Sandwich, which happened about the year 665, or 666, some what more than 200 years after the arrival of the Saxons in Britain. During the time of the Danes insesting this kingdom, several of their principal transactions happened at this place, (fn. 2) and the port of it became so much frequented, that the author of queen Emma's life stiles it the most noted of all the English ports; Sandwich qui est omnium Anglorum portuum famosissimus.
FROM THE TIME of the origin of the town of Sandwich, the property of it was vested in the several kings who reigned over this country, and continued so till king Ethelred, in the year 979, gave it, as the lands of his inheritance, to Christ-church, in Canterbury, free from all secular service and fiscal tribute, except the repelling invasions, and the repairing of bridges and castles. (fn. 3) After which king Canute, having obtained the kingdom, finished the building of this town, and having all parts and places in the realm at his disposal, as coming to the possession of it by conquest, by his charter in the year 1023, gave, or rather restored the port of Sandwich, with the profits of the water of it, on both sides of the stream, for the support of that church, and the sustenance of the monks there.
Soon after this, the town of Sandwich increased greatly in size and inhabitants, and on account of the commodity and use of its haven, and the service done by the shipping belonging to it, was of such estimation, that it was made one of the principal cinque ports; and in king Edward the Confessor's days it contained three hundred and seven houses, and was an hundred within itself; and it continued increasing, as appears by the description of it, in the survey of Domesday, taken in the 15th year of the Conqueror's reign, anno 1080, in which it is thus entered, under the title of the lands of the archbishop:
Sandwice lies in its own proper hundred. This borough the archbishop holds, and it is of the clothing of the monks, and yields the like service to the king as Dover; and this the men of that borough testify, that before king Edward gave the same to the Holy Trinity, it paid to the king fisteen pounds. At the time of King Edward's death it was not put to ferme. When the archbishop received it, it paid forty pounds of ferme, and forty thousand herrings to the food of the monks. In the year in which this description was made, Sanuuic paid fifty pounds of ferme, & Herrings as above. In the time of king Edward the Confessor there were there three hundred and seven mansions tenanted, now there are seventy six more, that is together three hundred and eighty three.
And under the title of the bishop of Baieux's lands, as follows, under the description of the manor of Gollesberge:
In Estrei hundred, in Sandunic, the archbishop has thirty two houses, with plats of land belonging to this manor,(viz. Gollesberge) and they pay forty-two shil lings and eight pence, and Adeluuold has one yoke, which is worth ten shillings.
These houses, with all the liberties which the bishop of Baieux had in Sandwich, had been given by him to Christ-church, in Canterbury, and confirmed to it in the year 1075, by his brother the Conqueror. (fn. 4)
Afterwards king Henry II. granted to the monks the full enjoyment of all those liberties and customs in Sandwich, which they had in the time of king Henry his grandfather, that is, the port and toll, and all maritime customs in this port, on both sides of the water, that is, from Eadburgate unto Merksflete, and the small boat to ferry across it, and that no one should have any right there except them and their servants.
The town, by these continued privileges, and the advantages it derived from the great resort to the port, increased much in wealth and number of inhabitants; and notwithstanding, in the year 1217, anno 2 king Henry III. great part of the town was burnt by the French, yet the damage seems soon to have been recompenced by the savors bestowed on it by the several kings, in consideration of the services it had continually afforded, in the shipping of this port, to the nation. The first example of royal favor, being shewn by the last-mentioned king, was in his 11th year, who not only confirmed the customs before granted, but added the further grant of a market to this town and port, (fn. 5) and in his 13th year granted the custom of taking twopence for each cask of wine received into it.
After which, the prior and convent of Christ-church, in the 18th year of King Edward I. gave up in exchange for other lands elsewhere, to his queen Eleanor, all their rights, possessions, and privileges here, excepting their houses and keys, and a free passage in the
haven, in the small boat, called the vere boat, (fn. 6) and free liberty for themselves and their tenants to buy and sell toll free, which the king confirmed that year; and as a favor to the town, he placed the staple for wool in it for some time.
The exception above-mentioned, was afterwards found to be so very prejudicial, as well as inconvenient, that king Edward III. in his 38th year, gave them other lands in Essex, in exchange for all their rights, privileges, and possessions, in this town and port. After which king Richard II. in his first year, removed the staple for wool from Queenborough, where it had been for some time, hither.
During the whole of this period from the time of the conquest, this port continued the general rendezvous of the royal sleets, and was as constantly visted by the several monarchs, who frequently embarked and returned again hither from France; the consequence of which was, that the town became so flourishing, that it had increased to between eight and nine hundred houses inhabited, divided into three parishes; and there were of good and able mariners, belonging to the navy of it, above the number of 1500; so that when there was occasion at any time, the mayors of it, on the receipt of the king's letters, furnished, at the town's charges, to the seas, fifteen sail of armed ships of war, which were of such continued annoyance to the French, that they in return made it a constant object of their revenge. Accordingly, in the 16th year of king Henry VI. they landed here and plundered the greatest part of the inhabitants, as they did again in the 35th year of it; but but this not answering the whole of their purpose, Charles VIII. king of France, to destroy it entirely, sent hither four thousand men, who landing in the night, after a long and bloody conflict gained possession of the town, and having wasted it with fire and sword, slew the greatest part of the inhabitants; and to add to these misfortunes it was again ransacked by the earl of Warwick, in the same reign.
To preserve the town from such disasters in future, king Edward IV. new walled, ditched, and fortifield it with bulwarks, and gave besides, for the support of them, one hundred pounds yearly out of the customhouse here; which, together with the industry and efforts of the merchants, who frequented this haven, the goodness of which, in any storm or contrary wind, when they were in danger from the breakers, or the Goodwin Sands, afforded them a safe retreat; in a very short time restored it again to a flourishing state, infomuch, that before the end of that reign, the clear yearly receipt of the customs here to that king, amounted to above the sum of 16 or 17,000l. (fn. 7) and the town had ninety five ships belonging to it, and above fifteen hundred sailors.
But this sunshine of prosperity lasted no long time afterwards, for in king Henry VII.'s time, the river Stour, or as it was at this place antiently called, the Wantsume, continued to decay so fast, as to leave on each side at low water, a considerable quantity of salts, which induced cardinal archbishop Moreton, who had most part of the adjoining lands belonging to his bishopric, for his own private advantage, to inclose and wall them in, near and about Sarre; which example was followed from time to time, by several owners of the lands adjoining, by which means the water was deprived of its usual course, and the haven felt the loss of it by a hasty decay. Notwithstanding which, so late as the first year of king Richard III. ships failed up this haven as high as Richborough, for that year, as ap pears by the corporation books of Sandwich, the mayor ordered a Spanish ship, lying on the outside of Richborough, to be removed. (fn. 8)
"Leland, who wrote in the reign of Henry VIII. gives the following description of Sandwich, as it was in his time. "Sandwich, on the farther side of the ryver of Sture, is neatly welle walled, where the town stonddeth most in jeopardy of enemies. The residew of the town is diched and mudde waulled. There be yn the town iiii principal gates, iii paroche chyrches, of the which sum suppose that St. Maries was sumtyme a nunnery. Ther is a place of White Freres, and an hospistal withowt the town, fyrst ordened for maryners desesid and hurt. There is a place where monkes of Christ-church did resort, when they were lords of the towne. The caryke that was sonke in the haven, in pope Paulus tyme, did much hurt to the haven and gether a great bank. The grounde self from Sandwich to the heaven, and inward to the land, is caullid Sanded bay".
The sinking of this great ship of pope Paul IV. in the very mouth of the haven, by which the waters had not their free course as before, from the sand and mud gathering round about it, together with the innings of the lands on each side the stream, had such a fatal effect towards the decay of the haven, that in the time of king Edward VI. it was in a manner destroyed and lost, and the navy and mariners dwindled to almost nothing, and the houses then inhabited in this town did not exceed two hundred, the inhabitants of which were greatly impoverished; the yearly customs of the town, by reason of the insufficiency of the haven, were so desicient, that there was scarcely enough arising from it to satisfy the customer his fee. This occasioned two several commissions to be granted, one in the 2d year of that reign, and another in the 2d year of queen Eli zabeth, to examine the state of the haven, and make a return of it; in consequence of the first of which, a new cut was begun by one John Rogers, which, however, was soon left in an untinished state, though there are evident traces of what was done towards making this canal still remaining, on the grounds between the town and Sandowne castle; and in consequence of the second, other representations and reports were made, one of which was, that the intended cut would be useless, and of no good effect.
Whether these different reports where the occasion that no further progress was made towards this work, and the restoration of this haven, or the very great expence it was estimated at, and the great difficulty of raising so large a sum, being 10,000l which the queen at that time could no ways spare, but so it was, that nothing further was done in it.
¶The haven being thus abandoned by the queen, and becoming almost useless, excepting to vessels of the small burthen before mentioned, the town itself would before long have become impoverished and fallen wholly to decay, had it not been most singularly preserved, and raised again, in some measure, to great wealth and prosperity, occasioned by the persecution for religion in Brabant and Flanders, which communicated to all the Protestant parts of Europe, the paper, silk, woollen, and other valuable manufactures of Flanders and France, almost peculiar at that time to those countries, and till then, in vain attempted elsewhere; the manufacturers of them came in bodies up to London, and afterwards chose their situations, with great judgment, distributing themselves, with the queen's licence, through England, so as not to interfere too much with one another. The workers in sayes, baize, and flannel in particular, fixed themselves here, at Sandwich, at the mouth of a haven, by which they might have an easy communication with the metropolis, and other parts of this kingdom, and afforded them like wife an easy export to the continent. These manufacturers applied accordingly to the queen, for her protection and licence; for which purpose, in the third year of her reign, she caused letters patent to be passed, directed to the mayor, &c. to give liberty to such of them, as should be approved of by the archbishop, and bishop of London, to inhabit here for the purpose of exercising those manufactures, which had not been used before in England, or for shishing in the seas, not exceeding the number of twenty-five house holders, accounting to every household not above twelve persons, and there to exercise their trade, and have as many servants as were necessary for carrying them on, not exceeding the number above mentioned; these immediately repaired to Sandwich, to the number, men, women, and children, of four hundred and six persons; of which, eight only were masters in the trade. A body of gardeners likewife discovered the nature of the soil about Sandwich to be exceedingly favourable to the growth of all esculent plants, and fixed themselves here, to the great advantage of this town, by the increase of inhabitants, the employment of the poor, and the money which circulated; the landholders like wife had the great advantage of their rents being considerably increased, and the money paid by the town and neighbourhood for vegetables, instead of being sent from hence for the purchase of them, remained within the bounds of it. The vegetables grew here in great perfection, but much of them was conveyed at an easy expence, by water carriage, to London, and from thence dispersed over different parts of the kingdom.
These strangers, by their industry and prudent conduct, notwithstanding the obstructions they met with, from the jealousy of the native tradesmen, and the avarice of the corporation, very soon rose to a flourishing condition.
ST. PETER'S CHURCH stands nearly in the centre of the town; it consisted formerly of three isles, and in that state was next in size to St. Clement's which was the largest church in Sandwich. In 1641 it was certified to the lord keeper by the mayor, &c. that the steeple of St. Peter's church was in a very ruinous condition; that it was a principal sea mark, and that it was beyond the parishioners abilities to rebuild it; the estimate of the expence being 1500l. The steeple fell down on Sunday, Oct. 13, 1661, and demolished the south isle, which has never been rebuilt. There had been two sermons preached in it that day; it fell down about a quarter after eleven at night; had it fallen in the day time, the greatest part of the town and parish would probably have been killed and buried under the rubbish, but no one was hurt and few heard of it. The rubbish was three fathom deep in the middle of the church and the bells underneath it. This church, as well as the other two, seems to have been formerly constructed entirely, or at least cased externally, with the stone of Normandy, well squared, and neatly put together. The east end of the chancel is a good specimen of the old work, and there are detached portions of the same fort of masonry in other parts of the building.
The present structure, which is evidently the work of different times, is composed of fragments of the older fabric, mixed with Kentish rag and sand stone, and slints from the shore. The south isle is said to have been built by Sir John Grove, about the year 1447, and Sir Simon de Sandwich, warden of the cinque ports in Edward II.'s reign, both having given liberally towards the new building of the steeple. The present steeple is a square tower, built with the old materials to the height of the roof of the church, and from thence to the battlements with bricks of the haven mud. There are eight small, but musical bells, cast in 1779; they cost 430l. 12s. 6d. which expence was in great measure defrayed by the metal of the former six old bells; and a clock, which is the property of the corporation, who keep it in repair.
In this church there are the following monuments and inscriptions, among others too numerous to mention.—In the south isle, now in ruins, are the remains of a handsome tomb under an arch in the wall, in which was interred the body of Sir John Grove, who flourished in king Henry VI.'s reign, on which were his arms, now obliterated, viz.Three leaves in bend, on a canton, three crescents. There has been another arched monument in this wall, but all the ornamental parts are gone. In the north isle are several gravestones, with memorials for the Jenkinsons, for Jeffreys, and for the Olivers. On a large stone, coffin shaped, is a cross resting on a small dog or lion, and round the verge of the stone some mutilated gothic square characters cut in the stone, for Adam Stannar, priest. Part of another stone, with similar characters on it, lies in the same space a little to the westward. On a brass plate in black letter is an inscription for Thomas Gilbert, gent. searcher, of Kent, who married Katharine, daughter of Robert Fylmer, of East Sutton, in Kent, and had six sons and three daughters; arms, Gilbert, Gules, a saltier, or, on a chief, ermine, three piles, gules. He died in 1597. In this chancel a gravestone for Mr. Henry Furnese, obt. 1672; Anne his wife, obt. 1696. (They were the parents of Sir Henry Furnese, bart.) Mr. John Blanch, merchant, obt. 1718; Elizabeth his wife, daughter of the above Henry and Anne Furnese, obt. 1737. A memorial for Mary, first wife of Mr. John Solly, mercer, eldest sister of Sir Henry Furnese, bart, obt. 1685; and Mr. John Solly, obt. 1747. Within the altar rails are memorials for many of the family of Verrier of this town. On a marble monument against the north wall, an inscription for the Olivers. Opposite the above, a mural monument with an inscription for Henry Wife, esq. obt. 1769; Elizabeth his daughter, wife of Mr. Wm. Boys, obt. 1761; Mary his wife, obt. 1772; arms, Wife, sable, three chevronels, ermine. An oval tablet of marble for Elizabeth, wife of John Rolse, jun. gent. of New Romney, obt. 1780. A marble mural monument against the south wall, near the door of the nave, for the Jekens and Youngs. A marble tablet underneath for Susannah Wyborn, formerly wife of the above named Mr. Thomas Young, but late of Mr. William Wyborn, brewer, of this town, obt. 1755. On a marble tablet against the north wall of the nave, an inscription for the Jekens. The gallery at the west end of the north isle was built by subscription, and is secured to the subscribers by a faculty. There are stones in the church pointing out the licenced vaults of Brown; the Jeken family; Solly; and Ferrier; the Thurbarne family, a hatchment over it has three coats of arms, viz. Thurbarne, sable, a griffin passant, argent, with impalements. In the south east angle of the north isle is a vault, now belonging to the heirs of Mr. Solomon Ferrier, but built originally for the family of Mennes, whose atchievment, helm, and crest are suspended over the place. The arms are, Gules, a chevron, vaire, or, and azure, between three leopards faces of the second. In an escutcheon of pretence, quarterly, first and fourth, the royal arms of Scotland, debruised with a batton, sable; second and third, a ship with sails furled, within a double tressure, story, counterflory. In the wall of the north isle are three arches, under the eastermost, between the second and third windows, on an altar tomb are the mutilated figures of a man and woman lying at length in the dresses of the time, their heads supported by double pillows, a lion at his feet, a dog at hers; in the front of the tomb are narrow gothic arches. The tomb projects into the church-yard; the second arch is behind the pulpit; the tomb was exposed to view in digging a vault in 1770; its front is divided into six compart ments, in each of the four middle ones is a shield, the first of which has three wheat fans, a crescent in the centre; the second a fess fusilly, between three griffins beads; the third has three lions rampant, and the fourth is void; over this monument in stones in the wall, are two coats of arms, that on the right hand being fretty, a chief; and the other the ports arms, three demi lious, impaling three demi ships. Under the westermost arch, which does not penetrate through the wall, is an handsome altar tomb of Caen stone, in the front of which are six small shields; there were arms in all of them, but the bearing and colours are nearly effaced.
Dr. Harris says, in the north isle were buried Tho Ellis, esq. of Sandwich, and Margaret his wife; Sir Simon Sandwich, warden of the cinque ports temp. Edward II. who was a great benefactor to the building of the steeple of this church. The Sandwich MS. quoted by Mr. Boys, says, that the former of these lies buried here, under a most antient monument, and that John Ive, esq. a worshipful merchant likewise, and Maud his wife, lie buried under an arched sepulchre in the wall; and that here likewife were buried divers of the worshipful men of the Sandwich's knights. Through the wall that divides the chancel from the north isle has been an arched door, now closed up; and another in the opposite wall, from an inclosed chapel at the upper end of the south isle, between which and the small house appointed for the chaplains of Ellis's chantry, was a door of communication, which, as well as the arch, is still visible; but they are now shut up with masonry. This probably was the chapel, where these chantry priests performed divine offices.
There are inscriptions on boards of the benefactions to the parish by Sir Henry Furnese and Mr. Jarvis. The figure of Sir John Grove has lately been removed by Mr. Boys from the fallen isle, where it must soon have been destroyed, into the church beside the font, at which time his remains were searched for; an arched grave was found under the monument containing a coffin with the date 1664, so that probably the remains of Sir John Grove were removed from hence at the time that the isle was brought into its present ruinous state. The outward parts of the figure having been much injured by the weather and the trampling of boys, its position has been reversed, and the other parts brought to view, where the sculpture is remarkably sharp and elegant.
In 1564 it was ordered by the mayor, jurats, &c. that the church of St. Peter should be appropriated to the use of the Flemmings, on account of the plague; that they might be all at one place.
The church yard, which was much too small, has been considerably enlarged in 1776, and was consecrated by archbishop Moore, at his primary visitation on July 9, 1786
¶The church of St. Peter is a rectory, and was antiently of the alternate patronage of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, and of the mayor, jurats, and commonalty; but this was not without continual dispute made by the former, of the latter's right to it. At length this controversy was finally settled in the year 1227, anno 11th Henry III. when they mutually acknowledged each others right in future to the alternate presentation to it. After which, the abbot and convent continued in the possession of their interest in the patronage of this church, till the dissolution of their monastery in the 30th year of king Henry VIII. when it came into the hands of the crown, where their alternate turn of presentation to this rectory has ever since continued, the king being at this time entitled to it. The other alternate right of presentation has continued in the mayor, jurats, and commonalty, to the present time.
It is valued in the king's books at eight pounds. In 1640 here were communicants 825, and it was valued at eighty pounds. It is now a discharged living, of about the clear yearly value of fifty pounds. It pays five shilling to the archdeacon for procurations, and 3s. 4d. to the archbishop at his ordinary visitations.
The revenues of this rectory arise from dues, collected in like manner as in the other parishes in this town, from the house in this parish, and from the tithe of land belonging to St. Bartholomew's hospital, called Cowleez, containing about ten acres.
In 1776, there were in this parish 228 houses, and 958 inhabitants.
The oldest register begins in 1538, and ends in 1615; the one in use begins from that period.