Nash Point Lighthouse
Nash Point Lighthouse was designed and built by
Joseph Nelson being completed in 1832 to mark the
hazardous sandbanks off Nash Point, overlooking
the Bristol Channel. This followed the wrecking of
the passenger steamer Frolic on these sands in 1831,
with a heavy loss of life.
Two circular towers were built, each with massive walls and
a stone gallery. The eastern, or high lighthouse being 37
metres high and the western or low lighthouse 25 metres
high. Placed 302 metres apart they provided leading lights
to indicate safe passage past the sandbanks. The high
light was painted with black and white stripes and the low
light was white. In those days both towers showed a fixed
light which was either red or white depending on the
direction from which a vessel approached. The red sector
marked the Nash Sands.
The low light was abandoned circa 1925 and the high
light was modernised and painted white. In place of the
fixed light a new first order catadioptric lens was installed
which gave a white and red group flashing, this was
removed in the automation of the station and replaced
with a rotating optic. Nash Point Lighthouse was the last
manned lighthouse in Wales. It was automated in 1998
with the keepers leaving for the last time on the 5 August.
The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from the
Planning Centre at Trinity House in Harwich, Essex.
© Trinity House is the General Lighthouse
Authority for England, Wales and the
Channel Islands.
Nash Point Lighthouse
Nash Point Lighthouse was designed and built by
Joseph Nelson being completed in 1832 to mark the
hazardous sandbanks off Nash Point, overlooking
the Bristol Channel. This followed the wrecking of
the passenger steamer Frolic on these sands in 1831,
with a heavy loss of life.
Two circular towers were built, each with massive walls and
a stone gallery. The eastern, or high lighthouse being 37
metres high and the western or low lighthouse 25 metres
high. Placed 302 metres apart they provided leading lights
to indicate safe passage past the sandbanks. The high
light was painted with black and white stripes and the low
light was white. In those days both towers showed a fixed
light which was either red or white depending on the
direction from which a vessel approached. The red sector
marked the Nash Sands.
The low light was abandoned circa 1925 and the high
light was modernised and painted white. In place of the
fixed light a new first order catadioptric lens was installed
which gave a white and red group flashing, this was
removed in the automation of the station and replaced
with a rotating optic. Nash Point Lighthouse was the last
manned lighthouse in Wales. It was automated in 1998
with the keepers leaving for the last time on the 5 August.
The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from the
Planning Centre at Trinity House in Harwich, Essex.
© Trinity House is the General Lighthouse
Authority for England, Wales and the
Channel Islands.