Back to photostream

2010.24 (3)

Text of the Foundation of Deseronto Plaque, which was unveiled on June 19th, 1971.

 

"The Plaque Reads:

 

THE FOUNDATION OF DESERONTO

 

Led by Deserontyou (Captain John), a group of Mohawks, supporters of the British during the American Revolution, in 1784 became this area's first settlers. Lands to the east of the Mohawks' reserve were patented by John Culbertson in 1837. He began selling village lots in his tract in 1840. Culbertson registered a survey for a village, "Deseronca", in 1850, although the settlement was called "Mill Point" 1850-81. After Hugo B. Rathbun acquired many village properties and built one of the province's earliest "company towns" here to house employees of his shipyard and sawmill. A county by-law of 1871 provided for the incorporation of Mill Point as a Village. It was renamed "Deseronto" in 1881 and became a Town in 1888.

 

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario.

 

Date and Time: Saturday, June 19th, 2:00 p.m.

Speakers:

Chairman: Father C. Snoeren, M.H.M.

Local Officials: Mayor J.W. Sharpe, Reeve C. Lyons, Warden K. Smith

Local M.P.P and M.P.: Clarke Rollins, Lee Grills

 

Board Representative: Dr. E. S. Rogers, Curator, Ethnology Br., Royal Ontario Museum

Historical Background: Mrs. D. McCullough

Unveiling: Mayor J. W. Sharpe

Dedication: Rev. Bill Hendry"

 

From a collection of materials relating to the 1971 centennial of Deseronto's incorporation as a village.

4,730 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on September 29, 2010
Taken in June 1971