Back to photostream

The Old Flour Mill Laura

The Laura flour mill was built in 1874 for HWA Walter, after whom the

streets of North Laura were named. Flour mills were notoriously risky for

burning down. That happened in 1878. The mill was rebuilt and passed into

the ownership of GE Walter who installed new machinery in 1893. It was

reported as “only the second in the Colony” to be a complete Roller Mill.

After 1911 the mill was closed for a while before being purchased by the

Kleinig family, trading as Laura Milling Co, and reopened the following year

after extensive alterations with TA Kleinig as Manager. In 1924 a Bronze

Medal was awarded in the British Empire Exhibition for the Laura flour.

The Laura Milling Company was well known for its BEST Laura Flour that

“enjoyed the largest sales of any mill in the state for mills of a similar

capacity”. Flour and other products were supplied to Kingoonya, Broken Hill,

Darwin and Mt Isa making extensive use of rail transport and even camel

trains.

In 1960 major improvements included the installation of bulk handling

facilities. The mill finally ceased production in 1972, but continued to

process flour for specialized markets. The Laura mill was for many years the

sole supplier of special high protein flour to the missions and settlements of

Aboriginal communities of Central Australia.

The mill has been a significant part of life in Laura providing employment for

generations, often working three shifts over 24 hours.

The Laura Standard

1,669 views
16 faves
2 comments
Uploaded on October 11, 2020
Taken on October 5, 2020