Back to photostream

Table Cape Lighthouse

Built in 1888

The design was by Huckson and Hutchinson of Hobart and built by a local builder, Mr. John Luck. The bricks came from Victoria as ballast.

Materials were brought to the site, from Wynyard 7 kilometres to the south, by bullock wagon.

Less than three weeks after the opening of the light the headkeeper's son, Bertie died at the age of 14 months.

The cause is not known, but it is the cause of a sad entry in the lighthouse log book.

"Wind south. A strong breeze and misty weather. Employed in the lighthouse and cleaning up about station. At 5.10 p.m.

Bertie Jackson, son of the head lightkeeper, departed this life aged one year and two months."

The undertaker struggled up from Wynyard on horse back with the small casket and after consultation with the clergy recommended that Bertie be buried near the lighthouse were his family could tend to his grave.

He was placed in a grave marked by a fuchsia bush. The bush has long since disappeared, but locals who knew the place have recently constructed a memorial.

432 views
1 fave
0 comments
Uploaded on November 6, 2016
Taken on October 2, 2016