Back to photostream

Marquette City Hall, Marquette, Michigan, United States

"The Marquette City Hall is a former government building located at 204 Washington Street in Marquette, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1974.

 

Up until 1893, the city of Marquette had no designated City Hall, and was indeed using, rent-free, a building owned by Peter White. However, when White informed the city that their lease had run out, civic pride prodded the government to plan the construction of a new city hall. The city held a special election to allow the issuance of bonds to pay for the building; on receiving an overwhelming approval, they hired local architects Andrew Lovejoy and Edward Demar to design the building. Contractor Emil Bruce constructed the building at a cost of slightly under $50,000. Part of the contract gave preference to locally sourced building material, and the demand for bricks and sandstone was great enough that the local economy was bolstered through the depression that lingered through the early 1890s. The cornerstone was laid in May 1894, and the building was completed later in the year and dedicated in early 1895.

 

The city used the building until 1975, and it was then sold to a private developer who refurbished it into professional offices.

 

The Marquette City Hall is a three-story rectangular building, measuring 92 by 72 feet (28 by 22 m), combining Richardsonian Romanesque, Second Empire, and Renaissance Revival architectural elements. It is constructed of red brick on a raised sandstone foundation, and surmounted by a tiled Mansard roof with a cupola. The front facade is divided by quoins into five bays. The central bay contains a recessed entrance, while the remaining front bays contain two-story arched windows. The remaining sides of the structure contain ribbon windows.

 

Inside, a main hall runs the full depth of the building, with stairs rising to the second floor. The second floor contained a council chamber that rose two stories.

 

Marquette (/mɑːrˈkɛt/ mar-KEHT) is a city in Marquette County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 20,629 at the 2020 United States Census, which makes it the largest city in the Upper Peninsula. It also serves as the county seat of Marquette County. Located on the shores of Lake Superior, the city is a major port, known primarily for shipping iron ore. The city is partially surrounded by Marquette Charter Township, but the two are administered autonomously.

 

Marquette is the home of Northern Michigan University. In 2012, Marquette was listed among the 10 best places to retire in the United States by CBS MoneyWatch.

 

The land around Marquette was known to French missionaries of the early 17th century and the trappers of the early 19th century. Development of the area did not begin until 1844, when William Burt and Jacob Houghton (the brother of geologist Douglass Houghton) discovered iron deposits near Teal Lake west of Marquette. In 1845, Jackson Mining Company, the first organized mining company in the region, was formed.

 

The village of Marquette began on September 14, 1849, with the formation of a second iron concern, the Marquette Iron Company. Three men participated in organizing the firm: Robert J. Graveraet, who had prospected the region for ore; Edward Clark, agent for Waterman A. Fisher of Worcester, Massachusetts, who financed the company, and Amos Rogers Harlow. The village was at first called New Worcester, with Harlow as the first postmaster. On August 21, 1850, the name was changed to honor Jacques Marquette, the French Jesuit missionary who had explored the region. A second post office, named Carp River, was opened on October 13, 1851 by Peter White, who had gone there with Graveraet at age 18. Harlow closed his post office in August 1852. The Marquette Iron Company failed, while its successor, the Cleveland Iron Mining Company, flourished and had the village platted in 1854. The plat was recorded by Peter White. White's office was renamed as Marquette in April 1856, and the village was incorporated in 1859. It was incorporated as a city in 1871.

 

During the 1850s, Marquette was linked by rail to numerous mines and became the leading shipping center of the Upper Peninsula. The first ore pocket dock, designed by an early town leader, John Burt, was built by the Cleveland Iron Mining Company in 1859. By 1862, the city had a population of over 1,600 and a soaring economy.

 

In the late 19th century, during the height of iron mining, Marquette became nationally known as a summer haven. Visitors brought in by Great Lakes passenger steamships filled the city's hotels and resorts.

 

South of the city, K. I. Sawyer Air Force Base was an important Air Force installation during the Cold War, host to B-52H bombers and KC-135 tankers of the Strategic Air Command, as well as a fighter interceptor squadron. The base closed in September 1995, and is now the county's Sawyer International Airport.

 

Marquette continues to be a shipping port for hematite ores and, today, enriched iron ore pellets, from nearby mines and pelletizing plants. About 7.9 million gross tons of pelletized iron ore passed through Marquette's Presque Isle Harbor in 2005.

 

The Roman Catholic Bishop Frederic Baraga is buried at St. Peter Cathedral, which is the center for the Diocese of Marquette.

 

Lakeview Arena, an ice hockey rink in Marquette won the Kraft Hockeyville USA contest on April 30, 2016. The arena received $150,000 in upgrades, and hosted the Buffalo Sabres and Carolina Hurricanes on October 4, 2016 in a preseason NHL contest. Buffalo won the game 2-0." - info from Wikipedia.

 

Now on Instagram.

7,732 views
76 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on April 21, 2022
Taken on April 20, 2022