The Shamrock at Cotehele Quay, Cornwall
The Shamrock is a restored Tamar sailing barge dating from 1899, when she was built by Frederick Hawkes at Stonehouse Creek, Plymouth. During her working career she sailed up and down the Tamar carrying a variety of goods including manure, coal, limestone, sand and fertiliser. In the late 1930s she moved from Plymouth to the Truro River where she operated in several Cornish ports. In 1962 she was used as a test drilling barge for core samples on the sea bed within St Ives Bay, Cornwall and later became a salvage vessel between 1966 and 1970 when she fell into disrepair. The National Trust acquired her in 1974 and the 32 ton ketch-rigged vessel was towed up the River Tamar to Cotehele Quay for restoration. She now has a permanent berth there. The National Maritime Museum supervised her full restoration to sea-going condition. Although she normally sits in her dock at Cotehele she does still undertake the occasional trip up the River Tamar.
Cotehele Quay is part of the Cotehele Estate, which is owned by the National Trust. In the background we can see several of the old lime kilns at Cotehele Quay. This is where the imported limestone would have been turned into lime to dress the farmers' fields and reduce the acidity of the soil.
The Shamrock at Cotehele Quay, Cornwall
The Shamrock is a restored Tamar sailing barge dating from 1899, when she was built by Frederick Hawkes at Stonehouse Creek, Plymouth. During her working career she sailed up and down the Tamar carrying a variety of goods including manure, coal, limestone, sand and fertiliser. In the late 1930s she moved from Plymouth to the Truro River where she operated in several Cornish ports. In 1962 she was used as a test drilling barge for core samples on the sea bed within St Ives Bay, Cornwall and later became a salvage vessel between 1966 and 1970 when she fell into disrepair. The National Trust acquired her in 1974 and the 32 ton ketch-rigged vessel was towed up the River Tamar to Cotehele Quay for restoration. She now has a permanent berth there. The National Maritime Museum supervised her full restoration to sea-going condition. Although she normally sits in her dock at Cotehele she does still undertake the occasional trip up the River Tamar.
Cotehele Quay is part of the Cotehele Estate, which is owned by the National Trust. In the background we can see several of the old lime kilns at Cotehele Quay. This is where the imported limestone would have been turned into lime to dress the farmers' fields and reduce the acidity of the soil.