Back to photostream

Norwich Castle, Norfolk

Norwich Castle was founded by William the Conqueror some time between 1066 and 1075. It originally took the form of a motte and bailey. Early in 1067, William the Conqueror embarked on a campaign to subjugate East Anglia, and according to military historian R. Allen Brown it was probably around this time that Norwich Castle was founded. The stone keep, which still stands today, was probably built between 1095 and 1110.

 

Its outer shell has been repaired repeatedly, most recently in 1835–9 by Anthony Salvin, with James Watson as mason, using Bath stone. None of the inner or outer bailey buildings survive, and the original Norman bridge over the inner ditch was replaced in about the year 1825. During the renovation, the keep was completely refaced based faithfully on the original ornamentation.

 

The castle keep, which had at one point been used as a gaol, is now a museum. This is the main entrance to the castle. The modern glass building on the left is the top of a small lift tower providing disabled access from the road below.

 

2,293 views
6 faves
5 comments
Uploaded on October 29, 2014
Taken on October 19, 2014