Back to photostream

Empty Afternoon Streets II (South Broken Hill, Far West New South Wales)

This building was erected in 1898 for the Alma Mechanics’ Institute which was the forerunner of Technical Colleges and Adult Learning. It was a very important community centre for residents of South Broken Hill.

 

The Alma Mechanics Institute building was restored between 1987-1990 from a near-ruinous condition. The building was saved by one councillor’s vote and became one of the first restoration projects undertaken by the Broken Hill City Council and is now known as the South Community Centre.

 

‘Alma’ was the original name for South Broken Hill, named for a battle in the Crimean War of 1854.

 

Source: Visit Broken Hill (www.visitbrokenhill.com/Trails/Silver-Trail/82.-Alma-Mech...)

265 views
5 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on December 13, 2023
Taken sometime in 2024