Back to album

Cana Island Lighthouse, Baileys Harbor, WI

The Cana Island Lighthouse—equipped with a Third Order Fresnel lens—first shone its light in January, 1870. In 1902, the soft cream city brick exterior of the tower was encased in steel plates to prevent degradation. The tower was then given a coat of white paint, the color that remains to this day. The Door County Maritime Museum now operates the property and the lighthouse and grounds are open to the public. National Register of Historic Places #76000201.

1,321 views
0 faves
1 comment
Uploaded on August 3, 2010
Taken on July 28, 2010