Back to photostream

The Dundas Aquaduct

Completed in 1810 by John Rennie, the spectacular Dundas Aqueduct carries the Kennet & Avon Canal over the River Avon and is a Scheduled Monument. It was the first canal structure to be designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument in 1951.

 

Named after Charles Dundas, the first chairman of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company, the aqueduct forms the junction between the Kennet and Avon Canal and the largely derelict Somerset Coal Canal. The short stretch of the Somerset Coal Canal still in water forms Brassknocker Basin, used for boat moorings, cycle hire and a cafe. A short walk further there is the Dundas Wharf where the small tollhouse, warehouse and crane still stand.

3,660 views
143 faves
154 comments
Uploaded on May 21, 2024
Taken on April 14, 2024