Biggenden. The former Methodist church now the Uniting Church. It opened in 1910 as a Methodist Church.
Biggenden.
In the 1880s parts of the early pastoral runs were resumed for closer farming settlement. Then when gold was discovered in the ranges to the north at Mount Shamrock and Paradise in 1889-90 the town of Biggenden emerged. The real impetus to that development was the arrival of the railway from Maryborough in 1891. In 1891 the Live and Live Hotel opened followed by the Biggenden School in 1892. The Courthouse was constricted in 1902. The township flourished as the surrounding districts were suitable for both dairying and grain growing. By the 1920s it had several butter factories. The Maryborough Cooperative ran their factory here from 1911 to 1969. Its Capitol Theatre also opened in the 1920s. The wooden Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in 1910 at a cost of £215. The first church in Biggenden appears to have been the wooden Catholic Church built in 1904. This was replaced with a new St Peters Catholic Church with terracotta tiles opened around 1939 at a cost of £1,880. A Catholic School run by the Sisters from Gayndah had opened in Biggenden in 1919. An Anglican was later built in the town around 1912 and the Presbyterians opened their Biggenden Church in 1938. The town’s population has declined since the closure of the butter factories in the 1960s. The top floor of the Paradise Courthouse on the goldfields was removed to become part of the Biggenden Police Station in the early 20th century. It has been the town museum since 1980. The town now has around 700 inhabitants. Along the Isis Highway are dramatic vistas of Mt Walsh (703 metres) and its surrounding National Park with granite outcrops. The Park was established in 1947.
Biggenden. The former Methodist church now the Uniting Church. It opened in 1910 as a Methodist Church.
Biggenden.
In the 1880s parts of the early pastoral runs were resumed for closer farming settlement. Then when gold was discovered in the ranges to the north at Mount Shamrock and Paradise in 1889-90 the town of Biggenden emerged. The real impetus to that development was the arrival of the railway from Maryborough in 1891. In 1891 the Live and Live Hotel opened followed by the Biggenden School in 1892. The Courthouse was constricted in 1902. The township flourished as the surrounding districts were suitable for both dairying and grain growing. By the 1920s it had several butter factories. The Maryborough Cooperative ran their factory here from 1911 to 1969. Its Capitol Theatre also opened in the 1920s. The wooden Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in 1910 at a cost of £215. The first church in Biggenden appears to have been the wooden Catholic Church built in 1904. This was replaced with a new St Peters Catholic Church with terracotta tiles opened around 1939 at a cost of £1,880. A Catholic School run by the Sisters from Gayndah had opened in Biggenden in 1919. An Anglican was later built in the town around 1912 and the Presbyterians opened their Biggenden Church in 1938. The town’s population has declined since the closure of the butter factories in the 1960s. The top floor of the Paradise Courthouse on the goldfields was removed to become part of the Biggenden Police Station in the early 20th century. It has been the town museum since 1980. The town now has around 700 inhabitants. Along the Isis Highway are dramatic vistas of Mt Walsh (703 metres) and its surrounding National Park with granite outcrops. The Park was established in 1947.