Leo Fulviosky
Verrès castle (Aosta)- An inscription carved in Gothic characters states that Ibleto of Challant began works in 1390. In 1536 Renato of Challant renovated the defence structures, adapting them for modern fire arms. On this occasion, a boundary wall with a
Verrès castle (Aosta)-
An inscription carved in Gothic characters states that Ibleto of Challant began works in 1390. In 1536 Renato of Challant renovated the defence structures, adapting them for modern fire arms. On this occasion, a boundary wall with a battery, buttresses and five-sided attack towers, suitable for use with the canon and springalds cast in the Count of Challant’s fiefdom in Valangin, Switzerland. Further protection was given to the entrance with the addition of an inner gate, a drawbridge and loopholes. New cross windows were created in addition to the existing single-light and mullioned Gothic windows, and new gates with Spanish-inspired Moorish arches. The interiors were enhanced with new furnishings. Renato of Challant died leaving no male heirs in 1565, which is when the castle was taken over by the Savoys. In 1661 Duke Charles Emmanuel II ordered the dismantling of weapons and their transfer to the fortress in Bard, a strategic point in which the defence of Val d’Aosta was concentrated.
The Challant regained possession of the castle in 1696 and kept it until the end of the family line at the start of the 19th century. At that time the castle had been abandoned for almost two centuries: the roof, which was already in partial collapse, was demolished completely to avoid paying duty on the structure, and so the upper floors were exposed to the elements. Like the castles of Issogne and Fénis, this castle was rescued by a group of Piedmont intellectuals with a common love for the Middle Ages. ..After going through the outer door which opens in the fortified wall, also accessible on horseback across the drawbridge, you come to the guard’s building opposite the castle entrance. The portal leads onto a hallway with a protective machicolation disguised within the vault. A second door, formerly protected by a portcullis, provides access to the castle courtyard. Surrounding this square space, the body of the building is arranged in a ring on three floors, connected via a monumental stone staircase set on rampant arches. The regular geometrical structure and simplicity of the green and white stone decoration, are consistent with military character of the building and are also evidence of the excellent craftsmanship in Verrès.
------La storia
Costruito su un picco roccioso che domina il sottostante borgo, il castello è citato per la prima volta nel 1287 come proprietà dei signori De Verretio. Un’iscrizione scolpita in caratteri gotici attesta che fu Ibleto di Challant nel 1390 a porre mano ai lavori che fecero assumere all’edificio l’aspetto attuale. Nel 1536 Renato di Challant rinnovò l’apparato difensivo del maniero, adattandolo all’uso delle moderne armi da fuoco. In questa occasione venne costruita una cinta muraria munita di cannoniere, di speroni a contrafforte e di torrette poligonali da offesa, idonei all’impiego delle spingarde e dei cannoni fusi nel feudo che il conte di Challant possedeva a Valangin, in Svizzera; l’ingresso fu reso più sicuro mediante la realizzazione dell’antiporta con il ponte levatoio e l’apertura di feritoie. Si provvide inoltre ad aprire nuove finestre a crociera, in aggiunta a quelle a tipo gotico a monofora e a bifora già esistenti, e nuove porte ad arco moresco, di evidente influsso spagnolo; gli interni furono arricchiti con nuovi arredi. Alla morte di Renato di Challant (1565) senza eredi di sesso maschile, il castello venne incamerato dai Savoia. Nel 1661 il duca Carlo Emanuele II ordinò di smantellare gli armamenti e di trasferirli al forte di Bard, punto strategico dove si concentrava la difesa della Valle d’Aosta.
Gli Challant riottennero il possesso della rocca nel 1696 e lo mantennero fino all’estinzione della casata, ai primi del XIX secolo. A quell’epoca il castello era abbandonato da quasi due secoli: il tetto, già in parte crollato, era stato demolito del tutto per evitare il pagamento del canone erariale, così che i piani superiori erano esposti alle intemperie e invasi dalle erbacce. Il salvataggio di questo castello, come per quelli di Issogne e di Fénis, si deve all’interesse di un gruppo di intellettuali piemontesi accomunati dalla passione per il Medioevo.
Verrès castle (Aosta)- An inscription carved in Gothic characters states that Ibleto of Challant began works in 1390. In 1536 Renato of Challant renovated the defence structures, adapting them for modern fire arms. On this occasion, a boundary wall with a
Verrès castle (Aosta)-
An inscription carved in Gothic characters states that Ibleto of Challant began works in 1390. In 1536 Renato of Challant renovated the defence structures, adapting them for modern fire arms. On this occasion, a boundary wall with a battery, buttresses and five-sided attack towers, suitable for use with the canon and springalds cast in the Count of Challant’s fiefdom in Valangin, Switzerland. Further protection was given to the entrance with the addition of an inner gate, a drawbridge and loopholes. New cross windows were created in addition to the existing single-light and mullioned Gothic windows, and new gates with Spanish-inspired Moorish arches. The interiors were enhanced with new furnishings. Renato of Challant died leaving no male heirs in 1565, which is when the castle was taken over by the Savoys. In 1661 Duke Charles Emmanuel II ordered the dismantling of weapons and their transfer to the fortress in Bard, a strategic point in which the defence of Val d’Aosta was concentrated.
The Challant regained possession of the castle in 1696 and kept it until the end of the family line at the start of the 19th century. At that time the castle had been abandoned for almost two centuries: the roof, which was already in partial collapse, was demolished completely to avoid paying duty on the structure, and so the upper floors were exposed to the elements. Like the castles of Issogne and Fénis, this castle was rescued by a group of Piedmont intellectuals with a common love for the Middle Ages. ..After going through the outer door which opens in the fortified wall, also accessible on horseback across the drawbridge, you come to the guard’s building opposite the castle entrance. The portal leads onto a hallway with a protective machicolation disguised within the vault. A second door, formerly protected by a portcullis, provides access to the castle courtyard. Surrounding this square space, the body of the building is arranged in a ring on three floors, connected via a monumental stone staircase set on rampant arches. The regular geometrical structure and simplicity of the green and white stone decoration, are consistent with military character of the building and are also evidence of the excellent craftsmanship in Verrès.
------La storia
Costruito su un picco roccioso che domina il sottostante borgo, il castello è citato per la prima volta nel 1287 come proprietà dei signori De Verretio. Un’iscrizione scolpita in caratteri gotici attesta che fu Ibleto di Challant nel 1390 a porre mano ai lavori che fecero assumere all’edificio l’aspetto attuale. Nel 1536 Renato di Challant rinnovò l’apparato difensivo del maniero, adattandolo all’uso delle moderne armi da fuoco. In questa occasione venne costruita una cinta muraria munita di cannoniere, di speroni a contrafforte e di torrette poligonali da offesa, idonei all’impiego delle spingarde e dei cannoni fusi nel feudo che il conte di Challant possedeva a Valangin, in Svizzera; l’ingresso fu reso più sicuro mediante la realizzazione dell’antiporta con il ponte levatoio e l’apertura di feritoie. Si provvide inoltre ad aprire nuove finestre a crociera, in aggiunta a quelle a tipo gotico a monofora e a bifora già esistenti, e nuove porte ad arco moresco, di evidente influsso spagnolo; gli interni furono arricchiti con nuovi arredi. Alla morte di Renato di Challant (1565) senza eredi di sesso maschile, il castello venne incamerato dai Savoia. Nel 1661 il duca Carlo Emanuele II ordinò di smantellare gli armamenti e di trasferirli al forte di Bard, punto strategico dove si concentrava la difesa della Valle d’Aosta.
Gli Challant riottennero il possesso della rocca nel 1696 e lo mantennero fino all’estinzione della casata, ai primi del XIX secolo. A quell’epoca il castello era abbandonato da quasi due secoli: il tetto, già in parte crollato, era stato demolito del tutto per evitare il pagamento del canone erariale, così che i piani superiori erano esposti alle intemperie e invasi dalle erbacce. Il salvataggio di questo castello, come per quelli di Issogne e di Fénis, si deve all’interesse di un gruppo di intellettuali piemontesi accomunati dalla passione per il Medioevo.