Back to photostream

down by the crawfish river...

 

 

 

The Danville Mill, also known under its historic name the Jaeger Rye Mill, is an old Rye Mill from 1854 located on the side of County Road TT, and just down the river from Astico Park, in nearby Danville, Wisconsin.

 

 

This timber-framed mill was constructed in 1854, harnessing power from the Crawfish River in order to grind rye and other grains for local farmers. The mill was purchased by a man named Franz in the 1880s. Sometime afterwards a sawmill built in 1843 was moved here and placed across the river, serving as a feed-storage area until its demolition in 1989. Franz taught the milling trade to his sons Edwin and Oscar. Edwin operated the mill into his 80's. Milling ceased here in 1967, but the retail operation continued until 1997, selling brewer grains and garver feed. Tom Mannlein, great-great-grandson of Franz purchased the mill from his grandfather in 1982. An Amish Carpenter was hired in July 2018 to install a new metal roof, to further secure the interior of the structure. The stone-foundations around the Mill have had to be repaired multiple times, including during the floods of 2008 in which one of the walls was completely undermined by the rushing currents.

660 views
39 faves
8 comments
Uploaded on September 2, 2025
Taken on August 23, 2025