Back to photostream

6 Forest City, California

FOREST CITY DANCE HALL

BUILT BY WEST AND KNOWLES FOLLOWING THE FIRE OF

1883. THIS THEN THREE-STORY STRUCTURE HOUSED THE

KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS, A LARGE RUBBER-SPRUNG DANCE FLOOR, BARBER SHOP, SALOON AND BILLIARD HALL. IN THE LATE 1930S, THE TOP FLOORS WERE CRUSHED BY SNOW AND THE DANCE FLOOR RELOCATED TO THE BOTTOM STORY. THE HAND-GRAINED WAINSCOTING, BAR AND FIXTURES REFLECT THE ORIGINAL 1880S DECOR. THE BARBER SHOP WITH ITS ORIGINAL FURNISHINGS WAS IN THE ROOM NOW OCCUPIED BY THE MUSEUM. IN 1992 THE FOREST CITY HISTORICAL ASSO-

CIATION ASSUMED STEWARDSHIP AND HAS DEDICATED IT TO

PUBLIC USE

 

CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM

DEDICATED JULY 13, 1996

BY THE MAJOR WILLIAM DOWNIE CHAPTER #1849 E CLAMPUS VITUS

 

925 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on February 25, 2013
Taken on February 22, 2013