Dittisham Devon
Church of St George, Dittisham Devon is sited at the heart of the village close to the main junction of lanes where the lane arriving from the main road splits to go either to the foot ferry or onward towards Cornworthy.
Together with the village it is built on a steeply sloping site and comprises of an aisled nave, chancel, south porch, vestry & western tower which is a landmark for boat traffic and was undoubtedly used as a navigational aid. The stone walls keep in the raised graveyard at the Lower Street end.
In 1086 Domesday times Dittisham was held by Baldwin the Sheriff and supported 12 ploughs as well possessing pasture and woodland with a lengthy list of livestock held.
It is assumed that there was an earlier Saxon building though no trace of it now remains. (In the year 755 Devon was conquered by the Saxons and a Saxon Chief settled on the banks of the River Dart. This settlement was part of the manor given by Edward the Confessor to Leofric, Bishop of Exeter, who is certain to have made sure there was a church in the settlement).
This church was replaced by a Norman one consisting of only a chancel and nave; the line of this roof can still be seen on the east wall of the tower. The list of rectors begins in 1224
In 1328 Bishop Grandisson of Exeter ordered an enquiry into the neglect of duties and of the church, which was now a ruin, by the rector, Sir Richard de Inkpenne who died soon afterwards.
The church was later restored and reconstructed between 1328 and 1333 by the next rector, Sir Richard de Gormersale and dedicated to St George by Bishop Grandisson on 4th October 1333. The bottom stage of the tower was built & the chancel enlarged and the side aisles added in late 14c / early 15c. when a two story porch was built on to the south wall with a priest’s chamber above which has a window into the church over the south door. The top stage of the west tower was also rebuilt about this time with a polygonal stair turret in the west angle. What is now the vestry on the north side of the chancel in the angle with the north aisle appears to be later than the chancel but possibly earlier than the north aisle.
Above the south door is the Royal Coat of Arms of Charles ll, granted at the time of his 1660 Restoration in gratitude to the people for their loyalty. The 12c font is Norman standing on a modern stone shaft and base. It is a solid, red sandstone bowl thought to have been buried to save it from destruction at that time, however the font cover is modern and was given by the children of the parish in 1928. www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/S418yn95VL
The beautiful carved and painted stone wineglass pulpit dates from the 15c. The figures carved on it are thought to be of the saints, including St. John the Baptist.
The chancel screen is also 15c www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/9SW0D6894N – the groining and canopy were beautifully restored in 1954-55 by workmen in Exeter. The painted figures were damaged by Cromwell’s men who also burnt down the rectory destroying all the books and early church registers.
The windows in the north aisle were inserted c1846, they are a memorial to two former rectors, John Hutchings (1768 to 1802) and his son, Robert Sparke Hutchings (1805 to 1827). The windows in the South Aisle are of pressed glass which is now not made. The small, richly coloured window in the north side chapel may consist of remains from the original East Window.
On the outside of the west window can be seen the heads of Elizabeth ll & her son then Prince Charles
In 1830 it was noted that remains of the rood loft had been destroyed in 1810 when the church was repaired. Also in the early 19c there was said to be a gallery under the tower arch. In 1828 the pinnacles of the tower were removed and replaced with new pinnacles in about 1846 when the church was restored and the aisle windows were replaced under the direction of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. The church was restored again in 1883 and again in 1924-5.
The tower clock was presented in 1879. The five bells were cast in 1802 by Thomas Mears of London (bells were reported in 1553).
Glenn Bennett www.google.co.uk/search?q=dittisham+church+devon&sca_...
Dittisham Devon
Church of St George, Dittisham Devon is sited at the heart of the village close to the main junction of lanes where the lane arriving from the main road splits to go either to the foot ferry or onward towards Cornworthy.
Together with the village it is built on a steeply sloping site and comprises of an aisled nave, chancel, south porch, vestry & western tower which is a landmark for boat traffic and was undoubtedly used as a navigational aid. The stone walls keep in the raised graveyard at the Lower Street end.
In 1086 Domesday times Dittisham was held by Baldwin the Sheriff and supported 12 ploughs as well possessing pasture and woodland with a lengthy list of livestock held.
It is assumed that there was an earlier Saxon building though no trace of it now remains. (In the year 755 Devon was conquered by the Saxons and a Saxon Chief settled on the banks of the River Dart. This settlement was part of the manor given by Edward the Confessor to Leofric, Bishop of Exeter, who is certain to have made sure there was a church in the settlement).
This church was replaced by a Norman one consisting of only a chancel and nave; the line of this roof can still be seen on the east wall of the tower. The list of rectors begins in 1224
In 1328 Bishop Grandisson of Exeter ordered an enquiry into the neglect of duties and of the church, which was now a ruin, by the rector, Sir Richard de Inkpenne who died soon afterwards.
The church was later restored and reconstructed between 1328 and 1333 by the next rector, Sir Richard de Gormersale and dedicated to St George by Bishop Grandisson on 4th October 1333. The bottom stage of the tower was built & the chancel enlarged and the side aisles added in late 14c / early 15c. when a two story porch was built on to the south wall with a priest’s chamber above which has a window into the church over the south door. The top stage of the west tower was also rebuilt about this time with a polygonal stair turret in the west angle. What is now the vestry on the north side of the chancel in the angle with the north aisle appears to be later than the chancel but possibly earlier than the north aisle.
Above the south door is the Royal Coat of Arms of Charles ll, granted at the time of his 1660 Restoration in gratitude to the people for their loyalty. The 12c font is Norman standing on a modern stone shaft and base. It is a solid, red sandstone bowl thought to have been buried to save it from destruction at that time, however the font cover is modern and was given by the children of the parish in 1928. www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/S418yn95VL
The beautiful carved and painted stone wineglass pulpit dates from the 15c. The figures carved on it are thought to be of the saints, including St. John the Baptist.
The chancel screen is also 15c www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/9SW0D6894N – the groining and canopy were beautifully restored in 1954-55 by workmen in Exeter. The painted figures were damaged by Cromwell’s men who also burnt down the rectory destroying all the books and early church registers.
The windows in the north aisle were inserted c1846, they are a memorial to two former rectors, John Hutchings (1768 to 1802) and his son, Robert Sparke Hutchings (1805 to 1827). The windows in the South Aisle are of pressed glass which is now not made. The small, richly coloured window in the north side chapel may consist of remains from the original East Window.
On the outside of the west window can be seen the heads of Elizabeth ll & her son then Prince Charles
In 1830 it was noted that remains of the rood loft had been destroyed in 1810 when the church was repaired. Also in the early 19c there was said to be a gallery under the tower arch. In 1828 the pinnacles of the tower were removed and replaced with new pinnacles in about 1846 when the church was restored and the aisle windows were replaced under the direction of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. The church was restored again in 1883 and again in 1924-5.
The tower clock was presented in 1879. The five bells were cast in 1802 by Thomas Mears of London (bells were reported in 1553).
Glenn Bennett www.google.co.uk/search?q=dittisham+church+devon&sca_...