Glenelg Pioneer Memorial
Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.
“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]
“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]
“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]
“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]
“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]
“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]
“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]
“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]
“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]
“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]
“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]
“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]
“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]
“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]
Glenelg Pioneer Memorial
Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.
“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]
“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]
“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]
“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]
“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]
“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]
“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]
“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]
“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]
“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]
“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]
“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]
“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]
“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]