Back to photostream

North Adelaide Cross of Sacrifice

The Women’s War Memorial, usually referred to as the Cross of Sacrifice, was the idea of SA women soon after WWI ended. Funds were collected from women as a tribute to the British, French & Allied troops lost in the war; 10,000 subscribers contributed over £3,000. The first stage was the Cross of Sacrifice, a replica of the cross designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield which stands over war cemeteries. It was built by Walter Torode of Unley using Tea Tree Gully stone from the St Peter's College quarry. The cross foundation stone was laid 4 Aug 1920 by the Governor, Sir Archibald Weigall. On 24 Mar 1922 Ethel Wyatt, who originated the idea of a women’s memorial, placed under the shaft of the cross the names of men who died serving in the war. (The women refused to include names of nurses lost.) The cross, facing east, with a bronze crusaders sword attached, was unveiled 25 Apr 1922. The Stone of Remembrance at the eastern end of the Memorial Garden was unveiled 26 Apr 1923. Based on that of Sir Edward Lutyens, it is a 5-ton block of Palmer stone, also built by Walter Torode. The Garden of Memory was laid out in the shape of a cross with hedges of olive as suggested by Herbert Baker, one of the three principal architects for the War Graves Commission. The Eternal Flame & Ataturk’s Tribute were added 11 Nov 2008. The Anzac Day March traditionally leaves the SA National War memorial and ends at the Cross of Sacrifice where a Remembrance Service is held.

 

“A large number of women war workers assembled in the Mayor's Parlor on Wednesday afternoon to consider a suggestion for the establishment of a women's war memorial. . . it is a fitting sequel to women's work and sacrifice that the women of South Australia shall erect, as a memorial to the sailors and soldiers who have laid down their lives in this war, some monument, to be placed in a prominent site, and demonstrate publicly for all time their reverence for the spirit of sacrifice which filled their men and their own humble pride in sharing that sacrifice." [Advertiser 13 Mar 1919]

 

“it was Miss E. Wyatt's idea, and that the committee grew out of the League of Loyal Women's organization. Public meetings were held, and women everywhere joined in to help.” [Register 17 Apr 1923]

 

“the women were not erecting the memorial to their own work as seemed to be the idea in some quarters. The women . . . have stood behind their men and cared for them in camps, hospitals, and trenches and welcomed them home, and their memorial is just a tribute to the men who have passed beyond their care. . . it is proposed by the promoters that the form of the memorial should be one of two alternatives, a simple rough stone cross or some piece or group of statuary in bronze. The exact size and form will of necessity be determined by the amount subscribed.” [Daily Herald 1 May 1919]

 

“The national memorial is to be erected, or, at any rate, subsidised by a Government grant, which is perfectly proper, but we want ours to be absolutely distinct — a spontaneous gift, erected in that 'give because it is a pleasure and a privilege' spirit which makes the humblest tribute acceptable.” [Advertiser 1 May 1919]

 

“Mr. Herbert Baker, well known in the architectural world, has rendered a great service in advising the committee and planning the scheme which will be carried out under the supervision of Mr. Alfred Wells. . . letter from Mr. Baker: — 'I have so much appreciated your sensible and excellent ideas in such a good cause that I will gladly give you some suggestions. . . . I have suggested laying out part of the garden along the axis of the Cathedral. . . I have placed the war stone in the apse, as it were, formed of a cut hedge of dark green. . . The centre path would run straight down to the cross at the far end, and which would be on a circular stone-paved platform, two or three steps up. I suggest that the stone should be framed with spiral trees, and the cross with spreading trees.’” [Register 3 Mar 1920]

 

“There was a large gathering of women at the laying of the foundation stone of the Women's War Memorial at Pennington terrace, North Adelaide, on Wednesday. The ceremony was performed by the Governor (Sir Archibald Weigall). Over 1500 women war workers marched from Victoria square to the site of the memorial, the procession being headed by the band of the R.S. and S. League. . . Numbers of the Cheer-Up Society in uniform were present, and a guard of honor composed of army nurses under Matron Davidson.” [Daily Herald 5 Aug 1920]

 

“His Excellency the Governor (Sir Archibald Weigall) laid the foundation stone of the Women's Memorial, and another of the stone bearing the inscription 'To the glory of God and the imperishable memory of the men who gave their lives in the great war, 1914-1920. The tribute of the women of South. Australia'.” [Register 12 Aug 1920]

 

“A formidable sword, of ancient design, which would be serviceable only in the hands of a Goliath, was among the recent imports to South Australia from England. It is a Crusader's sword, made of bronze, and will figure on the face of the tall white stone cross which is to be erected in Pennington Gardens, North Adelaide. . . It was expected that the parts of the cross would be ready for assembling this mouth, but owing to the difficulty in obtaining stone of uniform color and the required durability the work has been delayed. The cross will be the dominant feature of an elaborate scheme. The entire garden will be transformed, in accordance with a plan gratuitously provided by Mr. Herbert Baker (designer of the City of New Delhi, and a member of the Imperial War Graves Commission), and the memorial column will look down upon a low shrine of remembrance, the design for which has been supplied by Sir' Edward Lutyen, who was the designee of the London Cenotaph.” [Advertiser 2 Apr 1921]

 

“After many months of research since the foundation of the Women's Memorial Cross at Pennington Gardens, North Adelaide, was completed, the full number of special sized stones have been quarried, and the contractor, Mr. Walter Torode, is in a position to arrange for the completion of the memorial. The stone is from St. Peter's College quarry, Teatree Gully.” [Register 29 Aug 1921]

 

“Excellent progress is being made in the work of laying out the garden near Pennington-terrace east for the women of South Australia's memorial to the men who gave their lives in the war. The hedge forming the enclosure has been planted, and preparations are being made for forming the flower-beds and paths in accordance with the design. . . some people did not approve of the choice of an olive hedge, but the opinion of experts had been obtained, and the question carefully gone into before it was decided upon. The committee had had to bear in mind the fact that owing to the nature of the subsoil cupressus and other types of hedge would require replacing from time to time, whereas the olive would be practically everlasting. It was, moreover, a most beautiful hedge when properly cut and looked after, and was also decidedly appropriate, through its historical association with the Crucifix. . . The monolith, or Stone of Remembrance, similar to those placed in the war cemeteries abroad, was not likely to be finished until later, as it was difficult to procure a perfect large block from which could be cut in one piece, but the material was understood to be now in sight, and the work in relation to it would, proceed with the least possible delay.” [Advertiser 13 Oct 1921]

 

“Women's Memorial in Pennington Gardens. When the foundation stone was laid offerings were brought and laid on the stone, and into the little violet linen bags which held each offering a card or slip of paper with the name of a soldier who had given his life for our sakes was slipped. These have been saved and put into a jar, which is to be buried beneath the cross.” [The Journal 25 Mar 1922]

 

“the site of the Women's Memorial to the Fallen in the Great War at Pennington Gardens . . . the placing of an urn in the base of the cross. . . Miss Ethel Wyatt placed the urn, which was enfolded in the Union Jack, inside the base of the cross. . . The names enclosed in the receptacle were those of British, French, and Allied fighters in the Great War; and were received on the day that the foundation stone was laid, The women who desired to assist in the movement brought offerings in little violet bags, and each contained the name of some loved one, who had given his life in the defence of womanhood and for all that it enshrined.” [Register 25 Mar 1922]

 

“Viewed from the centre of the pathway a trinity of crosses is seen, for the crosses on the spires of St. Peter's Cathedral are seen as in guardianship, on either side of the Memorial Cross.” [The Journal 26 Apr 1922]

 

“the beautiful monument just unveiled, had been erected not only to the soldiers of their great British Empire, but also to the memory of the soldiers of the Allies who had fallen in assisting to win the war. It was another example-of the splendid loyalty and aid given by the women of the Empire to soldiers, not only while abroad, but since their return. All the money for that memorial had been subscribed voluntarily by the ladies of South Australia.” [Register 26 Apr 1922]

 

“the annual Violet Memory Day ceremonies in Adelaide in honour of those who died in the Great War. The Exhibition Building was crowded. . . It was in July, 1915, that the first gathering was held in honour of those who had fallen in the fighting and as a public means of affording some comfort to the bereaved. . . there was a great and charming free contribution of violets (which were subsequently placed on the Women's Memorial at North Adelaide and on the soldiers' graves at the West Terrace Cemetery).” [Register 31 Jul 1922]

 

“The ‘stone of remembrance’, which has been designed as part of the Women's Memorial on Pennington terrace, embarked upon the last stage of its journey — from Martin's monumental works, on the Hyde Park road, to the site of the memorial . . . was seen passing through King William street on a low-wheeled vehicle drawn by four stalwart horses. The block is of Palmer stone, weighs five tons, is 11 ft. 7 in. long by 2 ft. 4 in. high, and 2 ft. 4 in. broad, with a total measurement of 60 cubic feet, and, with the exception of the inscription, ‘Their name liveth for evermore’ on one side, is free from all adornment.” [The Journal 18 Apr 1923]

 

“The Cross, which faces east, has been constructed immediately in front of a massive Moreton Bay figtree, behind which the towers and spires of St. Peter's Cathedral raise their hallowed peaks. . . The Cross of Sacrifice is from the design of Sir Reginald Blomfield, R.A., of London, and the Stone of Remembrance is from an English plan by Sir Edward Lutyens, R.A. Mr. Herbert Baker, who planned the New Delhi, gave his advice concerning the lay-out of the garden scheme, the planting of which has been superintended by the Adelaide City Gardener (Mr. Pelzer). The honorary architect was Mr. Alfred Wells. The real work of construction of the Cross and the Stone was executed under the direction of Mr. Walter Torode.” [Register 26 Apr 1923]

 

 

3,629 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on April 24, 2019
Taken on January 9, 2019