Back to photostream

North Adelaide Memorial Hospital

Lea Hurst. Built 1876 for Thomas Johnson, architect Daniel Garlick, sold to James Hill 1887, purchased from his estate 1919 by Memorial Hospital.

 

“Mr. T. Johnson, M.P., and Mr. W. H. Sharland have built two handsome houses, of 17 rooms each, on the Avenue road, North Adelaide. The fronts are of dressed Teatree Gully freestone. The houses are fitted up with bathrooms, wardrobes, and with all the latest improvements for comfort as well as appearance, at a cost of about £4,000 each. The contractors were Messrs. Brown and Thompson; architect, Mr. D. Garlick.” [Advertiser 29 Jan 1876]

 

“For Sale or To Let, Mr. Thos. Johnson’s Private Residence, Avenue road, N.A.” [Register 27 Aug 1886]

 

“At Avenue-Road, North Adelaide. Residence of Mr. Thomas Johnson. Valuable and Modern Household Furniture and Effects. Pianos by Lipp and Erard. Spicer buggy (almost new) by Crimp. Superb original oil painting (Colonial Scenes). . . Mr. Johnson having furnished a House during the occupancy of the Avenue road premises by Mr. Warner, is enabled to offer the Furniture in its entirety.” [Advertiser 17 Sep 1887]

 

“Respectable young Dressmaker Wanted by - the day. References required. — Mrs. James Hill, Leahurst, Avenue-road, N.A.” [Express & Telegraph 24 Sep 1888]

 

“Houses and Land for Sale. . . Avenue-Road — North Adelaide, "Lea Hurst," 15 rooms, billiard-room, ballroom, land 105 ft. to Avenue-road by 210 ft.” [Advertiser 21 Apr 1903]

 

“To Let, for Term, Furnished or Unfurnished, Leahurst, Avenue road, North Adelaide, superior Residence, Eleven Rooms and conveniences, including Stabling, Man's Room, &c.” Register 5 Jun 1909]

 

MEMORIAL HOSPITAL opened 6 Feb 1920 in 3 houses on Avenue Rd, (previously Roberts Lane, now Sir Edwin Smith Avenue).

Simpson Newland’s single-storey home “The Terraces” purchased 1917, used as nurses redidence, later demolished & replaced by new hospital wing 1991. William Sharland’s home “The Avenues”, sold to George Brookman 1908 and converted to Ru Rua Private Hospital, purchased by Memorial Hospital 1918. “Leahurst” built by Thomas Johnson, purchased 1919 from James Hill’s estate. William Sharland & Thomas Johnson had built identical two-storey homes 1876, architect Daniel Garlick. The hospital linked these two by extensions opened 20 Jul 1921, architect Eric Habershon McMichael.

 

“On the eve of a great peace following a terrible war, memorials to the gallant dead are being everywhere erected. Many are not merely ornamental; their usefulness is significant of the nobility they commemorate. Of this kind is the Methodist Memorial Hospital, formerly known as "The Terraces," North Adelaide. This conveniently situated residence and charming grounds were purchased by the Methodist body in order that it might establish a hospital and medical training centre.” [Register 1 Mar 1919]

 

“Memorial Hospital in honor of the fallen Methodist soldiers . . . suitable property for the purpose has been purchased at North Adelaide. . . ample accommodation for present and future requirements.” [Advertiser 21 Jul 1919]

 

“The following properties have been purchased for the purposes of the hospital: — 'The Terraces,' from Mr. Simpson Newland; 'Lea Hurst,' from the estate of the late Mr. James Hill; and 'Ru Rua,' from Mr. G. Brookman, at a total cost of about £17,000. The three buildings total 54 rooms, and occupy two and a half acres of land, fronting Pennington Terrace, Kermode Street, and Avenue Road:” [The Mail 19 Jul 1919]

 

“It is intended first to prepare "Ru-Rua" for medical, surgical, and maternity cases, and then to follow up by alterations, adaptations, etc., at "Lea Hurst," and "The Terraces" for patients.” [Aust Christian Commonwealth 9 Jan 1920]

 

“Founded by the Methodist Church of South Australia to perpetuate the loyalty and heroism of the men and women of the State who served in the great war, and as a practical expression of deep gratitude to those, living and dead, who in the Empire's hour of need, stood in the breach and helped to achieve so glorious a victory, the Memorial Hospital, North Adelaide, has now been extended. . . The two big, houses facing the park lands have been joined up, and now there is provision for over 70 patients.” [Register 21 Jul 1921]

 

THE TERRACES

Single storey home built by 1891. Several residents until purchased by Simpson Newland 1912, sold 1917 to Memorial Hospital, used as nurses residence, demolished & replaced by new hospital wing 1991.

 

“Auctions. . . North Adelaide. . . land having a frontage of 210 ft. to Avenue-road, and a frontage of 233 ft. to Kermode-Street, on which is erected a comfortable and convenient House of eight rooms, kitchen, pantry, bathroom, cellar, stables, coachhouse, bay loft, &:. The whole enclosed with a substantial stone wall. The land is tastefully laid out and planted with fruit and ornamental trees, also a nice flower garden.” [Advertiser 31 Aug 1891]

 

“An "At home" was given by Mrs. Collier at her residence, ‘The Terraces’, Avenue-road, N.A., last Friday evening. A charming musical programme, vocal and instrumental, was thoroughly appreciated by the guests.” [Critic 27 Aug 1898]

 

“Chalmers Church. A Garden Fete in aid of the Church Funds will be held at The Terraces, Avenue Road. N.A., the Residence of James Shaw, Esq. On Saturday Afternoon, October 25. from 3 to 6 p.m. To be opened by Mrs. James Shaw.” [Evening Journal 24 Oct 1902]

 

“House-Parlourmaid, two in family. . . Mrs. Hackett, The Terraces, Avenue road, N.A.” [Register 2 Apr 1908]

 

“At The Terraces, Avenue Road, North Adelaide, Johnson & Company are instructed by J. T. Hackett, Esq. (who has sold The Terraces) to sell — His Magnificent Furniture, Rare and Choice Pictures, Costly and Valuable Bric-aBrac, and Genuine. French Bronzes.” [Register 10 Feb 1912]

 

“Mr. Simpson Newland has taken Mr. Hackett's residence, 'The Terraces', Avenue-road, North Adelaide.” [Chronicle 17 Feb 1912]

 

“A successful A.A.M.A. garden fete was held on the grounds of the residence of Mr. Simpson Newland, ‘'The Terraces’, Avenue-road, North Adelaide, in aid of the trench comforts and stretcher-bearers and men in the S.A. Ambulance Funds.” [Advertiser 24 Sep 1917]

 

“Methodist Hospital. . . purchased the property known as "The Terraces,'' from Mr. Simpson Newland. It is at the corner of Kermode-street and Avenue road, North Adelaide, and contains one and a half acres of land and residence, the home of Mr. Newland. There is also a beautifully laid out garden and all modern, conveniences. In the immediate vicinity stand the Children's Hospital, RuRua, and Quambi.” [Register 22 Aug 1918]

 

THE AVENUES

Built 1876 for William H Sharland, architect Daniel Garlick, sold to George Brookman 1908 and converted to Ru Rua Private Hospital, purchased by Memorial Hospital 1918.

 

“Mr. T. Johnson, M.P., and Mr. W. H. Sharland have built two handsome houses, of 17 rooms each, on the Avenue road, North Adelaide. The fronts are of dressed Teatree Gully freestone. The houses are fitted up with bathrooms, wardrobes, and with all the latest improvements for comfort as well as appearance, at a cost of about £4,000 each. The contractors were Messrs. Brown and Thompson; architect, Mr. D. Garlick.” [Advertiser 29 Jan 1876]

 

“To Let on Lease, or For Sale, the Commodious and Well-appointed .Modern Family Residence, No. 1, Avenue-Road, N.A., containing seventeen rooms, pantry, wine cellar, lumber and bathrooms ; outside — man's room, laundry, three-stall stable, hay house, two coach-houses, wood and coal house, and every convenience. . . Apply on the premises, No. 1, Avenue-road, N.A., W. H. Sharland.” [Express & Telegraph 13 Jun 1885]

 

“Ru-Rua will 'be opened as a Methodist Hospital shortly. Workmen are busy renovating the whole building.” [Register 10 Jan 1920]

 

 

1,988 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on January 17, 2019
Taken on March 19, 2018