Adelaide St Francis Xavier Catholic cathedral
“On entering from the vestibule the vista of grouped shafts sustaining the clerestory is very effective.” [Register 13 Apr 1926]
Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.
“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]
“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]
“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]
Adelaide St Francis Xavier Catholic cathedral
“On entering from the vestibule the vista of grouped shafts sustaining the clerestory is very effective.” [Register 13 Apr 1926]
Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.
“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]
“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]
“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]