Back to photostream

Trinity Episcopal Church

Trinity Episcopal Church, built largely with funds from Paul Mellon, commenced construction in 1951 and offered its first service on September 28, 1960.

 

It was designed by NYC-based architect H. Page Cross. He also designed the Mellon mansion at Rokeby.

 

(At Rokeby, the Brick House, designed in 1941 by William Adams Delano, was vacated following Paul's first wife's death and remarriage to Bunny. They had H. Page Cross design Little Oak Spring, the much cozier farmhouse, completed in 1955, where Mrs. Mellon still lives. Cross also worked closely with her on the designs of the Mellons’ houses in New York, Antigua, and Cape Cod. Both the Cape Cod and Atigua properties have been placed on the market for sale in the last year.)

 

H. Page Cross of New York adapted the style of 12th and 13th century French country churches, using native sandstone that was quarried in Warrenton, Va.

 

As for the other key elements -

 

Robert Hanback, a master builder, made the beautiful great cross that graces the east wall. As for the imports, the spectacular stained glass windows are from the late Joep Nicholas of Holland; the ironwork is from P.A. Fiebiger, father and son, of New York City.

 

The Organ was designed by Joseph Whiteford of the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company in Boston; there are candelabra from 16th century Austria and 18th century France, and other candlesticks from Poland, England, Spain and Colonial Virginia. The pew end carvings are the work of late and legendary Heinz Warneke and depict plants native to the countryside.

2,236 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on March 5, 2012
Taken on March 3, 2012